Don't you guys think even 32gb of space isn't that great for the Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -

I'm actually not sure how much space games will generally take for the Wii U, but considering that these days other systems have so much more memory, 32gb seems like way too little. My PS3 is 40gb and it got full with like 7 or 8 games. How can they even consider 8gb for the regular version, I guess games definitely don't take up as much space as games for other systems do?

#2 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8571 posts) -
Because it wasn't nintendos intentions on using that to be a digital content buying. They are giving people enough to get by and get a taste of it and allowing them to add their own SD and external harddrives. I already have a 500gb external sitting around but its like 4 years old and kind of bulky so I might get a newer slimmer one to match my wiiu.
#3 Posted by thetravman (3543 posts) -

The Ps3 has you installing lots of data just so you can play a game. That's why 40 Gigs don't seem much. Hopefully the WiiU is not similar to that.

#4 Posted by Jaysonguy (37877 posts) -

It's disgustingly small.

On the other hand it's solid state.

We'll see a bottleneck in the first 2 years, it wont be as bad as the Wii but it's going to be bad.

#5 Posted by Videodogg (12604 posts) -

I think its fine for a start. I will buy retail games mostly and just use the space for DLC. If need more, i will just get anothe SD card or external hard drive.

#6 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

You can use up to a 3 terabyte external harddrive with the Wii U if you want so it isn't going to be a problem.

It would be enough for people that don't download games but you can use any HDD you want or SD card.

#7 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

The Wii U has a disc reading speed of 22.5 mb/s while the PS3 disc reading speed is only 9.5 mb/s. So as you can see that means the Wii U will not have to install every single game. So that means that rather than taking up all those 32 gbs with installs of physical retail games, all that space can instead be used for save files and all of your transfered Wiiware games and Virtural console games.

#8 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

You can use up to a 3 terabyte external harddrive with the Wii U if you want so it isn't going to be a problem.

It would be enough for people that don't download games but you can use any HDD you want or SD card.

Nintendo_Ownes7

From my understanding, that was only a simple example that Reggie gave. Since he said it would take any usb memory storag device and SD card, that pretty means that you could probably go for something even higher than 3 terabytes :P Though I dont see why anyone would need that much space for their Wii U.

#9 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8571 posts) -
Yea the 3 terabytes was just an example. I am sure over the next 5+ years of the wiiu's life 3 terabytes wont seem like much. At least not to people who buy mostly digital content.
#10 Posted by Jaysonguy (37877 posts) -

The Wii U has a disc reading speed of 22.5 mb/s while the PS3 disc reading speed is only 9.5 mb/s. So as you can see that means the Wii U will not have to install every single game. So that means that rather than taking up all those 32 gbs with installs of physical retail games, all that space can instead be used for save files and all of your transfered Wiiware games and Virtural console games.

Gamingclone

Nope, you missed the point

The media for the Wii U is significantly smaller then the PS3, so while the PS3 doesn't need to rely on downloads the minuscule size of the Wii U's media guarantees that you'll need to download a lot in order to keep up on the software side of things.

#11 Posted by Sepewrath (28783 posts) -
The Wii U disc holds just as much data as a bluray, 25GB single layer and 50GB dual layer, with a far greater reading speed, meaning no installs. So in other words, you wont use your built in memory for game installs like you do on the PS3 and 360. Then if you want to download every game, you use external storage, simple, no one will have any trouble with storage unless they want to have trouble. So to answer the topic question, its perfectly fine. How much overall storage your system has is completely dependent upon you.
#12 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
It's fine.
#13 Posted by mariokart64fan (19624 posts) -

looking at the typical size of vc game 3ds ware game , it is more then enough , i still have my wii 2gig sd card w alot of space left lol with alot of vc downloaded to it , and your talking about 32 gigs, its not like xbox360 where im installing music to the system or installing rugrats videos onto it ,

and there probably will be no game installs like on the dreadful ps3 , - so not a problem and i remember 360 giving only 20 gigs of space - 32 gigs is more then enugh plus i have multiple sd cards already and can purchase a external hard drive , and be good for the whole time i own my u , cant say the same for 360 its biggest size is 320 and i already filled a 250 gig

#14 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

Nintendo_Ownes7
Proprietary or universal drives?
#15 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

The disc read speed is much faster than those of the 360/PS3, so you're not going to have as great a need or possibly no need at all to install games to the hard drive. You can also use ANY hard drive or SD card as storage if you download a lot.. So its really a non-issue

#16 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Fightingfan

Proprietary or universal drives?

Universal

#17 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

I can still use my 250 GB external hard drive which has enough space than what is provided on the Deluxe Set.

