Finally got Xenoblade

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

So I ended up splurging 69$ on an used copy of Xenoblade chronicles. I am about 2 hrs into the game and I gotta say its looking very, very good so far. Anyone else see the similarities of this game and Final Fantasy XII. I swear the art style is so similar.

I am just not digging the fight style right now. It appears to be quite rigid as in I die immediately upon engaging an enemy even two levels above. Is this sort of the norm here?

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Gamestop is going to have that game for $39.99 on Black Friday

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@voljin1987: That's awesome!! I just finished it a few weeks ago. It was the best game I played this generation.

There are gameplay similarities with FFXII but the story is light years different. The characters are the best part of the game as is the addictive battle system. It's a bit rigid with levels but as you get better and more equipped you'll be able to beat monsters 4 or 5 levels above you. But leveling up to within 2 or so levels of later game enemies makes a HUGE difference.

Enjoy the game man! It is as good as advertised. And try not to read too much online about the game, there are a lot of twists and spoilers could easily ruin it.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#4 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I haven't started Xenoblade yet. I started with The Last Story. Main reason being its shorter. I'll start Xenoblade once I finish The Last Story, but I'm about two hours into that one and enjoying it as well.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

@voljin1987: Don't fight red enemies until you're more comfortable with the combat system. The game streams new combat techniques to you for several hours, so just stick to easy enemies for awhile. You'll have a lot more strategies to use later on.

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

If you stack AGI you can take on higher level enemies easily, just FYI :) Gem layouts make a much bigger difference in your combat effectiveness than levels, as do your skill links!

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs

@ttualumni13: Lol! I figured it was a matter of time before you chimed in on a Xenoblade topic!

You are right about the gems. I balanced my party out well with them. I honestly was too lazy to meddle with the skill links until very late in the game! I wish I would have sooner. So you don't need these things but they sure do help.

I listen to the soundtrack on YouTube all the time too... Prologue A and Prologue B are incredible.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#8 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

@voljin1987: It is really worthy of every penny! Enjoy :D

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

@roboccs: Hah yeah, it's hard for me to stay away. I'm actually playing it through again while I'm sick and off work cause the music is soothing :P Skill links can be huuuuge, right now I've got my shulk with 100% crit chance through weapon, gems, and links, with each crit healing me. Kinda overpowered haha

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 roboccs

@ttualumni13: I think you've mastered it! I'm tempted to play again but I restarted Arc Rise Fantasia and am really into it right now.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#11 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Awesome!

I am not a big fan of JRPGs, but I loved Xenoblade! It is one of the Wii's best games. I put it on my Top 3.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 voljin1987

@ttualumni13 said:

If you stack AGI you can take on higher level enemies easily, just FYI :) Gem layouts make a much bigger difference in your combat effectiveness than levels, as do your skill links!

Figures.. i dont even have gem crafting unlocked yet.. the machine in the town is powered down.. must say, its looking to be very, very good. I just want to explore every inch of bionis.. so beautiful.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#13  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Great for you. It's an amazing game.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

theres always 1 enemy you cant defeat until you advance further in the level...then you can go back and beat him.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@voljin1987 said:

So I ended up splurging 69$ on an used copy of Xenoblade chronicles. I am about 2 hrs into the game and I gotta say its looking very, very good so far. Anyone else see the similarities of this game and Final Fantasy XII. I swear the art style is so similar.

I am just not digging the fight style right now. It appears to be quite rigid as in I die immediately upon engaging an enemy even two levels above. Is this sort of the norm here?

You will get slapped around if you engage the wrong monster at the wrong level. Even two levels above can be pretty tough. I really like that direction, as the monsters don't necessarily level up with you(Oblivion) and present an ongoing challenge of what to engage, observe, avoid, and attack. It took some getting used to. Be sure to get better armor/weapons whenever possible. Best to have every edge you can get.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 voljin1987

20 hrs in.. and all I can say is wow.. I have just reached Colony 6.. and really this is an excellent example of a game with crap graphics but excellent art direction.. Bionis Leg was seriously jaw dropping... I must have died like 30 times.. more than any other jrpg i have played before.. loving the mechanism where i dont lose anything when i die.. wonderful.. all jrpgs should have this from now on..

i am taking my sweet time just exploring the world for hours at end.. the scenery is seriously jaw dropping.. and must say the story is quite good too

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 roboccs

That's great! Keep it up, it only gets better.

