If sales dont pick up can this be Nintendos last console ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by victojua (4 posts) -

Iwata have said that NIntendo is not good at competing whit xbox and playstation. So they try getting the casuals but they are playing on phones and tablets. And the Nintendo fanboys are not enough too make a profit on. So if they dont want to compete whit xbox and playstation ( and soon steam box ) who are there target group? It dont make much sense too stay in console businesses. And I know thy have shit ton of money but that dont mean they want too lose it. Time have changed and I think Nintendo will need too change in one way or another.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (31156 posts) -

Nintendoomed.

...not

#3 Posted by b4il (91 posts) -

they should focus on the handheld market for kids and casuals (sales proof that there is still a market besides phones and tablets) and focus on their long year fans and core gamers with a new console in a few years. something like the gamecube 2, with a normal controller, up-to-date hardware and all their big franchises with beautiful graphics.

i know they won't do that, but i'd be awesome

#4 Edited by trugs26 (5734 posts) -

They say they aren't competing with them, but they don't mean it the way you're thinking. They do compete with Sony and Microsoft, but their mindset is not to compete, so they run their own course and do their own thing. In a way, they definitely do this. That's all they mean by that.

In terms of being in the console market, I don't see why people want them to leave so much. Diversity is great, and they're the only ones really trying something different. For better or worse, variety is always a good thing - it allows the industry to grow in ways we wouldn't normally think possible. It'd be pretty boring without Nintendo in the hardware business.

#5 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

If they make compelling software people will buy their console.

The Wii U won't get even close to being as successful as the Wii, but by the end of it it'll probably sell more units than the GameCube.

I don't think Nintendo will leave the console market. They bring in some neat ideas like Miiverse and the GamePad, both of which I really like. I'd hate to not have at least one player in the market doing something innovative or different than the rest. Call it gimmicky if you want, but it's a main draw that the others usually fail to do. There's not much different between those platforms and a PC, where as with the Wii U there is a difference.

#6 Edited by KBFloYd (14377 posts) -

actually...the only thing casual so far about the wiiU... is the console itself (small harddrive)

as for the games..... there have been no casual games aside from game & wario, nintendo land and maybe new super mario bros U...

3 games in 1 year...nsmbU sold 2 million units...nintendoland wasnt a casual game as much as we thought...the gameplay was hard and not easy to pick up like other casual games...and game & wario had no advertising what so ever.

this year is the year they are going for the casuals especially.... games like

wii Sports Club

Wii Fit U

Wii U party

Sonic & Mario at Sochi Olympic games

ninetndo is finally going for the wii Audience.... will it pay off?

we'll see..

check out the casual bundles for japan..due out in november.

#7 Posted by wingflyer (32 posts) -

Most of my friends are now into ipads, tablets, and other handhelds and not playing consoles much any more. Guess the technology is continuously changing and have heard comments that they like the handhelds better.

Personally, I like the consoles better, but I would prefer them easier to use and not with all the gimmicks.

#8 Edited by pillarrocks (1320 posts) -

The Wii U seems like it's not competing against Sony and Microsoft, so if they aren't competing against them, then what the heck are they doing? I really feel the Wii U needs 3rd party support besides first party games. Like exclusives that can only be found on Wii U and not later appear on Ps3 and Xbox 360.

#9 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4864 posts) -

If Nintendo survived with the Gamecube, I'm sure they'll survive with the Wii U. It's possible for the Wii U to pick up sales just like the 3DS after its drought.

#10 Edited by b4il (91 posts) -

the question is when will this drought be over? i don't see a constant flow of games coming. for now, we only got november and february for the next two big games

#11 Posted by outworld222 (2462 posts) -

Actually it may depend on how much people are willing to give money while buying electronics. Economy is shaky right now.

#12 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

They will make it out of this just fine.

While the Wii U is struggling, the 3DS (especially now with Pokemon) will keep printing money.

Nintendo is a pretty stubborn company (for the good and for the bad) so it is unlikely they would drop out of the race after the relative failure of one home console.

