How comfortable is the Gamepad to use as a controller?

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

User Lists: 0

#1 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I have had my doubts about it but now I am ready to get a Wii U as my secondary console for this gen but my one question is how does it feel. Is the Gamepad comfortable and easy to use or will it take time to adapt to it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 61913
Member since 2006 • 736 Posts

@chocolate1325: My main console is a ps4 always been a sony fanboy haha But i also love mario kart etc . So I finally got it as my 2nd console and the gamepad is HUGE but its actually pretty easy to use . Only took me some minutes haha

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Most comfortable controller I've used. Its better than the 360 controller which I thought was the most natural controller in gaming history.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i didnt even buy a gamecube adapter for smash or a pro controller.

gamepad give me no cramps or soreness at all its great.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

It's fine. Sure it doesn't look comfortable, but when you start playing, it's fine. If it really concerns you, you can use the Wii U Pro Controller which most games support.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

mine is comfortable.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

It's surprisingly comfortable to hold even though it looks so awkward. My only complaint is that it's on the heavy side or rather, heavier than what I'm used to for a controller.

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

The Gamepad is very comfortable and convenient. The touchscreen and keypad functions are so convenient for scrolling through menus and typing I don’t want another console without a Gamepad.

rreavis1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rreavis1986
Member since 2014 • 28 Posts

I usually only post on IGN, but I've been coming here lately, so I figured it was time to make an account here.

I was always a Nintendo guy. The GC and N64 controllers remain as some of my favorite controllers of all time, but I think that Nintendo has lost their touch at making top notch controllers. My favorite controller last gen was the 360 and now its the XB1's. When I play games on my Wii U, I use the Pro controller. The only time I use the Gamepad is if the game doesn't support the pro controller or if I using offscreen play. The gamepad just doesn't fit my hands very well and I have very large hands and I love the ogXBOX duke controller, so my hands are definitely not to small for it. When I use the gamepad my right hand goes numb after a few minutes. No other controller has ever done this to me besides the dual shock controllers(except the DS4). I wouldn't consider it to be caused from the weight of the gamepad because it is actually fairly light. Additionally the DS3 was super lightweight and it done me the same way. I think it comes down to the way my hands are positioned because of the way the controller is shaped.

Now I know many people who love the gamepad, so its really a love it or hate it design.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I don't like it. Thankfully, nearly all Wii U games support the Pro Controller which is a great controller, so I just use the Pro Controller instead of the gamepad whenever I play a game on my Wii U.

big_mak523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By big_mak523
Member since 2011 • 210 Posts

I bought pro controllers thinking I would need them but I never use them. The only game I don't use the gamepad with is Smash Brothers.. That needs a GameCube Controller. I prefer the gamepad for everything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

Most comfortable controller I've used. Its better than the 360 controller which I thought was the most natural controller in gaming history.

Is this bizarro world?

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Chozofication said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Is this bizarro world?

What? Its true. I prefer the gamepad over the 360 controller. The 360 controller feels awkward in my hands after all the time I've used the gamepad. At this point I prefer the gamepad to the 360 controller and that is my favorite controller.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

It is of course a tad heavier than the pro controller/ any other smaller controller..so unless you have problems with your wrist, your hand should adjust to it, just a standard controller with a big screen. Crap battery life though. :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17802 Posts

my only complaint is that i have to extend my fingers a bit too much to get to the L and R buttons when switching from ZL and ZR. i would have preferred to have the ZL closer to L and ZR closer to R.

other than that its perfectly comfy and functions like any normal controller.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

No problems with it what so ever!

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It's a comfortable controller. It takes some getting used to. I recommend getting a silicone jacket for it. The jacket keeps me from dealing with the fingerprints all over the glossy surface and it makes the Gamepad feel better in your hands.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

The controller sits fine in each hand, they're just further apart than you'd be used to with most controllers, but this ultimately doesn't get in the way of comfort or practicality.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

It's not my favorite controller, that's still the GameCube, but it's pretty good. Can take a while to get used to the size, but if you've ever played a DS/3DS it's not a huge jump. It's also far from the worst controller Nintendo has ever made, that goes to the thumb destroying N64.

notsogoodyts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 notsogoodyts
Member since 2014 • 30 Posts

It's a great controller, very comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as the Xbox One controller for me, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Wii U Gamepad is comfortable to use as a primary controller. If you can get used to the Wideness of the tablet shaped rectangle. It is light and easy to hold for a long gaming session. You just have to adjust to the wide feeling of this Gamepad. Takes some time to become used to using but overall it works well. The only thing is the mushy D pad is not the best feeling.

I use the Pro Controller more, but it is that I am used to the Xbox 360 shape of the Nintendo pro controller. That Gamepad is comfortable overall. But just it is my choice to use the Wii U pro Controller over the gamepad. Battery life is way better

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

I think it's a fantastic controller. I have Wii U Pro controllers also which are pretty much the best normal controller, but I rarely use them because of the Gamepad. It's lighter than it looks and is very comfortable to hold.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

it's fine, i bought a pro controller though and it's much more comfortable to use. there is one thing that really throws me off though... I game mostly on pc with a 360 controller. the wii u uses the exact same buttons... a b x y but they are not positioned the same as on the 360 controller and it's been giving me more trouble than I would like. also, they still use the standard A to accept B to go back with everything and with the buttons re arranged it is taking me forever not to hit the bottom button to proceed and the right one to return, it's opposite with the wii u.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@rreavis1986 said:

I love the ogXBOX duke controller

I thought I was the only one..

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

It's surprisingly comfortable to hold even though it looks so awkward. My only complaint is that it's on the heavy side or rather, heavier than what I'm used to for a controller.

It weighs the same as an Xbox 360 controller lol...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34547 Posts

It's good, but I prefer the pro controller because of the gamepad being a bit heavy and big.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Aquat1cF1sh said:

It weighs the same as an Xbox 360 controller lol...

Is your 360 controller made of lead?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5242 Posts

After owning a Wii U for more than a year, I can say that the GamePad is as comfortable to me as many people.