#18 Posted by OhJayDubya (1172 posts) -
I am planning on getting a external HD anyway, and you can get them for relatively cheap. 32GB is pretty small but there is a high chance due to the type of disks that are being used that there will be no need for installs so that 32GB will last.
#19 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1115 posts) -

I think its fine for game saves and a some downloads. Looking at my buddies "special" Wii portable HDD with 106 games on it and tis only 230ish GBs.

#21 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5987 posts) -
Not going to use it for much except game saves and maybe 1 or 2 game installs depending on how big the game saves are.
#22 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1401 posts) -

Sigh....Hardly anyone installs games to their system. I have a 120 GB 360 Elite and a 250GB Slim. I have only ever installed Halo Reach and thats it. As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U. Now the thing is Nintendo has NEVER had an internal main system Memory before. so 8 GB and 32GB is fine. Remember the 4 GB Xbox 360......8GB Wii U beats that. Plus Flash Memory is much cheaper and BETTER then a Harddrive. Faster loading times and so forth. I would be in a Matchmaking game if I was using the flash style and you would still be at the Loading Game screen with you're Harddrive. Plus everyone has SD cards and USB drives all over their house anyway. Memory wont be an Issue. If you are the type who plans on buying all your games Digitally then use a external harddrive. Nintendo should not have included a say 120 GB one since Nintendo fans dont give a damn lol. Its all the 360/PS3 people who have an issue the memory.

In short 32 GB is plenty for it being Nintendo's 1st time with dedicated memory.

#23 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6037 posts) -

Gamingclone
You know what the speed is on a 360 disc drive?
#24 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6037 posts) -
As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...Master_Of_Fools
Wait, what? Source, please. On topic, I was kinda shocked the first time I saw the two versions' storage capacities. But I figure as long as I continue to buy all my software retail it shouldn't be a problem. I've been needing a new external HDD anyway, if necessary. Which reminds me, does anyone know if you'll be able to partition an external HDD on Wii U the way you can a USB key on 360, or will the drive be entirely formatted for Wii U's use?
#25 Posted by Celsius765 (756 posts) -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate---250GB-External-USB-2.0-Portable-Hard-Drive/9690449.p?id=1218180729662&skuId=9690449do you think this one will do?

#27 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

You know what the speed is on a 360 disc drive?El_Zo1212o

Uh, I believe that is about 15.5mb/s

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate---250GB-External-USB-2.0-Portable-Hard-Drive/9690449.p?id=1218180729662&skuId=9690449do you think this one will do?

Celsius765

yes that should do.

#28 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"] As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...El_Zo1212o
Wait, what? Source, please. On topic, I was kinda shocked the first time I saw the two versions' storage capacities. But I figure as long as I continue to buy all my software retail it shouldn't be a problem. I've been needing a new external HDD anyway, if necessary. Which reminds me, does anyone know if you'll be able to partition an external HDD on Wii U the way you can a USB key on 360, or will the drive be entirely formatted for Wii U's use?

Im not sure, all I know is that the Wii U can use any usb external hdd.

#29 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
I would rather have 32 GB than pay an extra $50 for a 120 GB, let's say. Especially since it's usually cheaper to buy your own external HDD than buying the one that comes with the console (as was the case with 360 and ps3 near launch). I already have some space prepared for the WiiU, if I need it, but I doubt I will.
#30 Posted by Sepewrath (28783 posts) -

^I would say that every time people said the Wii U needed an internal HDD, yet it fell on death ears as people always demanded it have one, despite common sense indicating it would be better to use external storage.Its simply "Me Too" syndrome, wanting what the other systems have, for no reason other than the simple act of having it.

#31 Posted by Blaz3_fox (193 posts) -

It's great that it's SSD, but I'm annoyed it's such a small amount. Nintendo's been pushing digital distribution alongside physical release which is a great idea, but to download 25gb of data to the Wii U memory? It'll fill up with 1 game. That's pretty weak. I'm hoping that we'll be able to remove the SSD and put in a decent sized HDD. I don't care if my load times are a bit longer, I just want a clean looking console with no unnecessary external HDDs all over the place. Regardless, I will be getting a Wii U because the games are what is truly important, but I am a little disappointed; although with all the announcements that are making the Wii U look really, really good, I'm willing to forgive them.

#32 Posted by KnightSkull (1473 posts) -

As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...Master_Of_Fools

You're pulling crap out your ass with that statement. No one from Nintendo, or any 2nd or 3rd parties, have came out and said that.

The WiiU uses a type of blu-ray disc and so if DLC, or any other data, did save onto the discs, the discs would have to be rewritable and that would bring problems with it.

#33 Posted by champofcube15 (1596 posts) -

Well Reggie himself said you can plug up a 3 TB hard drive with no issues. Nintendo didn't want us incurring the price of copious amounts of built-in storage since the prices of storage are constantly dropping. Three years ago, I bought a 250 GB hard drive for $60. For that same price today, I can buy a TB of storage. So I believe that the amount of memory they are including with the system is fine, especially since many have external drives and SD cards just sitting around their home. And even if they don't, it won't cost much to get additional storage.

