Gamecube Adapter Disappointment.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

Hey guys.

So, as we know, Nintendo has offered us the chance to purchase a gamecube controller adapter along with Super Smash Bros. I will definitely be getting it because I already have old gamecube controllers and therefore it won't cost that much money. Super Smash Bros. works wonderfully with that controller, after all. However, Nintendo isn't just releasing an adapter, they are also manufacturing new ones! Cool! So, what improvements did they bring to it? Nothing! Nothing at all. It is literally the exact same controller that came out in 2001-2002. Which begs the question: why bother? I mean there are some of us who already own a coupe of controllers from back in the gamecube days, and the adapter is therefore no problem for us, but for those who don't, I really don't seem them forking out a hundred dollars for a couple of controllers that will only work on one game. That is just a rip-off. The only thing that could justify it is if Nintendo began releasing gamecube games to virtual consoles, and not just a few like they did with the Nintendo 64 on the Wii, but many. I doubt this will happen, but I have my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I don't get why they didn't make any improvements. I wish they didn't manufacture the exact same controller from 2001. Sure, it looks and feels great, but it's outdated. Really, it is. The c-stick is a horrible excuse for an analogue stick, and it has one less shoulder button then it should. That's all they needed to do. Make the c-stick the same as every other right analogue stick, rename the z button to L and add an R button, renaming the old R's and L's, XR/XL. Then they should have added the wii home button and the +/-. Done... instead we get this. If you don't have a gamecube, don't bother wasting your money.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I never thought it was something it isn't, so I'm not dissapointed. I'm not sure if I need the thing, though.. The game is playable on 3DS and the Pro Controller is way more comfortable than the 3DS, so I think I'll manage without GC controllers..

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Who cares?

If you already own a GC controller, then don't buy it. If you don't have a GC controller, and you used to love to play Smash using it? Then buy it.

This is primarily releasing as a Smash controller. The design of the controller a lot of people say is nicely made for Smash Bros. (that includes the nubular c-stick, easy for flicking for Smash attacks). Modifying the controller is just potentially ruining the controller. People like it the way it is. It is a Smash controller.

Personally, I already own GC controllers. So I don't need to bother. But I can say that if I didn't have my GC controllers, then I'd definitely buy this.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By simuseb2

@trugs26 said:

Who cares?

If you already own a GC controller, then don't buy it. If you don't have a GC controller, and you used to love to play Smash using it? Then buy it.

This is primarily releasing as a Smash controller. The design of the controller a lot of people say is nicely made for Smash Bros. (that includes the nubular c-stick, easy for flicking for Smash attacks). Modifying the controller is just potentially ruining the controller. People like it the way it is. It is a Smash controller.

Personally, I already own GC controllers. So I don't need to bother. But I can say that if I didn't have my GC controllers, then I'd definitely buy this.

Its nice that they released the controller for the purpose of Super Smash Bros. as it work extremely well with that game. I fail to see how making the sticks clickable and adding a second shoulder button would ruin it. The only thing that could potentially change the dynamic of the controller is if they made that atrocious c-stick either a little bigger or a proper stick itself. Personally, I think it would be fine, but it's also not a necessary change either. Even if it kept its size and shape the controller overall can still be used to substitute the Wii U Controller Pro which is exactly what I wish it was.

Look at it this way. (I'll use NA prices for this)

You are spending $100 for the game, controller and adapter. That's $40 extra money. Next, remembering that Super Smash Bros. has always had a big emphasis on local play, you'll probably wanna buy three extra controllers $30 each. Times that by three and that's $90 extra. $90 + $40 = $130 extra! So, altogether you will have spent $190 for one game. Oh, you wanna play Nintendo Land as well? Then you need to buy three extra remotes. Oh, you wanna play a multi-player game that doesn't focus on motion controls? In that case, you also have to buy three Wii U Controller Pros. It adds up.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@simuseb2 said:

@trugs26 said:

Who cares?

Its nice that they released the controller for the purpose of Super Smash Bros. as it work extremely well with that game. I fail to see how making the sticks clickable and adding a second shoulder button would ruin it. The only thing that could potentially change the dynamic of the controller is if they made that atrocious c-stick either a little bigger or a proper stick itself. Personally, I think it would be fine, but it's also not a necessary change either. Even if it kept its size and shape the controller overall can still be used to substitute the Wii U Controller Pro which is exactly what I wish it was.

