Interested in WiiU but Gamepad feels like Kinect requirment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@steaminpotatoes said:

Okay don't shout at me this isn't another I hate the gamepad thread but it feels like the old Kinect requirement but worse because you can only buy from Nintendo if a replacement is required.

Wouldn't mind a Wii U but having the gamepad as a requirement to operate the system and not replaceable at retail really bothers me, especially if it breaks or goes missing in several years time when these things are no longer in production and can only be found at $1000 on ebay because of there rarity, surly at this point the system is bricked ?

Saw one for cheap on eBay , just the Unit and though that would do , but before purchasing did some research ; to my horror the gamepad was forced on the consumer just to get the system going and for accessing settings, this has put me of buying one to be honest and just the general attitude from Nintendo regarding this;

In the same way Xbox One forced you to have a Kinect even if it was a gimmick and the Wii U pad can be useful , the fact of the matter it isn't optional and not purchasable at retail.

/Disappointed =(

On that note guess I won't buy one till this is resolved or a controller-less bundle is released , either or would get me to buy one but as it stands I cannot commit, just not happy with how it stands.

whats your problem with the gamepad? its just a big xbox or playstation controller.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@steaminpotatoes said:

Okay don't shout at me this isn't another I hate the gamepad thread but it feels like the old Kinect requirement but worse because you can only buy from Nintendo if a replacement is required.

Wouldn't mind a Wii U but having the gamepad as a requirement to operate the system and not replaceable at retail really bothers me, especially if it breaks or goes missing in several years time when these things are no longer in production and can only be found at $1000 on ebay because of there rarity, surly at this point the system is bricked ?

Saw one for cheap on eBay , just the Unit and though that would do , but before purchasing did some research ; to my horror the gamepad was forced on the consumer just to get the system going and for accessing settings, this has put me of buying one to be honest and just the general attitude from Nintendo regarding this;

In the same way Xbox One forced you to have a Kinect even if it was a gimmick and the Wii U pad can be useful , the fact of the matter it isn't optional and not purchasable at retail.

/Disappointed =(

On that note guess I won't buy one till this is resolved or a controller-less bundle is released , either or would get me to buy one but as it stands I cannot commit, just not happy with how it stands.

I use my gamepad everyday. I don't even think about it anymore. I lent it to my brother and I practically had to suplex him to get it back. The requirement of the gamepad itself is a bummer, but Nintendo won't be ditching it. Not since Amiibo made the NFC functionality a must have for the gamepad. If you think about it, the gamepad is just the pro controller spread out with a screen and speakers. Its way better than most people think it would be.

I wouldn't doubt it if in a couple years, Nintendo releases a patch to make it so you don't need the gamepad. It just won't happen until the end of its life cycle and they are fully focused on their next gen system.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

You don't need the gamepad to control the console. Some GAMES require it, but certainly not all of them. You can get through the menus and everything with a controller pro or even a Wii remote.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@steaminpotatoes said:

/Disappointed =(

Buy Wii U, + get Pro Controller...set Wii U to set game option menu on screen...that's it leave your gamepad in the dust...only some games required exclusive gamepad..majority can be played without gamepad. IF you are hoping for Nintendo to release gamepad-less Wii U mostlikely not gonna happen. :P

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

Sometimes in life we have to make hard choices, but getting a Wii U wasn't one of them for me. I too would like to see the Gamepad sold in stores for that sense of security. The Gamepad is so convenient I hope future Nintendo consoles have one too. If mine broke I would not hesitate to get a replacement one from Nintendo. If you have ever used a tablet, the advantages of having one tied to a console should be apparent. The touchscreen is convenient for navigating the system menu, browsing the e-shop, typing, and browsing the internet. (You can do these things with a traditional controller on other consoles, but the Gamepad is more convenient). You can play games on the Gamepad while watching TV. Like others have said the NFC is important for the Amiibo figures. Disney Infinity 2.0 uses the Gamepad to display missions and in-game bonus item collections. I have not tried to use any art apps for the Gamepad yet, but that should be fun too.

thinkcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 thinkcap
Member since 2015 • 54 Posts

Just get a Pro controller on the side, you can do everything with that. The gamepad can be useful but it's a tad heavy.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@steaminpotatoes: I get what you mean. Not everyone is going to like the Gamepad. Most of the games I have allow the Pro controller to be used. So, if you were to get a Wii U, you wouldn't need to use the Gamepad on many occasions. Smash Brothers, Bayonetta, Donkey Kong, Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, and more allow you to use other controllers. Only a minority absolutely require you to use the Gamepad, such as Deus Ex.

You do need the Gamepad for initial setup. After that, you can set it on the charger and disregard it for the most part. I can see Nintendo releasing a patch in the future unshackling the Wii U from the Gamepad. The controller has a screen and screens don't last.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Nintendo could at least sell Gamepads separately at retail. if people break theirs or lose a Gamepad. Given it is the largest controller it would be hard to lose a Gamepad but still.

cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

I have no problems with the new controller/tab. I love being able to have the news or a movie on while playing a game on the screen. Also more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Not to say there isn't a definite need for the pro controller though.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I am with you, I really dislike the fact that the Gamepad is an absolute requirement to do some simple stuff such as going to the settings. At least you can turn the console on and off with the Wiimote but then again it turns the gamepad on regardless.

I don't hate the Gamepad, I think its pretty good. The fact that it's required for some operations that could just as easily be done with another controller is what I hate. But with all of that being said, this was not enough to hold me back from buying a WiiU and I think you should still give it a chance because of all the amazing games this thing has to offer. Don't wait for a controller-less bundle, it's simply not going to happen.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Gamepad is unlike kinect because it is a fully functional controller. You can play games that don't require the touch screen on it. However you can't play non connect games with kinect.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

Well, I'd say fear of replacing the GamePad is a valid concern. I've played my Wii U quite a bit, take decent care of it, it hasn't given me any trouble or shown signs of wearing out. I hear getting it repaired/replaced is about $85 with Nintendo, though not sure if cost has gone down since. But, Nintendo generally makes their stuff sturdy enough from my experience. I don't want to go testing the boundaries of its durability but if you respect your hardware I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

@steaminpotatoes: the kinect was a useless requirement. The game pad is not. The game pad is actually useful and allows you to play without needing the tv.