How come i never see adults or teens playing DS?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Ok well at least in my area, i've NEVER in my life seen an adult or teen playing a ds except me. I only see kids ages 7-12 playing pokemon and kiddie crap. I even went to a Japanese airport recently and expected there to be AT LEAST some people playing a DS there. BUT NO. they were all using ipod touch's and apple products for entertainment.

I really feel outdated and childish when i play my DS in public. Actually im ashamed to take it out of my pocket Do you guys ever feel like this?

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#2 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I play my DS at work all the time, and so do some of my co-workers.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts
as to why dont we see more people playing DSs in public? no idea. i can only specualte that there not really interested in games and there using their i___ to do something else (with some playing games of course). as for do i feel ashamed about playing a DS in public? no..why would i?
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I have seen a relatively broad range play DS in public. Of course that is in public, so you wont see an adult shopping while playing their DS, but the kid has nothing to do so will be playing the DS. So yeah it is kind of skewed statistics :P.

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

Currently I'm living in Japan and usually you can see a decent amount of people playing DS on the train.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

first, you're unlucky. i see people my age (18 ) and older playing the DS all the time. well, not all the time, but frequently.

second, being ashamed of being happy is stupid. don't be stupid, play your DS.

CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I play my DS in public, especially on the airplane. :)
Narroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Narroo
Member since 2006 • 2165 Posts
[QUOTE="rpg_addition"]

I can tell you why... DS is crap. The games have no depth and I reckon the whole pictochat thing was a waste of space. I sold it happily.

Good news! The 3DS aims to fix the depth problem!
d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#10 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Ok well at least in my area, i've NEVER in my life seen an adult or teen playing a ds except me. I only see kids ages 7-12 playing pokemon and kiddie crap. I even went to a Japanese airport recently and expected there to be AT LEAST some people playing a DS there. BUT NO. they were all using ipod touch's and apple products for entertainment.

I really feel outdated and childish when i play my DS in public. Actually im ashamed to take it out of my pocket Do you guys ever feel like this?

martinX3X
I'm gonna guess most adults don't play their DS in public because they have things to do besides sitting around playing games and I don't mean that in a negative way. They probably play it at home. I'm an adult and I don't lug around my DS outside of the house to play games while I'm waiting around. If anything, I'll play a game on my cellphone while waiting in public.
rpg_addition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rpg_addition
Member since 2010 • 45 Posts

LOL! Nintendo did a shocking job on 3DS.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
You probably see people playing on their iSomething more often since they just so happen to be a phone/mp3 player/tablet that just so happens to have game functionality. I actually haven't seen many teens/adults using a DS either, I think there is only one other person aside from me who plays his DS on the bus, and even then one of us will usually pass up playing the DS for a good book.
pjrulez312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 pjrulez312
Member since 2009 • 195 Posts

DS doesnt appeal to parents and teens as much because of the game choices availible. Also, parents and teens usually find it embarrassing to have it in public because they think it makes them look immature. when i turned into a teen, i also stopped but not because of embarassment. i stopped because i didnt find the games interesting anymore and i switched to my ipod for protable entertainment. even my psp got boring for me.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :P
CyberKlown28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 CyberKlown28
Member since 2008 • 1198 Posts
my family and old friends (18-50) have a ds and bring it where it will be needed and play it without shame. before the dsi, it was just a gaming device though...which a lot of non-gamers see as..nerdy and stuff. but eh, whatever, ds rules... and the 3DS will be much less awkward in public...3D pictures ftw xD
Lanbeforetime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lanbeforetime
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts
I have multiple sightings of older people playing the DS. 1) Myself and my friends in school playing various racing games from across the classroom 2) I was at a pokemon event with my friend and literally saw a man old enough to a proud parent of a teenager there waiting for the event. We had a nice conversation. 3) I was at the hospital once and saw a women who suffered frequent heart attacks. She was usually in there and needed something to keep occupied and thus was playing Big Brain Academy on the DS. We ended up playing it together.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I play my DS all the time (I'm 17) and I don't really care what other people are playing. Chances are, once they see that games on the DS their little phone games will not look so fun anymore.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I play my DS all the time (I'm 17) and I don't really care what other people are playing. Chances are, once they see that games on the DS their little phone games will not look so fun anymore.SF_KiLLaMaN
Phone (specifically the ones avaliable on Apple Products) are a lot of fun. They're usually not a full fledged gaming experience, but they offer the addictive bite-sized flash game experience which can be just as fun as anything else out there.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#20 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I dont see any adults playing it in public, I do see high-shool kids with them out and about, but I know so many adults that own one and play it in their personal space as opposed to a portable one. I bring my DS to work, but only sometimes play it on the train (depends how into a game I am). I'd call the iPhone/Itouch a legitimate gaming platform, you just need to look.
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts

I'm rarely out in public....lol

But I assure you, I'm one of the resident old people here, a 40-something guy who uses the XL for games, to learn Spanish, and as an e-book reader.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I've played my DS in public and no shame in that whatsoever. I'm a proud DS Lite owner.

Oblivion_540

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Oblivion_540
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

I have seen a couple of people at the mall who sit and play their DSs at the food court. I have also seen adults play them in gaming conventions and expo's. Everytime I see a kid with a DS I think to myself "wow, their parents must be nice" because I doubt my parents would trust me withone at that age. :P

binpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 binpink
Member since 2009 • 9163 Posts

I've played my DS in public and no shame in that whatsoever. I'm a proud DS Lite owner.

Calvin079

Same for me.

Well almost. I did feel a tad silly playing at the orthodontist, surrounded by kids. Or when I was out and a kid had a DS and I realized we were both playing Pokemon. Oh well. Can't worry about what everyone else thinks.

Mizuki88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#27 Mizuki88
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

Actually a lot of my friends have a DS and use them often. I do too, and were all in high school. My sisters also 18 and she plays Cooking Mama haha xD

misiufraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 misiufraggle
Member since 2009 • 653 Posts

I'm probably one of the oldest people on here, and I've been very glad to use a DS on long train journeys and when waiting at the airport. Puzzle Quest was brilliant for passing the time on the train.

KillerTofu89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KillerTofu89
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts
It only leaves my house when I know I'm going to be waiting for something...oil change, etc.
6connormatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 6connormatt
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts
I only see teens and adults playing something on public transport. Or If their having lunch.
M3ran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#31 M3ran
Member since 2010 • 686 Posts

theres no need to be ashamed of it,why would you?

it is japanese product,and is good enought to sell millions in japan,and else where,

so i would be happy if i was you:P

i might be getting a DSlite,im 20:D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 19061980
Member since 2005 • 961 Posts

I see adults playing DSs on the train all the time.

ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Yah I have only seen 2 adults ever playing their DS, it was in the airport :P. As for kids my age (16) uh, hardly see it at all. I can't remember the last time I did. And only a couple of my friends have a DS but they rarely use it :(

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#34 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

martinX3X

very interesting subject. I see a few older women at my job playing them in the cafe during their lunches. Although playing games in public does feel a little weird. I have movies on my handheld, so when I pull it out and play the movies people always come over and watch over my shoulder or sit next to me.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#35 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

binpink

Same for me.

Well almost. I did feel a tad silly playing at the orthodontist, surrounded by kids. Or when I was out and a kid had a DS and I realized we were both playing Pokemon. Oh well. Can't worry about what everyone else thinks.

Yea it is weird. When I am gaming on my handheld people make remarks like "put that thing away its for kid" or "aint you too old for that?" but when it is playing a movie or playing music, no one says anything. So I still think the gaming aspect is still looked upon as for children instead of full range entertainment.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

I bring it with me many times, but almost never ever bring it out of my pocket due to embarrassment. One time I did bring it out and children flocked to me to watch me play, yet there's a guy across the room that's around my age and looks like my lost twin with a PSP and no gives a damn. I blame shovelware for the bad publicity.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Funny how I've seen more people play with their GBA instead of a DS in the past few weeks. :o

I used to bring my DS EVERYWHERE last year, but I've stopped and only play at home. Probably because a bunch of kids gather around me and see my play. It gets really awkward, but I do give some Pokemon tips to the younger fans. :P :)

Older people might not have the time to sit around and play with a DS. Multitasking is pretty common these days. I'm sure people can walk while listening to music, read and see your surroundings while listening to music, and pay attention to what stop they should get off on the train while listening to music. But doing all those tasks can be difficult when playing with a DS. This might be why many people use their phones or ipods for entertainment, but when it comes to long trips, I'm sure many will play with their DS/PSP.