#13 Posted by GSJones1994 (328 posts) -

Anyone who claims that Nintendo will go the way of Sega after 8th gen clearly fails to understand the circumstances that caused Sega's downfall. Sega had multiple failed hardware releases. The Sega Game Gear, Sega CD, 32X, Sega Nomad and Sega Saturn were all failures that got Sega damn near bankrupt. Sega FAILED to transition Sonic to 3D as good as Nintendo did with Mario. Sega's top-tier franchises never reached the same levels of popularity that Nintendo's franchises did. Sega never had the market leader in handheld sales to back up their consoles. Sega was ran by idiots like Bernie Stolar which dragged the company down. Anyone who claims that Nintendo will go under clearly has a limited understanding of how business works. Sega didn't go under because the Dreamcast didn't sell, they went under due to poor business choices and management, plain and simple. Nintendo is NOWHERE near Sega's level of desperation with the Dreamcast. So if you still think this will be the last console gen for Nintendo, please research Sega's downfall to find out how Sega failed.

#14 Edited by GSJones1994 (328 posts) -

And if you all still need convincing on why Nintendo will be fine this gen, here's another fact that's overlooked by many:

No home console in history has ever been able to gain adequate market share post-launch while keeping a price point of over $300. The NES, SNES and Genesis were all priced at $200 or less. The PlayStation soared from the start at $300. The PS2 took over the world at $300, and that's because it was the cheapest DVD player you could get at the time. The Atari 2600 flew off shelves thanks to it's $200 price point. The N64 sold pretty well due to it's $200 price point, despite being crushed by the PlayStation. Even the GameCube, which is considered to be a failure by many, sold decently, had better software sales and a higher profit margin that the original Xbox thanks to it's $200 price point. However, the Sega Saturn failed, thanks to it having a $400 price tag before the PS1 launched. The 3DO was a commercial failure, thanks to it's $700 price tag and lack of quality titles to move systems. But the Wii dominated the competition thanks to it's $250 price point. And the PS3 and Xbox 360 didn't become big hits until their prices dropped into the $200-300 range. And guess what console is priced at $300 this gen? That's right, the Wii U.

#15 Edited by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

I don't think you understand what Iwata meant. Either way the WiiU will not be their last console.

#16 Posted by b4il (91 posts) -

if sales don't reach 10 million by the end of 2014, they should really ask themselves why. answer: bad marketing, bad hardware power, weird controller.

if that'll be the case, i hope they will either improve on their motion controls for their next console or go back to basic and great hardware, but please nintendo, please don't force yourself to be innovative... it's all about the great franchises and gameplay, not the most weird controlling device.

#17 Edited by Chozofication (3243 posts) -

No, but hopefully it's their last gimmicky, half assed console. Now that they've seen gimmicks don't guarantee success, (and even with success, it's not the gimmick they care about *3DS*) they'll hopefully make a compelling console with great standard controllers and respectable power. By respectable power, I don't mean a 150 watt monster, but it should be at least much more powerful than the Ps4 in every possible area. Maybe shoot for 70 watts. By comparison, Wii U barely pulls half that much.

If they pulled out all the stops and brought back the gamecube controller (but modernized it) and overhauled Wii mote and nucnchuck controllers (which unlike the gamepad, did add something to gaming.), then that would be a peerless console as far as designed was concerned. And you know they'd have the games like they always do, plus they'd get multiplats again. Wow, Nintendo would be back.

I really think that with the internet and the times we live in, (unlike with gamecube) just from all the information out there and word of mouth if they just did all those things right it'd sell, and I think it's the safer bet for them money wise too than risking a new gimmick.

They probably won't do any of that though, not unless they scrap their current philosophy and *maybe* get some new management. I don't dislike Iwata but he makes a lot of stupid decisions. It's not just him though, Nintendo's teams have a hand in things.

#18 Posted by Chozofication (3243 posts) -

@b4il said:

if sales don't reach 10 million by the end of 2014, they should really ask themselves why. answer: bad marketing, bad hardware power, weird controller.

if that'll be the case, i hope they will either improve on their motion controls for their next console or go back to basic and great hardware, but please nintendo, please don't force yourself to be innovative... it's all about the great franchises and gameplay, not the most weird controlling device.

