First impression for Xenoblade X

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3673 Posts

Just got the game today and I'm having a blast. The exploration is huge that you can really get easily distracted. There is no loading time unless you get into a cut-scene or use instant travel. Since I'm only a few hours into the game, I havent gotten to try out the doll yet. Only finished the prologue right now so all I got to do was a little...(though I spent a good 2 hours exploring before continuing on to the story, and raising my character's base and class level.

When you start the game, your character is on a drifter class, this class is just the basic class and can equip a rifle and a knife. Then it is split up into 3 different classes, each concentrating with different arts. I went with the assault class since I like concentrating on attacks. The Assault Class can equip a long sword and a assault rifle, once you raise your class into a certain lvl, the class is then split into 2 different classes, you either go with the Samurai Battler class, or a Shield gunner class. The Samurai Gun has the same equipment, but the Shield Battler has a shield and a minigun.

I havent seen what the other classes were yet since Im just concentrating on Assault.

Before playing the game though, it is required to download the data packs that are available in the Nintendo Shop, they suppose to improve environmental graphics, enemy spawns, and doll graphics. These data packs are only recommended only for the retail disc versions, since the digital versions already have these included. The data packs combined will take around 10GB of your HDD.

As much as I'm having fun, the only down side about this game, for me, was the lack of choices for the character creation. There is only a handful of hairstyles to choose from, which from my opinion all look...lacking. Same thing with the voice options.

Overall though the game is fun, I havent seen the other features yet, so Im going to try them out right now

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Sounds good to me! It kills me that I will be waiting for months for this. Japan is the luckiest place on Earth.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@freedom01: Awesome! I was hoping someone here would have imported the game and posted impressions. Thanks for no spoilers too.

Do you know Japanese? My question is and has always been to importers... how do you understand the story if you don't know Japanese? Or do you just watch the cut-scenes and kind of guess the story. Same thing with all the systems in this game, how do you figure out completely what's going on without being able to read instructions from the tutorials? Is it just a bunch of trial and error? I'm very intrigued.

Glad to hear the game is good so far.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@roboccs:@freedom01 understands some Japanese from what i understand, they have translated stuff for us a few times on the forums recently with Xenoblade Japanese videos.

Thats cool youre getting lost in the world so far. Im not big fan on character creations, it seems that no matter how many options you get, they always seem lacking. Hopefully they have a way so that everyone online doesnt look the same. Which im guessing might not be that bad since only so many players can enter through a single hub. Keep us posted, so much in this game its crazy.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@roboccs like what @iandizion713 has said, yes, I do understand Japanese so I have no problems playing the game.

Ok, played a few more hours and finally became a BLADE and joined a Union, which you will be prompted to join one once you become a BLADE. As for how Unions go, if you've watched any of the youtube videos from Nintendo, there are different Unions, each concentrating on different tasks. I chose one that fit my playing style, which would be the Interceptors, which specializes on exterminating enemies. You get more Union points, which I still dont know what they are for though lol, for doing tasks which your Union specializes on. Even though you chose one of the Unions, you can change them any time you want at your Blade Home, but be advised that you will need to pay a hefty amount cash (not as much as buying a DOLL) to switch your Union, so choose your first one wisely. You can still get Union points for planting probes, scavenging, gathering, exterminating, and doing quests, but you will get more for the ones that are specialized for your Union.

As for accepting quests, there is a quest board that lists out the quests you can do, and like the previous game, you can accept as many quests as you can. But there are some quests that are not listed on the board and you will have to find the NPC which will be highlighted with a red question mark on your mini map radar.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 roboccs

@freedom01: Sounds great! It seems money plays a much more important role in this game than it did in the original Xenoblade. Hopefully once you get far into this game making money will be really easy (like it was in the first game).

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedom01  Moderator
@roboccs said:

@freedom01: Sounds great! It seems money plays a much more important role in this game than it did in the original Xenoblade. Hopefully once you get far into this game making money will be really easy (like it was in the first game).

