This topic is locked from further discussion.

9CHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 9CHS
Member since 2007 • 283 Posts

ive got a HD TV hooked up to me wii and was just wondering is there any point buying the HDMI cable

has anyone tried it, does it make much difference and where can you get it cheapest

Shy-Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Shy-Link
Member since 2005 • 291 Posts

HDMI....What? The Wii doesn't have an HDMI out. What would be the point?

9CHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 9CHS

it does    not that the wii displays HD but its suposed to help the appearance

i saw it in the shops and in a nintendo mag

decrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 decrot
Member since 2003 • 137 Posts

the wii does not support HDMI, there might be a 3rd party seller that might make a converter from the wii out to hdmi (althought im not sure anyone makes it) but it would be pointless. you might be looking at the component cable for the wii.

anyways if you did see a hdmi cord for the wii it would be completely useless since the wii only supports up to 480p in which the component cables are be best option you can get.

9CHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 9CHS
whats the component cable like then
decrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 decrot
Member since 2003 • 137 Posts

the component cable is very good to get rid of the "jaggies" on your screen to create smoother edges. its recommeded you get this for your hdtv.

even though i didnt get the component cables, if i hook my wii up to my plasma it looks pretty ugly

the component cables are the red green blue ones and you can get it here

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Component-Video-Cable/dp/B000JJRV90/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-2274431-7862503?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1179342310&sr=8-1 

9CHS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 9CHS

thanks

the game mode on my tv makes the picture worse is this why

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

That poster is incorrect, the component cables DO NOT get rid of the "jagiies" they actually increase with it.

With the component cables you see the true image from the Wii and right now there's some "jaggies". THe cables enhance EVERYTHING, that means the bad's just as enhanced as the good.

They're still totally worth it but don't freak when you see that images are a bit rougher. 

alxbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 alxbly
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
^ True. The component cable makes the textures look very crisp, but rough edges still remain. It does nothing to the edges except define them a bit better (making 'jaggies' look slghtly worse). It's still worth getting because it really sharpens up the picture and makes the text in games clearer and easier to read.
jessiejames21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jessiejames21
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
yeah i got major jaggies with the component any body got any clue how to reduce them????????? it drives me crazy
alxbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 alxbly
Member since 2005 • 676 Posts
You can't reduce them unless you go with a poor quality cable which gives a poor picture. The only other way to reduce them would be if Nintendo made their games in HD and we know they've no intention to do that just yet. In any case, HD for Wii would mean the console would need to be redesigned to be capable of handling it.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jaysonguy

yeah i got major jaggies with the component any body got any clue how to reduce them????????? it drives me crazyjessiejames21

Nope, unless you don't want the true output of the Wii there's no way to soften them. 

fanboat4948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fanboat4948
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Anti-Aliasing softens them, haha. Too bad that requires more processing power... and code for anti-aliasing...
meplaywii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 meplaywii
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
In regards to jaysonguy... Not true, you have no idea what you are talking about! I have an hdtv and I have used my wii with and without the component cables. the image is much clearer and sharper with the component video than the standard av cables that come with the wii. Zelda looks amazing with the better picture, and the wii is actually capable of putting out a decent picture, even if it is not hi def, and the standard cables only make the picture blurrier (One thing to remember, you need to set the wii to use 480p output after you change cables, and that will setthe wii for optimum picture performance, otherwise you will not see much of a difference).
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jaysonguy

In regards to jaysonguy... Not true, you have no idea what you are talking about! I have an hdtv and I have used my wii with and without the component cables. the image is much clearer and sharper with the component video than the standard av cables that come with the wii. Zelda looks amazing with the better picture, and the wii is actually capable of putting out a decent picture, even if it is not hi def, and the standard cables only make the picture blurrier (One thing to remember, you need to set the wii to use 480p output after you change cables, and that will setthe wii for optimum picture performance, otherwise you will not see much of a difference).meplaywii

Ummm

OK, well this is going to be awkward yet fun lol

The guy said is the a way to reduce jaggies, I said no because the component cables sharpen the picture. You bump this thread to say I'm wrong because component cables sharpen the picture.

So I'm wrong and to tell me I'm wrong you point out that I'm right?

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts
like everyone else siad do not get HDMI. There is no point. I got the component cables as well, and there are actually an increased # of jaggies, but the pictuer is much more cleaner.
red_sovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 red_sovereign
Member since 2007 • 1936 Posts

i use s-video...looks great. not as sharp as the component cables but fewer jaggies.

looks stellar w/ okami!

findecano85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 findecano85
Member since 2004 • 168 Posts
I got this cable but for some reason, when I play any game, the sound stays at one level, no matter how high I increase the sound it's still very low sound... Can anyone explain why this happens?? I got a Kendo HDready lcd tv if thats any help..
jameslangford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jameslangford
Member since 2003 • 49 Posts
Since its not native, I would not buy any hokie cable that says its HDMi for the Wii. Just get the component cables. I use them at 480p and it does make a difference in sharpness.
DavidHiston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DavidHiston
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Hi, I did a search on Google and came across this thread. I too have been looking for a solution to get an HDMI output from my Nintendo Wii. Not because I expect a better quality of output, I know the best the Wii can do is 480p via component, but because my TV is wall mounted and I have fed 3 HDMI cables to it, but no component video cables. After a lot of research I ended up buying one from here http://www.cable-shop.co.uk/product.php/463/nintendo-wii-hdmi-converter-kit . Anyway, plugged it in last night and I can report it works really well! There's a noticeable improvement over the pre-supplied lead that comes with the Wii that I was temporarily using, and because I found this thread useful when I first started my search, I thought I'd share my feedback with everyone.