Is a DS a good investment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

helldemon47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 helldemon47
Member since 2005 • 609 Posts

I have plenty of cash for one, but since I need it to last a few weeks till my paycheck, I'm going to trade in games and depending on how much I get, I'm getting a DS. Is that a good idea? I'm looking foward to getting Brain Age 2 (I'm getting the new red & black DS bundle), but I'm not sure what other games would appeal to me.

So I need to know two things? Is a DS a good investment? I woud not be traveling around with it. I'd be sitting on my couch playing. And what are your personal favorite games for it? I've checked review scores, but some of the highest rated games aren't games I'm all that interested in. Thanks guys.

krislim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 krislim
Member since 2005 • 485 Posts
the ds is a great investment i dont really travel alot with my ds either its tons of fun playing it at home or on the go. I highly recommend you get one. As for the games Mario Kart is fun so is Pokemon and alot others let us know what kind of genres of games you usually are into.
AznTakumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AznTakumi
Member since 2007 • 750 Posts

Yes it is, the ds has so much to offer good games, something any other games can't give you, two screens, etc.

Avatar image for depresedmichfan
depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 depresedmichfan
Member since 2005 • 1109 Posts
i think so. lots of great games.
Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

Honestly, I can almost guarantee you that those "games you aren't interested in" you'll probably be interested in when you pick them up and play them. Previously, I hated Advance Wars, now I love it. Nintendogs, as weird of a game as it sounds, is very impressive to play and to this date is the game that takes the most advantage of the DS' hardware between the graphics, voice recognition, and touch control. Mario Kart DS is also a MUST HAVE game for any DS owner, New Super Mario Bros. is a nostalgic throw back to the old school days, Yoshi's Island DS is a more challenging rendition of a Mario game, and both of the Castlevania games on the DS are great (by the way, for those that didn't know, another new Castlevania was announced today). Metroid Prime: Hunters is also a great purchase, whether you like Metroid or not.

The DS is a great investment.

depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 depresedmichfan

Honestly, I can almost guarantee you that those "games you aren't interested in" you'll probably be interested in when you pick them up and play them. Previously, I hated Advance Wars, now I love it. Nintendogs, as weird of a game as it sounds, is very impressive to play and to this date is the game that takes the most advantage of the DS' hardware between the graphics, voice recognition, and touch control. Mario Kart DS is also a MUST HAVE game for any DS owner, New Super Mario Bros. is a nostalgic throw back to the old school days, Yoshi's Island DS is a more challenging rendition of a Mario game, and both of the Castlevania games on the DS are great (by the way, for those that didn't know, another new Castlevania was announced today). Metroid Prime: Hunters is also a great purchase, whether you like Metroid or not.

REVOLUTIONfreak

yeah i love all the games you mentioned... except i haven't yet play metroid hunters. i love the gc games but i hear this game is nothing like it and there's too many cheaters online. is this not true?

soul_motor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 soul_motor
Member since 2003 • 2348 Posts
Let's put it this way, it's the only system that gets powered on in my house on a near daily basis. Yes, it's a good investment when you calculate price compared to utility.
depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 depresedmichfan

Let's put it this way, it's the only system that gets powered on in my house on a near daily basis. Yes, it's a good investment when you calculate price compared to utility.soul_motor

yeah it gets about as much play time as my 360, and i have lots of great 360 games.

helldemon47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 helldemon47
Member since 2005 • 609 Posts

REVOLUTIONfreak

Well I don't get my paycheck for another few weeks (I work part-time at EB but the discount doesn't apply to systems). I was always thinking of getting Mario Kart and I was considering Metroid Prime Hunters. I know the other games are really good, but they just don't scream out to me. Oh new question. What the battery life? My friend said a DS is like an iPod in that you should only charge it when it dies or else its charge dies faster.

Ellimist314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Ellimist314
Member since 2007 • 1375 Posts
You should definitely get a DS, it's a fantastic system with amazing games. As for what games you should get for it, almost everything in the recommendation thread is worth buying, even if some of them don't sound interesting. If you have access to DS compatible wi-fi thenthey're even better.
phamhienp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 phamhienp
Member since 2004 • 153 Posts

Oh new question. What the battery life? My friend said a DS is like an iPod in that you should only charge it when it dies or else its charge dies faster.

REVOLUTIONfreak

I think your friend is wrong. If I'm correct, the DS Lite uses a lithium battery. It's actually better to charge anytime you can. If you charge it only when it's dead you'll strain the battery, which will end up killing your battery for good faster.

