How much memory would you recommend for an external hard drive for the Wii U?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By ad1x2

Poll How much memory would you recommend for an external hard drive for the Wii U? (8 votes)

Less than 250GB 38%
More than 250GB 75%

On Friday I picked up a 2TB external hard drive for about $80 in Best Buy. After I got home I pulled it out of the case and put it inside of my PS4 (it was actually cheaper than buying a standalone laptop drive of the same size).

Now I'm left with an unused 500GB hard drive. I considered putting it inside of my 80GB PS3 but I was also thinking about putting it in the case for the drive I just bought and using it with a Y cable for the Wii U.

The thing is almost all of my Wii U games are on disc and despite having 32GB of memory I haven't filled it all the way up. If I start downloading full games I know they aren't usually as big as X1 and PS4 games.

What would you recommend as a good size for a Wii U external? I don't see myself needing 500GB at the size Wii U games usually come in but it seems to be like a waste to pull my PS3 hard drive when it's near the end of it's cycle.

• 
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Im using a spare 500Gb that I have, with only 1 digital download game W101...the rest being just saves :p

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I tried using an external HDD for my Wii U with a Y cable, but it didn't work. Maybe you will have better luck, but that's my experience. Unless you're planning on downloading a fairly large number of games, 500GB isn't necessary for Wii U. If you don't have anything better to use the drive in, you might as well have it hooked to your system.

I'm using a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit on the back of my Wii U. Between that and the system memory, I haven't run out of space yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

32 gb.

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I tried using an external HDD for my Wii U with a Y cable, but it didn't work. Maybe you will have better luck, but that's my experience. Unless you're planning on downloading a fairly large number of games, 500GB isn't necessary for Wii U. If you don't have anything better to use the drive in, you might as well have it hooked to your system.

I'm using a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit on the back of my Wii U. Between that and the system memory, I haven't run out of space yet.

What happened with the hdd? I thought the y cable thing worked flawlessly.

Also I tried 2 different kind of stealth drives (including sandisk) and had loading stutter..

Ninty really messed up on storage with Wii U. Feels like i'm beating a dead horse but they really did :/

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@Chozofication said:

32 gb.

What happened with the hdd? I thought the y cable thing worked flawlessly.

Also I tried 2 different kind of stealth drives (including sandisk) and had loading stutter..

Ninty really messed up on storage with Wii U. Feels like i'm beating a dead horse but they really did :/

It formatted fine, but wouldn't respond when trying to write or read anything from it. When I bought Injustice on the eShop, my Wii U got stuck on the "Please wait" screen for a few minutes before telling me that it couldn't write to my storage device. The drive itself works fine. I use it for backing up my Steam games now. No idea why it wouldn't work for the Wii U.

Yeah, Nintendo messed up with storage. I wish the system had a 2.5in drive bay. It would have made everything so much easier.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I'd definitely get a larger size, but also never skimp on quality.

This thread reminded me to check Amazon for such. Good solid state drive, I'd say.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I think you should use 300.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

You might as well get the largest external HDD the Wii U allows the 2TB is the way to go. If possible find one that works with 2.0 USB. since Nintendo used 2.0 USB for the Wii U. Even though most things use 3.0 USB. You will save a USB port by using an old 2.0 enabled 2TB HDD. A modern 3.0 USB 2TB drive will work but it will be hobbled since the 2.0 USB port on the Wii U will hinder download and upload speeds.

So if you really want to save a extra USB port get a Y splitter that powers the external 2TB HDD from the Wii U console. Otherwise the HDD will require it's own wall adapter.

only a problem if you don't mind the mess of Wiring behind you entertainment unit. Since if the Wii U is your primary console you will have a Blu Ray player, A cable/satellite box, and the Television itself. Most others will have another console and maybe a sound bar. cables and wires do add up. But it is only a minor problem if you don't like the visual mess.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

A 250 GB HDD is plenty unless you intend on going all Digital. If you are then a 2 TB HDD will probably keep you covered for the rest of the generation.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if you want to go all digital then maybe get a 500 or 1tb

if you just want to buy certain stuff digital and others physical.....then 250 is great.

i have a 500GB and ive had my wiiU for 2 years....i bought about 10 retail games digital and a bunch of eshop games..... i have only used like 80GB.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I have a 2TB external HDD on my Wii U. I haven't checked how much I've filled it up so far, but I've got about 10 full Wii U games on it and about 20 VC/Indie games on it. I understand most people don't do this, but even then I wouldn't go below 250GB if you want to future-proof yourself.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I wouldn't. People are experiencing so many problems with harddrives for the U. My recommendation is to get physical copies of all games. If you want lots of downloadable only-games, consider getting a HDD then. Just be sure to check which one Nintendo recommends.