How come i never see adults or teens playing DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by martinX3X (4488 posts) -

Ok well at least in my area, i've NEVER in my life seen an adult or teen playing a ds except me. I only see kids ages 7-12 playing pokemon and kiddie crap. I even went to a Japanese airport recently and expected there to be AT LEAST some people playing a DS there. BUT NO. they were all using ipod touch's and apple products for entertainment.

I really feel outdated and childish when i play my DS in public. Actually im ashamed to take it out of my pocket Do you guys ever feel like this?

#2 Posted by King9999 (11835 posts) -

I play my DS at work all the time, and so do some of my co-workers.

#3 Posted by osan0 (12971 posts) -
as to why dont we see more people playing DSs in public? no idea. i can only specualte that there not really interested in games and there using their i___ to do something else (with some playing games of course). as for do i feel ashamed about playing a DS in public? no..why would i?
#4 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I have seen a relatively broad range play DS in public. Of course that is in public, so you wont see an adult shopping while playing their DS, but the kid has nothing to do so will be playing the DS. So yeah it is kind of skewed statistics :P.

#5 Posted by oldmanriver1 (726 posts) -

Currently I'm living in Japan and usually you can see a decent amount of people playing DS on the train.

#6 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

first, you're unlucky. i see people my age (18 ) and older playing the DS all the time. well, not all the time, but frequently.

second, being ashamed of being happy is stupid. don't be stupid, play your DS.

#7 Posted by CodingGenius (8118 posts) -
I play my DS in public, especially on the airplane. :)
#9 Posted by Narroo (2165 posts) -
[QUOTE="rpg_addition"]

I can tell you why... DS is crap. The games have no depth and I reckon the whole pictochat thing was a waste of space. I sold it happily.

Good news! The 3DS aims to fix the depth problem!
#10 Posted by d_parker (1725 posts) -

Ok well at least in my area, i've NEVER in my life seen an adult or teen playing a ds except me. I only see kids ages 7-12 playing pokemon and kiddie crap. I even went to a Japanese airport recently and expected there to be AT LEAST some people playing a DS there. BUT NO. they were all using ipod touch's and apple products for entertainment.

I really feel outdated and childish when i play my DS in public. Actually im ashamed to take it out of my pocket Do you guys ever feel like this?

martinX3X
I'm gonna guess most adults don't play their DS in public because they have things to do besides sitting around playing games and I don't mean that in a negative way. They probably play it at home. I'm an adult and I don't lug around my DS outside of the house to play games while I'm waiting around. If anything, I'll play a game on my cellphone while waiting in public.
#11 Posted by rpg_addition (45 posts) -

LOL! Nintendo did a shocking job on 3DS.

#12 Posted by forgot_it (6756 posts) -
You probably see people playing on their iSomething more often since they just so happen to be a phone/mp3 player/tablet that just so happens to have game functionality. I actually haven't seen many teens/adults using a DS either, I think there is only one other person aside from me who plays his DS on the bus, and even then one of us will usually pass up playing the DS for a good book.
#14 Posted by pjrulez312 (195 posts) -

DS doesnt appeal to parents and teens as much because of the game choices availible. Also, parents and teens usually find it embarrassing to have it in public because they think it makes them look immature. when i turned into a teen, i also stopped but not because of embarassment. i stopped because i didnt find the games interesting anymore and i switched to my ipod for protable entertainment. even my psp got boring for me.

#15 Posted by NerubianWeaver (2046 posts) -
I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :P
#16 Posted by CyberKlown28 (1198 posts) -
my family and old friends (18-50) have a ds and bring it where it will be needed and play it without shame. before the dsi, it was just a gaming device though...which a lot of non-gamers see as..nerdy and stuff. but eh, whatever, ds rules... and the 3DS will be much less awkward in public...3D pictures ftw xD
#17 Posted by Lanbeforetime (118 posts) -
I have multiple sightings of older people playing the DS. 1) Myself and my friends in school playing various racing games from across the classroom 2) I was at a pokemon event with my friend and literally saw a man old enough to a proud parent of a teenager there waiting for the event. We had a nice conversation. 3) I was at the hospital once and saw a women who suffered frequent heart attacks. She was usually in there and needed something to keep occupied and thus was playing Big Brain Academy on the DS. We ended up playing it together.
#18 Posted by SF_KiLLaMaN (6446 posts) -
I play my DS all the time (I'm 17) and I don't really care what other people are playing. Chances are, once they see that games on the DS their little phone games will not look so fun anymore.
#19 Posted by forgot_it (6756 posts) -
I play my DS all the time (I'm 17) and I don't really care what other people are playing. Chances are, once they see that games on the DS their little phone games will not look so fun anymore.SF_KiLLaMaN
Phone (specifically the ones avaliable on Apple Products) are a lot of fun. They're usually not a full fledged gaming experience, but they offer the addictive bite-sized flash game experience which can be just as fun as anything else out there.
#20 Posted by illmatic87 (15462 posts) -
I dont see any adults playing it in public, I do see high-shool kids with them out and about, but I know so many adults that own one and play it in their personal space as opposed to a portable one. I bring my DS to work, but only sometimes play it on the train (depends how into a game I am). I'd call the iPhone/Itouch a legitimate gaming platform, you just need to look.
#22 Posted by RichardWrite (344 posts) -

