DS games, waterproof?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jamisonia (896 posts) -

Interesting story, I accidently washed some DS games that were in my pocket. One of the game's plastic case came apart and the circuit board seperated and washed along with it. I let them dry out for a day, expecting to have ruined games, or at least the inability to save. To my surprise none of the games were even phased. Just water damage to the labels. All of them retained their save data, and appear to be in working order, if the one that the circuit board came out of.

So DS games waterproof? Apparently.

#2 Posted by NintendoNite (728 posts) -
anything is waterproof as long as it's not being surged with electricity while wet you did the right thing to let it dry
#3 Posted by ThePlothole (11515 posts) -

Yeah, water usually destroys electronics by causing electrons to arc between circuits in ways they weren't designed to handle. This could be a problem for older cartridges, such as those for the original Game Boy, that used a battery to maintain their save function. But DS cards shouldn't have any current running through them when not in an active DS.

That's not to say you shouldn't keep your electronics away from water if at all possible. There are minerals in the water which could remain after evaporation.

#4 Posted by elbert_b_23 (8247 posts) -
the question you should be asking is anything thing in a cartridge waterproof and if its a electric thing is that even waterproof i say no some may say yes
#5 Posted by happy_dude64 (994 posts) -

Yeah, DS games are water proof. My girlfriend had my New Super Mario Bros. in her pocket and I had forgotten during a water ballon fight and I picked her up and threw her in the pool, and vice versa and the game works fine just let it dry.

#6 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Haha this reminds me of when I went "camping" (hut without electricity) and one of my buddies couldnt find a DS game so we left and drove home, just to find out later that while he was showering animal crossing fell off of his back where it had been molded into while he was sleeping on it :P.

#7 Posted by yellonet (7768 posts) -

anything is waterproof as long as it's not being surged with electricity while wet you did the right thing to let it dryNintendoNite
Not true. Water can among other things start to corrode different materials. Salt water is especially bad for electronics.

#8 Posted by NintendoNite (728 posts) -

[QUOTE="NintendoNite"]anything is waterproof as long as it's not being surged with electricity while wet you did the right thing to let it dryyellonet

Not true. Water can among other things start to corrode different materials. Salt water is especially bad for electronics.

OH thanks for the info!
#9 Posted by vgamefreak225 (270 posts) -

Huh, never knew that. Maybe i'll go test it out right now. LOL