I don't know if I should feel embarrassed playing on my DS since I look pretty young for my age (15), but I sound like an adult when talking. :lol:
I do know that I'm going to take my 3DS everywhere and show it off. :P

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

Well, I'm 14 and I play DS a lot... in the car.

Apple products are usually more popular because they're usually closer to hand and easier to use... imo.

Not that I dislike the DS...

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Funny how I've seen more people play with their GBA instead of a DS in the past few weeks. :o

I used to bring my DS EVERYWHERE last year, but I've stopped and only play at home. Probably because a bunch of kids gather around me and see my play. It gets really awkward, but I do give some Pokemon tips to the younger fans. :P :)

Older people might not have the time to sit around and play with a DS. Multitasking is pretty common these days. I'm sure people can walk while listening to music, read and see your surroundings while listening to music, and pay attention to what stop they should get off on the train while listening to music. But doing all those tasks can be difficult when playing with a DS. This might be why many people use their phones or ipods for entertainment, but when it comes to long trips, I'm sure many will play with their DS/PSP.

I don't know if I should feel embarrassed playing on my DS since I look pretty young for my age (15), but I sound like an adult when talking. :lol:
I do know that I'm going to take my 3DS everywhere and show it off. :P

ANIMEguy10034

I laughed at the pokemon part :P

sman3579

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 sman3579
Member since 2008 • 21174 Posts

I've seen both adults and teens playing DS. Not many, but still some.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

I rarely even take handhelds on the go with me, unless I'm staying somewhere overnight or something. But yeah I never see handhelds being played by anyone in public besides young kids either.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Most people (like me) Don't play handhelds in public. I'm 17 and enjoy my DS, but I usually play it at home, in a car, or at a place I am visiting. Rarely do I ever play it outside or in a public place.
ibrahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ibrahack
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I do not feel embarrassed playing at my DSi XL on public and I am 27 years old.. I love playing everywhere, don't care if people think I look like a child! xD

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

[QUOTE="binpink"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Coolyfett

Same for me.

Yea it is weird. When I am gaming on my handheld people make remarks like "put that thing away its for kid" or "aint you too old for that?" but when it is playing a movie or playing music, no one says anything. So I still think the gaming aspect is still looked upon as for children instead of full range entertainment.

They're behind the times. But, it is ture that the handhelds are generally geared for children; won't deny that. But, thats not to say that an adult can't play videogames on a handheld. Play a strategy game then see whta people say.

Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
I do it in my room or while watching TV, when im out and about im DOING SOMETHING which typically takes 101% of my time since thats why I left in the first place. Children are seen playing them in public due to having to be dragged around and forced to do things they may not want. When you have a car and are typically going and doing things for a reason a DS doesn't get much face time. Now if I had an annoying girlfriend who loved shopping and wasting mad ammounts of my hard earned cash like I used to .... well those days were another story XD
Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts
Most people I know that own DSes are over or at 18, including myself.
Rheiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Rheiken
Member since 2009 • 677 Posts
I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :PNerubianWeaver
It's a phone and a media player, that's what it has. When you're ready to go to work or the store, you don't grab your wallet, keys, and your DS. You grab your wallet, keys, and phone and/or mp3 player (many people use them in cars while driving). That's probably why.
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#48 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I'm an adult and I play DS. I even do so outside, even if people look at me kind of funny..
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :PRheiken
It's a phone and a media player, that's what it has. When you're ready to go to work or the store, you don't grab your wallet, keys, and your DS. You grab your wallet, keys, and phone and/or mp3 player (many people use them in cars while driving). That's probably why.

Well there's people that I've sees who use their iphone longer than i expected. They are not texting or playing music.
RichardWrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RichardWrite
Member since 2009 • 344 Posts
[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :PRheiken

My DSi XL is a media player, camera, clock, organizer, e-reader, and web browser....pretty much everything that an iPhone is except a phone.