I'm rarely out in public....lol

But I assure you, I'm one of the resident old people here, a 40-something guy who uses the XL for games, to learn Spanish, and as an e-book reader.

#23 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

I've played my DS in public and no shame in that whatsoever. I'm a proud DS Lite owner.

#25 Posted by Oblivion_540 (206 posts) -

I have seen a couple of people at the mall who sit and play their DSs at the food court. I have also seen adults play them in gaming conventions and expo's. Everytime I see a kid with a DS I think to myself "wow, their parents must be nice" because I doubt my parents would trust me withone at that age. :P

#26 Posted by binpink (9112 posts) -

I've played my DS in public and no shame in that whatsoever. I'm a proud DS Lite owner.

Calvin079

Same for me.

Well almost. I did feel a tad silly playing at the orthodontist, surrounded by kids. Or when I was out and a kid had a DS and I realized we were both playing Pokemon. Oh well. Can't worry about what everyone else thinks.

#27 Posted by Mizuki88 (180 posts) -

Actually a lot of my friends have a DS and use them often. I do too, and were all in high school. My sisters also 18 and she plays Cooking Mama haha xD

#28 Posted by misiufraggle (653 posts) -

I'm probably one of the oldest people on here, and I've been very glad to use a DS on long train journeys and when waiting at the airport. Puzzle Quest was brilliant for passing the time on the train.

#29 Posted by KillerTofu89 (145 posts) -
It only leaves my house when I know I'm going to be waiting for something...oil change, etc.
#30 Posted by 6connormatt (97 posts) -
I only see teens and adults playing something on public transport. Or If their having lunch.
#31 Posted by M3ran (686 posts) -

theres no need to be ashamed of it,why would you?

it is japanese product,and is good enought to sell millions in japan,and else where,

so i would be happy if i was you:P

i might be getting a DSlite,im 20:D

#32 Posted by 19061980 (961 posts) -

I see adults playing DSs on the train all the time.

#33 Posted by ACL0V3R (2273 posts) -

Yah I have only seen 2 adults ever playing their DS, it was in the airport :P. As for kids my age (16) uh, hardly see it at all. I can't remember the last time I did. And only a couple of my friends have a DS but they rarely use it :(

#34 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

martinX3X

very interesting subject. I see a few older women at my job playing them in the cafe during their lunches. Although playing games in public does feel a little weird. I have movies on my handheld, so when I pull it out and play the movies people always come over and watch over my shoulder or sit next to me.

#35 Posted by Coolyfett (5088 posts) -

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

binpink

Same for me.

Well almost. I did feel a tad silly playing at the orthodontist, surrounded by kids. Or when I was out and a kid had a DS and I realized we were both playing Pokemon. Oh well. Can't worry about what everyone else thinks.

Yea it is weird. When I am gaming on my handheld people make remarks like "put that thing away its for kid" or "aint you too old for that?" but when it is playing a movie or playing music, no one says anything. So I still think the gaming aspect is still looked upon as for children instead of full range entertainment.

#36 Posted by ZIVX (2981 posts) -

I bring it with me many times, but almost never ever bring it out of my pocket due to embarrassment. One time I did bring it out and children flocked to me to watch me play, yet there's a guy across the room that's around my age and looks like my lost twin with a PSP and no gives a damn. I blame shovelware for the bad publicity.

#37 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4877 posts) -

Funny how I've seen more people play with their GBA instead of a DS in the past few weeks. :o

I used to bring my DS EVERYWHERE last year, but I've stopped and only play at home. Probably because a bunch of kids gather around me and see my play. It gets really awkward, but I do give some Pokemon tips to the younger fans. :P :)

Older people might not have the time to sit around and play with a DS. Multitasking is pretty common these days. I'm sure people can walk while listening to music, read and see your surroundings while listening to music, and pay attention to what stop they should get off on the train while listening to music. But doing all those tasks can be difficult when playing with a DS. This might be why many people use their phones or ipods for entertainment, but when it comes to long trips, I'm sure many will play with their DS/PSP.

