This topic is locked from further discussion.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Anyone here still hoping and waiting for the sequel to Dark Dawn? It's been like what, 4 years since the last Golden Sun game.

I honestly didn't like Dark Dawn that much. The story isn't that much compelling compared to the first two and there's little improvement on the combat department(offensive pysnergy still sucks) but wouldn't mind playing it's sequel just for closure. I mean, it has a cliffhanger ending that it needs to have a sequel, right?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Ending with a cliff hanger does mean a sequel was in mind, but considering how poorly it sold, the chances of another being released it pretty low.

The fact that it did not reach expectations also did not help it gain sales or popularity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'd agree that I was a little disappointed with the game. I mean, it was fun enough that I played through most of it, but it just didn't feel like the sequel Golden Sun 1 & 2 deserved. Especially after waiting for so many years for a sequel. But I'm happy it got something, and wasn't forgotten completely.

I think the biggest problem was that the story jumped ahead several years and starred new protagonists. Granted, it was cool seeing which characters became couples and had children, like Isaac and Jenna. It's just that so much could have happened to Isaac and his friends between all of that time, there could have been lots of adventures following the Golden Sun event, but now this new story is part of the continuity.

I think there will eventually be another Golden Sun one day, maybe even on the console. But who knows how long it'll be til then?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I still need to play all those games. They look neat.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Yep I am.

@BrunoBRS

Should be as well.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gba1989

@Ovirew just didn't like the whole story. Seeing Isaac and Garet again was great but they could've at least shown Jenna too.

@ANIMEguy10034 yeah, it's kinda sad. But still am waiting.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@Ovirew said:

I'd agree that I was a little disappointed with the game. I mean, it was fun enough that I played through most of it, but it just didn't feel like the sequel Golden Sun 1 & 2 deserved. Especially after waiting for so many years for a sequel. But I'm happy it got something, and wasn't forgotten completely.

I think the biggest problem was that the story jumped ahead several years and starred new protagonists. Granted, it was cool seeing which characters became couples and had children, like Isaac and Jenna. It's just that so much could have happened to Isaac and his friends between all of that time, there could have been lots of adventures following the Golden Sun event, but now this new story is part of the continuity.

I think there will eventually be another Golden Sun one day, maybe even on the console. But who knows how long it'll be til then?

My biggest gripe with Golden Sun isn't just the story, it was the fact that many areas become inaccessible after getting to certain points of the story making it possible for you to completely miss out on obtaining Djinni's and other events. The game was big, but it felt pretty damn smaller in scale compared to the previous Golden Sun's when you subtract those "point of no returns". Going back to the story, it would've been nice if Garet and Isaac were slightly more involved in the adventure. Maybe have them pop up every now and then to talk about what they've been up to after the Golden Sun crisis. It's like they made a cameo appearance and that was it...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

@nini200 said:

Yep I am.

@BrunoBRS

Should be as well.

seems i have been summoned to this thread. sounds like people haven't forgotten about me :P

yes, i'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat. dark dawn was a bit too much on the easy side (at least as far as combat went), and the original plot point is abandoned within minutes of playing through it (only to be recapped at the post credits scene), and the game suffered from lack of music/combat/enemy variety once the actual dark dawn got started, but it was still a solid game.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@BrunoBRS said:

@nini200 said:

Yep I am.

@BrunoBRS

Should be as well.

seems i have been summoned to this thread. sounds like people haven't forgotten about me :P

yes, i'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat. dark dawn was a bit too much on the easy side (at least as far as combat went), and the original plot point is abandoned within minutes of playing through it (only to be recapped at the post credits scene), and the game suffered from lack of music/combat/enemy variety once the actual dark dawn got started, but it was still a solid game.

I surely ain't forgot about Mr. Rio himself. How could I? I mean, heck, I summoned you lol

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gba1989

@tocool340 said:

@Ovirew said:

My biggest gripe with Golden Sun isn't just the story, it was the fact that many areas become inaccessible after getting to certain points of the story making it possible for you to completely miss out on obtaining Djinni's and other events. The game was big, but it felt pretty damn smaller in scale compared to the previous Golden Sun's when you subtract those "point of no returns". Going back to the story, it would've been nice if Garet and Isaac were slightly more involved in the adventure. Maybe have them pop up every now and then to talk about what they've been up to after the Golden Sun crisis. It's like they made a cameo appearance and that was it...

