Getting a 3ds, whats the best buy and what games to get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for scouttrooperbob
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 scouttrooperbob
Member since 2008 • 2439 Posts

Im looking into two bundles, one is the fire emblem bundle (dont know anything about fire emblem).

Also looking into the mario cart 7 3dsxl bundle if I can find it.

Im also looking at a used system, but I always like to lean for new when I buy from a retailer.

I will defenatly be getting resident evil: revelations.

I have a few other games that I want, such as pokemon, metal gear, and splintercell. But I would like to know of any DS/ 3DS games that are best. I used to have an original DS and this will be my first new nintindo handheld in about 7 years, So Im a little out of date...

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 scouttrooperbob

Im looking into two bundles, one is the fire emblem bundle (dont know anything about fire emblem).

Also looking into the mario cart 7 3dsxl bundle if I can find it.

Im also looking at a used system, but I always like to lean for new when I buy from a retailer.

I will defenatly be getting resident evil: revelations.

I have a few other games that I want, such as pokemon, metal gear, and splintercell. But I would like to know of any DS/ 3DS games that are best. I used to have an original DS and this will be my first new nintindo handheld in about 7 years, So Im a little out of date...

scouttrooperbob

Oh also should I get XL or Standard.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if you want the strongest 3d with the sharpest visuals...the standard is best....however it is a much smaller screen and much less comfortable...

the xl is mainly for comfort and larger screen in case you dont like looking at small screens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Fire Emblem is a Strategy RPG. Probably one of the best 3DS games avalible, and lasts around 50 hours for a first playthrough. Other great games are Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D land and Kid Icarus Uprising. Kid Icarus in particular is a must buy. Splinter cell is apparently a horrible port and should be avoided. MGS much less so, in all respects a good game. There are better ways to play it, like the HD collection, but if you don't have acsess to any of the systems they appear on, than MGS3D will do fine. Pokemon isn't out untill October, and honestly you could probably pass on Black/white, maybe play HG/SS if you enjoyed the original second generation games.
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 scouttrooperbob

Fire Emblem is a Strategy RPG. Probably one of the best 3DS games avalible, and lasts around 50 hours for a first playthrough. Other great games are Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D land and Kid Icarus Uprising. Kid Icarus in particular is a must buy. Splinter cell is apparently a horrible port and should be avoided. MGS much less so, in all respects a good game. There are better ways to play it, like the HD collection, but if you don't have acsess to any of the systems they appear on, than MGS3D will do fine. Pokemon isn't out untill October, and honestly you could probably pass on Black/white, maybe play HG/SS if you enjoyed the original second generation games.darkspineslayer

Id only get splinter cell because im a fan. Im sure it has issues on a handheld.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
My recommended games (in no particular order): Super Mario 3D Land Fire Emblem Awakening Tales of the Abyss Mario Kart 7 LoZ OoT Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (cheap and really fun) I've also heard good things about Kid Icarus and Resident Evil Revelations but I haven't played either of them.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#7 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

My favorite game and biggest surprise is Pushmo. It's a puzzle game on Nintendo's eShop. Like 1/4 of the price of a regular game, but ten times more awesome.

I also think Mario Kart 7 is good although I liked Mario Kart DS considerably more.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts
Sadly everyone forgets Layton for some reason.. If you like adventure/puzzle games with a light hearted and well presented story then you cant go wrong with layton and the miracle mask.. you will also be able to get the older DS layton games used dirt cheap..
scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scouttrooperbob

well i got a used one that was in like new condition from gamstop. Didnt realize it till i got home, but it doesnt have an sd card. Im a little pissed because Ive read a new console comes with a 2 gig sd card. I specifically asked them what the difference between new and used was and that was a big detail t leave out. May go back and return it for a new one. Am I going to need an SD card Asap? The only 3ds game I have atm is resident evil revelations.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

If you get a bundle get the Mario Kart one for sure.  Say you go somewhere but do not have other games on hand and you find another person with a 3DS, chances are they would have Mario Kart for multiplayer.  Well SD cards are not MANDATORY since the games are saved on carts but you will want to have one.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 scouttrooperbob

If you get a bundle get the Mario Kart one for sure. Say you go somewhere but do not have other games on hand and you find another person with a 3DS, chances are they would have Mario Kart for multiplayer. Well SD cards are not MANDATORY since the games are saved on carts but you will want to have one.

Sora278

good to know!

