Fire Emblem: Awakening - Lost a Unit, not sure if I should bother reloading

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Essian (3427 posts) -

So I was in the 3rd mission, and my mage died, because even though I attacked with 4 units (including Frederick), the worthless **** captain chick dodged like every attack and then sniped from from behind one of my guys.  Anyway, her name was Mirael or something, and now I don't know if I should go back and try that fight again to keep her alive.  Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Essian (3427 posts) -
also, is there any easier way to reload a save after you lose a unit than to restart the whole f****ing game? God what an antiquated design choice... just let me quickly start the battle over
#3 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Miriel is bad, I never used her anyways so no huge loss.

#4 Posted by Essian (3427 posts) -

Sora278
I dunno, ended up redoing the fight to keep her alive. However, when I went to do that side mission with the farmer kid, he kept dying while I tried to level him, so I just let him go. Seemed like a useless turd. Still, is there ANY way to restart a fight without having to shut the whole game down? Because that is really annoying me.
#5 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

Essian

I dunno, ended up redoing the fight to keep her alive. However, when I went to do that side mission with the farmer kid, he kept dying while I tried to level him, so I just let him go. Seemed like a useless turd. Still, is there ANY way to restart a fight without having to shut the whole game down? Because that is really annoying me.

You could do a soft reset of L+R+Start+Select, that is about it.  And it is funny because I found out that Donnel, the farmer, is actually like the best unit in the game.

#6 Posted by Essian (3427 posts) -

[QUOTE="Essian"][QUOTE="Sora278"]

Sora278

You could do a soft reset of L+R+Start+Select, that is about it.  And it is funny because I found out that Donnel, the farmer, is actually like the best unit in the game.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that. And what exactly does the soft reset do?
#7 Posted by spike6958 (4701 posts) -
I say live with your losses, it makes the game both more challenging and more fun, though also a little sad when you lose one of your best.
#8 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

[QUOTE="Essian"] I dunno, ended up redoing the fight to keep her alive. However, when I went to do that side mission with the farmer kid, he kept dying while I tried to level him, so I just let him go. Seemed like a useless turd. Still, is there ANY way to restart a fight without having to shut the whole game down? Because that is really annoying me.Essian

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that. And what exactly does the soft reset do?

And I am going to pretend I didn't just fail to get him in my party after the mission he's in...

Also, instead of the soft reset, what I do is set a book mark, which sends you back to the main menu. Then you just select continue instead of start from bookmark (not sure on the exact wording) and it prompts you if you want to delete your bookmark. You say yes and, voilà, you are back at the start of the mission. I really wish there was just a restart mission option since you have to do it so much...

#9 Posted by spike6958 (4701 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sora278"]

[QUOTE="Essian"] I dunno, ended up redoing the fight to keep her alive. However, when I went to do that side mission with the farmer kid, he kept dying while I tried to level him, so I just let him go. Seemed like a useless turd. Still, is there ANY way to restart a fight without having to shut the whole game down? Because that is really annoying me.Essian

Soft reset just takes you back to the games menu.
#10 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

spike6958

Soft reset just takes you back to the games menu.

Sounds like it is better than my bookmark method then.

#11 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

I wish they had an exit map option like in AW.

#12 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

just redo the fight and...a hint, see what happens when you use Chrom's rapier against those armored units by pressing x to change weapons

#13 Posted by shanzor (1035 posts) -

logicalfrank

And I am going to pretend I didn't just fail to get him in my party after the mission he's in...