Look at it this way. (I'll use NA prices for this)

You are spending $100 for the game, controller and adapter. That's $40 extra money. Next, remembering that Super Smash Bros. has always had a big emphasis on local play, you'll probably wanna buy three extra controllers $30 each. Times that by three and that's $90 extra. $90 + $40 = $130 extra! So, altogether you will have spent $190 for one game. Oh, you wanna play Nintendo Land as well? Than you need to buy three extra remotes. Oh, you wanna play a multi-player game that doesn't focus on motion controls? In that case, you also have to buy three Wii U Controller Pros. It adds up.

Its why Nintendo includes support for almost every configuration they offer. But this time its not Nintendo's fault that this is happening. Nintendo was actually trying to move away from the GameCube. But fans begged and begged for Gamecube controller support. Then when they caved and offered a option for it people are happy as can be. If you're not interested in the peripheral (I'm passing this time and focusing on 3rd party games this holiday season and skipping smash altogether) then don't buy it. I plan on using either the pro controller or the classic controller pro when I eventually get it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Its for Smash fanatics (those that cannot play Smash on any other controller so they claim) nothing more. Nintendo is not suddenly gonna reprogram/repatch all their games to work with GC controller .if you think there was anything more to it that's your problem. GC controller was bad imo, I never like it. I will be playing Smash on gamepad or the pro controller. :P

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'm disappointed sure. I was hoping to use a gamecube controller to play Wind Waker HD because it didn't feel right with the GamePad.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I would have loved it if Nintendo released a GCN-style Wii U Pro, with the extra ZL/ZR buttons. It'd work for Smash AND for every other game that uses the Wii U Pro.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By simuseb2

@superbuuman said:

Its for Smash fanatics (those that cannot play Smash on any other controller so they claim) nothing more. Nintendo is not suddenly gonna reprogram/repatch all their games to work with GC controller .if you think there was anything more to it that's your problem. GC controller was bad imo, I never like it. I will be playing Smash on gamepad or the pro controller. :P

I didn't think there was anything more to it, I'm disappointed that there wasn't. Basically, what I wish Nintendo had done is release a Wii U Pro controller controller with the shape and feel of a Gamecube Controller... something like this, basically. That way people would be able to use their new controller with not just one game, but every game that supports the Wii U Pro Controller.

This got my hopes up... but then i realized it only replaced the Wii Controller Pro, not the Wii U Pro Controller :(

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

@superbuuman: The hope was that you'd be able to use it in any Wii game that could use GCN controllers, such as Brawl, and in virtual console titles (then one day GCN VC titles). They wouldn't need to reprogram games at all. All they'd need to do is have the adapter "translate" the signals into U Pro controller signals. An added shoulder button would have helped too, but it could've gone without.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#11 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If they modified it, it wouldn't be the Gamecube controller. I agree that the design has its flaws, though. What I'm disappointed with is that they decided to bring back the corded controller, instead of the wavebird. I mean, it's 2014. Wires shouldn't be a thing for console input.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

As per usual, Nintendo is more interested in cashing in on the short term nostalgia of fans who do not care about the big picture than building proper support structures for the well being of their platform.

Topic Creator is right. They could have made a controller that encompasses the benefits of the original controller for SSB and also made unobtrusive updates (such as an L2 buttons, + and - buttons, clickable analog buttons) so this controller can function with all the other software on the system.

I wouldn't be surprised if this controller was only made for this single piece of software, SSB Wii U. If that does happen or is only updated to support a handful of software, it is just further indication that Nintendo is far more interested in being a toy creator than a software/hardware platform maker.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@elheber said:

@superbuuman: The hope was that you'd be able to use it in any Wii game that could use GCN controllers, such as Brawl, and in virtual console titles (then one day GCN VC titles). They wouldn't need to reprogram games at all. All they'd need to do is have the adapter "translate" the signals into U Pro controller signals. An added shoulder button would have helped too, but it could've gone without.

Its Nintendo, they don't think like that...which is lame. That's why I suggest that people don't buy into this. They knew Smash fanatics would lapped this up ..hence releasing it. :P

@thedude- said:

As per usual, Nintendo is more interested in cashing in on the short term nostalgia of fans who do not care about the big picture than building proper support structures for the well being of their platform.

Topic Creator is right. They could have made a controller that encompasses the benefits of the original controller for SSB and also made unobtrusive updates (such as an L2 buttons, + and - buttons, clickable analog buttons) so this controller can function with all the other software on the system.

I wouldn't be surprised if this controller was only made for this single piece of software, SSB Wii U. If that does happen or is only updated to support a handful of software, it is just further indication that Nintendo is far more interested in being a toy creator than a software/hardware platform maker.

