I think I overcharged my battery on my DS Lite.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Alaru (5 posts) -

I've had my normal DS for about 2 years and if I charge it fully it only lasts 30 minutes maybe 45 minutes max before it turns red. My DS Lite lasts a very long time (I don't know how long but I know it was a VERY long time.) I've always kept my normal DS on the charger constantly only taking it off when I wanted to play in my room. Anyway I've been careful with my DS Lite I only charge it when it needs to be charged and as soon as it's fully charged I unplug it. However, today I accidently overcharged it by about 3 hours do you think I caused any damage to my DS Lite? Also, if my battery does mess up is their any way I can get it repaired? Thank you. Also, if possible can you give me tips on how to keep my DS Lite in perfect condition for atleast 2 more years

#2 Posted by WushuFighter (1837 posts) -
DS lites have a component(maybe several) that disallow any more power to be charged into the battery. It can still be powered by the charger, but it won't overcharge.
#3 Posted by meimnobody (5565 posts) -

Dude the reason your normal ds only gets 45 minute charge is because Lithium Ion batteries only last 1 to 2 years of usebefore they expire.

Read the manual and you would have seen that. You can buy replacement batteries for 12 bucks from several stores.

#4 Posted by launcherstrike (482 posts) -
I charge my Lite before I go to bed. I sleep for around 8 - 9 hours and nothing is wrong with the battery :O
#5 Posted by Weirdly-Dead (188 posts) -
I say sell the DS and keep the Light it will save you money in repair's,
#6 Posted by aerisol (466 posts) -
I charge my Lite before I go to bed. I sleep for around 8 - 9 hours and nothing is wrong with the battery :Olauncherstrike
yea me too, it just stops charging when its full
#7 Posted by inzaneetie013 (1385 posts) -

[QUOTE="launcherstrike"]I charge my Lite before I go to bed. I sleep for around 8 - 9 hours and nothing is wrong with the battery :Oaerisol
yea me too, it just stops charging when its full

yea me too

#8 Posted by L8erSquare (2599 posts) -
No you can not overcharge it, once its done charging its stops. I always leave my DS charging over night and nothing bad ever happens to it.
#9 Posted by luke141eels (10143 posts) -
i never knew that
#10 Posted by draftrough (502 posts) -
No, Thats rediculous you cant "overcharge" the Ds or DS Lite.
#11 Posted by VRN-KingS- (163 posts) -

Dude the reason your normal ds only gets 45 minute charge is because Lithium Ion batteries only last 1 to 2 years of usebefore they expire.

meimnobody

Right .....

1. The Lithium Ion batteries that only last a year or two, to which you are referring are more commonly known as
"watch batteries".

2. The DS Lithium battery is of a more significant size, quality and capacity.

3. I bought my DS (Original Blue) when I was 19. Im now nearly 22. Well according to you my DS should have died by now???

No.

Its fine.

It always will be.

You cannot overcharge DS's.

#12 Posted by meimnobody (5565 posts) -
What matters is 500 recharges that cuts down the battery charge. 500 charges one charge a day is one to two years. Most ds batteries will last a year or two depending upon use.
#13 Posted by DSPlayerx01 (29 posts) -
Either your over reacting, or youve played it way too much, yo.
#14 Posted by KazOblivion (120 posts) -
According to the DS's instruction booklet, the rechargeable lithium battery functionsat 100% efficiency for the first 500 charges. After 500 charges the booklet says that the battery will continue functioning at 70% efficiency. Since I've had my original DS since launch week, it is now nearly 3 years oldand still lasts at least 6 hours a charge with the backlight on.