They're out of touch.

#19 Edited by Solaryellow (498 posts) -

@GSJones1994 said:

And if you all still need convincing on why Nintendo will be fine this gen, here's another fact that's overlooked by many:

No home console in history has ever been able to gain adequate market share post-launch while keeping a price point of over $300.

I wont quote your entire post since I concur with most of what you said.

In addition to price there are so many other factors which contribute to sales. Whether the Wii U was released at $349.99 or at its current price of $299.99 can you honestly tell me it wouldn't have put up big numbers if it had specs rivaling the new Sony and Microsoft product? What if it had a much better library at launch? Sure it is all hypothetical but we need to look at them as well. What if Nintendo pushed this system very hard rather than being coy? There are so many what if's extending beyond the price.

#20 Edited by KBFloYd (14377 posts) -

@b4il said:

microsoft and sony might be asking the same questions...but in their case its be no games and faulty hardware. high price..and weak power as well.

#21 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

A lot of Nintendo hate comes from people who just hate having to buy another console to play Zelda and Smash Bros. But I pose this question to all of you who think Nintendo would be so much better off making games as a third party.

Look at Sonic now. Look at how badly the series struggled as soon as Sega stopped making consoles. Even the best post Dreamcast games are lucky to get an 8. Is this what you want to see happen to Mario and friends, just for the convience of playing Smash on Xbox Live? Some will say "Nintendo's different than Sega" when Nintendo no longer has to worry about selling games to push hardware, the quality WILL decrease and if they're desperate for money, Mario will become even more exploited for cash than he is now. And post Dreamcast Sega isn't just Sonic. Look at their attempts of sequels for Goldenaxe (Beastrider), Samba D'Amigo, Nights: Journey of Dreams. These were all pretty bad. Hell another example. Look at what happened to Rare after leaving Nintendo. We dreamed of HD Banjo 3, Conker 2, etc. Instead we got a Perfect Dark with an online mode full of tumblers, Banjo copy pasted into a car building game and Rare reduced to making Wii Sports knockoffs while some other company makes a Free to play Killer Instinct.

Yet you want Nintendo to go third party just so you don't have to buy another console to play Mario and Zelda on? Everything that has happened to Sonic and the Sega characters is doomed to happen to Nintendo. When you can't make games especially tailored to your hardware, the quality suffers hence why most exclusive first party games are the best.

#22 Posted by willtsherman (667 posts) -

WiiU sales have gone up %200 since the price cut and 685% since windwaker came out (keep in mind its nothing new or unique at all) Just think what an all new Zelda title would bring. Plus add the future sales of the new super smash bros. If Nintendo focused more on the pro controller, I think it would appeal to more 3rd party developers. I think Nintendo needs a breakthrough with a really good original game.

#23 Posted by b4il (91 posts) -

i hope they won't become a third party developer. and moste certainly they won't, at least in the next 10 years. the handheld market and their franchises are printing money.

i just think it's kind of sad to see them desperately trying to create something "innovative" with every new console. i don't think the 3ds is selling because of the 3d feature, it's selling because of all the awesome games that keep coming out. i guess only few people are buying the wii u for the gamepad, they're gonna buy it when the great games are coming out because of the great games, not because of their mediocre gamepad features.

#24 Posted by gamenerd15 (4468 posts) -

It would not necessarily be a bad idea for Nintendo to go handheld only. Most of its titles are easy to pick up and play. Donkey Kong Returns was a console game that was made for the Wii and is easily playable on 3DS. The same can be said for Star Fox, Mario Bros, and Mario Kart. Ocarina of Time was a console game that was ported to 3DS. The Wii U is kind of like a console version of the DS brand. Why should Nintendo make two different pieces of hardware that focus on the same idea? Nintendo could always do a Super Gameboy type attachment to allow handheld games to be played on a big screen. The Wii U allows games on the big screen to move to the gamepad with a click of a button. Why couldn't Nintendo's next handheld let games move from the small screen to the big screen in the same fashion? It is not that I want Nintendo to get out of the console business, but why waste money on making console hardware that resembles handheld hardware?

