How is the last story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

I've been watching a few vids of the last story and I've got a keen interesting in it now. I've been looking for another rpg/jrpg to keep me going after I finish xenoblade and all its epicness.

From what I've seen of the last story, the characters, story, setting and gameplay all look epic, only thing I'm worried about is that it seems to be rather short. The review says it averages out at 30 hours, does this mean that's how long the single player lasts with all the sidequests and such? Also is the replay value only in the multiplayer or does playing through the single player again have anything new?

What are you thoughts on it? Pros/Cons etc etc

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23893 Posts

Better than Xenoblade, best (non-remake) RPG I have played in a long while.

Pros

• Best Pacing in an RPG since Baldur's Gate 2
  • Politics in the storyline
  • Appearance determined by equipped armor, you can also dye your armor
  • Some memorable characters
  • For most of the part, the story didnt feel about 3 dudes saving the world, for most of the part, it felt about the characters themselves as opposed to their journey.
  • Some good boss fights
  • Not a single player mmo
  • Excellent side quests

Cons

• A bit on the easy side
  • Combat does leave something to be desired
  • A bit linear, with not that much exploration
  • Pretty short for a JRPG. I beat it in like 15 hours.
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts
- great combat and presentation - characters are great, as are the side quests - Story is really underwhelming - Framerate is a technical nightmare, various glitches. Lmao at it being a better game than Xenoblade :P
fantasyfacade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 fantasyfacade
Member since 2006 • 8317 Posts

Overall the game is brilliant, a rough diamond but one you'll enjoy it.

The battle system is easy to use, maybe a little too easy at times, but its easily forgiven.
The graphics are beautiful but there is an issue with framerate but that's the wii's problem not the games.
Characters are compelling and memorable.
The story is very endearing though it takes time to get into.
Plenty of side quests to add up hours of gameplay.

Also if you're using a large HDTV I suggest investing in a component cable as it can look fuzzy when using an RGB cable.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18251 Posts

At one point i was more hyped for Last Stor than for Xenoblade, now that i've been playing Xenoblade i don't think Last Story will be better, still, i'm very hyped for it, it looks really fun, no doubt a must buy when it comes to NA.

VetroPwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VetroPwns
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
so after my xbox360 quit service i want to buy a wii .... there very cheap right now over here, and after all the good critics i decided to buy The Last Story with it... i am (J)RPG-Enthusiast and i just heard good reviews, most from friends & coworkers, about the game... but does it only takes 15 hours? i mean that is very short for a JRPG.... can anyone confirm that? cheers
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WreckEm711
[QUOTE="VetroPwns"]so after my xbox360 quit service i want to buy a wii .... there very cheap right now over here, and after all the good critics i decided to buy The Last Story with it... i am (J)RPG-Enthusiast and i just heard good reviews, most from friends & coworkers, about the game... but does it only takes 15 hours? i mean that is very short for a JRPG.... can anyone confirm that? cheers

Its longer than that, I didn't even do all the side quests and I finished It in about 25 hours not including online stuff
VetroPwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VetroPwns
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="VetroPwns"]so after my xbox360 quit service i want to buy a wii .... there very cheap right now over here, and after all the good critics i decided to buy The Last Story with it... i am (J)RPG-Enthusiast and i just heard good reviews, most from friends & coworkers, about the game... but does it only takes 15 hours? i mean that is very short for a JRPG.... can anyone confirm that? cheers

Its longer than that, I didn't even do all the side quests and I finished It in about 25 hours not including online stuff

haha okay, than i'll play last story first and after that skyward sword =) thx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="VetroPwns"]so after my xbox360 quit service i want to buy a wii .... there very cheap right now over here, and after all the good critics i decided to buy The Last Story with it... i am (J)RPG-Enthusiast and i just heard good reviews, most from friends & coworkers, about the game... but does it only takes 15 hours? i mean that is very short for a JRPG.... can anyone confirm that? cheersVetroPwns

haha okay, than i'll play last story first and after that skyward sword =) thx

Lol yeah I saw that 15 hours and was like wtf that's short. Not too interested in online but keen to give SP a good bash and do everything.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Not as good as Xenoblade, the only thing that Last Story have over Xenoblade really is the character graphics, they do look better. Imo Xenoblade is a better game.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
A good JRPG; unlike Xenoblade Chronicles this one is more story oriented than Xenoblade. You use for most of the game the same character although sometimes you will be forced to use another. Sometimes. The only downfall of this game is that the FPS fall when there is a lot of things happening on the screen but after that The Last Story is a superb game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

A good JRPG; unlike Xenoblade Chronicles this one is more story oriented than Xenoblade. You use for most of the game the same character although sometimes you will be forced to use another. Sometimes. The only downfall of this game is that the FPS fall when there is a lot of things happening on the screen but after that The Last Story is a superb game. Miroku32

Yeah the most common gripe I've seen is the FPS issues. If only it was a PC game it could be patched to victory:P

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

It's good. The characters are fleshed out and the combat is different from what I've seen so far. With that said, my main issues with the game were:

- Frame rate.

- Story.

- Linearity.

Just don't play the game expecting it to be of the same quality as Xenoblade. They're two jRPGs with distinct styles, but Xenoblade is the better game - it's more epic, grand, and the character customization is considerably better. TLS is still a great game by its own merits, though, so you should definitely pick it up if you have the option.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad

- great combat and presentation - characters are great, as are the side quests - Story is really underwhelming - Framerate is a technical nightmare, various glitches. Lmao at it being a better game than Xenoblade :PWreckEm711

Wait, so a Single Player MMORPG with a cheesy banal "save the world" kind of story>proper well paced RPGs with excellent encounter design, quality sidequests and a story that involves politics?!?