#34 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1401 posts) -

I dont do the proof or gtfo crap on the internet. It was said like 6 months ago the Wii U discs were a new type of game disc. It pasts Blue Ray discs. I forget if it was Nintendo was tinkering with the idea of DLC onto discs or if they succeded. Im not going to spend hours looking that up. I really should learn to save bookmarks...Either way the new Game Disc type was able to have extras added on a later dates.

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"] As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...El_Zo1212o

#35 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1401 posts) -

I assume you are an American...If so then I have nothing much to say to earths mucus. But 1 thing I swear on my life and my families lifes and my friends lifes and my friends families lifes is this. When it comes to Nintendo, I NEVER MAKE CRAP UP. I never said it was a 3rd party that was talking about it. Screw 3rd parties they can all go bankrupt. Nintendo was either tinkering with the idea or they succeeded. It was talked about back when the rumors of UE4 being on Wii U first popped up. Wii U can easily rewrite the discs. And no it wouldnt bring problems do to the fact that if anyone tried to open it up and mod it so they could change their games then Brick would take over permently breaking the Wii U. As well as DarkCloud1983 on youtube I believe at 1 point said this. And he hasnt been wrong 1 single time involving Wii U news. He leaked the Nintendo Network as the name of the online few months later we see Nintendo reveal it as well as it popping up on 3DS game cases. He said Wii U would have 2 gamepads as its maximum and Nintendo again confirms this after words. As well as numours other things. So when it comes to Nintendo and me and Darkcloud you have a choice. Either BELIEVE WHAT WE TELL YOU NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Or Dont believe us and get proven wrong yet again. You're choice.

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"] As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...KnightSkull

You're pulling crap out your ass with that statement. No one from Nintendo, or any 2nd or 3rd parties, have came out and said that.

The WiiU uses a type of blu-ray disc and so if DLC, or any other data, did save onto the discs, the discs would have to be rewritable and that would bring problems with it.

#36 Posted by champofcube15 (1596 posts) -

Wow. :|

I assume you are an American...If so then I have nothing much to say to earths mucus. But 1 thing I swear on my life and my families lifes and my friends lifes and my friends families lifes is this. When it comes to Nintendo, I NEVER MAKE CRAP UP. I never said it was a 3rd party that was talking about it. Screw 3rd parties they can all go bankrupt. Nintendo was either tinkering with the idea or they succeeded. It was talked about back when the rumors of UE4 being on Wii U first popped up. Wii U can easily rewrite the discs. And no it wouldnt bring problems do to the fact that if anyone tried to open it up and mod it so they could change their games then Brick would take over permently breaking the Wii U. As well as DarkCloud1983 on youtube I believe at 1 point said this. And he hasnt been wrong 1 single time involving Wii U news. He leaked the Nintendo Network as the name of the online few months later we see Nintendo reveal it as well as it popping up on 3DS game cases. He said Wii U would have 2 gamepads as its maximum and Nintendo again confirms this after words. As well as numours other things. So when it comes to Nintendo and me and Darkcloud you have a choice. Either BELIEVE WHAT WE TELL YOU NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Or Dont believe us and get proven wrong yet again. You're choice.

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"] As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...Master_Of_Fools

#37 Posted by KnightSkull (1473 posts) -

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"] As for DLC there is no issue there. DLC saves onto the game discs on Wii U...Master_Of_Fools

Why do you assume I'm American? Plus why hate an entire nation of people just because of where they're from? Do you know all Americans? Dind't think so.

[spoiler] By the way, I'm not American. [/spoiler]

I've read everything Nintendo have said themselves about the WiiU and what they want to do with it, and not once did they mention being able to save DLC (or any other data) onto the discs. If it does turn out that the discs are rewritable that would mean anyone could put data on the discs, or delete data. Just because the discs aren't blu-rays it doesn't mean a slightly modified blu-ray reader on a PC wouldn't work, as that's what the WiiU will most likely use anyway, if not a standard blu-ray reader. Not all modified consoles get bricked because the people that do mod them are normally smart and can get around most things that would brick the console.

If all 3rd party companies went bankrupt there wouldn't be many games, maybe a maximum of 10 new games a year (in a very good year that is). So you really don't want that to happen, right?

I don't take note of rumors, I'll read about them to see what's being said but I never take them seriously because rumors are just that, rumors. I don't know of this DarkCloud1983, nor can I say I care about him, and if he did reveal the Nintendo Network befor it was offically annouced, good for him. There were a lot of people saying 2 game pads would be the max used on the WiiU, so you can't say he was the one to "know" it first.

