Fatal Frame Wii U Reveal on Thursday

#1 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -

Koei Tecmo will be hosting an event dedicated to Fatal Frame on Japanese streaming site NicoNico on Thursday, July 17 at 1:30pm Japan time (5:30am UK time, 12:30am Eastern).

...The presentation will show the first footage of the previously announced Wii U exclusive Fatal Frame game, as well as discussing other news related to the franchise.

CVG

Source

No word on whether it will be coming West, but the game is in the works. Fatal Frame always seemed like a perfect fit for Wii U.

#2 Posted by superbuuman (2893 posts) -

Wii U needs all the games it can get..it'd be stupid for Nintendo not get this a western release..at least get it a Europe release..hahaha. :P

#3 Posted by Josh5890 (1013 posts) -

I'll stay up a little late tomorrow for this!

#4 Posted by trugs26 (5568 posts) -

Apparently Miyamoto will be making an appearance.

#5 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -
@superbuuman said:

Wii U needs all the games it can get..it'd be stupid for Nintendo not get this a western release..at least get it a Europe release..hahaha. :P

I think this Fatal Frame has a good chance for a western release just for that reason. Nintendo needs to get games out the door for Wii U to fill holes left by 3rd parties.

#6 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26185 posts) -

aww yea

#7 Posted by superbuuman (2893 posts) -

The guy talking about it sounded very boring..looks very low key. :P Game, movie & manga..hmm.

#8 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -

@ChubbyGuy40:

Here is one that can be viewed in HD. :D

#9 Posted by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

it's going to be awesome, I'd rather it had been in 3D on PS3, but this was worth the wait. I'll finally have reason to turn on my Wii U. It's sad that I have all the original games on PS2 then they abandoned Sony systems for whatever reasons. This game should provide all the atmosphere that I've missed with the lack of Japanese horror games, the graphics should be good enough, but it is sad that PS3 and PS4 will never have a Fatal Frame game.

#10 Posted by KBFloYd (13804 posts) -

the wiiU's resident evil...

looks good :)

now announce it for NA and europe >:I

#11 Posted by nini200 (9823 posts) -

a Pointer Control option would be glorious for this. I do like using the Gamepad as the Camera though as that was pretty much a must have.

#12 Posted by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

for me it will be so nice just to be playing a classic Japanese style horror game. Fatal Frame never deviated from it's gameplay style and if they can design the game around using the gamepad as the camera obscura then it will be the ultimate Fatal Frame experience. Back on PS2 i posted my ideas about using a camera obscura add on that would create a 3D effect of the ghosts coming out of the screen, and they could have realized that on PS3 for certain. I do feel that if they can manage using the gamepad like a camera obscura then perhaps they might eventually do a version for PS4 which could fully realize it all; 3D, camera obscura controller and HD mind blowing graphics.

I just hope that this Wii U version keeps the franchise alive and then maybe the PS4 ultimate Fatal Frame can happen.

#13 Posted by nini200 (9823 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

for me it will be so nice just to be playing a classic Japanese style horror game. Fatal Frame never deviated from it's gameplay style and if they can design the game around using the gamepad as the camera obscura then it will be the ultimate Fatal Frame experience. Back on PS2 i posted my ideas about using a camera obscura add on that would create a 3D effect of the ghosts coming out of the screen, and they could have realized that on PS3 for certain. I do feel that if they can manage using the gamepad like a camera obscura then perhaps they might eventually do a version for PS4 which could fully realize it all; 3D, camera obscura controller and HD mind blowing graphics.

I just hope that this Wii U version keeps the franchise alive and then maybe the PS4 ultimate Fatal Frame can happen.

Don't Nintendo own Fatal Frame now? If so, you can forget about that being on PS4

#14 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -

@nini200 said:

Don't Nintendo own Fatal Frame now? If so, you can forget about that being on PS4

Yep, they own Fatal Frame.

#16 Edited by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@nini200: yeah I read the Wiki, it's confusing, it suggest that-While Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame 4, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, the Spirit Camera spin-off and all future installments of the series.[6]

To me that's confusing, does Nintendo own Tecmo Koei? it doesn't make sense for all future installments of the series to be under Nintendo's control if they don't own Tecmo Koei, what kind of contract would grant them exclusive control over the franchise? to me it sounds like it's more of a timed exclusive deal for specific titles, so I still have hopes of the ultimate PS4 Fatal Frame game, if Sony puts up funds and publishes it then it will happen.

#17 Posted by nini200 (9823 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

@nini200: yeah I read the Wiki, it's confusing, it suggest that-While Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame 4, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, the Spirit Camera spin-off and all future installments of the series.[6]

To me that's confusing, does Nintendo own Tecmo Koei? it doesn't make sense for all future installments of the series to be under Nintendo's control if they don't own Tecmo Koei, what kind of contract would grant them exclusive control over the franchise? to me it sounds like it's more of a timed exclusive deal for specific titles, so I still have hopes of the ultimate PS4 Fatal Frame game, if Sony puts up funds and publishes it then it will happen.