The money making system is quite interesting this time. You can sell your old gears and materials you find, but they wont net you a lot of money. You can also do quests to make a profit, but even that has their limit. The way you actually make money on this game is salary. Lol yes, you get paid regularly, I'm still trying to find out how this works, and how you can get a raise, but its like Final Fantasy VIII, where you get gil like an allowance and you get a raise for raising your SeeD lvl.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@freedom01: Nice, thats pretty cool. Whatever you do, dont get yourself fired, would be hard compensating for that salary.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedom01  Moderator

@iandizion713 said:

@freedom01: Nice, thats pretty cool. Whatever you do, dont get yourself fired, would be hard compensating for that salary.

lol that is true, and I need that salary to buy those DOLL, which are crazy expensive

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 roboccs

@freedom01: Really? That's kind of cool with the salary system actually. The second you mentioned it I immediately thought of FF8.

Gah! I need this game now! LOL

The only thing that scares me is there are SO MANY systems... it actually sounds kind of intimidating. Hopefully they are good at leaking them out to you at an easy pace like they did in the last game.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunchanumbers

How is the online? Have you tried it yet? I heard that the game would allow for keyboard support.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@bunchanumbers said:

How is the online? Have you tried it yet? I heard that the game would allow for keyboard support.

The online I havent seen it action yet. Also dont know about the keyboard support. Though there is a keyboard image on the gamepad and some emotion actions such as waving and cheering.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

Good to know that you have the game in Japanese. No spoilers for the 2nd half of the game please. Try to balance out your melee and gun attacks in strength.

http://www.twitch.tv/silentsakia/c/6659802

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GameboyTroy

@roboccs said:

@freedom01: Really? That's kind of cool with the salary system actually. The second you mentioned it I immediately thought of FF8.

Gah! I need this game now! LOL

The only thing that scares me is there are SO MANY systems... it actually sounds kind of intimidating. Hopefully they are good at leaking them out to you at an easy pace like they did in the last game.

The best thing to do is to simplify those systems as much as possible.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

back up there a sec.

so you need to download 10GB of data for the disc version? this is not optional?

if it is optional how does the game play?

i only have 2GB left on my wiiu and i would rather not invest in a HDD for the system for now.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bunchanumbers

@osan0 said:

back up there a sec.

so you need to download 10GB of data for the disc version? this is not optional?

i only have 2GB left on my wiiu and i would rather not invest in a HDD for the system for now.

They are optional, according to news sources. You will have most likely experience loading times because of this though.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#17 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@osan0 said:

back up there a sec.

Get a Sandisk Cruzer Fit. It works great and you won't even notice it's there.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedom01  Moderator

@osan0 said:

back up there a sec.

it is optional, but it is highly recommended to download it to have smoother gameplay, NPC loading faster in towns, having more enemies on the field, and having a detailed graphics on some areas such as DOLLS.
As for how the game will play without it, I dont know since I downloaded it before I got my game. Though their website recommends us to download it to experience the game smoothly.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#19 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

This makes me super excited for it. I am loving Xenoblade Chronicles right now, and I wanna jump for joy that it is sounding even better. I love these style of games I just don't know too many like it as I recently just got into these style of rpgs.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

same brand TV got Panasonic too. Yay! :..lucky!...keep the info coming..hehehe. :P

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

I will explain how the fast travel works this time. Unlike the previous game where you open the map and choose the area you want to travel to, this time you just use the gamepads screen. Your gamepads screen will show the overview of the map, the map is broken up into what they call segments, on some of the segments there are checkpoint location which is used to changing from daytime to nigh or vice versa. Wgen you find these checkpoints, on the segments there will be a little icon and when you touch on those segments with the icons, you have the option to fast travel there,

Some other features you can do with rhe gamepad is changing the type of probes you have set-upped while you were exploring the world. Changing the probe can give different boosts to that area such as raising your stats while tou are on that area. This is similar to that feature used in Fairy Fencer, where you set swords in dungeons/enviroment to give special boosts.