Yes, I agree with this. Piers was also mentioned but didn't show up. And Jenna, where the hell was she?

I know that having cameo appearances isn't what the games should focus on but if Dark Dawn shoudl've at least give old characters a decent amount of screen time(maybe a solid character interaction here and there) it would've add credence to the story - which was sadly lacking.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

A sequel would be welcome indeed. Perhaps Nintendo'll do the opposite of what they did with Paper Mario and bring this normally portable-only franchise to its home console (teh Wii U). Doing so, along with eventually bringing the 2nd and 3rd entries to the series onto the Wii U VC, would be pretty nice for newcomers to the series.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

I'm not really looking forward to a sequel because Dark Dawn was such a huge disappointment. It was the perfect time to wrap up the series as a trilogy with an exciting conclusion, but Camelot totally squandered that opportunity.

I was in it for the story, but they ruined that, so I'd only be excited about a sequel if the gameplay is changed up enough to be compelling on its own.

Napajeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Napajeni
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Most have moved on and forgotten this little franchise that could, thanks to the blunder that Dark Dawn is. There's a new generation of games and new and much better RPGs, etc. I doubt anyone is waiting around to whisper a prayer to "The Wise One" for another one of these. Let's take a gander at why no one is bothering wasting even a thought on this, given my summation of what Dark Dawn is:

butchered story - The way they screwed the whole flow of the story up by butchering it with a stupid feather fetch quest says it all.

"Hey guys, let's find out what's going on around Weyard with the whole Mourning Moon incident pending for a return, psynergy vortexes, etc. Oh wait; in the very beginning of the game, baby sitting goes horribly awry with the token dumb ass character of the game; so, you're instead propelled into a needless feather fetch quest where you end up screwing up the world even more. We'll cue the real issues at the very end that we conveniently forgot about in the first ten minutes of the game for dramatic effect."

idiot-friendly campaign - Dumbing down the difficulty to door knob level wasn't a wise choice either, so to speak. The other games were already fairly easy; did they really have to turn this into yet another button masher? Let's also neglect the fact that your characters get incredibly overpowered from the damn start of the game. This could've used some streamlining. Nothing is worse than playing yet another "idiot-friendly" game because the developers don't trust you on an intellectual level when playing their game(s). There are some gamers out there willing to use their head and skill, Camelot.

long winded and nonsensical dialogue - Making the trademark banter sessions of Golden Sun even more long winded and nonsensical when the point could've been made in just one or two sentences is yet another horrid design of this game. I guess they thought gamers loved to hear these already idiotic and underdeveloped characters bitch, moan, and ramble on with little to NOTHING of value 99% of the time. Oh yeah - everyone just HAD TO HAVE THEIR SAY, no matter how utterly pointless, fruitless, and redundant it would be:

Kraden: "Rief has gone missing!"

Nowell: "Rief is gone!"

I rest my case with this point.

garbage character development at best - My, my, are these some of the dumbest characters ever "developed". It's one thing to be manipulated; it's a whole new ball park of absolute stupidity when you KNOW you're being strung along, yet, play the puppet wholeheartedly anyway. That's the underlying basis of this game's "characters"; I use that term loosely. Other than that, none of them are any kind of interesting or likeable. Most just simply have generic, annoying, and bland personalities. Oh yeah, and there's Kraden.

nothing is resolved or properly approached - Due to the cliffhanger and butchered story where you instead run amuck plucking feathers, none of the real issues have ever been approached; you simply mumble about them every now and then, all the while dicking around with your feather plucking, local lore, and putting your hands on machines you shouldn't even be touching and unearthing. What good is a game, let alone an RPG, with an unfulfilled purpose in its story? At least take drastic steps to get closer to some kind of investigation on the matter.

Eh, it's just my little rant about the dire crap that Dark Dawn is; it seems they rewound their brains back to the stone age with this, their "My First RPG" game. Barely anything in this game had any real thought or appeal emanating from it; even worse is a dangling cliffhanger just praying to be saved from its depths. In light of this, who'd even care or think to consider another Golden Sun game?

