How can nintendo not keep up with the DS supply / demand

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
For as long as the DS has been out, no matter how hot it is still selling there's really no excuse for Nintendo not keeping up with the demand. Yes they just launched the Wii, Yes the DS is still selling extremely well. No it's not that new of a technology that they shouldn't have these things filling the needs of everyone who wants one.

Anyone else finding it crazy that Nintendo is dropping the ball ont this?
ssc0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ssc0n
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
For as long as the DS has been out, no matter how hot it is still selling there's really no excuse for Nintendo not keeping up with the demand. Yes they just launched the Wii, Yes the DS is still selling extremely well. No it's not that new of a technology that they shouldn't have these things filling the needs of everyone who wants one.

rgsniper1
Yeah. But I stopped caring when I ordered mine this morning!!:D
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rgsniper1
[QUOTE="rgsniper1"]For as long as the DS has been out, no matter how hot it is still selling there's really no excuse for Nintendo not keeping up with the demand. Yes they just launched the Wii, Yes the DS is still selling extremely well. No it's not that new of a technology that they shouldn't have these things filling the needs of everyone who wants one.

ssc0n
Yeah. But I stopped caring when I ordered mine this morning!!:D

I have two so i'm not really worried about it for myself. I just find it very odd that a machine that is older tech, not that expensive to build and is selling like crazy gets overlooked by a company that's trying to get back into the thick of the gaming world. I mean it's the best weapon Nintendo has against MS and Sony and they are seemingly being casual about meeting demands.
Djammal86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Djammal86
Member since 2006 • 6088 Posts
I actually got mine, before the DS shortage started.
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts
I walked into Wal-Mart and got my DSL the day it launched. Usually the demand is higher when a system launches. I guess DSL is the excepetion.
ssc0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ssc0n
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts

More people are getting them for the upcoming games. It also depends on where you live.

raichu7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raichu7
Member since 2007 • 889 Posts
Nintendo was focusing so much on the Wii this holiday season that they forgot to bump production on the DS lite
scottie300z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 scottie300z
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
Maybe they dont want a rise in defects which is more likely to happen with a bump up in production. Im sure they didnt just forget.
Avatar image for psychojakrabbit
psychojakrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 psychojakrabbit
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts
Nintendo was focusing so much on the Wii this holiday season that they forgot to bump production on the DS literaichu7
You are correct sir!
speedracer216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 speedracer216
Member since 2006 • 310 Posts

More people are getting them for the upcoming games. It also depends on where you live.

ssc0n
true. i never paid much attention to it or though about getting one until Dragon Quest IX was announced. now i must have it! just goes to show the importance of amazing 3rd party support... and DQ!
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rgsniper1
Nintendo was focusing so much on the Wii this holiday season that they forgot to bump production on the DS literaichu7

Agreed, that's what I mentioned in my original post. The question is "how can they forget to bump something that is the best selling piece of gaming equipment they have?" I agree the wii has a part in it but i'm also thinking they make (or break even) with the DS moreso than the wii (although I'm pretty sure they make money on both sales).

I guess what I'm saying is this:
If wii were to fail nintendo would be ok because of how strong there handheld sales always are (ie DS).
If DS fails Nintendo has to put all there hope into a console that while selling good right now still has not stood the test of time for it's long term sales. DS has done this and still is selling at an amazing rate when you can actually find one.
Nintendo dropped the ball big time with the production of the DS.
_vacant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _vacant_
Member since 2006 • 835 Posts
I just mentioned this on the wii boards, but nintendo ships all their products by surface mail.  It is entirely possible that production isnt as bad as everyone says, rather there is a shipping bottleneck.  Just a thought...
rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rgsniper1
I just mentioned this on the wii boards, but nintendo ships all their products by surface mail. It is entirely possible that production isnt as bad as everyone says, rather there is a shipping bottleneck. Just a thought..._vacant_

They have been sold out since well before christmas in the states, how slow could the surface mail shipping be? Actually they have been pretty much sold out for easily at least 3 months.