Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

I just un-boxed my Wii U and set everything up and the first thing that struck me is how awkward to hold the gamepad is. It's light, sure, but it just isn't comfortable in my hands. I don't like the ungenerous clearance of the L & R triggers. It feels as though you're not pressing anything. Then there's the other triggers, the Z ones or whatever they're called, which are placed far too low. They should have gone with a DS4 set-up for the triggers, in my opinion. Much better. Also, the controller is actually much smaller than I expected it to be so I don't really see the point of the screen. I would have sacrificed it for a touch-pad. I can live with menus if that means a much better designed controller. I really don't understand why they went with this bulky, unergonomic thing.

Anyway, I was wondering since I don't like the charging cradle whether or not there is some kind of 3rd party one that can be attached to a wall so you simply 'hang' the game-pad. Is there anything like that available? I'm running out of room LOL.

Also, this thing takes AGES to charge first time. My God. ;_; Does the charge time decrease after the initial charge?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The Gamepad seems to be a love it or hate it kind of thing. I always found it surprisingly comfortable. To each his own, I suppose. Fortunately, you can use the Pro for many games out there. I use the Pro regularly for Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, since the Gamepad doesn't add anything meaningful to either game.

I can't find a Gamepad charging dock that attaches to the wall. Maybe you'll come across it eventually. Or, you can get crafty and make one yourself.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Star0

@YearoftheSnake5: Yeah, I hope I'll get used it after a little while. It's just a bit different to what I'm used to as a controller. I have to say I prefer regular controllers than this tablet style, but it is what it is. Conversely, the actual Wii U system is a baby compared to the PS4. That thing is a behemoth!

I was thinking to print one off at a 3D modelling place. I'll just whip up a design on Sketch Up when I'm free :) I just need to squash it together a bit so it can rest against a wall. That back piece is superfluous if I'm to use the cradle in this way. Nothing too hard. There are some quite cool services online that do that sort of thing too. Besides, I've been meaning to begin learning how to use more modelling tools.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I think the gamepad is pretty comfortable. You may just need time to adjust to the size. I thought it was awkward at first holding something bigger than a standard controller. I do think it's ergonomic, though. Your thumbs rest naturally on the analog sticks and the groove on the back rests on your middle fingers, giving your index fingers freedom to use the L and R buttons.

I guess it can be uncomfortable if you're the type to hold a PS/Xbox controller with both your index and middle fingers hovering over the L1/2 and R1/2 buttons. Give it a chance, though. I don't mind it at all, and although I still want a Pro controller, I haven't felt the need to get one yet (and I picked up my Wii U at launch).

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Star0

@Grieverr: Yes, there is the adjusting phase. I won't be playing my PS4 for a while because I have 8 Wii U games to beat. I'll definitely give it a chance! Also, I need to cut back on spending hehe. Yeah, your thumbs do rest naturally on the analogue sticks, but you're kind of still stretching to use them. Maybe I just have short thumbs. Don't judge me =P

I would get a Wii U Pro controller, but I think you lose some functionality so I'm hesitant.

*grrr how long is this update?!*

If it was up to me, I'd remove the ABXY buttons/analogue/d-pad controls and then create a mini Wiimote with those features built in. This could slide into the game-pad or just be separate. I think that would work better personally. The gamepad would then be more of a second screen with capacitive touch functionality.

Alternatively, they could create a stripped down game-pad and bundle it with a traditional controller.

Maybe they'll do something like that for the Wii U's successor.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@Star0 said:

If it was up to me, I'd remove the ABXY buttons/analogue/d-pad controls and then create a mini Wiimote with those features built in. This could slide into the game-pad or just be separate. I think that would work better personally. The gamepad would then be more of a second screen with capacitive touch functionality.

I'm not sure I understand. So you want to be able to slide a controller in and out of the gamepad? Wouldn't you then have to juggle the controller and the gamepad at the same time?

The initial update took me about an hour, if I remember correctly. Just walk away, man! :)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Star0

@Grieverr:

Scratch the sliding in idea. That wouldn't work.

What I'm proposing:

1] Enhanced Wiimote (I'm calling it a Wiimore for the lack of a better term) with analogue sticks/triggers and a more traditional layout overall...essentially a motion-controlled, wireless SNES controller if you think about it. Perhaps the front of the controller would have some sort of haptic feedback trackpad too. That would be pretty cool.

2] A different take on the gamepad with a much bigger capacitive touchscreen and no physical controls other than the usual buttons you'd expect (volume, start, select etc). The gamepad would be used purely for interfacing using touch and motion.

I'd buy that no matter how expensive.

It really sucks that you can't transfer over games you've bought on the 3DS already. Oh well. Can't have everything. I'm not going to buy any eShop games until they sort the account system out because as of now unifying network IDs is pointless.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

The gamepad is very comfortable give it some time. I do agree the the top bumper buttons are far away, wish they where slightly moved down around the back like on the curve.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Star0

Also, that disc drive is ridiculously loud on start up. I actually thought my Wii U was faulty LOL. (it's not, it's just the disk reading noise...and some robots doing a dance inside)

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

@Star0: the motors that take the disc in/push it out? aye they can be a bit loud. i have found the disc drive itself to be very quiet though. i can still hear it when the read head moved but the wii was louder than the wiiu imho.

personally i find the gamepad to be fine. i would like the L and R buttons to be a little bit closer perhaps but nothing major. i just treat it as a chunky traditional controller most of the time. i certainly wouldnt be going out to get a pro controller to play games on....the gamepad provides the same functionality.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Star0

@osan0: No, the system always does a preliminary check to see whether or not there's a disk inserted at start up. That's what I meant. It's an odd sound, but not bothersome. The system is near silent otherwise. I haven't played any game yet though.