... Atleast that's what the instruction says for my rechargable lithium batteries

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Here's my top 5.

1. Mario Kart

2. Custom Robo

3. Age of Empires

4. Pokemon Diamond

5. Final Fantasy III

The DS is the best gaming platform you can buy from this gen so far.

dark_hero_riku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 dark_hero_riku
Member since 2006 • 240 Posts

Well you will here alot of good "investment) since your on the ds board, but I still think it's one of the best handhelds out now. The roster of games are good, and the ones that are coming seem to be promising as well. Some of the games I recommend is

Megaman ZX

Pokemon diamond, or pearl

FF III, though it is a very hard game, it makes it fun

Sonic rush

megaman star force

dragon ball z super sonic warriors 2.

These are only the ones I've bought but I also here Elite beat agents, luna knights,mario kart ds, custom robo arena, and metriod prime hunters are good. As for battery life I'm not sure

piano_lord92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 piano_lord92
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

The lite dshas FANTASTIC battery life (about 18 hours when you use the lowest brightness). And you should charge it when it is FULLY out. It won't make much different, and it takes 500 charges to lower the battery capacity to about 70-75%. As of games, NSMB, Mario Kart, FF3, and Super Mario 64 DS are excellent games IMO. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl is also really good.

phamhienp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 phamhienp
Member since 2004 • 153 Posts
"A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles. The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible. Instead, charge the battery more often or use a larger battery. There is no concern of memory when applying unscheduled charges.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate."
specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 specialed
Member since 2003 • 3669 Posts
[QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

helldemon47

Well I don't get my paycheck for another few weeks (I work part-time at EB but the discount doesn't apply to systems). I was always thinking of getting Mario Kart and I was considering Metroid Prime Hunters. I know the other games are really good, but they just don't scream out to me. Oh new question. What the battery life? My friend said a DS is like an iPod in that you should only charge it when it dies or else its charge dies faster.

[/QUOTE/]

The fact that he told you it is like an ipod if you charge it too often is wrong. However, the ds battery is able to stay at full power for only so many charges before it starts losing some longevity. Just dont charge it uncessarily when it really doesnt need it and you will be fine.

Oh, and Animal Crossing is one of those games that you will want to play every day for about an hour or two. Fun and compeling, but no need to play for hours on end. And watch out for MySims next month...

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 specialed

Oh new question. What the battery life? My friend said a DS is like an iPod in that you should only charge it when it dies or else its charge dies faster.

phamhienp

I think your friend is wrong. If I'm correct, the DS Lite uses a lithium battery. It's actually better to charge anytime you can. If you charge it only when it's dead you'll strain the battery, which will end up killing your battery for good faster.

... Atleast that's what the instruction says for my rechargable lithium batteries

No. Waiting to charge the battery till its about to lose power is not going to strain the battery. Just liek you said that it has the lithium battery and you can charge it at anytime, its the same if you wait to do it untilits aout to lose its charge. Just dont keep recharging and recharging unnecesarily since the manual says that it only handls xxx amount of charges before longevity starts to dwindle some.

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 specialed

It won't make much different, and it takes 500 charges to lower the battery capacity to about 70-75%.

piano_lord92

Finally, a factual post about the battery. Thank you.

TreetarD93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TreetarD93
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts
the ds is ok, ive had my lite for about a year now and, well, its just not much my style.  i mean some of the games are great, like mario kart, Metroid and final fantasy 3.  the ds has a few great games, but sorry ds fanboys, i just think psp is generally better for hardcore gamers.  if you dont play games that much i would sudgest ds, cuz its great fun if u play it in 15 min to 45 min blocks, but gets kinda boreing after that.  if you want someone that can playback music, videos, photos, browse the internet and has some great games, get psp.  but if your on a budget and want some quick fun get a ds.  its more about what style of gamer you are.  
apu0404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 apu0404
Member since 2005 • 3682 Posts
This guy doesn't think so http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25869962
Rockhopper_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rockhopper_45
Member since 2007 • 1045 Posts
the ds is ok, ive had my lite for about a year now and, well, its just not much my style. i mean some of the games are great, like mario kart, Metroid and final fantasy 3. the ds has a few great games, but sorry ds fanboys, i just think psp is generally better for hardcore gamers. if you dont play games that much i would sudgest ds, cuz its great fun if u play it in 15 min to 45 min blocks, but gets kinda boreing after that. if you want someone that can playback music, videos, photos, browse the internet and has some great games, get psp. but if your on a budget and want some quick fun get a ds. its more about what style of gamer you are. TreetarD93
I don't agree. The DS has games for everyone. It brings a intivative way to play portable games that in my opinion the PSP just doesn't have. It has fun games with unique control schmes. Of course the PSP has good games like all systems. I think the DS gives more bang for its buck. It has more options of games to play. Like if you are going on long trips I would suggest puzzle quest or Final Fantasy 3. Or games you can pick up and play any time like Animal Crosing, Kirby Squeak Squad, and Mario Kart. Sorry PSP fanboy The DS pwns all. Look at the sales and games
Ganodon44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ganodon44
Member since 2006 • 627 Posts
I just got my ds about 4 months ago, and I have been playing it tons ever since. Definatly get Custom Robo.. its an amazingly fun game :D
SaintBlaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 SaintBlaze
Member since 2007 • 7736 Posts
It's a great investment.
aerisol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 aerisol
Member since 2005 • 466 Posts