I will post some pics later on on how the features look like on the gamepad.

Edit: here are the pics

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GameboyTroy

@freedom01: Nice impressions. Its 3:32am ET here.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 superbuuman

Oh does this game allow you to take a screenshot of the game..then posted on miiverse/facebook etc?...I know most Wii U games allows you to do it, except Monster Hunter Tri. :P

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

@superbuuman: Sadly it doesnt, I will have to take pics of it with my camera lol

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Lucky! Sounds great. Can't wait to play it.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

@freedom01: @bunchanumbers: ah ok. im nearly tempted to play without the download just to see what monolith managed to pull off using the disc drive alone...at least to start out with. jsut for curiositys sake. nintendo really should have used a hard drive as standard though. this is exactly the type of scenario where a HDD would have made life a whole lot easier for the developer.

@YearoftheSnake5: yeah i was thinking about using a flash memory stick instead of a HDD. i dont need tons of storage as i ususally get games from retail. i looked into it and, offically, nintendo dont recommend it. are you using flash memory and, if so, have there been any issues?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@osan0 said:

yeah i was thinking about using a flash memory stick instead of a HDD. i dont need tons of storage as i ususally get games from retail. i looked into it and, offically, nintendo dont recommend it. are you using flash memory and, if so, have there been any issues?

I'm using flash for now. I have an external HDD on the way because I'm out of space on both my Wii U and flash drive. I have never experienced any issues with using the flash drive mentioned. Other users on this board have tried different ones with varying results. Some just don't work.

Nintendo doesn't recommend flash drives because they have a limited number of writes/erase cycles. As long as you're not constantly erasing it or deleting/writing things to it, the drive should last you a very long time.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

Let me make a correction about accepting quests from the quest board. You can only accept up to 20 quests from the quests board.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedom01  Moderator

@bunchanumbers said:

I got to finally try the online mode. What happens is, while you are playing you will have an announcement prompting that there is a squad quest available. If you want to accept you press the - button and just accept, btw this is a first come serve so if the slots are filled out, you will not be able to join. The quest will take in a small map and you do around the area finding monsters and eliminating them

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Thanks for the early info. In anticipation to the required 10GB data packs I've already upgraded my HDD space. Now we just need a localized release date.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 bunchanumbers

@freedom01 said:
@bunchanumbers said:

I got to finally try the online mode. What happens is, while you are playing you will have an announcement prompting that there is a squad quest available. If you want to accept you press the - button and just accept, btw this is a first come serve so if the slots are filled out, you will not be able to join. The quest will take in a small map and you do around the area finding monsters and eliminating them

huh. That is pretty interesting. What about friend hunts? Is it possible or is it only this format? Also can you plant a probe in every hexagon on the map and still get bonuses? It looks like once you put the probe in, that is all that is on that segment.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 freedom01  Moderator

@bunchanumbers said:

huh. That is pretty interesting. What about friend hunts? Is it possible or is it only this format? Also can you plant a probe in every hexagon on the map and still get bonuses? It looks like once you put the probe in, that is all that is on that segment.

you mean doing quests with your friends? if so yes, when you get in a squad, whenever you begin the game, it asks you if you want to play solo, online, or with friends. What this means is that while in solo you will not get any of the announcements or squad reports. When you play online, you will get these announcements and reports. And when you play on friends, you will only get requests and reports from your friends.

