How does launch work?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I personally have never been to a console launch or pre-ordered a console. I am wondering since all pre-orders everywhere are filled now, is th eonly way to get one to wait in line outside a store? If so, do they save a certain amount that are not for pre-order? Must be if pre-orders are all sold out and yet people will wait in line to get one.

#2 Posted by neji122793 (831 posts) -

This is my first console launch also but I pre ordered my Wii U at the most random gamestop so hopefully no long line. Also pretty sure launch day pre orders are sold first and if you get lucky you can maybe find one.

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8565 posts) -
Most stores will be preorder only and maybe a couple extras depending on the store. You can still preorder at Target though. I would still wait outside on launch day.
#4 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

I'm going to the Nintendo World Store in New York to wait in line. Hopefully New York's all fixed up by then. This will be the first time I ever wait in line this long for something lol :P but i've always wanted to experience a console launch like this so i'm going to do it! Got a Wii U pre ordered just in case though.

And whatever happened to Travis "Triforce" Johnson? He was waiting in line a month earlier at the Nintendo store in New York. Did he have to end up evacuating?

#5 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8565 posts) -
Yes he did. It was on the nintendo news websites/blogs. They made him leave but said he gets his first spot back when its safe.
#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (37825 posts) -

All stores will have extras

They offer up a certain amount for preorder and then the rest is for walk in traffic.

They'll also reserve some to bring people in for Black Friday.

#7 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Most stores will be preorder only and maybe a couple extras depending on the store. You can still preorder at Target though. I would still wait outside on launch day.AutoPilotOn

I don't see anythin on their site. It just has the WiiU but doesnt have any pre-order or buy option.

#8 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8565 posts) -
I am talking in store. I was just there yesterday. They have 5 dollar preorder cards in game section. 1 dollar to preorder games.
#9 Posted by gameofthering (10394 posts) -

I still don't understand why people line up for stuff.

E.g A new game is having a midnight launch but whats the point when you can pre-order it and have it delivered 1-2 days early.

#10 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8565 posts) -

E.g A new game is having a midnight launch but whats the point when you can pre-order it and have it delivered 1-2 days early.

gameofthering
For fun.
#11 Posted by jeffster85 (2286 posts) -

gameofthering
because we live in a "now" society.
#12 Posted by Megavideogamer (5480 posts) -

Try a radio Shack or a london drugs. or any small electronics store. Then get in line since they may have 3-5 Wii U systems alotted to them. EBgames/Gamestop seems to have sold out of their Wii U stock.

#13 Posted by ZamboniGamer (519 posts) -

really?

#14 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

gameofthering

Because going out and actually socializing with people is fun, rather then sitting in your home like some kind of hermit.

#15 Posted by ZamboniGamer (519 posts) -

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Vickman178

Because going out and actually socializing with people is fun, rather then sitting in your home like some kind of hermit.

I've only been to one midnight launch and saw many intersting people there. It's great people watching :)

#16 Posted by Jaysonguy (37825 posts) -

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Vickman178

Hey, if your life is to the point where standing in a line for hours like you're in Russia waiting for toilet paper is a great time more power to you

Most of us have better things to do

#17 Posted by ZamboniGamer (519 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Jaysonguy

Hey, if your life is to the point where standing in a line for hours like you're in Russia waiting for toilet paper is a great time more power to you

Have to agree. I would rather wait the next day for it to be delivered or pick it up. I can survive 12-15 hrs not having a game.

#18 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8565 posts) -
My gamestop is in the mall of not opened midnight. They said they are only getting a handful of systems so its not enough to let them stay open even if they wanted. They are blowing all their extra hours staying open for halo and black ops2.
#19 Posted by Sepewrath (28770 posts) -
Most large retail chains will have a bunch to sale to walk ins, but of course those will sell out fast.
#20 Posted by nini200 (10083 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Jaysonguy

Hey Jay, you know we have to stand in line to build up our friends lists. :lol:
#21 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I am talking in store. I was just there yesterday. They have 5 dollar preorder cards in game section. 1 dollar to preorder games. AutoPilotOn

5 dollat pre-order cards? I am confused, cause you say in game section, then you say games are 1 dollar to pre-order. So I can reserve a system for 5 bucks?

#22 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8565 posts) -

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I am talking in store. I was just there yesterday. They have 5 dollar preorder cards in game section. 1 dollar to preorder games. NaveedLife

5 dollat pre-order cards? I am confused, cause you say in game section, then you say games are 1 dollar to pre-order. So I can reserve a system for 5 bucks?

In Target stores in the video game section they have WiiU system preorders for 5 dollars each and games for 1 dollar each. I know the games give you a 5 dollar GC once you pick it up and pay it off. I am not sure what the system gives.
#23 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I am talking in store. I was just there yesterday. They have 5 dollar preorder cards in game section. 1 dollar to preorder games. AutoPilotOn

In Target stores in the video game section they have WiiU system preorders for 5 dollars each and games for 1 dollar each. I know the games give you a 5 dollar GC once you pick it up and pay it off. I am not sure what the system gives.

im shocked they only expect 5 bucks. and That means I would have to drive to one too...which is rather difficult right now :(.

#24 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2112 posts) -
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I am talking in store. I was just there yesterday. They have 5 dollar preorder cards in game section. 1 dollar to preorder games. AutoPilotOn

The preorders at my Target were for the 8 GB version only. No way in the world Im getting a white Wii U!!! Ill wait for the Black one!