This is straight from the manual...

"The battery can be charged approx. 500 times, but performance may decrease after repeated recharges, depend. on usage and temperature conditions...Battery life may also decrease ove time. After 500 charges, battery life may be only 70% of the battery life when new...

Battery life is 15-19 hrs on the lowest screen brightness setting, depending on game activity. On the brightest setting, battery life is 5-8 hours."

As everyone can see, NO WHERE does it say in the ds manuals that charging the ds when the battery life is half full or almost out or almost full will mess the battery life up.

It SIMPLY says that after 500 charges, approximately, that the battery life will decrease.

So, there is no confusion people.

specialed
that should answer your battery life question. and i think everyone has the whole "is a DS a good investment?" question covered lol
Ruhdezee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Ruhdezee
Member since 2007 • 975 Posts
id have to say that its worth it since i play it almost every chance i get and sometimes ignore my wii for weeks if i can get a good addicting game so go for it by the way u should get pokemon or luminous arc if ur in srpgs adn roleplaying
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts
I just bought one a week ago, and I love it. I saw Pokemon Pearl, and it made me think of my younger days on Pokemon Red and Blue, so I bought a DS. I bought New Mario Bros. DS and Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. Phoenix Wright is awesome! I have a PSP, and it is a good investment, but DS just has a nostalgic feel to it with great innovation. I still love my PSP too though. I play both a lot.
chuckleechuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 chuckleechuck
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts
Get FF3 to start yourself off.
rugby401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rugby401
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i understand but i seriously think a ds is a heck of a lot better don't be mad understand me
depresedmichfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 depresedmichfan

i understand but i seriously think a ds is a heck of a lot better don't be mad understand merugby401

huh?

MangoLlamas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#30 MangoLlamas
Member since 2007 • 2325 Posts
it depends, if you like the games it provides then yes, if not, then yes, if you want it then yes, if you dont then yes, if you likenintendo then yes, if you dont like nintendo then yes... either way its a win win situation :D
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

One of the reasons why I chose it over any other handhelds is simply because I could still play all my favorite GBA games on it. I like it because it's portable and I can take it with me anywhere. The DS games are constantly improving (and there are more of them).

As for the battery - when the RED LIGHT GOES ON - it's time to recharge - it's as simple as that.

mike0015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mike0015
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts

helldemon47

Dude If You Work at EB games then you should know a lot about games and system hardware. Its on the aplication. "how much do you know about Hardware games software etc." Is on it. I also Work at Gamestop (EB games, Gamestop same company).

joker730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 joker730
Member since 2007 • 1561 Posts
yes
allengarfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 allengarfield
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts

phamhienp

Yes, she is right! This is important for DS

specialed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 specialed
[QUOTE="phamhienp"][QUOTE="REVOLUTIONfreak"]

allengarfield

Yes, she is right! This is important for DS

Act, not completely true. Just read the post a few above this one...It is a copy and paste of a thread ai made a few days ago and it is info STRAIGHT from the ds manual.

shell-shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shell-shocker
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I recommend:

1.Mario Kart

2.Animal Crossing Wild World

3.Pokemon Diamond

4.Custom Robo

5.Either Castlevania Game

But yea the DS is totally a great thing to get in to.Alot of games use the touch screen while other games use it some. But either way Nintendo and the DS are still great so buy it!!!