I have an American DS, can I use a European charger?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by scriptwrite (374 posts) -

I bought an American DS Lite and returned to Europe. Right now, I'm charging my DS using a power converter and the original US chargers. Is it possible for me to buy a European DS Lite Charger and charge the DS with no damage to the handheld whatsoever?

Thanks 

#2 Posted by Keibo (1488 posts) -
As far as I can tell there shouldn't really be any problem with that. my first DS was an american one and I used my European GBA charger for it instead of the US one. I know that the DS lite's charger socket is different but I'm assuming that it shouldn't really make a difference as the batteries and stuff are most likely the same
#3 Posted by Superlegtesta (389 posts) -

I had the same problem. I'm still using the power converter though since no one was able to give me a clear answer. However, I think it would work with the European charger. You just have to check what is the output on the charger itself. If the electric output is the same (that is if the power that your European charger sends to your DS) is the same than your American charger, then it shoul be safe.

But just out of curiosity, why do you want to change? You had some problems with the adapter?

#4 Posted by technofranki (1333 posts) -

I have a (phat) DS from US and using a European charger, have worked fine since the DS launch. I also use a USB charger with either my PC or Wii, that works well too.

I looked at the original US charger and it output the same voltage as the European one, so there is no problems. And I haven't had any problems since the US launch (I imported my DS back in 2004), so I don't think you will.

So, happy gaming!

#5 Posted by ZebethOrZebes (5997 posts) -
My ex-girlfriend tried to charge her North American DS using an Asian charger, and her DS stopped working after that.
#6 Posted by Zero254 (3531 posts) -

Check it to see if it has a transformer.

It should support both 50hz and 60hz alternating current 

#7 Posted by meowww (453 posts) -
U should buy a secoundry Charger to make it from 110v to 220v or if u put it without it u will lost ur DS by making a boom to the IC
#8 Posted by Meptron (301 posts) -

Like others have already said, it will work as long as your AC Adaptor (Charger) works with the voltage in Europe. It will say on the back of the adaptor what range of voltages are supported. In the US and Canada it's 110V (I Think) and in Europe I believe it's 220V. I bought an charger in China (which is also 220V) that works from AC100-240V, 50/60Hz. It's called Dragon SP Advance Boy Electronic Adaptor. Note that an SP charger will work with the DS since they are identical.

*Edit* By the way, I used this charger with my Canadian DS for almost two years in China (220V) with no problems whatsoever. 

#9 Posted by dem0truk (243 posts) -

Aren't all DS's apart from the Chinese version the exact same hardware?

(not including the differences between phat and lite).

#10 Posted by jorgeluisbl (1479 posts) -
It shouldn't be a problem, but you should stick to the adapter just in case...
#11 Posted by DarkRider23 (1753 posts) -

dem0truk

The DS's are the same. The chargers aren't. 

#12 Posted by dem0truk (243 posts) -
[QUOTE="dem0truk"]

DarkRider23

But that implies that any charger will work with any DS, if those DS's are the same...
#13 Posted by scriptwrite (374 posts) -

I had the same problem. I'm still using the power converter though since no one was able to give me a clear answer. However, I think it would work with the European charger. You just have to check what is the output on the charger itself. If the electric output is the same (that is if the power that your European charger sends to your DS) is the same than your American charger, then it shoul be safe. 

But just out of curiosity, why do you want to change? You had some problems with the adapter?

Superlegtesta

No, I haven't had any problems, it's just a mild curiosity really and if my adapter should break (I heard they burn out after a certain amount of time) I would like to have options that wouldn't require me to through adapter after adapter.

#14 Posted by scriptwrite (374 posts) -

By the way, thanks for all the answers guys. It's just a niggling question really. I bought my laptop in the US as well and that works here in the UK with no problems whatsoever, I even use the original charger, just changed the lead from a two pin to a three pin.

The difference is though, on my laptop charger it says 110/240, where as it doesn't say that for the DS, so I'm just wondering if I got a European charger, would it charge my DS normally as my US one would.

#15 Posted by technofranki (1333 posts) -

If you are in Europe, your charger must do 220/240V. In US that's 110/120V. If your charger is marked 110-240V 50/60Hz, it will work in both Europe and US. The only thing you need is and socket adapter since US have to flat pins, UK have three pins and most of Europe have round two pins.

I have both a US PSP charger and a Japanese Xbox 360 HD DVD player poweradapter. They work both fine. I only hade to use a socket adapter/two pin cord. They are both marked 110-240V 50/60Hz.

#16 Posted by Zero254 (3531 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkRider23"][QUOTE="dem0truk"]

dem0truk

But that implies that any charger will work with any DS, if those DS's are the same...

No it does not.

Remember, the DS takes in a certain rating and if its not right then it could mess up.

What you just said is true, but not in all cases.

You see, there are countries that use different eletric hz cycles than us ones.

Go ahead and try to plug in an american lamp into a 50 hz socket without an adapter.