#25 Posted by Megavideogamer (5480 posts) -

The Wii U is the 6th nintendo home console. If the Wii U ends up failing (less the 10 Million lifetime sales) Nintendo has enough cash to develop a 7th Home console. If that fails they have cash to develop a 8th home console. Then it will be Nintendo's last home console.

It took Sega the development costs of the Sega Normad, Sega CD, Sega CDX, Sega 32X, Sega Saturn, Sega Neptune, Sega Dreamcast to finally bow out of the Hardware dept. The master System did O.K in Brazil. Sega GearGear was defeated by the original Gameboy and until the Playstation portable was the best selling non Nintendo handheld game system. Even though it's battery life was dismal.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive was Sega greatest success. But with too many systems to support and the cost of creating those systems and getting crushed by the others

Nintendo has now just started down that path. The Wii U has sold just 3.61 million as of August 31st. Sales of Sept, Oct and November up to Nov 18th 2013 will bring those numbers up to 4 Million. To compare to Nintendo's only hardware failure to date the Virtual Boy that was only on the market for 10 months and sold just 700,000 units worldwide. The Wii U has done about that and 3 million more during the same 10 month period.

So eventually Nintendo may leave the home console market. But the Wii U story has yet to be completed. Plus the 2 systems that come after the Wii U. If they end up bombing badly. So the Wii U is not Nintendo's last home console.

#26 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

With the amount of savings Nintendo has, I reckon they'll have no issues staying in the home console industry for many years to come.

#27 Posted by kbaily (13042 posts) -

The common thing I hear is constant comparisons to Sega but far too many don't do the research as to why Sega truly fell out of the console business. The Dreamcast actually sold really well hence why used ones are so easy to come by but by the time of the Dreamcast Sega was bleeding money and deep in the red and unless the Dreamcast sold Wii numbers, nothing was going to save them.

Sega's problems started back on the Genesis. Despite the Genesis selling more than the SNES, Sega instead of just focusing on making good games, felt like they had to keep making all sorts of hardware. First was the Sega CD. Sega, seeing the lower production costs of discs for PC games, wanted to get in on disc based gaming. Sadly the Sega CD only had a few noteworthy games and most were just bad interactive movies with horrible full motion video (yet David Cage makes interactive movies and he's hailed as "brilliant"). Then came the 32x, a clunky add on to the Genesis they released within months of the Sega Saturn launch. The only worthwhile 32x title was Knuckles Chaotix and that has yet to see a rerelease on anything. That was dropped after only a couple months. There was also the CDX which was supposed to be a Sega CD and Genesis in one but in a stupid movie it cost MORE than a Genesis and Sega CD combined. And of course Sega's attempt to go up against Nintendo in the handheld market. In fairness the Game Gear held up longer than the Turbo Express or Atari Lynx but was pretty much the PSP of it's day. It sold but still got clobbered by Nintendo in terms of sales. Suffering from the same problems every non-Nintendo handheld does. Terrible battery life, overpriced, clunky design and most of the GG's games were either Master System ports or bite sized versions of Genesis games. I owned one. Yeah it was crap. The Nomad which played Genesis carts didn't fare much better being more expensive than a Genesis and still having horrid battery life. Oh I didn't mention the failed project the Sega channel. That brings us to the Saturn. I hear all sorts of tales of how the Saturn was going to be a supped up 2D machine but then when Sony showed off the Playstation, Sega rushed to retool the machine for 3D graphics making it very hard to develop. Then moved up the launch date without telling anyone and the fact it never got a true Sonic game to help push units. Sonic fans were stuck with an up res port of 3D Blast, Sonic R and the Sonic Jam compilation. Then when the Saturn wasn't selling well, Sega stopped all support for it after a couple years and put all their remaining funding into the Dreamcast.

