Gamecube games on the Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for nintendo_fan135
nintendo_fan135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 nintendo_fan135
Member since 2007 • 409 Posts
Does playing Gamecube games on a Wii improve the framerates just like playing PS2 games on a PS3?
chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

Some games have this. I know that Super Smash bros Melee and Metroid Prime have smoother framerates than they had on GameCube.

rjs927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 rjs927
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts
I never bothered to get component cables for my GC because I didn't get an HDTV until after I had a Wii so whenever I play a GC game on Wii it is in progressive scan mode. I didn't notice much of a difference when I played the GC games on Wii when I had it hooked up with A/V cables though.
Crisis_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Crisis_Eye
Member since 2006 • 1554 Posts
Not sure.. All I know from my own expierience is that the Gamecube games look better and are sharper looking with better color.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

No.

The Wii "becomes" a Gamecube when you play Gamecube games. You get the same result when playing them. SOme people say they look a little brighter but many of those people are also getting the component cables so there's the reason there.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#6 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
They play exactly the same. The only thing I noticed different is that some of the games seemed to have had faster load times. And I could be wrong.
movin_target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 movin_target
Member since 2005 • 3412 Posts
MGS and Splinter Cell seem like they run at 60 fps at moments....
But I dont know if they ran like that on the gamecube
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#8 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
MGS did. I don't really like Splinter Cell and I never played the Gamecube ones, So I dunno about that game.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
They are exactly the same. The only difference would be if you're playing in 480p and didn't on the GC.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

They are exactly the same. The only difference would be if you're playing in 480p and didn't on the GC.Rocky32189

Which I imagine would be the case for a lot of people, since Nintendo removed component output on the later models.

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11925 Posts
I haven't noticed any improvements.
LOLhahaDEAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 LOLhahaDEAD
Member since 2006 • 4431 Posts

No.

The Wii "becomes" a Gamecube when you play Gamecube games. You get the same result when playing them. SOme people say they look a little brighter but many of those people are also getting the component cables so there's the reason there.

Jaysonguy

I agree. It seems like it actually does become a GC because if you try to press the Home button the Wii Remote it does nothing.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
I really wish you could use the classac controller on GC games. Does anyone know if a patch would be possible?
Sants412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sants412
Member since 2007 • 5599 Posts
I didn't notice a change whatsoever.
bofe1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 bofe1234
Member since 2005 • 3046 Posts
The Framerate isn't determined by the hardware its determined how the game was made. So if it chugs on GC it will chug on Wii. So basically what Jasonguy said.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

I really wish you could use the classac controller on GC games. Does anyone know if a patch would be possible?goblaa

Most likely no. As Jasonguy pointed out, the Wii basically becomes a GCN when playing GCN games. The Gamecube didn't have bluetooth, so it can't connect with the Wiimote.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Some games have this. I know that Super Smash bros Melee and Metroid Prime have smoother framerates than they had on GameCube.

chris3116
How do you know? Do you have a link? I may try this...I actually still have my gamecube out just because...
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

chris3116
How do you know? Do you have a link? I may try this...I actually still have my gamecube out just because...
dbkelley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dbkelley
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

The Framerate isn't determined by the hardware its determined how the game was made. So if it chugs on GC it will chug on Wii. So basically what Jasonguy said.bofe1234

Actually that's not true. I just signed up to correct this on a year old post LoL, I'm sad eh? Anyway, speaking as a developer, the framerate is generally decided by the game doing it's 3d math, logic, sound calls and so on, and then trying to do it again as soon as possible. AND THEN the maximum framerate is based upon how fast the hardware can render all of those things it was just asked to do. Most well coded 3d stuff will take advantage of faster graphics hardware and cpu hardware, so I disagree with the original poster's information (sorry!).

This is obviously oversimplified... but when it comes to the display of the graphics (at least when it comes to 3d stuff), the graphics hardware takes the polygon data it's given by the game and tries to draw it as fast as possibly while applying whatever requested effects that it's been told to generate as well. If the graphics card (and cpu for that matter) do these calculations faster, the game will run at a higher FPS without affecting actual time-based events at all (if the game was correctly coded, which 99% are since that's a standard part of making 3d games).

This is why upgrading your graphics card on a pc will give you better fps in a game (same goes for the cpu and so forth).

as long as nintendo didn't do something bizarre in the wii (for the sake of 100% compatibility) like install the old graphics card from the gamecube in there AS WELL AS the upgraded wii graphics card, then really the gamecube 3d games should actually have higher frame rates than they did on the gamecube as long as the throttling factor in that game was always the game's hardware (which it ought to be unless the game had inefficient calculations going on), and as long as the newer wii graphics card can render faster some of the stuff that was slowing down the older one for a given game.

Also, in theory, things that are rendered purely by the graphics card, which could be particle effects, glows, reflections, shadows, textures, all depends on what the original gamecube graphics card was capable of, anything like that could be better on the wii if both cards offered those features and those hardware features were used by the game and that hardware feature is better executed on the newer wii graphics card.

I'm not sure how much difference there is in the graphics capabilities of the two units, I know they're very similar overall other than cpu speed but I believe there are at least SOME improvements to the graphics chip(s) as well.

PS - please read "chip" where ever I said "card", there are no "cards" in the gamecube or wii, just chips.

Been talking to pc guys all day, now my brain hurts... Cheers

Negemite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Negemite
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
I've been playing Gamecube Games on my Wii for about a year and I don't notice the differnce. Oh well!
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
[QUOTE="chris3116"]

ice_radon

You know what a good test would be? Playing the final boss board in SMS. That thing kills the framerate on the GC, and I think it ran a bit better on the Wii, but it could just be I was a better player the second time around.

One thing I DID notice and I know for a fact is the GC games DO appear sharper on my Wii than GC. When I got the Wii, I was playing Baiton Kaitos on the GC ( a highy graphic detailed game). Backgrounds were MUCh sharper.

I don't have component cables either. Nintendo did change the technology a little bit because on the GC, you could use the same connector as an N64 (and Vice Versa, so I'm told). However, on the Wii, they are no longer interchangable, meaning they changed this piece of equipment. So my guess is this is way the picture is a little sharper and a little more vibrant.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
I think it's just a psychological thing. Hey I'm playing a GC game on my Wii so you think it looks better.
Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Gamecube games on the Wii look and play exactly as they did on the Cube.