TLS didnt have a particulary good story, but I prefered it over the cheese that was Xenoblade. I swear a 10 year old could easily come up with the plot for Xenoblade.

Prefering Xenoblade is fine, but I have my reasons for prefering The Last Story.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

The only problem I had with the last story is that it was too short and the slowdown on the game was unbearable.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

I didn't really think it was as short as everyone make it out to be. I finished the game at around 25 hours, that's not too short is it? In fact to be honest, I think I prefer jrpgs that are not overly long. Length isn't always better!

Anyway to me this is one of the few jrpgs of this generation that feels like a last generation jrpg (which is a good thing). Funny dialogue, likable characters and a town with fun side quests. Combat is a bit too easy but still, I found it very amusing and never got burnt out on it. Music is great and the characters look good as well. I really liked the first person "look around"-mode, for example it's rather amusing if you stare at some characters in town for example, they'll give you a comment of some sort. Tiny "details" like that is what makes this game a good jrpg. It has "soul", something I found Xenoblade lacked (felt rather "artificial"!).

The biggest con is the framerate which stays low pretty often but usually it's not much of a problem except for some scenes. To me, it's one of my favorite jrpgs of this generation.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]- great combat and presentation - characters are great, as are the side quests - Story is really underwhelming - Framerate is a technical nightmare, various glitches. Lmao at it being a better game than Xenoblade :PMaroxad

Wait, so a Single Player MMORPG with a cheesy banal "save the world" kind of story>proper well paced RPGs with excellent encounter design, quality sidequests and a story that involves politics?!?

TLS didnt have a particulary good story, but I prefered it over the cheese that was Xenoblade. I swear a 10 year old could easily come up with the plot for Xenoblade.

Prefering Xenoblade is fine, but I have my reasons for prefering The Last Story.

Because The Last Story DOESN'T have a cheesy save the world story? A least Xenoblades is unique and actually has plot twists, TLS is the same basic plot the entire game, and yes, it's a whole "We've got to save the world from this strange power!" thing you're slamming about another game :lol:
carmelgene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 carmelgene
Member since 2012 • 68 Posts
well it's very good.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

WreckEm711

Because The Last Story DOESN'T have a cheesy save the world story? A least Xenoblades is unique and actually has plot twists, TLS is the same basic plot the entire game, and yes, it's a whole "We've got to save the world from this strange power!" thing you're slamming about another game :lol:

Story in Xenoblade: With the power of friendship and with this mystic sword, we shall save humanity...

[spoiler] and later on the whole world from this *sigh* evil god [/spoiler]

Story in the Last Story: We got to chase our dreams to become knights...

[spoiler] but knighthood wasnt all that it was cracked up to be, and the world is dying, so lets save it in the end [/spoiler]

While the saving the world is in TLS, it takes the backstage compared to the main plot of TLS, which is achieving knighthood.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
its great but not better of xenoblade
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

Story in Xenoblade: With the power of friendship and with this mystic sword, we shall save humanity...

[spoiler] and later on the whole world from this *sigh* evil god [/spoiler]

Story in the Last Story: We got to chase our dreams to become knights...

[spoiler] but knighthood wasnt all that it was cracked up to be, and the world is dying, so lets save it in the end [/spoiler]

While the saving the world is in TLS, it takes the backstage compared to the main plot of TLS, which is achieving knighthood.

Im sorry, this is just lol. You just hit the entirety of the story that TLS encompasses, thats how simple and bland it is. Meanwhile, Xenoblades has a ton of elements throughout the story that you conveniently leave you to make it sound as simple as possible :lol:

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
I just finished Last Story with a playtime of 30 hours and want to join your discussion about the story. I think both of you are right here. The story of TLS was greatly told and quite interesting BUT it still was by far the most cliché JRPG I've ever played. As good as the story was, it was about as innovative as dry bread. The endless string of "I just knew this scene would be coming" moments was pretty extreme.

I see this game more as an homage to typical cheasy JRPGs. This already starts with the title - "The Last Story" is pretty similar to "Final Fantasy", don't you think? And the basic idea of the battle system reminded me quite a bit of Ar tonelico.

My judgment on TLS: An unoriginal but greatly designed JRPG which tells it's standard-story with great dialogues. Recommended to anyone who misses how the genre used to be up to the early 2000's. 85/100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

I just finished Last Story with a playtime of 30 hours and want to join your discussion about the story. I think both of you are right here. The story of TLS was greatly told and quite interesting BUT it still was by far the most cliché JRPG I've ever played. As good as the story was, it was about as innovative as dry bread. The endless string of "I just knew this scene would be coming" moments was pretty extreme.

I see this game more as an homage to typical cheasy JRPGs. This already starts with the title - "The Last Story" is pretty similar to "Final Fantasy", don't you think? And the basic idea of the battle system reminded me quite a bit of Ar tonelico.

My judgment on TLS: An unoriginal but greatly designed JRPG which tells it's standard-story with great dialogues. Recommended to anyone who misses how the genre used to be up to the early 2000's. 85/100Reptylus

Sounds good to me, I'm just waiting for my copy to arrive:D