As for the probes, you can only set the probes in a specific hexagon, the hexagon where the probes can be set have an image that has a triangular thing and a stick in the middle that looks like they will drill. But that doesnt mean you can set it anywhere. You will have to find a specific location in that hexagon, you can find these spots since they have a bright red pillar that shines to the sky. As for changing probes, you will be able to change them anytime, as long as you have the probes (they are a usable item). To simply change them, you look at your gamepad screen and tap on the hexagon with the drill image, there will be an option to change the probe. You can change the probe from anywhere within the game, it wont matter if you are not near the area.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

This game is making me consider a New 3DS.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bunchanumbers

@freedom01 said:
@bunchanumbers said:

you mean doing quests with your friends? if so yes, when you get in a squad, whenever you begin the game, it asks you if you want to play solo, online, or with friends. What this means is that while in solo you will not get any of the announcements or squad reports. When you play online, you will get these announcements and reports. And when you play on friends, you will only get requests and reports from your friends.

As for the probes, you can only set the probes in a specific hexagon, the hexagon where the probes can be set have an image that has a triangular thing and a stick in the middle that looks like they will drill. But that doesnt mean you can set it anywhere. You will have to find a specific location in that hexagon, you can find these spots since they have a bright red pillar that shines to the sky. As for changing probes, you will be able to change them anytime, as long as you have the probes (they are a usable item). To simply change them, you look at your gamepad screen and tap on the hexagon with the drill image, there will be an option to change the probe. You can change the probe from anywhere within the game, it wont matter if you are not near the area.

Ahh that makes sense. I was wondering what was stopping people from planting a probe on every hexagon and just cashing in on that automated money.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bigboi500

@mgools said:

This game is making me consider a New 3DS.

?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By superbuuman

@freedom01 said:

@superbuuman: Sadly it doesnt, I will have to take pics of it with my camera lol

Dang! ...that's a shame. :( Would have love to post screen shot to show off the game. :P

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GameboyTroy

@superbuuman said:
@freedom01 said:

Dang! ...that's a shame. :( Would have love to post screen shot to show off the game. :P

You want to see screenshots? Here you go. From another forum.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bigboi500

My excitement for this game is going through the roof right about now. I'm hating your ass right about now Freedom01.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

A lot of good games coming out this year. Xenoblade is definitely one of my most anticipated along with Metal Gear and Dragon Quest Heros. I love the art style of Xenoblade X. I've been staying away from watching anymore videos of it. I'm in media black out mode.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

Forgot to mention this, when planting probes, searching treasure boxes, or scavenging scraps, some will require a certain level for a skill. These skill are mechanical, biological, and search. For planting probes, you will have to raise the mechanical skill. The treasure boxes are split up into 2 categories: mechanical and biological.And when scavenging scraps you will need search. These skill can be raised when you raise your BLADE lvl, how do you raise these? You raise it by gaining Union points. When your BLADE lvl raises, you will have to talk to a specific NPC near the Quest board, she will reward you will additional decorations for your BLADE Home and you will have to choose which of the 3 skill you would want to lvl up.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Game sounds amazing, cant wait for it to make it stateside.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

Can I ask a couple of Qs freedom01?

1) Does it support off-tv play on the gamepad?

2) Did you try playing without the data packs? How much worse was it?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Looks like a great sequel to my 2012 GOTY.

@freedom01 How is the soundtrack and does it fit well with the atmosphere/overworld?

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freedom01  Moderator

@garywood69 said:

Can I ask a couple of Qs freedom01?

1) Does it support off-tv play on the gamepad?

2) Did you try playing without the data packs? How much worse was it?

1) Yes, it does support off-tv play. On the gamepad's screen, there will be an icon that shows switching from TV to Gamepad screen

2) No I have not played the game without the data pack, so I have no clue on how the game will look and play without it

@Seabas989 said:

Looks like a great sequel to my 2012 GOTY.

@freedom01 How is the soundtrack and does it fit well with the atmosphere/overworld?

The soundtrack, from my opinion, is great. It matches well with the environment and the BGM changes from day and night.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 roboccs

@freedom01: I wonder why they decided to not allow screenshots on MiiVerse? I wonder if it's to try and prevent spoilers or if the game is hogging so many resources that the WiiU can't handle running Miiverse too?

