Etrian Odyssey IV or Rune Factory 4; good stand alone games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by lamprey263 (25305 posts) -

I never played an Etrian Odyssey or Rune Factor game before. I have a 3DS XL and looking for some JRPGs to play; I've already played through Soul Hackers, SMT4, Devil Survivor, and Project X Zone, so I've been eying Etrian Odyssey and Rune Factor 4 next. Are Etrian Odyssey IV or Rune Factor 4 games good stand alone games, that being they'll be fun to play even for a newcomer who hasn't played them before?

Also. regarding Etrian Odyssey, I see they have 2 games on the 3DS. It say on Wikipedia that Etrian Odyssey Untold: New Millennium Girl is a remake of the original game, so should I play that first? Or does it not matter which order I play them in?

Anyhow, for people that are familiar with both, which one do you think has a better story, characters, gameplay, or anything else worth noting?

#2 Edited by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Etrian Odyssey games are not related to each other so it is fine whatever order you play them in. I have not played Rune Factory before but I think it is true for them too.

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (25305 posts) -

@Sora278 said:

Etrian Odyssey games are not related to each other so it is fine whatever order you play them in. I have not played Rune Factory before but I think it is true for them too.

have you tried both the Etrian Odyssey 3DS games? If so, which one did you like better?

#4 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Oh yes I have. Well I beat the fourth one and am still playing through Untold. Blame that on Pokemon Y coming out right after it. :P So it is too soon to judge which I like more but Untold is really well done and might replace HeartGold as my favourite remake. IV and Untold have different structure to them so that makes it harder to compare but Untold seems harder which is good. Where IV has you travel across the stratums in an airship with numerous dungeons in each, Untold is one large dungeon and every five floors is a stratum.

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17146 posts) -

Hm. I've heard that Untold is the best one for newcomers thanks to the story mode.

I am really interested in Rune Factory 4. Looks really cool.

#6 Edited by gargungulunk (134 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Rune Factory 4 is a solid game...! To answer the original question, it's not really a RPG at all, at least not in the traditional sense...yet every possible facet can be leveled-up...even walking or bathing. It's got a lot to do though. I tell myself I'm only going to play a "day" or 2, and end up finding "1" more thing to do...I've put about 50hours into it.

I'm saving the Etrian Odyssey games for now, until after I need a turn-based fix...(I knew October would be a killer release month, so SMT-IV's ending stages are waiting for me to finish it in style)

#7 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17146 posts) -

@gargungulunk: Cool I wanna check RF 4 out now

#8 Posted by lamprey263 (25305 posts) -

decided to go with Rune Factory 4 for now, GameStop doesn't have any copies so they have to take a week to mail it to me, then I realized damn that's right before Link Between Worlds releases, I may have to hold off on RF4 until after I finish the next Legend of Zelda, but at least I got myself a copy before stores stop selling them (or at least GameStop)