I would have jumped on the mario cart bundle if I saw it. Good to know about the SD card. Might have one laying around some where. I might look for a cheap 16 gig as well.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sora278

Yeah SD cards are mostly for demos, streetpass, spotpass, etc.

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Sora278
Or you can buy full retail games and download them. I have a 32gig SD card just for that. 12 titles downloaded 9 of them retail games.
Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sora278

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

Moloch121

Or you can buy full retail games and download them. I have a 32gig SD card just for that. 12 titles downloaded 9 of them retail games.

True but I advise against that until there is a system to keep the games in case you lose the 3DS or at least the price is lower...

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Fire Emblem Awakening Super Mario 3D Land Kid Icarus Uprising Mario Kart 7 The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Woe2spread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Woe2spread
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts

ikachan is a good fish story for only five bucks. its somewhat in 3d I guess. there is a bunch of old zeldas to play on eshop too. most for five bucks. all first five megaman will be there shortly too. only got one and two so far tho. the 3ds is actually one of the most enjoyable experiances on any handheld I have with every game I play . monster hunter 3 ultimate looks fantastic on it. bar none. that comes next march 19. really easy for the first 25 hours but after that you fight tougher monsters with different abilities. but it eases you into the game and there is over literally 1000 hours if not more if you are new to the series. I can get at least 100 hours out of the first 25. and I will cus I like to farm lol. even the Mario tennis game looks like fun. fire emblem better then ff tactics on psp. great game and graphics. cool story too. and all the first gen games are actually hella decent. like just decent enough to play and cheap enough to get on cartridge. this is my 2 cents and yes all the Mario games are ok. and luigi if you get that and mansion game: you can get a free game if you sign up for Nintendo and use the bar codes to join. you will get a free game out of five decent games. look up Nintendo.com for more info on it. enjoy! get the xl. red one cus the red xl can be sold back to amazon for 177$. idk why thats the only one that is at that price but ya. incase you dont like the 3ds or something.

scouttrooperbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 scouttrooperbob

So I got a standard 3ds used in Like new condition at gamestop. I got an 8 gig memory card, resedent evil revelations and pokemon white. I was considering Fire emblem awakening because the demo was fun and its getting really good reception. I was also considering Mario 3d land, super street fighter IV, and MArio cart 7. Are there any other 3ds games that are must haves, or regular ds must haves?

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

So I got a standard 3ds used in Like new condition at gamestop. I got an 8 gig memory card, resedent evil revelations and pokemon white. I was considering Fire emblem awakening because the demo was fun and its getting really good reception. I was also considering Mario 3d land, super street fighter IV, and MArio cart 7. Are there any other 3ds games that are must haves, or regular ds must haves?

scouttrooperbob

Must haves will vary from person to person. I'd say Tales of the Abyss 3DS and Ocarina of Time 3DS are must haves along with those games you mentioned.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sora278

Must have DS/3DS games?  Wow that is one loooooooooong list.  I will start with DS.

DS: The World Ends With You, Time Hollow, Suikoden Tierkreis, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, FF III, FF IV, SMT Strange Journey and Devil Survivor, Mario 64 DS, Advance Wars Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin I did not like Order of Eclesia, Wario Ware Touched, Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros, entire Phoenix Wright series, entire Professor Layton series, Trauma Centre 1 and 2, Resident Evil Deadly Silence, Lock's Quest, Chrono Trigger, entire Etrian Odyssey series, Kingdom Hears 358/2, Ninja Gaiden, Ultimate Mortal Kombat, most Pokemon games, Knights in the Nightmare, Disgaea, Dragon Quest series if you are into it I thought Joker was great, Lunar Knights, Hotel Dusk Room 215, 999, and Metroid Prime Hunters.

3DS: Kid Icarus Uprising!!!, Fire Emblem Awakening, Legend of Zelda Ocraina of Time, Star Fox 64 3DS, Resident Evil Revelations, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Etrian Odyssey IV, Final Fantasy Theatrythm, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Tales of the Abyss, Metal Gear Solid 3DS if you get a CPP, Zero Escape, Rythm Thief, and Code of Princess.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Kid Icarus is my favorite 3DS game so far. I would recommend Resident Evil Revelations, but it's coming to all the main consoles in HD.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#21 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
Fire Emblem: Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Mario Kart 7. If you're interested in remakes, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D as well.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#22 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

My Top 5 must have Picks would be

1. Fire Emblem Awakening
  2. Mario Kart 7
  3. Resident Evil Revelations