Believing something just because some random guy on the internet says it's true is never a smart thing to do, as people tend to make up crap all the time.I will continue to read these rumors but wait for Nintendo to make annoucements before I believe anything.

P.S.

You may want to calm down a wee bit ;)

#38 Posted by Vickman178 (866 posts) -

They probably did this to keep costs down and then added the ability to use external HDD's which everybody pretty much has and are really cheap.

You can get a 1TB drive at best buy for $99 last time I checked but I already have one plus my college gives us external drives to use to store stuff for our classes that we get to keep. So this isn't a problem at all.

Not to mention you can put in a 32gb SD HC card. But I mean the external drive solves this problem.

#39 Posted by AlmightyDerek (4144 posts) -

32GB is fine for pretty much all non hardcore gamers and it will last us for a year or two with no problem. Games like New Super Mario Bros U is probably no more than 800MB (New Super Mario Bros 2 was only like 350MB). I've had my 40GB PS3 for 4 years and I'm just now running out of space. I'm sure I'll use my Wii U more than my PS3 but I imagine I'll at least be okay for a year or two and then of course theirs the extra options. I'll use my 16GB SD card from the Wii which will give me 48GB altogether. I think 32GB is fine. There are plenty of people out there who are fine with their 4GB Xbox 360's.

#40 Posted by GameboyTroy (2213 posts) -

If you're running out of space just delete the downloadable games or other stuff that you are not using or get the stuff that people are mentioning in this thread.

#41 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1401 posts) -

Wait and see. Nintendo will obtain world domination. You're lack of faith will ultimatly lead to you and you're family having to die from Nintendo's Ninjas. While some may find that sad I will be glad to dance all over your families graves.

[QUOTE="Master_Of_Fools"]

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

KnightSkull

Why do you assume I'm American? Plus why hate an entire nation of people just because of where they're from? Do you know all Americans? Dind't think so.

[spoiler] By the way, I'm not American. [/spoiler]

I've read everything Nintendo have said themselves about the WiiU and what they want to do with it, and not once did they mention being able to save DLC (or any other data) onto the discs. If it does turn out that the discs are rewritable that would mean anyone could put data on the discs, or delete data. Just because the discs aren't blu-rays it doesn't mean a slightly modified blu-ray reader on a PC wouldn't work, as that's what the WiiU will most likely use anyway, if not a standard blu-ray reader. Not all modified consoles get bricked because the people that do mod them are normally smart and can get around most things that would brick the console.

If all 3rd party companies went bankrupt there wouldn't be many games, maybe a maximum of 10 new games a year (in a very good year that is). So you really don't want that to happen, right?

I don't take note of rumors, I'll read about them to see what's being said but I never take them seriously because rumors are just that, rumors. I don't know of this DarkCloud1983, nor can I say I care about him, and if he did reveal the Nintendo Network befor it was offically annouced, good for him. There were a lot of people saying 2 game pads would be the max used on the WiiU, so you can't say he was the one to "know" it first.

Believing something just because some random guy on the internet says it's true is never a smart thing to do, as people tend to make up crap all the time.I will continue to read these rumors but wait for Nintendo to make annoucements before I believe anything.

P.S.

You may want to calm down a wee bit ;)

#42 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

It's only small if you plan on buying all of your games digitally and you don't have a harddrive. That said, large harddrives are ridiculously cheap these days. A 500GB harddrive can be bought for pretty cheap, and has a multitude of uses outside of just storing game data. For reference, the WiiU's discs allow for 25GB of space. If, by some chance, all of the games you buy would fill up the disc (and most of them won't be coming close), then you still have room for 20 games on a 500GB HDD. More realistically, you'll be getting closer to 50 games on the same HDD.

#43 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7851 posts) -

The Wii U has a better disk drive than the PS3, so I don't think you'll be installing games on it, like the PS3. If you choose to download a game, it will probably be around 10GB(Possibly more for next gen games). Thankfully, the system memory is expandable through external hard drives and SD cards. Honestly, 32GB of built in memory is great. At least from my point of view.

#44 Posted by enrique_marrodz (2107 posts) -

It's disgustingly small.

On the other hand it's solid state.

We'll see a bottleneck in the first 2 years, it wont be as bad as the Wii but it's going to be bad.

Jaysonguy
I don't see why is a bad thing as you can add any xTB HD at any time and are not constrained to use only Nintendo branded accessories. 32GB is actually great if you don't want ton invest a penny beyond the console and games Regards
#45 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

It's compatible with every 3rd party external hard drive, flash drive, and SD card (or so I hear).

That alone makes up for any kind of shortage of internal memory. I've had a 20 GB hard drive for my 360 for 4 years and I haven't had to upgrade or delete anything yet, so this won't be an issue.