Dragon Quest series.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

atlanta_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 atlanta_guy
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

I have never played any of the DQ games but am I very interested in starting one. Where should I begin? Which one is better?

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Eeeny, meeny, miiiiny,moe. Catch a Dragon Quest game by its toe. If the game sucks, let it go. Eeeny, meeeeny, miiiiny, moe. Got it? Good. :)
-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

The best is VI, but unfortunately it has yet to be released.

Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Taylor_B
Member since 2009 • 905 Posts
Eeeny, meeny, miiiiny,moe. Catch a Dragon Quest game by its toe. If the game sucks, let it go. Eeeny, meeeeny, miiiiny, moe. Got it? Good. :)jjtiebuckle
Well that was helpful...not. Do you plan on playing all the ds ones, eventually, or do you just plan on playing one? If you only plan on playing one, I think DQ V is a bit better than IV. Otherwise, you might as well start with IV.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 meiaman
Member since 2006 • 3300 Posts
[QUOTE="jjtiebuckle"]Eeeny, meeny, miiiiny,moe. Catch a Dragon Quest game by its toe. If the game sucks, let it go. Eeeny, meeeeny, miiiiny, moe. Got it? Good. :)Taylor_B
Well that was helpful...not. Do you plan on playing all the ds ones, eventually, or do you just plan on playing one? If you only plan on playing one, I think DQ V is a bit better than IV. Otherwise, you might as well start with IV.

Actually there is hidden wise words of wisdom hidden inside that phrase. :3 Id you plan to play them all then play then in order, or you can always wait for DQ IX.
Sophia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sophia
Member since 2003 • 567 Posts

I would just play V. You don't really have to go in order anyway, and V is more interesting and easier to get into.

Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Taylor_B
[QUOTE="Taylor_B"][QUOTE="jjtiebuckle"]Eeeny, meeny, miiiiny,moe. Catch a Dragon Quest game by its toe. If the game sucks, let it go. Eeeny, meeeeny, miiiiny, moe. Got it? Good. :)meiaman

Actually there is hidden wise words of wisdom hidden inside that phrase. :3 Id you plan to play them all then play then in order, or you can always wait for DQ IX.

Lol...what wisdom?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Well, although V is probably better, you can't go wrong with either one. Also, IV is cheaper at $29.99 while V is still $39.99. I say just buy both eventually. They're both great.
appletsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 appletsauce
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts

I bought a DS just for Dragon Quest 4, since i'm a long-time fan of the game and disappointed the remake didn't come out on the PSX. But it did on the DS! But I ended up liking 5 more than 4. I had a lot more fun with it, much better story. Strange that I ended up liking it more than my long-time favorite one, but that's how it turned out. Give it a shot.

Avatar image for lex_in_the_moon
lex_in_the_moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 lex_in_the_moon
Member since 2007 • 770 Posts

No doubt in my mind that 5 is better, incredible game. But don't get me wrong 4 is good too.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#11 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
I have reached the end boss of DQIV and I can't be bothered beating it. I found the gameplay pretty good, but a little bit frustrating when I couldn't figure out where to go. Also, the places/names all seem the same to me - unlike FF series.
elpooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 elpooz
Member since 2005 • 5883 Posts

Honestly, DQ 8 on the PS2 is better than both by a few miles. But for the DS, you should just wait for 9, it is going to be epic. If you want one of those two, 5 I guess.

menosdemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 menosdemon
Member since 2009 • 518 Posts

yeah. if you can, try to pick up dq8. its alot better than the other two, and you could probably find it for around 10 bucks at gamestop.

of those two, dq5 is better tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
It doesn't matter which of the two you start with, both are pretty good. Though out of the ones I have played VII is my favorite.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I'm a big fan of DQ IV, but after playing DQ V, I give the edge to that game. Gathering monsters is fun, even if it's random.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Dragon Quest IV was awesome & the extra story & last hidden charecter were done great, though it feels it takes forever for him to level up. Never gotten V yet, need to get off my lazy bum & purchase it... when I have enough funds if it's still avaible till then.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ASK_Story
Also, from what I've played so far, DQV has a much better story.
shogoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shogoh
Member since 2003 • 571 Posts