I don't know if I should feel embarrassed playing on my DS since I look pretty young for my age (15), but I sound like an adult when talking. :lol:
I do know that I'm going to take my 3DS everywhere and show it off. :P

#38 Posted by KillerWabbit23 (3466 posts) -

Well, I'm 14 and I play DS a lot... in the car.

Apple products are usually more popular because they're usually closer to hand and easier to use... imo.

Not that I dislike the DS...

#39 Posted by martinX3X (4488 posts) -

Funny how I've seen more people play with their GBA instead of a DS in the past few weeks. :o

I used to bring my DS EVERYWHERE last year, but I've stopped and only play at home. Probably because a bunch of kids gather around me and see my play. It gets really awkward, but I do give some Pokemon tips to the younger fans. :P :)

Older people might not have the time to sit around and play with a DS. Multitasking is pretty common these days. I'm sure people can walk while listening to music, read and see your surroundings while listening to music, and pay attention to what stop they should get off on the train while listening to music. But doing all those tasks can be difficult when playing with a DS. This might be why many people use their phones or ipods for entertainment, but when it comes to long trips, I'm sure many will play with their DS/PSP.

I don't know if I should feel embarrassed playing on my DS since I look pretty young for my age (15), but I sound like an adult when talking. :lol:
I do know that I'm going to take my 3DS everywhere and show it off. :P

ANIMEguy10034

I laughed at the pokemon part :P

#40 Posted by sman3579 (21174 posts) -

I've seen both adults and teens playing DS. Not many, but still some.

#41 Posted by lex_in_the_moon (770 posts) -

I rarely even take handhelds on the go with me, unless I'm staying somewhere overnight or something. But yeah I never see handhelds being played by anyone in public besides young kids either.

#42 Posted by SF_KiLLaMaN (6446 posts) -
Most people (like me) Don't play handhelds in public. I'm 17 and enjoy my DS, but I usually play it at home, in a car, or at a place I am visiting. Rarely do I ever play it outside or in a public place.
#43 Posted by ibrahack (6 posts) -

I do not feel embarrassed playing at my DSi XL on public and I am 27 years old.. I love playing everywhere, don't care if people think I look like a child! xD

#44 Posted by Calvin079 (16406 posts) -

[QUOTE="binpink"]

[QUOTE="Calvin079"]

Coolyfett

Same for me.

Yea it is weird. When I am gaming on my handheld people make remarks like "put that thing away its for kid" or "aint you too old for that?" but when it is playing a movie or playing music, no one says anything. So I still think the gaming aspect is still looked upon as for children instead of full range entertainment.

They're behind the times. But, it is ture that the handhelds are generally geared for children; won't deny that. But, thats not to say that an adult can't play videogames on a handheld. Play a strategy game then see whta people say.

#45 Posted by ColdfireTrilogy (4911 posts) -
I do it in my room or while watching TV, when im out and about im DOING SOMETHING which typically takes 101% of my time since thats why I left in the first place. Children are seen playing them in public due to having to be dragged around and forced to do things they may not want. When you have a car and are typically going and doing things for a reason a DS doesn't get much face time. Now if I had an annoying girlfriend who loved shopping and wasting mad ammounts of my hard earned cash like I used to .... well those days were another story XD
#46 Posted by Rheiken (677 posts) -
Most people I know that own DSes are over or at 18, including myself.
#47 Posted by Rheiken (677 posts) -
I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :PNerubianWeaver
It's a phone and a media player, that's what it has. When you're ready to go to work or the store, you don't grab your wallet, keys, and your DS. You grab your wallet, keys, and phone and/or mp3 player (many people use them in cars while driving). That's probably why.
#48 Posted by Daavpuke (13769 posts) -
I'm an adult and I play DS. I even do so outside, even if people look at me kind of funny..
#49 Posted by NerubianWeaver (2046 posts) -
[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :PRheiken
It's a phone and a media player, that's what it has. When you're ready to go to work or the store, you don't grab your wallet, keys, and your DS. You grab your wallet, keys, and phone and/or mp3 player (many people use them in cars while driving). That's probably why.

Well there's people that I've sees who use their iphone longer than i expected. They are not texting or playing music.
#50 Posted by RichardWrite (344 posts) -
[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]I've been in that situation before; All i see is people doing something with their Iphone. What does Iphone have that DS doesn't :PRheiken

My DSi XL is a media player, camera, clock, organizer, e-reader, and web browser....pretty much everything that an iPhone is except a phone.