So as you can see, Sega's leaving the console market wasn't simply because "the Dreamcast didn't sell well" it was years and years of bad business decisions, one piece of failed hardware after another and overall poor money management. By the time the Dreamcast came out it probably was too little too late.

Now look at Nintendo, despite all the internet hate, they've made money on every console they made except the Virtual Boy. They've always dominated the handheld market even now with the rise of tablets and smartphones for on the go gaming. Even the Gamecube they made a profit on. Microsoft was losing money every quarter for years on the Xbox and 360. They kept going because Bill Gates had money to throw at it. Sony had a hard time this past gen. Remember how badly it was selling at the start. Even at $600 the PS3 supposedly cost $800 to make meaning they were losing $200 per system. Then they had their fair share of failed hardware. The Sixaxis not having rumble and having to rectify that. All the money put into Home that nobody cares about now. The Move. Their attempt to make 3D games than realizing no one wanted to go buy a new TV and wear glasses while playing and while the PSP sold well enough and wasn't totally clobbered by Nintendo, the Vita still seems to just limp along. Now Sony seems to have learned from last gen and given Microsoft pissed everyone off with the Xbone, they hopefully will have it easier with the PS4.

So yeah it seems like Nintendo is doomed but anyone intelligent enough to do research instead of just listen to internet drones, knows unless people completely stop buying 3DSs suddenly, they're not going anywhere. The things hardcore gamers get pissed about are things they're doing so they're not losing money. They're using current gen graphics because new engines are expensive for what? Arm hair? AI fish? They don't have tons of voice work meaning they don't have to pay actors and put money into perfecting gameplay and then don't have do crap like DRM and DLC just to turn a profit. Did we learn nothing from the recent Tomb Raider reboot? Flashy visuals and voice acting are great but they cost money.

At times I think we need to take a break from gaming and take a business course once in a while.

#28 Edited by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -
@willtsherman said:

WiiU sales have gone up %200 since the price cut and 685% since windwaker came out (keep in mind its nothing new or unique at all) Just think what an all new Zelda title would bring. Plus add the future sales of the new super smash bros. If Nintendo focused more on the pro controller, I think it would appeal to more 3rd party developers. I think Nintendo needs a breakthrough with a really good original game.

I am curious to see how much sales will increase once Super Mario 3D World is out.

Not to mention Mario Kart 8.

#29 Edited by Jaysonguy (37819 posts) -

@kbaily said:

At times I think we need to take a break from gaming and take a business course once in a while.

Yeah, you probably want to do that since you're way off.

Sega was getting money from the Master System well into the Dreamcast's lifespan, that's what allowed them to spend so much money in other areas.

As far as the Gamecube it almost killed Nintendo, the DS was the thing that saved Nintendo to the point where the Nintendo's president said there would be no Nintendo if not for the DS. That's how bad the Gamecube damaged the company.

When Nintendo stopped supporting the Wii in 2008 they had some pretty ambitious plans for growth and by 2010 all of those plans were gone. They were doing so poorly that not only was all growth stopped but things like employee benefits also had to be scaled back.

It gets worse.

Nintendo is trying to recover from the mistakes they've made but they're still bleeding money, even when they plan on bleeding money they don't plan well enough. They planned on losing about 200 million dollars and they lost 370 million so far this year. That money has to come from somewhere.

The idea that "well Nintendo is worth so much money and they have so much liquid so they'll be fine" is insane.

The reason they have the deals they have (especially in property) is because of how much they're worth. If the company's value goes down they don't have the same pull.

Another thing is this, a company that doesn't grow dies.

While Nintendo weathers this storm they're unable to do anything. They're treading water.

When Nintendo faced hard times before in the early 90's and then with the Gamecube they still had money left to grow. They were still able to take in new talent and build new studios for R&D and establish a gameplan going forward.

Nintendo today doesn't have the resources to make that happen.