I'm about 20 hours into DQ IV and I love it. There is grinding but that's to expect from a 1990 JRPG. I also agree with a commenter above that what you need to do next is not always clear. You need to talk to everyone to get some clues. In that respect, it's very similar to the original Final Fantasy on the NES. It's still a very fun RPG for the DS. Dragon Quest V is waiting for me once I'm done with IV. You can't go wrong with either.

Next-Gen-Tec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Next-Gen-Tec
Member since 2009 • 4623 Posts
DQV is better, they improved from DQIV in a lot of ways, and you're always the same character in V.
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

DQV is far superior due to the availability of party chat.

SoulEater30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SoulEater30
Member since 2009 • 339 Posts
VIII or possibly VI. V is better than IV IMO.
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Barbie_Boy
Member since 2009 • 667 Posts
I was also new to the dragon quest and I decided to buy one, I got Dragon Quest V Hand of the Heavenly Bride. after playing it (I am about half the game in) and I cant understand why it got that rating If this is one of the best dragon quest games then I feel sorry for people who like it. the stories is generic and pretty much 100% predictable. Characters, or should I say character since all other "characters" is either monsters (no interesting at all) or they are people who you lose 10 minutes later. during these 10 minutes you learn barley nothing of em (that you care about) and you don't feel emotional attached since they just leave anyway. the main character have no opinion of his own, he just keeps doing what everyone else tell him to do *SPOILER* in the beginning of the game (after the WAY to long prologue) your quest is to collect some special armors and find the legendary hero that can use it, anyway. to get the shield you must do a quest for the noble man who have it. the competition is that someone shall collect the ring of fire and ice and the winner gets to marry his daughter and get a awesome item in the box (the shield) now any GOOD game obvious would do something like this: win it, not marry but ask to at least get the shield OR help someone else win and just ask for the shield. but NO, you MUST marry someone of 3 people. why is this a problem? 1. you barley met ANYONE of the 3 persons before (except 1 but that was for like 1 day) 2 even the main character don't show ANY emotion that he wants to, he just kinda do it because everyone tells him to, ever seen dragon ball? it is like how goku marries chichi but makes even less sense. 3. wasn't he on some kinda of important mission? WHY would he just decide to get married? I know he doesn't stop the adventure but I still feel that he is prioritizing the wrong things(by the way, the marriage don't come as a surprise since the game pretty much tells you it WAY before you come there) what is even worse? he finds out that he is a prince and rightful king to a city and guess what? he is planning on stopping his adventure and settle down, sadly this can not happen since his wife got kidnapped!!! I was SO shocked.... of wait, I wasn't. the guards pretty much said "I hope she doesn't get kidnapped like our last queen hohohoho" I don't care if they worked around how he continue the adventure. why would he stop his mission? obvious it was an important one that he WANTED to finish, and why did he become king? because they told him so and he just kinda went with it. *end of spoiler* and some people call the monster feature "like pokemon" you guys are idiots, I call it "A way writers don't need to write back stories and instead do nothing" there is NO depths in it. they are just another character that you level like it was any other toon. magic in this game sucks to, the healing spell and some support spell are obvious good but attack spells are next to a joke, you MIGHT use some of them to assist taking out a group but a whip can also do that but better. btw, where I am atm the game was nice and threw me 2 level 1 character, **** you to game in the end, the game isn't horrible but it is just mediocre nothing special, nothing new. and I only scraped the surface
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meiaman
Barbieboy, those were the standard set for rpgs decades ago. Warriors on a quest to save the world using XXXXX sword or YYYYY orb to destroy ZZZZZ villiain. Pretty much the standard rpg set for the decade of 80-90. Back on that time people didn't care about characters showig remarkable emotional traits, the standard formula was: -Some villiain is terrorizing a kingdom -Main hero have amnesia/is orphan/misteriouly appeared around/etc with no remarkable traits, but full of heroism, get a party to fight against viliain. -Party is expendable. If someone dies or leave, you only has 1 less person to use on your party. -The main hero ends stronger than everyone. -Main hero fights villiain, use some legendary item to get the edge and win. -Main hero gets a happy ending and go home or marry some princess. This is the standard formula for rpgs at the decade of 80 and the start of the 90s. Games like the earlier final fantasy, dragon quest, secret of mana and others famous rpgs. Nowadays the standard formula is: -Angsty hero with emotional and personal problems figures. -Some girl develop a crush on the hero or vice-versa. -If someone dies, even the player cares. =P -The hero has a weird haircut. -The hero find that someone is trying to harm him or trying to prove wrong what he believes. -The hero finds his purpose and then he set on to defeat his new found archenemy. -hero defeat the archenemy, endings can be both bad or good nowadays.
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Barbie_Boy
my main problem isent the generic story, it is everything around it that I hate and HOW the story process EDIT: people say the story is really good, a generic story with no suprises is NOT a good story, maybe a decent
Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Taylor_B
[QUOTE="Barbie_Boy"]my main problem isent the generic story, it is everything around it that I hate and HOW the story process EDIT: people say the story is really good, a generic story with no suprises is NOT a good story, maybe a decent