I was never one to feel the graphics were as bad as everyone said they were. They looked like a ps2 game but still looked good. I honestly can't believe the wii could handle a game with fields of that size and with that much activity. It shows that the system was more powerful than people thought.

I died a ton too. I'm glad you're not getting frustrated. I did a little bit but I'm glad I pressed on, it turned out to be a true classic in my eyes. I loved too how when you died you didn't lose progress.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

best JRPG game this gen for me and one of the best of all time i hope you like it

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

Xenoblade is a very good game. I heard about it when I found out about Operation Rainfall. When I found out that it was being sold in America exclusively through GameStop, I purchased it on a whim to check out what all the fuss was about.

Probably one of the best impromptu purchases I've made.

@voljin1987 said:
i am taking my sweet time just exploring the world for hours at end.. the scenery is seriously jaw dropping.. and must say the story is quite good too

The game certainly has gorgeous scenery. If you're enjoying it a lot now, just wait until you make your way further up the Bionis.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pierst179
@roboccs said:

That's great! Keep it up, it only gets better.

I was never one to feel the graphics were as bad as everyone said they were. They looked like a ps2 game but still looked good. I honestly can't believe the wii could handle a game with fields of that size and with that much activity. It shows that the system was more powerful than people thought.

I died a ton too. I'm glad you're not getting frustrated. I did a little bit but I'm glad I pressed on, it turned out to be a true classic in my eyes. I loved too how when you died you didn't lose progress.

Some of the bosses of the game's final stretch drove me insane with frustration. They were really hard.

And yeah, enjoy exploring the game! I spent countless hours finding the landmarks of all the scenarios to unlock the full maps!

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 voljin1987

I must say the Brit accent in the game is quite nice.. Look forward to hearing Reyn say "what a bunch of jokers" after every game xD.. and Sharla.. woot.. thats some nice physics shes got :)

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 roboccs

@voljin1987: What always cracked me up about Sharla was some of her armors are so skimpy, especially later in the game... Yet the more skin is exposed, the more protective the armor is!

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By voljin1987

just reached satorl marsh.. reached around 3 PM in the evening.. looking around feeling disgruntled that the level is so "brown".. and then its nighttime and boom.. avatar's pandora is right here

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pierst179
@voljin1987 said:

just reached satorl marsh.. reached around 3 PM in the evening.. looking around feeling disgruntled that the level is so "brown".. and then its nighttime and boom.. avatar's pandora is right here

Oh yeah. I remember when I first saw that place at night. My mind was blown. It is gorgeous!

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 turtlethetaffer

@Pierst179: Yeah my thoughts exactly. I got to Satorl marsh first during the day and I was like "well this sucks" then it turned into night and holy hell. One of the most surreally beautiful moments I've had with a game. Wish there was a way to replicate the feeling of first playing it like that again.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pierst179

The marsh certainly stands out, but that game has an incredible amount of awe-inspiring environments.

When you step into them for the first time, it is like walking into Hyrule Field back in 1998. And I don't feel like I am exaggerating.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@Pierst179: Oh, undoubtedly. Very few games can draw me into their worlds like Xenoblade did. It was enourmous, without ever feeling like it's big just for the sake of being big. IMO it's the best console game of the generation... Although Knights in the Nightmare takes my game of the gen. It just did so many things well and was made with such care that I can't think of another suitable game. At the very least, you need to give it credit for its pacing; whenever you weren't pushing the (awesome) story forward, it was simply because you chose to, not because you're grinding or anything.

So, in short, I completely agree. It has one of the best worlds ever crafted. Comparing it to OoT is perfect; not since that game (and Majora's Mask
) has looking at the world given me such an incredible sense of awe.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By voljin1987

@turtlethetaffer have u played the indie game aquaria.. for me that game and final fantasy 12 gave me worlds which i thoroughly enjoyed exploring.. but yeah xenoblade is definitely up there.. each area is unique and beautiful.. cant wait to see what else this game throws at me

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 turtlethetaffer

@voljin1987: Never even heard of it sorry.