The 3DS plays a part in this too. Adding 3D to the handheld was supposed to make the DS sales look small in comparison but that never happened. A slow start with a dramatic reduction in price helped spark it to life but it's not the evolution they hoped it would become. There's not enough incentive for people to buy a 3DS, the 2DS is proof enough.

Nintendo is in bad shape, to say otherwise is foolish.

#30 Edited by Gloryfinder (410 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: To note Nintendo lost 370 million during the last fiscal year, not this year. So far this fiscal year, which we only know the results of Q1 for (Q2 will come in a few weeks), they have netted around 88 million in profit which is a complete turn-around from last year's mess, but still not a major gain either. We already know that Wii U sales are greatly increased courtesy to the Wind Waker bundle and the price drop on the Wii U, but they're I think they're still taking a loss per Wii U sale meaning people will need to be buying more games before it becomes more profitable. We also know the 3DS has been selling like hotcakes even before the release of the 2DS. The last report we have on total system sales is from that Q1 report, which revealed 32.48 million 3DS systems have been sold in total worldwide since release. That's nothing to snuff at. And yes the 3DS did get off to a slower start than expected, but it's clearly doing fine now. I would almost say the 3DS game line-up now is nearly as strong as the DS's game line-up during its *entire* lifespan. Not quite, but it's pretty darn impressive and the releases are both bigger, better quality, and more frequent than the DS. This is why the 3DS is successful and will probably be a bigger success than the original DS by the time its on the way out their door for whatever Nintendo handheld comes next.

As far as research and development goes, they actually do have a ton of fallback money courtesy to the duo blazing sales success of the Wii and DS last generation.The topic was brought up briefly during an interview earlier this year I think it was, maybe it was last year, where they discussed why they had no pressure to go 3rd party like SEGA did. Basically they said their "war chest" of sorts will keep them fine for the next 5-10 years even if everything half flops. That isn't speculation or assumption, but based on what they've said. There was another interview a while back where they discussed their R&D methods (I think it happened sometime after the 3DS release but before the Wii U to help build awareness for both systems as examples). Like Sony and Microsoft, they're constantly having a devoted set of people looking at new hardware concepts. They were experimenting with no-glasses 3D as far back as the gamecube for example. Wish I had some article links for you (I'll see if I can dig any up later), I rarely post in any forums these days so information is generally off the top of my head, so all of that is a bit more vague than I prefer. Either way Nintendo isn't sitting on their hands, they have both the funding and the process for experimenting with new concepts for their hardware. That's probably why it's all been so gimmicky at times (still not a fan of motion controls or the Wii myself). I do however love the DS/3DS touch screen. I avoided the DS the first year+ of its release because I thought the touchscreen was silly, but I find it's really enhanced the handheld experience with two screens.

I would actually counter your rather bold claim at the end of your post and say anyone saying Nintendo is in bad shape as of this year is foolish. The 3DS is amazingly profitable right now, the 2DS is not a last-ditch effort for sales, but actually an extra layer to enhance total sales by targeting a slightly different market with the even more attractive price point. The 3DS has had some really strong game releases on top of the 2DS concept itself, so they've essentially secured their stability as of Q2 this year (which is wrapping up soon) and leading into the Q3 holiday quarter where the sales should be rather insane. Their handheld system is quite simply what's keeping them afloat financially right now and should safely keep them in the green for this year. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm entirely off the ball, but I"m fairly confident in saying the 3DS should keep Nintendo secured as profitable or at worst break-even for the next 2-3 years. I highly doubt they'll take any more losses until they transition into a new system cycle again.

