#1 Edited by ail_taco (111 posts) -

You know thinking about it, why do you think nintendo felt they needed the ds early? 4 years. Was the gba doing that bad to bring out another system a year early?

#2 Edited by trugs26 (5295 posts) -

Interesting thought. The GBA actually sold very well, and made up for the lackluster GCN sales during that generation. Nintendo potentially had a vision and the GBA was a rather technically limited system for its time. It was pretty much a SNES, which wouldn't suffice when compared to console graphics at the time.

Nintendo obviously had an ambitious plan going ahead, after seeing what they did with the DS and Wii. I'm guessing they just wanted to leave on a high, and move onto their vision with the cash they had.

Another consideration is that the PSP was also launching in 2004. So Nintendo really had to put out a worthy competitor.

#3 Posted by ail_taco (111 posts) -
#4 Edited by trugs26 (5295 posts) -

@ail_taco: I'm just guessing off the top of my head. I'd need to actually research and find out. Hopefully someone else will post a more thorough/actuate response.

#5 Posted by ail_taco (111 posts) -

just something to pondr about

#6 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7204 posts) -

The DS was supposed to be a 'third pillar', as Nintendo referred to it(GCN || GB || DS). It was to be an additional source of revenue. In the event that the DS didn't take off, Nintendo would've been able to fall back on the Gameboy line. As we all know, the DS became a mega success for Nintendo. As a result, there was no need to release another Gameboy.

#7 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

The DS was supposed to be a 'third pillar', as Nintendo referred to it(GCN || GB || DS). It was to be an additional source of revenue. In the event that the DS didn't take off, Nintendo would've been able to fall back on the Gameboy line. As we all know, the DS became a mega success for Nintendo. As a result, there was no need to release another Gameboy.

This is it