Yeah, the Wii U Pro is a bit pointless...although the Nyko Pro Commander looks sweet. The ZL and ZR triggers seem more 'springy' too. It would be a luxury purchase anyhow.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

for action games or anything requiring timing and skill the gamepad is worthless, it's awkward, gonky and clumsily pathetic. If it's a turn based RPG or some old school platform game etc, it's fine although still a big pizza in your hands. I bought the Pro controller almost immediately after hating the gamepad and even the Pro is inferior to the PS4 controller. In fact this entire generation of controllers are worse. The DS4 analog sticks are stiff and clumsy compared to the DS3 etc, while I like the feel of the Nintendo Pro I don't like the way the sticks are above the action buttons, the opposite of the Sony dual shock layout so I always wind up hitting the action buttons unintentionally. Both the Nintendo Pro and Sony DS4 have really stiff gummed up feeling analog sticks with noticeable dead spots, so you're either standing still or running, it's hard to make your character walk slowly.

Aside from playing games via the gamepad and using it just for the screen, it's kind of worthless so far... I've not really needed to use the second screen aspect once since I've had my Wii U.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I enjoy the Gamepad for off-screen play. It's actually kinda cool to play a full game on the pad. Sometimes I just don't want to play on the TV or I want to lie down in bed. But If I play on the TV I'll use the Pro Controller. It's not a great controller, but rather a neat extension or "handheld."

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

I really like the Gamepad. Takes time getting used to the button placements if you're used to an Xbox/Dualshock controller, but it's comfortable nonetheless. Took me about a week to actually get used to it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Yeah, it's not a very good controller. After a while of gaming, my hands start to hurt a little. Having some menus on the gamepad instead of on the TV is not worth having a huge, pretty uncomfortable controller for (which battery very often needs to be charged while you're in a gaming session). I've yet to play a game that uses the controller in an especially good way. The best I've seen so far is probably Zombi-U, and I doubt that it will be used for something better. Other than that, being able to play a game without the TV could be useful in some cases, but not in my case as my TV isn't being hogged often.

Therefor I tend to use the pro controller more than the gamepad, which is an awesome controller.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Well your 1 in a million. It's comfy for like everyone else on the planet. You don't like it oh well, Wii U isn't for you. You could use a Pro Controller or Wii Mote or such but you'll be missing out on 99% of the fun. Takes a few weeks to get used to the Gamepad. I find that the gamepad seems to have shrunk now when I hold it. I'm like wtf? did this get smaller?

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts

it takes some time to adjust to, but I prefer it over my 360 controller.

as for if it'd work best in some genres in comparison (fps), I don't know...

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@Litchie said:

Yeah, it's not a very good controller. After a while of gaming, my hands start to hurt a little. Having some menus on the gamepad instead of on the TV is not worth having a huge, pretty uncomfortable controller for (which battery very often needs to be charged while you're in a gaming session). I've yet to play a game that uses the controller in an especially good way. The best I've seen so far is probably Zombi-U, and I doubt that it will be used for something better. Other than that, being able to play a game without the TV could be useful in some cases, but not in my case as my TV isn't being hogged often.

Therefor I tend to use the pro controller more than the gamepad, which is an awesome controller.

You doubt it will be used for something better...? Are you new to Nintendo gaming?
Just wait and see the crazy shit Nintendo's first party games will have to make the tablet 200% worth it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@Sgt_Crow said:

@Litchie said:

You doubt it will be used for something better...? Are you new to Nintendo gaming?

Just wait and see the crazy shit Nintendo's first party games will have to make the tablet 200% worth it.

Yeah, doubt it. Like what, exactly? It's just a screen on the controller. Not some major revolutionary must-have asset for gaming. There will be a few fun things you can do with it, like scanning, using it as a camera and stuff, but you sound like you expect magic. I think they will come up with some intereting things, sure, but nothing that will significantly enhance a game.

smitherton4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 smitherton4
Member since 2014 • 67 Posts

It's frankly too big, and not enough games use the touch pad well to give the screen a point. Despite what Nintendo for some reason thinks having two TV's isn't that difficult.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

For as large as the game pad is, it's damn comfortable. Very light and ergonomic. It looks uncomfortable, but it isn't.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I would also like to point out how much more refined the analog sticks feel compared to the 360's.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Litchie said:

@Sgt_Crow said:

@Litchie said:

Yeah, doubt it. Like what, exactly? It's just a screen on the controller. Not some major revolutionary must-have asset for gaming. There will be a few fun things you can do with it, like scanning, using it as a camera and stuff, but you sound like you expect magic. I think they will come up with some intereting things, sure, but nothing that will significantly enhance a game.

What?..that camera robot game from Miyamoto didn't impress you?..hehehe.. :P

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

The Vita is better for doing the same streaming of games, the Vita has better feeling controls overall... but I don't know if the Vita will ever be recognized as the superior streaming interface for console games etc. I only use the gamepad as a glorified HDTV remote and occasional web browsing, plus the obligatory Mii account management.