Camelot ran out of fuel a long time ago with the superior GBA entries. They simply had no real direction, or a GPS for that matter with this thing. They just abysmally and lazily tried some shit here and there with this game and failed miserably doing so. I say let the franchise, as much as I loved it, thought it could do much better, and last much longer than this, die. This game, aptly named, was a huge turning point for the franchise in the worst way imaginable.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
@Napajeni said:

Most have moved on and forgotten this little franchise that could, thanks to the blunder that Dark Dawn is. There's a new generation of games and new and much better RPGs, etc. I doubt anyone is waiting around to whisper a prayer to "The Wise One" for another one of these. Let's take a gander at why no one is bothering wasting even a thought on this, given my summation of what Dark Dawn is:

butchered story - The way they screwed the whole flow of the story up by butchering it with a stupid feather fetch quest says it all.

"Hey guys, let's find out what's going on around Weyard with the whole Mourning Moon incident pending for a return, psynergy vortexes, etc. Oh wait; in the very beginning of the game, baby sitting goes horribly awry with the token dumb ass character of the game; so, you're instead propelled into a needless feather fetch quest where you end up screwing up the world even more. We'll cue the real issues at the very end that we conveniently forgot about in the first ten minutes of the game for dramatic effect."

idiot-friendly campaign - Dumbing down the difficulty to door knob level wasn't a wise choice either, so to speak. The other games were already fairly easy; did they really have to turn this into yet another button masher? Let's also neglect the fact that your characters get incredibly overpowered from the damn start of the game. This could've used some streamlining. Nothing is worse than playing yet another "idiot-friendly" game because the developers don't trust you on an intellectual level when playing their game(s). There are some gamers out there willing to use their head and skill, Camelot.

long winded and nonsensical dialogue - Making the trademark banter sessions of Golden Sun even more long winded and nonsensical when the point could've been made in just one or two sentences is yet another horrid design of this game. I guess they thought gamers loved to hear these already idiotic and underdeveloped characters bitch, moan, and ramble on with little to NOTHING of value 99% of the time. Oh yeah - everyone just HAD TO HAVE THEIR SAY, no matter how utterly pointless, fruitless, and redundant it would be:

Kraden: "Rief has gone missing!"

Nowell: "Rief is gone!"

I rest my case.

garbage character development at best - My, my, are these some of the dumbest characters ever "developed". It's one thing to be manipulated; it's a whole new ball park of absolute stupidity when you KNOW you're being strung along, yet, play the puppet wholeheartedly anyway. That's the underlying basis of this game's "characters"; I use that term loosely. Other than that, none of them are any kind of interesting or likeable. Most just simply have generic, annoying, and bland personalities. Oh yeah, and there's Kraden.

nothing is resolved or properly approached - Due to the cliffhanger and butchered story where you instead run amuck plucking feathers, none of the real issues have ever been approached; you simply mumble about them every now and then, all the while dicking around with your feather plucking, local lore, and putting your hands on machines you shouldn't even be touching and unearthing. What good is a game, let alone an RPG, with an unfulfilled purpose in its story? At least take drastic steps to get closer to some kind of investigation on the matter.

Eh, it's just my little rant about the dire crap that Dark Dawn is; it seems they rewound their brains back to the stone age with this, their "My First RPG" game. Nothing here had any real thought or appeal emanating from it; even worse is a dangling cliffhanger just praying to be saved from its depths. In light of this, who'd even care or think to consider another Golden Sun game? Camelot ran out of fuel a long time ago with the superior GBA entries. They simply had no real direction, or a GPS for that matter with this thing. They just abysmally and lazily tried some shit and failed miserably at it. I say let the franchise, as much as I loved it, thought it could do much better, and last much longer than this, die. This game, as its name implies, was a huge turning point for the franchise in the worst way imaginable.

Yes! This!

And don't get me wrong, I actually LIKED Dark Dawn. I just thought it could have been so much damn better than how it turned out....

smitherton4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By smitherton4
Member since 2014 • 67 Posts

I'm hoping Camelot returns to Shining Force one of these days.