Although, how have you died 30 times? As long as you avoid really high level guys, you shouldn't die too much...

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By voljin1987

@turtlethetaffer said:

@voljin1987: Never even heard of it sorry.

Although, how have you died 30 times? As long as you avoid really high level guys, you shouldn't die too much...

i know.. i suck :P... i died like 4-5 times to xord before i managed to topple him and in bionis leg.. there is a HUGE guy sitting in the middle of the map around lvl 80.. he attacks me if i attack any low level creature near him.. half my deaths happened in bionis leg during exploration..

- visted some cave where a bunch of spear tarkins assaulted me.. i was at lvl 13 at the time.

- underneath the bridge, there were some interesting rock formations, so explored there and boom two lvl 70 creatures destroyed me.

- visited the shrine all the way to the end and a big badass spider took me for lunch

- attacked a leg amu or whatever they are called to finish a side quest and it called out to its papa a big lvl 74 badass who proceeded to pommel me

so yeah a lot of deaths.. some caused by jumping from high places too :D.. even got an achievement for that lol

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 turtlethetaffer

@voljin1987: Ah yeah I see. you'll find that there are lots of enemies that are much higher level... They're meant to be. You're supposed to go back later to conquer them.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@voljin1987: Aquaria has been on my watch list for awhile. I'm going to pick it up next Steam sale.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 voljin1987

sigh.. the music in satorl marsh during nighttime is so heavenly.. makes me just want to stop playing, crank up the volume and listen it all day.. bless youtube for its 30 minute extended version..

Loading Video...

@Minishdriveby said:

@voljin1987: Aquaria has been on my watch list for awhile. I'm going to pick it up next Steam sale.

i loved the game.. the world and the music were beyond awesome..

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 roboccs

@voljin1987: I was going to ask you if you like the music. It was one of my favorite parts of the game. I listen to it when I'm working a lot.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 pierst179

This thread is slowly convincing me to enjoy my next vacation by staying home and replaying Xenoblade.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By voljin1987

@roboccs loving the music.. very relaxing and soothing to listen to.. reminds me of the music from the .hack series of games

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@Pierst179: Likewise! I'll even try to complete all ~480 side quests if I end up replaying it.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#38 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@voljin1987 said:

20 hrs in.. and all I can say is wow.. I have just reached Colony 6.. and really this is an excellent example of a game with crap graphics but excellent art direction.. Bionis Leg was seriously jaw dropping... I must have died like 30 times.. more than any other jrpg i have played before.. loving the mechanism where i dont lose anything when i die.. wonderful.. all jrpgs should have this from now on..

You have many more Jaw dropping places to go, my friend! :D Post your thoughts when you hit the swamp area and the forest. Oh and you may want to not skip to daytime when you hit the swamp. ;)

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By voljin1987

@bbkkristian Quoting my post below.. yep the swamp was awesome.. visiting during the day was good. Made that transition all the more impactful.. yet to reach a forest.. currently getting my ass handed to me while i am searching for some relics to pass some crappy test in the swamp... so taking a break and exploring/doing some side quests

@voljin1987 said:

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 roboccs

@Pierst179: I was thinking the same thing! I just finished the game and am enjoying another JRPG right now but I'm dying to play Xenoblade again!

Am I the only one who if I started again I would start from scratch and not do new game + with carried over items and level from my first playthrough? I know I'll never get 100% completion and don't want to beat all the side quests. I just want to experience the story again and maybe do some additional side questing. Once Voljin1987 is done with the game, we should just make this the official Xenoblade discussion thread so we can talk spoilers and all that good stuff

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JordanElek
@roboccs said:

Am I the only one who if I started again I would start from scratch and not do new game + with carried over items and level from my first playthrough? I know I'll never get 100% completion and don't want to beat all the side quests. I just want to experience the story again and maybe do some additional side questing.

