Game Informer blasts the Wii U... with WRONG criticism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26904 posts) -

Source: Gamnesia, GoNintendo

Note: Without a doubt, Nintendo's online needs to be better for a multitude of reasons, but...

"4) Nintendo Still Can't Figure Out Online

Whether Nintendo likes it or not, a large contingency enjoy playing online with friends. Unfortunately, the confusing Wii U does little to service this constituency. With no universal friends list, no universal friend chat, and annoying friend codes, Nintendo has dug a deep hole it may not be able to climb out of."

...inexcusable!

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4771 posts) -

Maybe they were referring to the 3DS when mentioning "annoying friend codes?" NNIDs still have not replaced 3DS friend codes and we're not allowed to add friends on Miiverse.

#3 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1367 posts) -

Nintendo DID figure out Online. But the issue is Nintendo CHOOSING to ignore putting online on games.

#4 Posted by HowlPendragon (30 posts) -

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Maybe they were referring to the 3DS

That entire statement is referencing the Wii U only.

Either the author was misinformed, or plain lazy and pulled out a dated list of Wii U cons. Unified accounts have only been available since December.

#5 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -

You have one job to know three major platforms inside and out. If that's your job, how do you fail so much at it?

#6 Posted by Jaysonguy (37694 posts) -

The Wii U does have friend codes so I'm not sure what the problem is......

#7 Edited by JordanElek (17876 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

Because you don't need to use them if you use Miiverse.

And the WiiU has a friends list.

And you can use Miiverse for chat.

Even if you want to argue on technicalities, none of the things he listed have caused a hole that Nintendo can't climb out of. A lot of journalists seem to think the WiiU exists as it did in November 2012, and it simply doesn't. Those journalists just haven't touched the thing since then because they apparently don't think it's an important part of their job.

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (37694 posts) -

@JordanElek said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Because you don't need to use them if you use Miiverse.

And the WiiU has a friends list.

And you can use Miiverse for chat.

Even if you want to argue on technicalities, none of the things he listed have caused a hole that Nintendo can't climb out of. A lot of journalists seem to think the WiiU exists as it did in November 2012, and it simply doesn't. Those journalists just haven't touched the thing since then because they apparently don't think it's an important part of their job.

They're all work arounds, the system still has codes it just allows the users on their device to name their code.

That's a big reason why the people with multiple Wii U consoles can't switch from console to console, why there's such a set way of adding friends on the console.

There's still that barrier that was there on the Wii, it's not nearly as bad but it's still there

#9 Posted by JordanElek (17876 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

They're all work arounds, the system still has codes it just allows the users on their device to name their code.

That's a big reason why the people with multiple Wii U consoles can't switch from console to console, why there's such a set way of adding friends on the console.

There's still that barrier that was there on the Wii, it's not nearly as bad but it's still there

And that's such a non-issue that 99% of people who have the console will never have to deal with it or even know about it.

If you want to play online on the WiiU, you boot up the game and play online. If you want to play with a friend, you add them through Miiverse, maybe send a message or just see when they're online and what they're playing on your friends list, then you play together online.

It works like that on all the consoles. You can't do out-of-game voice chat, but everything else is pretty much the same. There aren't any barriers to playing games online on the WiiU. It isn't the Wii.

#10 Edited by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
@Jaysonguy said:

That's every online service.

You think that your username on here, Wii U, or anywhere else is the only identifier attached to your profile? Every profile has a numberID (123456) behind the characterID (JaysonGuy). For companies as big as Nintendo, they'd be stupid not to have more than one identifier.

#11 Edited by Jaysonguy (37694 posts) -

@haziqonfire said:
@Jaysonguy said:

That's every online service.

You think that your username on here, Wii U, or anywhere else is the only identifier attached to your profile? Every profile has a numberID (123456) behind the characterID (JaysonGuy). For companies as big as Nintendo, they'd be stupid not to have more than one identifier.