It's interesting because I've switched my Miiverse over to the Japan Region and went to the X community to check it out and it said no player posts have occurred which I thought was weird. Now I guess I know why.

While on the Miiverse topic, I have another question for you @freedom01; The X Miiverse community has the "related communities" option. The related communities include story community, battle community, world community, library community, and open reports.... any insight on the benefits or main reasons they put in so many different X communities? Is there any good function with these?

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 freedom01  Moderator

@roboccs said:

@freedom01: I wonder why they decided to not allow screenshots on MiiVerse? I wonder if it's to try and prevent spoilers or if the game is hogging so many resources that the WiiU can't handle running Miiverse too?

It's interesting because I've switched my Miiverse over to the Japan Region and went to the X community to check it out and it said no player posts have occurred which I thought was weird. Now I guess I know why.

While on the Miiverse topic, I have another question for you @freedom01; The X Miiverse community has the "related communities" option. The related communities include story community, battle community, world community, library community, and open reports.... any insight on the benefits or main reasons they put in so many different X communities? Is there any good function with these?

For the Miiverse question, the community is mostly advice from other players where they share their findings. The different community is so that players who need help will be able to easily find the help they need on

@superbuuman said:

Oh does this game allow you to take a screenshot of the game..then posted on miiverse/facebook etc?...I know most Wii U games allows you to do it, except Monster Hunter Tri. :P

let me correct my previous answer, didnt know how to use the miiverse screenshot posting. Yes, you can post screenshots of your game on Miiverse

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 roboccs

@freedom01: Great to know! Thanks for all the great updates on this game without a single spoiler!

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By freedom01  Moderator

ok, its been a week since I got the game, and now I got pretty much a hang of it. As of now, I still have not gotten the DOLL yet, since Im taking my time lvling my characters and finishing some side quests. Ok, now for an update, first off let me apologize on the probes part @bunchanumbers, planting probes does not affect stats of the area, but its used to mine out resources and raise the income you get. Changing the probes, such as to mining probes will net you more miranium and other precious rare resources. Planting research probes will earn you more money.

Now for the main story quests. To continue on with the story, you will sometimes be required to do certain bond quests and have a percentage of an area map covered.

For companies that creates your gears, you will first start out with two, but as you go on with the story, there will be more added. There will be a terminal that is used to check the experience you are gaining with a certain company, you gain these exp by defeating enemies with the companies weapons. You can also gain more exp if you spend miranium for the companies.

For using a doll yo will need a doll licence, which will require you to do certain quests. Right now I am doing this so I dont have a lot of info to give.

Now for Class. I have mastered Assault, Samurai Gun, and General Sword Class. Once you complete the class, you will be able to equip those class specific weapons for other classes and also equip skills and arts on other classes. So if you master all of the classes, you can have your character equip all types of weapons which gives you some nice combinations.

For the squad missions part, you gain tickets when you complete certain tasks/missions. These tickets can be used to redeem material that can be used to create weapons/gears

The story so far is very good and you will be surprised since you were not expecting this outcome.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts
@freedom01 said:

For companies that creates your gears, you will first start out with two, but as you go on with the story, there will be more added. There will be a terminal that is used to check the experience you are gaining with a certain company, you gain these exp by defeating enemies with the companies weapons. You can also gain more exp if you spend miranium for the companies.

So do you get the different dolls by doing different quest lines?

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedom01  Moderator

@garywood69 said:

So do you get the different dolls by doing different quest lines?

for the DOLL part I dont know, since I just started the quests to gain my doll licence. But from what I know currently, they only make weapons and gears. Each company excels at something and their gears and weapons look different. And to get Dolls, the only way to get them is to buy them, but they are very expensive. I think the first Doll you get is free, but the rest would have to be bought. I will let you know once I get the licence which I am almost done at completing