They pretty much release a statement to say its for Smash Wii U only

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thedude-

@superbuuman: This is just unacceptable in today's gaming world. The competition would never release hardware that expensive only to be used by one game.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@thedude-: But the competition doesn't have thousands of fans who refuse to move on from using 13 year old controllers for a specific game franchise.

Many Smash Bros fans are too stubborn to play the game with any controller that is not GameCube, therefore Nintendo will be gaining some extra pocket money and pleasing those fans simultaneously. Sure, this new adaptor will make it even harder for GC loyalists to move on, but there's enough people willing to buy them for Nintendo to gain profit out of decade old hardware.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

Maybe Nintendo will make it functional with GameCube games sold on the eShop, after all the Wii U can play GameCube games, Homebrew hackers figured out a way which involves ripping the GC disc ISO and putting it on an SDHC card and transferring it to a Homebrew enabled WIi U (because the Wii U's drive won't read GameCube discs 'cause they're small)... anyhow, not legal but that's not the point, the point is technically the Wii U is capable of running GameCube ISOs just fine, so if Nintendo wanted they could release GameCube games on eShop and give some mileage to those special adapters.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 simuseb2

@lamprey263 Considering they've yet to release Nintendo 64 games on the eShop and it's already at least half way through the console's life, I'm starting to lose hope that they ever will release gamecube games :(

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#18  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

did you do your research properly? NIntendo partnered up with PDP to release a Wii Classic Controller Pro, but it is designed as a Gamecube Controller.

source: kotaku

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Nintendo is also pushing for the competitive scene with this new Smash Bros. so wired controllers are a must if any smash bros. tourney player is going to take the game seriously. There is a level of control lag with wireless controllers that aren't found in wired controllers and the professional smash scene has been using gcn controllers for 13 years now.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

if you are going into tournament, yeah wired is recommended. But if you are just playing for fun or with friends, a wireless is good enough, and also that Wii U Fight Pad can be used with other games other than SSB, so its a good alternative for those games that use the Wii Classic Pro Controller, thought the Pro Controller is good also

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Personally I think the competitive scene can stand to get over it too. If everyone is using wireless controllers at the tournament, than everyone is playing with the same lag, so everyone can adjust. When it comes to online play, there is lag, but with some using wired and some not, there will be a difference for normal online play. Nintendo will of course(rightfully so)capitalize on people refusing to let the GC controller go and nothings wrong with that. But at some point it has to be put out to pasture.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thedude-

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@thedude-: But the competition doesn't have thousands of fans who refuse to move on from using 13 year old controllers for a specific game franchise.

Many Smash Bros fans are too stubborn to play the game with any controller that is not GameCube, therefore Nintendo will be gaining some extra pocket money and pleasing those fans simultaneously. Sure, this new adaptor will make it even harder for GC loyalists to move on, but there's enough people willing to buy them for Nintendo to gain profit out of decade old hardware.

I understand, I have been playing SSB 3DS and the distance between the ABXY buttons makes it much more difficult to quickly complete the different actions needed between projectile, hit, and jump which is the main reason why people want the GC controller back. The GC controller was clearly designed for Melee. They missed out on an opportunity to have a throwback controller with wired support that could have been used with the other Pro Controller games.

There is no reason they couldn't do both. Stupid mistakes like this cheapen the Nintendo platform.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By simuseb2
@freedom01 said:

did you do your research properly? NIntendo partnered up with PDP to release a Wii Classic Controller Pro, but it is designed as a Gamecube Controller.

If you'd read the thread, you'd have noticed that I linked this controller in my third post, but this is a Wii Classic Controller Pro, NOT a Wii U Pro controller. That extremely limits the games it can be used with and I therefore fail to see the point.

Example: Assassin's Creed can only be played with the latter.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@simuseb2 said:

@freedom01 said:

If you'd read the thread, you'd have noticed that I linked this controller in my third post, but this is a Wii Classic Controller Pro, NOT a Wii U Pro controller. That extremely limits the games it can be used with and I therefore fail to see the point.

I already said it was a Wii Classic Pro Controller, I never mentioned it was a Wii U Pro Controller

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By simuseb2

@freedom01 said:

@simuseb2 said:

@freedom01 said:

I already said it was a Wii Classic Pro Controller, I never mentioned it was a Wii U Pro Controller

And the point of the OP is that Nintendo should have done a Wii U Pro Controller. So the matter of doing my "research properly" really needn't have come up. lol.