Great 2D platformers on the E shop??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16729 posts) -

Hey everyone I was wondering if there are any really great platformers on the E shop, either virtual console, or original, that are worth getting. I already have Wario Land 3 and SteamWorld Dig and I enjoy both the games. Any Metroidvania type games that are worth getting? Also, I saw a game called like Gunman Clive or something. It's a 2D side scroller about a cowboy. Worth playing or no? Basically, I'm looking for slightly less well known games. I already have all the Marios, Kirbys and stuff like that on other systems.

Also, on an unrelated note, I saw a game on there by Suda51 called Liberation Maiden. It looks pretty cool, but is it actually worth playing?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by Ovirew (6358 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer:

First and foremost, get Cave Story. If you are interested, I know you can actually get the game on PC for free and patch it with the English translation patch. But I liked the game so much that I had no problem spending $10 to get it on the 3DS... Twice. Interestingly, the entire game was made by one man - programming, graphics, music - everything - one guy. It would kind of fit the Metroid-vania itch you are looking to scratch, and it does have replayability and some challenge.

I actually got Gunman Clive. For the price, it's actually a pretty cool little game. You can actually unlock and play as other characters, but I have only played as Clive so far. Basically each level is a couple of screens long, and if you die you return to the first screen, but gameplay progress is saved automatically. You can shoot bullets with your gun, but you can also occasionally collect power-ups that do things like give you homing bullets. The graphics are really cool, and the 3D works pretty nice with the game. I can't say that it's the deepest or most entertaining game on the eShop, but as far as value for the price goes, it's a very nice choice.

Any of the Shantae games are great. The GBC original game is on virtual console, as well as the dsiware sequel Risky's Revenge. A brand new Shantae game called Pirate's Curse is supposed to be coming out soon. I the games you play as a half-genie girl named Shantae who can fight enemies with her magical whip-like ponytail, transform into different monsters, and perform magical dances. I think Shantae is a real hidden gem amongst modern sidescrolling platformers, and it kind of fits alongside Metroid-vania as well. I have played some of Risky's Revenge before and it was a lot of fun. Actually, maybe I'll go ahead and download it again sometime.

There are a few sidescrolling platformers on the eShop which received great reviews, but I never got the chance to play. The two that come to mind are Mutant Mudds and Mighty Switch Force. I tried a demo of Mutant Mudds and wasn't interested enough in it to buy the game, but it seems alright - you play as this geeky kid with glasses and you can jump between the foreground and background kind of like in Shantae. I have yet to play Mighty Switch Force, but it seems like a crazy fun game where you play as this futuristic female officer, and there are lots of other girls she has to rescue or something? Idk, I'm not sure I even understand what's going on, but it looks like it could be another worthy platformer. There is a second MSF, and a spin-off or two.

I could even recommend some other games. There's at least one Mario VS Donkey Kong game on the eShop, and those are kind of fun - it's like Lemmings except with wind-up Mario toys. Dillon's Rolling Western is pretty cool, it's a timed action-tower defense game. There is also a sequel. I hope Dillon is in the new Smash Bros., he really should be. And a lot of people liked Pushmo and sequel Crashmo.

I hope you find something there you can play!

#3 Posted by KBFloYd (13514 posts) -

nes remix on wiiu has a lot of platformer challenges.

#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16729 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

@turtlethetaffer:

First and foremost, get Cave Story. If you are interested, I know you can actually get the game on PC for free and patch it with the English translation patch. But I liked the game so much that I had no problem spending $10 to get it on the 3DS... Twice. Interestingly, the entire game was made by one man - programming, graphics, music - everything - one guy. It would kind of fit the Metroid-vania itch you are looking to scratch, and it does have replayability and some challenge.

I actually got Gunman Clive. For the price, it's actually a pretty cool little game. You can actually unlock and play as other characters, but I have only played as Clive so far. Basically each level is a couple of screens long, and if you die you return to the first screen, but gameplay progress is saved automatically. You can shoot bullets with your gun, but you can also occasionally collect power-ups that do things like give you homing bullets. The graphics are really cool, and the 3D works pretty nice with the game. I can't say that it's the deepest or most entertaining game on the eShop, but as far as value for the price goes, it's a very nice choice.

Any of the Shantae games are great. The GBC original game is on virtual console, as well as the dsiware sequel Risky's Revenge. A brand new Shantae game called Pirate's Curse is supposed to be coming out soon. I the games you play as a half-genie girl named Shantae who can fight enemies with her magical whip-like ponytail, transform into different monsters, and perform magical dances. I think Shantae is a real hidden gem amongst modern sidescrolling platformers, and it kind of fits alongside Metroid-vania as well. I have played some of Risky's Revenge before and it was a lot of fun. Actually, maybe I'll go ahead and download it again sometime.

There are a few sidescrolling platformers on the eShop which received great reviews, but I never got the chance to play. The two that come to mind are Mutant Mudds and Mighty Switch Force. I tried a demo of Mutant Mudds and wasn't interested enough in it to buy the game, but it seems alright - you play as this geeky kid with glasses and you can jump between the foreground and background kind of like in Shantae. I have yet to play Mighty Switch Force, but it seems like a crazy fun game where you play as this futuristic female officer, and there are lots of other girls she has to rescue or something? Idk, I'm not sure I even understand what's going on, but it looks like it could be another worthy platformer. There is a second MSF, and a spin-off or two.

I could even recommend some other games. There's at least one Mario VS Donkey Kong game on the eShop, and those are kind of fun - it's like Lemmings except with wind-up Mario toys. Dillon's Rolling Western is pretty cool, it's a timed action-tower defense game. There is also a sequel. I hope Dillon is in the new Smash Bros., he really should be. And a lot of people liked Pushmo and sequel Crashmo.

I hope you find something there you can play!

Thank you for the replies! I'll definitely check out Shantae and Gunman Clive. Both seem pretty cool. Also, I've already played Cave Story :P