Donnel starts out really weak but his aptitude skill increases his growth rates for every stat. He also has an insanely high luck. Basically he tends to increase almost every stat every time he levels up. I re-classed him to Merc at lvl 10 so he now has armsthrift which, when his luck hits 50, means his weapons will never degrade. Give him a decent weapon and he's basically already become one of the tanks of the game. As long as you keep re-classing him to avoid stat caps, he ends up being one of the best characters in the game.
#14 Posted by JordanElek (17756 posts) -

Playing missions a second time in this game is so fun that I don't even mind it. If I lose a unit that I really like, I'll just play out the mission to the end to learn as much as I can about the scenario and enemies, then soft reset as soon as I finish. If the unit is negligible, I'll finish the mission and save in a different save slot. Then, if it's going to be too difficult to finish the mission without losing a unit, I can just move on. I've been able to eventually finish all the missions so far without losing anyone, though.

I've actually started thinking about losing units in an entirely different way in this game. In other games where people can die or you can make choices, I generally just go with whatever happens to me naturally. If someone dies that I didn't want to die, I let it be. What happens happens.

But in Awakening, I see losing a unit as a challenge. What changed my mind was one of the early chapters when two weak units, a healer and a mage, appear in basically the middle of the map, out of reach from your main squad with literally ONE square of safety near them on the first turn (I'm playing on hard). I finished the mission on the first try without losing any of my original squad, but those two units got slaughtered pretty early on. So instead of just moving on without these characters that I hadn't grown attached to anyway, I decided to figure out how in the world you could even save them.

Needless to say, I figured it out after three or four trial runs then was finally able to finish the mission with them and the rest of my crew intact. That was so satisfying that I look forward to missions that seem impossible to make it out with everyone alive. There's always a way to do it, and it's really fun figuring out how.

#15 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

[QUOTE="Essian"] I'm going to pretend I didn't read that. And what exactly does the soft reset do?shanzor

Donnel starts out really weak but his aptitude skill increases his growth rates for every stat. He also has an insanely high luck. Basically he tends to increase almost every stat every time he levels up. I re-classed him to Merc at lvl 10 so he now has armsthrift which, when his luck hits 50, means his weapons will never degrade. Give him a decent weapon and he's basically already become one of the tanks of the game. As long as you keep re-classing him to avoid stat caps, he ends up being one of the best characters in the game.

Be warned though: No matter how many times he reclasses, he never removes the pot from his head. 

#16 Posted by YoBrandino (1546 posts) -

I always choose to accept a few losses here and there. If its a character I particuallary like or is very usefull, I'll reset for sure. But there having permanent death means something, but only if you accept it. If you are dead set to never let anyone die.. then you should just play on casual...

I let Mirel die. I was fine with it. I know that letting her die I was losing out on gaining another character later, but I said "This happened." I have also alowed Vaike to die and later on Frederick and his wife, Meribell.

But I did get Donnel and he does take a little work but he certainly seems to be worth it.

#17 Posted by JordanElek (17756 posts) -

But there having permanent death means something, but only if you accept it. If you are dead set to never let anyone die.. then you should just play on casual...YoBrandino
If I played on casual, I wouldn't strive to perfect every mission like I am now. The challenge of it -- and knowing that I can't be tempted to fudge my way through if I make a dumb mistake -- is what makes it so fun to me.

There have been a few times where I've lost a character that I don't care too much about and still finished the mission, but I saved on a different file just in case I decided that that mission wasn't going to be fun to get through with all my characters alive. So far, and this was a total surprise to me when I first did it, a lot of the fun in the game has been in replaying those missions to get through them without a loss.

But if that's not your thing, then playing on casual has its own merits, as well. It's not just about losing characters forever.... If you know that you can sacrifice a couple key characters in a battle to position yourself for a major move (like killing a boss with a weak character to get massive EXP), then that adds a layer to the game that doesn't exist in classic mode.

#18 Posted by scouttrooperbob (2439 posts) -

Will the story make sense if I have never played a fire Emblem game.

#19 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4702 posts) -

Will the story make sense if I have never played a fire Emblem game.

scouttrooperbob
Yes. There are a few references to older games, but they're minor.
#20 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24875 posts) -

Sora278

Second Seal her to a better class.

Also I lost that Wyvern Rider in Chapter 12. :( she would have made a good wife for one of the dudes I have.