What other RPGs have you played that you are comparing this to?
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Barbie_Boy
I dident directly compare it to another game, I played it, the story dident drag me in, the characters wasn't that intressting and the combat included me ordering everyone to basically only use normal attacks, even durring bosses.
Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Taylor_B
I dident directly compare it to another game, I played it, the story dident drag me in, the characters wasn't that intressting and the combat included me ordering everyone to basically only use normal attacks, even durring bosses.Barbie_Boy
That's not really what I asked...what other rpgs have you played?
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Barbie_Boy
the RPG I played and somewhat liked/really liked: final fantasy 1-4, final fantasy 7 (and I dont see it like the best game ever :P it was ok) final fantasy 9, chrono trigger, legend of dragoon, golden sun, super mario RPG. that is what I can remember at the moment Edit: also breath of fire 3
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="Barbie_Boy"]my main problem isent the generic story, it is everything around it that I hate and HOW the story process EDIT: people say the story is really good, a generic story with no suprises is NOT a good story, maybe a decent

You obviously didn't play DQV enough if you think there are no surprises.
danny5329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danny5329
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

I guess Hannah Montana series suits u better Barbieboy.

Taylor_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Taylor_B
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="Barbie_Boy"]my main problem isent the generic story, it is everything around it that I hate and HOW the story process EDIT: people say the story is really good, a generic story with no suprises is NOT a good story, maybe a decent

You obviously didn't play DQV enough if you think there are no surprises.

...yeah. I'm not understanding why he enjoyed the other rpgs he listed, and not DQ5. Hmm. I don't know. Maybe he overall just didn't like (which is totally fine, of course).
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Barbie_Boy
I still play DQ5, like I said: it is mediocre so it is still playable, but I have yet to seen a single uniqe or special thing about it, it gives me no reason to play that game instead of anyother game that I played before.
meiaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 meiaman

I guess Hannah Montana series suits u better Barbieboy.

danny5329
Hahaha, i see your point.
Barbie_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Barbie_Boy
Hannah Montana iz teh best gmae EVA!
LeoGoBezerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LeoGoBezerk
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts

Just finish dqiv and gonna start v. So far i can tell about iv - it's very good game except too much hours spent for killing enemies for expirience and money. And if you ddn't do it - you will just end killing by some boss battles. You know what i mean. :D My final time was 45 hours - pretty good for ds anyway.

flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts

I would just play V. You don't really have to go in order anyway, and V is more interesting and easier to get into.

Sophia
That's good because I'm considering starting off with that one.