In-game voice chat on Wii U... a cheap solution

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by donalbane (16368 posts) -

I don't have any games that support multiplayer voice chat, but I just heard that 4 pole headsets work with Wii U. I have a pair of Astro A40s with a 4 pole plug, but I don't have any games to test it out on. Boo! I hope they work when I get a chance to try them out. They just have to be plugged into the Wii gamepad.

If you don't know what a 4 pole plug looks like, they look like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwkM_K9sL6oN6RbKz1zoF

The different 'stripes' carry stereo audio AND mic data. It's like the kind of plug on the iPod earbuds that have an in-line mic. I understand the iPod headphones work great with the Wii U for in-game chat. Anyway, if you guys have a multiplayer game and some iPod headphones with a mic, try it out and report back. And if anybody has a pair of Astro A40s, I sure would like to verify if they work or not.

#2 Posted by nini200 (9931 posts) -
A cheap solution would be to enable the Bluetooth that's already inside the WiiU.
#3 Posted by donalbane (16368 posts) -

A cheap solution would be to enable the Bluetooth that's already inside the WiiU.nini200
So the Wii U has Bluetooth but they don't let you use it?

#4 Posted by nini200 (9931 posts) -

[QUOTE="nini200"]A cheap solution would be to enable the Bluetooth that's already inside the WiiU.donalbane

So the Wii U has Bluetooth but they don't let you use it?

Pretty much as of now, yep
#5 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -
As far as I understand they are using BT for the controllers, same as the Wii did. If it is compatible with an audio headset is a different matter. I suppose that, if more and more developers ask for voice chat and headset support, it is possible that an update may add voice chat support using directly the BT, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it
#6 Posted by guitarsmash09 (105 posts) -

Or just buy the ipod headsets that have built-in mics and it works...

#7 Posted by Tonindo (473 posts) -

I use my iPhone headphones for chat.

#8 Posted by nini200 (9931 posts) -

I use my iPhone headphones for chat.

Tonindo
I use my Nokia BH905i headset for it. I wish they'd enable that Bluetooth so I can stop using the wire.
#9 Posted by donalbane (16368 posts) -

Or just buy the ipod headsets that have built-in mics and it works...

guitarsmash09
Too much of a hurry to read the OP?
#10 Posted by Bangerman15 (1978 posts) -
I have an a40, but I barely play Blops2 with the gamepad.. only when someone is using the tv. I will try it out maybe later though and attach the mic to see what happens, but FYI when I plug in the the headset with no mic attached a little headset sign appears next to my name in a MP lobby for blops2 so I'm pretty sure if I attach the mic it will work since the game obviously recognizes it as a microphone. That's why the little headset icon pops up. At least thats how it is when you plug in a mic in the xbox version
#11 Posted by donalbane (16368 posts) -
I have an a40, but I barely play Blops2 with the gamepad.. only when someone is using the tv. I will try it out maybe later though and attach the mic to see what happens, but FYI when I plug in the the headset with no mic attached a little headset sign appears next to my name in a MP lobby for blops2 so I'm pretty sure if I attach the mic it will work since the game obviously recognizes it as a microphone. That's why the little headset icon pops up. At least thats how it is when you plug in a mic in the xbox versionBangerman15
That's great news if true! Thanks. There's a bunch of confusion over at the Astro forums about this, so your information will make some folks happy. Seems the Astro people don't know how the Wii U's wacky chat works, so they aren't very helpful when people go there with questions. They don't understand that you don't need the mixamp since the Wii U has its own simulated surround sound.
#12 Posted by ShuichiChamp24 (5014 posts) -
I wonder why not just use the mic on the gamepad. Mass Effect 3 uses it.
#13 Posted by donalbane (16368 posts) -
I wonder why not just use the mic on the gamepad. Mass Effect 3 uses it.ShuichiChamp24
I saw people saying that you can hear the button presses on the controller and that there's a ton of clicking noises. I think you're right, though... it would be the best solution by far.