You're making it more than it is. Nintendo owns Fatal Frame, it will not be on a Sony device. If they have a HD Remake or any future installment, it will be on a Nintendo console. It's as simple as that.

#18 Edited by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@nini200: not according to that Wiki information, does Nintendo own Tecmo Koei? I couldn't see that info on their Wikipedia, so THEY own the franchise not Nintendo. It's like when Capcom made RE remake and RE 0 for Nintendo, they funded and published those games so they never appeared on any other systems, but the supposed exclusive RE4 did get bounced to the PS2 etc. The information would lead me to believe Nintendo will own the rights to Fatal Frame 4 or Fatal Frame Wii U whatever the official title is, but I still think we could see other games not "co-owned" by Nintendo. If I'm wrong then then that's that, but the information wouldn't indicate Nintendo owns the exclusive rights to the Fatal Frame franchise. It's states that in Wiki, Tecmo Koei owns the rights to the franchise.

When the Wiki states they own all future installments it's regarding the games Nintendo already had made for their systems, DS, Wii and now Wii U, it just means they will control those games like they own RE remake and RE 0 originally made for the Gamecube.

#19 Posted by yokofox33 (29878 posts) -

Dat pixelated HD ass.

Game looks intriguing for real though. Creepy and mysterious for sure.

#20 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -

@yixingtpot:

Nintendo co-owns the Fatal Frame IP. It won't be coming to any other platforms.

#21 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10901 posts) -

Haven't played a Fatal Frame game before but will definitely be picking this up if it makes its way to the west.

#22 Edited by ANIMEguy10034 (4768 posts) -

Looks interesting. I'll be excited once they announce localization.

#23 Edited by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: they co own the rights to the games made for the Wii U, Tecmo owns compete control over the franchise itself just like Capcom owns RE but Nintendo controls the rights to the games they contractually own, RE remake and RE0 etc. I still have hopes of a true HD Fatal Frame game, with possible 3D HD graphics on PS4, I still think it can happen if Sony keeps controlling the console market more and more this generation.

I'm glad that it's coming to Wii U though like I said, but the graphics are close to PS2 level, not even matching The Last of Us on PS3. I just want the ghosts to look more realistic and not so much blobs of dull graphics. It should be scary like all the other FF games though so I look forward to this game coming to the US. If it doesn't get localized then it's all a moot point, and will be truly stupid, then I'd say we really need it to come out on PS4 to save the franchise from totally oblivion.

#24 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -
@yixingtpot said:
they co own the rights to the games made for the Wii U, Tecmo owns compete control over the franchise itself just like Capcom owns RE but Nintendo controls the rights to the games they contractually own, RE remake and RE0 etc.

Yeah, that's wrong and a terrible comparison. Nintendo co-owns all future installments in the Fatal Frame series. It's not even remotely the same. Don't count on the franchise going elsewhere.

#25 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -
@trugs26 said:

Apparently Miyamoto will be making an appearance.

Link, Ganon and Zelda DLC confirmed. xD

#26 Posted by yixingtpot (1405 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: I don't read or write Japanese, so I can't verify what you claim, and the sites posted as proof are fan sites nothing more... the Wiki states what I posted, Tecom Koei owns the franchise, Nintendo co-owns the games they are involved with... so unless Wiki is completely wrong, I'm right. And my comparison is valid since Nintendo doesn't own Resident Evil, but they own the rights to the games they published; Resident Evil Remake and RE 0 etc... Capcom still owns the rights to their franchise Resident Evil, but they can do deals with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to make exclusive or timed exclusive titles as is typical of the industry these days. I checked before I posted and Wiki doesn't say anything about Tecmo Koei being acquire by Nintendo, or Fatal Frame franchise other than those they are already involved with contractually.

Like I said, I'm getting the Wii U game if it makes it to the US, but I still would prefer a true HD game on PS4 since they skipped over the PS3. My dream that I posted way back about 10 years ago was a 3D Fatal Frame game, that would be the ultimate FF game of all time... and I posted my ideas before 3D was even feasible, I thought they'd have a 3D camera controller and the ghosts would look like they were coming out of the screen... that was before The Ring movie came out in Japan etc. You'd know when to his the fatal frame when the ghost looked like they were coming out of the screen and have to knock them back into the screen. I don't even know if it's possible to create that illusion but it would be cool in 3D anyway.

I'll post the info from Wikipedia again, Joystik and other sites are quoting some goofy gaming site of clowns, I doubt they know what they are talking about, here's the Wiki info; "While Tecmo Koei remains the sole owner of the Fatal Frame / Project Zero IP and franchise, Nintendo co-owns the rights to Fatal Frame 4, Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, the Spirit Camera spin-off and all future installments of the series.[6]"

... that states the obvious, just like Nintendo controls RE remake and RE0(yet they don't own Capcom or Resident Evil franchise) they control those games they published Fatal Frame 4 and Project Zero 2:Wii Edition, and Spirit Camera which is the 3DS title? I never bought a DS or 3DS so I'm not sure but it's obvious that I'm right.