As many supportive words as I have for the 3DS, the Wii U is still up in the air. Even though the Wii did well financially I still don't really like the system; the motion controls never clicked with me mainly because gaming is down-time from a full day of work and/or other activities. It felt almost too involving to relax while playing? Back on topic though. At worse I can see the Wii U being a "cut their losses" sort of situation, making the best of it and trying to squeeze maybe 3 1/2-4 years total lifespan out of it (until all first-party games are released and shipped basically), then transitioning straight into a new system that's hopefully safer and more reliable in sales. The smart move might actually to be release a super-power system that's a notch up from the Xbox One and Ps4, released soon enough that both Sony and Microsoft are unable to counter that move meaning Nintendo will temporarily have the most powerful console for potentially a few years. And if it has a gimmick, make it one that's functional and fun (like the touchscreen is to the DS/3DS, I have not tried the Wii U yet), rather than one that feels rather forced (motion controls and 3D). Having not played the Wii U, I can't really comment how gimmicky or natural the experience is compared to the Wii, but sales-wise it's clearly not a profitable console yet. This holiday season will probably make or break it overall. Either a ton of people will buy it (which is questionable due to the Ps4 and Xbox One) or it'll probably sustain mediocre sales throughout its lifespan.

(Partial) TLDR; The 3DS is doing amazingly well with sales and is super profitable for Nintendo. Not sure why you're thinking otherwise right now, unless you haven't seen the sales numbers of both high profile 3DS games and how many systems have been selling through. 3DS games are also much cheaper to produce than console games, making pretty much any first-party game release guaranteed pure profit especially if it's a known franchise. The development team for Pokemon at GameFreak is surprisingly small to use a recent example, even though the games are very large in scope, have tons of play value and are popular. Heck even the super niche Rune Factory series is somehow fairly profitable on handhelds, even in the NA region. And on the other end the Wii U is still a rather big mess, but it's picked up enough momentum to not put them in the red as of Q1 of this year (April to July). That doesn't mean it's doing any good either however. Nintendo is definitely not in trouble courtesy of the 3DS or the Q1 quarter wouldn't have been a moderate profit already this year, but the Wii U could keep them from being in a much better place as they're making up lost ground from last year. A strong positive doesn't remove the fact a negative still exists though. Q2 and Q3 (the holiday quarter) of this year will be big eye openers on the future of the Wii U especially.

#31 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1382 posts) -

No. Nintendo could never make another penny again and lose $257 million every single year. They would last till 2052, then selling stocks, technology, and buildings they would last till 2075. Nintendo will outlast Sony, Microsoft and everybody in the gaming industry. They have seen them come and go, Atari, Sega (No more hardware for Sega I mean) The 3DS gives Nintendo all the money they need right now. The Wii U will be more or like the Gamecube. It will make a profit for Nintendo in the end but it wont be a Wii. But The Xbox One will fail. And PS4 and Wii U will be the only ones competeing. However Sony or Microsoft well...this will be one of them's last console.

#32 Posted by superbuuman (3054 posts) -

@Pierst179 said:
@willtsherman said:

I am curious to see how much sales will increase once Super Mario 3D World is out.

Not to mention Mario Kart 8.

Just think about this way..if a remake of an old Zelda game can boost sales..just imagine when a new Zelda game is release for Wii U. :P

#33 Edited by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

LOL Your posts are always good for a laugh Mr. Troll. You do release that Nintendo has mountains of money in the bank, of course.

#34 Edited by Jaysonguy (37819 posts) -

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

LOL Your posts are always good for a laugh Mr. Troll. You do release that Nintendo has mountains of money in the bank, of course.

The fact that you think that one factor means anything shows you have no business in this discussion

#35 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7755 posts) -

Even if the Wii U doesn't do well, I can't see this being Nintendo's last console. Sega blew it with the GameGear, Nomad, SegaCD, 32X, AND Saturn, then Dreamcast stuck Sega with a loss right out of the gate in Japan and they continued to bleed money for a couple years even after the Dreamcast's discontinuation. Sega was a sinking ship with an incompetent crew incapable of saving it. Nintendo isn't in the same shape, at least not yet.

#36 Edited by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

Not really

They are too prideful of a company to quit, they are in it for the gaming business and frankly if its not for them the industry wont move forward or explore any new reaches.

Second, Software sells and we still got a bunch coming up, Wind Waker HD bundle alone boosted sales and that was just a remake

#37 Posted by sonic_spark (4714 posts) -

@victojua: As long as they remain profitable, they will always develop a console.

#38 Posted by hotdiddykong (2048 posts) -

@victojua: @KBFloYd:

The label of "Casual" in general isnt really anything other than what people use for name calling.