Yes but the problem comes in when I want to connect with either

1. Another console

2. A user who has not been informed of my decision to make them a friend

The way the system is now there's too many hoops.

#12 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (11419 posts) -

What friend codes is Jayson talking about? I honestly don't remember any FCs on Wii U.

#13 Edited by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Friend codes? I mean I guess you could consider a user name a friend code since you need to remember your friend's NNID in order to find them without searching through communities for their posts.

Honestly the way you add people on the Wii U (through Miiverse, you can do it through your friend's list but I personally never use that) is pretty much straight forward and hasnt caused any problems for me with playing Online with friends and strangers around the world a-like. Just earlier today I was playing online on CoD: Ghost on the Wii U and I got a few notifications telling me a few of my friends were playing too, I didnt play online with them but if I felt like it I could do it pretty easily.

#14 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -

How do you guys feel about the basis behind his point, whether he made that point well or not? Would having/not having friends lists be a big negative to the WiiU?

I personally don't care as I'm rarely able to play online with my friends.

#15 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

Wrong !

alot of gamers don't like playing online with friends, they simply like playing with friends. Thats the truth and if it was and if people had friends they wouldn't need online.

Seriously who doesn't visit their friends anymore ? shame on you !

And who doesn't play with their family ? Shame on you too.

For those of yall who literally don't let a single human being of any shape or form under you roof then PC and Xbox is there for you ! Built for the caveman. :p

#16 Posted by Jaysonguy (37694 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Wrong !

alot of gamers don't like playing online with friends, they simply like playing with friends. Thats the truth and if it was and if people had friends they wouldn't need online.

Seriously who doesn't visit their friends anymore ? shame on you !

And who doesn't play with their family ? Shame on you too.

For those of yall who literally don't let a single human being of any shape or form under you roof then PC and Xbox is there for you ! Built for the caveman. :p

That's one of the most pathetic arguments I've ever seen on here

Your entire argument is "go visit people"

Well I'm glad you're 9 and you can hang out with all your friends after school, for everyone else in the real world that doesn't happen.

#17 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

@ Jaysonguy

Exactly ! Not a single human being has been under your roof other than yourself. Unless you got a family or girlfriend but still insist on playing Call of Duty online instead of playing Mario with them.

Thats weak Mr. Caveman, put some damn pants on and play with real people.

I'm actually busy with Studies until june, and so are my friends (Haven't seen'em in 3months) , I made a new friend recently and I got Sundays free, plus theres my brother, works hard in a differen't city yet we hang out every other weekend (we just don't game together).

Hell my mom can do better than that and she works two jobs. You and your excuses.

Admit it, you like being alone, you like playing online with strangers (I don't care how many zombies you slayed with Xbot127, if you don't hang out with them than they're not your friends, hell they're barely even human).

Go ahead, call me 9 again. I actually had fewer friends when I was 9, infact I only had one.

#18 Posted by Jaysonguy (37694 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Jaysonguy

Exactly ! Not a single human being has been under your roof other than yourself. Unless you got a family or girlfriend but still insist on playing Call of Duty online instead of playing Mario with them.

Thats weak Mr. Caveman, put some damn pants on and play with real people.

I'm actually busy with Studies until june, and so are my friends (Haven't seen'em in 3months) , I made a new friend recently and I got Sundays free, plus theres my brother, works hard in a differen't city yet we hang out every other weekend (we just don't game together).

Hell my mom can do better than that and she works two jobs. You and your excuses.

Admit it, you like being alone, you like playing online with strangers (I don't care how many zombies you slayed with Xbot127, if you don't hang out with them than they're not your friends, hell they're barely even human).

Go ahead, call me 9 again. I actually had fewer friends when I was 9, infact I only had one.

From your response it looks like I overshot your age by about 5 years...

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13681 posts) -

@ Jaysonguy

I'm the 5 year old with two Controllers, not one.