Don't forget how slowly the combat system is rolled out, though. There's a TON of stuff locked to you until many hours into the game. I feel like it would be really frustrating to play through the beginning so hamstrung.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 voljin1987

@roboccs out of curiosity, what jrpg are u playing now? also feel free to make this into a xenoblade spoiler discussion thread.. i dont mind.. i am wierd in that i dont mind if a story is spoiled.. i usually tend up reading a lot about the games i like online anyway.. xenoblade is the only game this gen on which i have spent so much time reading online about.. kinda sucks tho.. back in the the day so many games i used to refer online.. i remember pouring over spreadsheets looking at the stats breakdown of each pokemon for emerald.. referring to so many guides online for item locations in final fantasy 12.. searching for recipes and ingredient locations in witcher.. this gen tho was sad :(

Xenoblade has finally given me something to read online about.. so i daresay i would know a lot of teh spoilers already :)

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By roboccs

@voljin1987: I'm playing through Arc Rise Fantasia on the Wii. It got beat up by critics but I really like it. I'm 25 or so hours in. It's pretty traditional with turn based battles, over world map, etc. story is getting really good too. Localization was pretty weak but I don't mind. It's a very enjoyable game do far. I'm glad I gave it another shot.

@JordanElek: Yeah but going through the early stages over leveled and with powerful gems sounds really boring too. I liked building the characters and the challenges overall. Plus I'm better at the game now so I'm curious to see if it would be easier than the first playthrough or if I still actually suck!

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pierst179
@roboccs said:

Am I the only one who if I started again I would start from scratch and not do new game + with carried over items and level from my first playthrough? I know I'll never get 100% completion and don't want to beat all the side quests. I just want to experience the story again and maybe do some additional side questing. Once Voljin1987 is done with the game, we should just make this the official Xenoblade discussion thread so we can talk spoilers and all that good stuff

I hadn't put much thought into it to be honest, but I would probably start from scratch.

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@Pierst179: Likewise! I'll even try to complete all ~480 side quests if I end up replaying it.

I will be happy if I complete 1/4 of them.

One thing I would for sure go after are the heart-to-hearts. I know I should be embarrassed for saying this, and I truly am, but I never did one on my original playthrough. It seemed every heart-to-heart spot I came across had requirements I had not fulfilled.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 roboccs

@Pierst179: I agree about the heart to hearts. If anything that's what I would focus on. I did very few. The ones I did were pretty touching. I'm kind of a sap TBH.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JordanElek

@Pierst179 said:

One thing I would for sure go after are the heart-to-hearts. I know I should be embarrassed for saying this, and I truly am, but I never did one on my original playthrough. It seemed every heart-to-heart spot I came across had requirements I had not fulfilled.

The heart-to-hearts are terribly designed. Even going back to some of the early ones after 70 hours, I still couldn't do them. I think I only found two or three in the entire game that I could actually do.

I like the idea, but the requirements are way too hard to fulfill for the majority of them.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pierst179
@roboccs said:

@Pierst179: I agree about the heart to hearts. If anything that's what I would focus on. I did very few. The ones I did were pretty touching. I'm kind of a sap TBH.

I am also a sap. So I would probably love the heart-to-hearts.

@JordanElek said:

@Pierst179 said:

The heart-to-hearts are terribly designed. Even going back to some of the early ones after 70 hours, I still couldn't do them. I think I only found two or three in the entire game that I could actually do.

I like the idea, but the requirements are way too hard to fulfill for the majority of them.

So I wasn't the only who had problems with them.

I thought I was the only one.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By voljin1987

How in blazes do i beat Aggressive Cornelius.. hes a boss battle in satorl marsh in the Igna territory. I need to defeat him to get some offering for a coming of age ceremony.. he has some kind of a three hit attack that destroys me (does like 2k damage) i am lvl 29 ATM.. should i go level up more?

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 roboccs

@voljin1987: gosh I can't remember off the top of my head. I do know that 9times out of 10, if I had boss trouble I generally just leveled up and fared much better after that.

Another trick I figured out was if I had Sharla in my group, whenever Shulk had a vision, sometimes instead of warning the party member about the incoming attack, I would "warn" her and have her cast the heal round spell that heals the whole party.

I was really close to starting another playthrough today but then ran out of time. It's probably gonna happen though

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@voljin1987: Was that the lizard king guy? If so, yeah that guy took me forever... I did my best to lure out the lizards one at a time. Didn't always work but I beat him after a few tries.