Otherwise its all in taste, there's nothing wrong with liking those games and frankly a lot of people are gonna like that the Mario and Sonic game on Wii U is getting online.

Also, victoua, how would you say casual? Nintendo saved Bayonetta only to be called Casual? Far from it

#39 Posted by CommandoAgent (795 posts) -

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Agreed Nintendo isn't doomed and should Nintendo be doomed it would be bad for all of the gaming industry period. I remember these similar posts on how some were claiming that Sony was nearly doomed to.

The problem with the Ipads, tablets they are expensive, if you break them you have to pay another $800 if you want to rebuy it.

#40 Posted by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

I hope not, even though the wii u is not a good console yet. if sega survived the saturn fail, I'm sure nintendo with all their billions will get its act together next gen.

#41 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4714 posts) -

You clearly know very little about the entire situation. Even with poor Wii U sales they're on the track to making profits again with the 3DS taking off. So right there you make an elementary error because you disregard their piles of cash as "they can't like losing money" but they AREN'T losing moeny

#42 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

The fact that you think that one factor means anything shows you have no business in this discussion

Even more hilarious. You don't think their massive amounts of savings count for anything? Honestly what are you smoking?

#43 Edited by bonesawisready5 (4714 posts) -

@b4il: What?

August: Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell

September: Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Rayman, Scribblenauts Unmasked

October: Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World, Assassin's Creed IV, Batman Arkham Origins

November: Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Super Mario 3D World, Call of Duty Ghosts, Mario & Sonic

How is that not a lot of good games? 2014 has: DKC: TF (feb), Super Smash Bros, X, SMT x FE, Yarn Yoshi, Mario Kart 8, Watch Dogs and more plus a bunch of indie games. Surely they'll be spread out within the year in good increments. I can't imagine we'll see another December 2012 thru June 2013 first party drought again until the Wii U's successor hits

#44 Posted by Jaysonguy (37819 posts) -

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Even more hilarious. You don't think their massive amounts of savings count for anything? Honestly what are you smoking?

I have no words for how simpleminded you are.

What you have in the bank doesn't mean much if it's constantly going down.

What don't you understand about Nintendo stopping growth in R&D and reducing people's benefits?

Let's pretend you're right. If that's the case then Nintendo is doing those things just because!

#45 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

What don't you understand about Nintendo stopping growth in R&D and reducing people's benefits?

Let's pretend you're right. If that's the case then Nintendo is doing those things just because!

What their money means is they can do tons more R&D, game developing, studio acquiring. Their last console made sales records for years. Just because Wii U is having a poor start doesn't mean Nintendo is doomed or whatever nonsense you're implying.

#46 Posted by Jaysonguy (37819 posts) -

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

What their money means is they can do tons more R&D, game developing, studio acquiring. Their last console made sales records for years. Just because Wii U is having a poor start doesn't mean Nintendo is doomed or whatever nonsense you're implying.

So then you say that Nintendo has been cutting benefits and R&D since 2009 just because they can, interesting.

Also Nintendo saw their money spike with the Wii between 2008-2009, then they started losing money, a lot of it.

The Wii itself was a sieve at the end of it's life and the Wii U was supposed to stop the bleeding. It did exactly the opposite.

#47 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7755 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

So then you say that Nintendo has been cutting benefits and R&D since 2009 just because they can, interesting.

Also Nintendo saw their money spike with the Wii between 2008-2009, then they started losing money, a lot of it.

The Wii itself was a sieve at the end of it's life and the Wii U was supposed to stop the bleeding. It did exactly the opposite.

Ladies, ladies, you're both pretty. Now, on to other things...

#48 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@Avatar_Taxidous said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Where did you read that Nintendo has cut back its R&D?

If they have cut back in that department, perhaps it is because they are finding more valuable ways to spend their money, or they just don't need as much research done at the moment.

And Iwata and some of the execs giving up some of thier bonuses could be just because they have tons of money already

and they want to keep their stockholders pleased,