I'm really mad at Nintendo for the first time in my life

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jKryptonite
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

After mistakingly believing Castlevania HoD, AoS and CotM were going to be realeased on virtual console this fall, I got really p-d off. Turns out they only released them in NA. No Pal version. These games were strong reasons for me to even buy the wii u. WHY? Don't you want my money? I seriously don't understand why they are so skimpy on the VC. They can hire a 50 man team to port every good game they ever made, and have their salaries been paid a million times over. This would be a hell of a good reason to buy their hardware as well. Please hire new marketing people, cause you just made me want to sell my nintendo. (That used to be unthinkable, and i keep all of them)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Castlevania is not nintendos game. its not the decision whether the game appears on the VC or not. it belongs to konami.

there is probably some messed up legal reason why it hasnt appeared on the PAL VC but whatever it is its also outside nintendos control.

nintendo cant distribute games that dont belong to them without the owners permission.

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jKryptonite

@osan0: I can't see what that legal reason could be since it's released in NA. When comparing the list of games available in NA to Europe, it looks like they just don't care. I don't even have access to the nintendo store in my country, making all redeem codes worthless. Is this a legal issue as well?

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

So wait... you bought a Wii U for 3 GBA games? Sorry but that is about the worst reason you could buy the system. Why not just get an old GBA, DS or DSLite and pick up the games for those.

It's not Nintendo's fault that you made a mistake and assumed they would be releasing on Europe's E-Shop. The virtual console in Europe has always been vastly different to the one in the USA, both regions get different games at different times, sometimes months before the other.

Also as said above Nintendo can't just put what they want onto the E-Shop. There are factors that have to be taken into account when releasing an old game. They need permission from the developer and publisher before they can even consider it, and just because they have permission to do it in one region, doesn't always mean they can do it worldwide, as many games get published by different company's in different regions.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

on netflix US everyone can watch all 7 seasons of star trek TNG. on the UK netflix they had seasons 1-4 for a while...then lost a few seasons and gained a few more (at the mo i think its 5-7).

this is not netflixs fault (why would they intentionally limit content like that?). its a deal with whoever controls the distribution of star trek in the UK.

copyright and distribution of content is a messed up legal minefield. the distribution rights for the game in the EU may belong to a different company. maybe there were deals done to distribute the game on other platforms exclusively in the EU.

as for the lack of access to the estore in certain countries...no idea. that is a quiestion for nintendo.

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jKryptonite

@spike6958: These games tipped the scale for me, since I haven't played them and I am a fan of the series. Is that so hard to believe.These games has been listed on the Pal VC site as upcoming for almost a year now, and I was gutted to find out they just released them in NA. This means they will come out eventually, making it less probable it is a legal issue.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I wish I could trade you the Castlevania games that we just received in North America for the Donkey Kong Country games that you received in Europe, but we did not get in North America.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

but europe got donkey kong country this month

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jKryptonite

@starwolf474: @starwolf474: I guess we have to be patient. A necessary trait for a Nintendo-fan nowadays..

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@jKryptonite: I don't find it hard to believe, just incredibly stupid. Why would you spend £200+ on a WiiU, just to play 3 GBA games, when you could have just gotten a GBA or DS/Lite from eBay with the three games for around £50? Also, why wouldn't you do research prior to buying the system to make sure the games you wanted where even available?

I understand been excited for Virtual Console games if you already own the system, I personally was very excited to see the DKC Trilogy launch on WiiU this past month, but I wouldn't have even considered buying a WiiU just for them, when could get an SNES for much less.

jKryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jKryptonite

@spike6958: So you're calling me stupid for wanting to play certain games on my console. Why do nintendo even have VC when you can get all the old stuff on e-bay. You sound like you work for their marketing staff yourself. Is that why this is so bitter for you. These games TIPPED THE SCALE, meaning I was interested in other games as well. Me and my girlfriend also play on it together. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't have bought one until Zelda arrived. So do you think the VC content is sufficiant yourself? How about first party content? Two years in, and there is hardly any games for it. The slow release rate at the end of the wii's lifespan just carried over to the u, and it's worrysome. I practically got every Nintendo except DS and 3ds. I don't mind giving Nintendo my money. I just feel they are dropping the ball bigtime on the wii u and it's down to poor marketing.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I want DKC but only europe gets it. I guess we all miss out in one way or another. But at least the games are coming.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Don't cha know? It's all Konami's fault! Obviously they don't wish to make any money by making their games available on the VC. C'mon TC, you should know this.

Yea......no. Considering how many games Nintendo touted upon initially revealing the VC all the way back when the Wii was announced, and how many of those game STILL haven't hit, you'll excuse me for not buying the bullshit excuse that "Nintendo's at the mercy of legality!" or some other apologist NDF line. If Nintendo really wanted these games available, they'd find a way to get them out there. There is nothing but benefit for both developer and publisher to make older games available. If legal has anything to do with it, I'd be willing to bet it's simply because Nintendo isn't being pro-active in engaging these companies.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

NOE is probably trying to space out their VC releases to limit 'droughts' in the coming months, meaning that Europe will probably get it next month. That said, as with the Netflix example, legality could have something to do with it.

On the subject of Nintendo's generally mediocre record at getting VC support, I agree that they could do better and wonder if part of the issue is that most third parties simply find that there is not enough money to be made from it to even bother supporting it. If that is the case, I hope Nintendo offers more of an incentive in order to get more support for the service.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It's so annoying that different titles are designated to different territories and so the experience becomes uneven for people with the same system. In future, they make deals adhere to worldwide conditions, this makes more sense these days because the internet doesn't care about physical borders.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts

Yeah, I've been hoping for a long while now they'd release Metroid: Zero Mission for Wii U and they've just sat on their hands with that, even though Japan got it back in June.