Don't Buy SMW Unless You Have a Classic Controller!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -
The game is impossible to use normally with a GC controller. You can do running spin jumps, but not running jumps (well you can, but the button layout makes it impossible). That means you can't jump with Yoshi.

Just a warning. I just ordered a classic controller. Oh well, probably for the better anyways.
#2 Posted by Shirley_Temple (5927 posts) -

B Gamecube=Y in the game right?

and A GC=B

If so I see no problem.  I can hold both buttons down with my thumb and manipulate them fine, but it doesn't matter, my roomate hasn't downloaded another game since SM64 so I play All Stars on my Comp with my 360 controller, feels great.

#3 Posted by fitzokoli (3236 posts) -
The classic controller will definately be better...Its shapped like a Snes controller so i'm sure it'll work really well if not better...I've downloaded Donkey kong and Gunstar heroes so far..i wont downlaod any games that cant use the wiimote till i get a classic controller...The controller should help re-create the nostalgia better for me..
#4 Posted by BobbyBobby85 (10336 posts) -
Or you could use one of those adaptors that let you hook up a PSone controllr to a gamecube/xbox port (they only cost like $12) and they work great. It'd be a great buy too since the Playstation pad was pretty much a rip off of the SNES pad anyways.
#5 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -

and A GC=B

If so I see no problem. I can hold both buttons down with my thumb and manipulate them fine, but it doesn't matter, my roomate hasn't downloaded another game since SM64 so I play All Stars on my Comp with my 360 controller, feels great.

Shirley_Temple
If you can hold down Y (run) and B (normal jump) on a GC controller without touching A (spin jump), then Mister, you're a better man than I.

#6 Posted by lzorro (7395 posts) -
I have no problem :?
#7 Posted by Shirley_Temple (5927 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shirley_Temple"]

and A GC=B

If so I see no problem. I can hold both buttons down with my thumb and manipulate them fine, but it doesn't matter, my roomate hasn't downloaded another game since SM64 so I play All Stars on my Comp with my 360 controller, feels great.

bretthorror

If you can hold down Y and B on a GC controller without touching A, then Mr., you're a better man than I.

I can do it with the mad catz controller easily, but not so well with the Nintendo controllers.

#8 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -
Ahhhh, I have the official controller, as I'm sure most people would.

It's not possible to play a 75 level Mario game with it and get enjoyment out of it. That much I know.
#9 Posted by readymix347 (33 posts) -
yeah, it's pretty awkward with the gc controller.
I think I'll get that classic controller...maybe order those hookups from retrousb.com
#10 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -
yeah, it's pretty awkward with the gc controller.
I think I'll get that classic controller...maybe order those hookups from retrousb.com
readymix347
I actually want those so bad. $25 a piece is extreme though. If it was $25 to hook up all different controllers to it, then yes, I'd buy it.
#11 Posted by Sworddragonbane (45 posts) -
hmm.. controls work fine for me. :D
#12 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -
hmm.. controls work fine for me. :DSworddragonbane
How are you accomplishing a running jump without holding your fingers like a moron? It's just not possible.
#13 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -
Essentially, you're saying you have no problem touching the leftmost gray button and the leftmost red button without touching the green button while holding the controller normally?  Can you take a pic of your thumb? ;)

I'm not being nitpicky here... it's just impossible to play. There's a reason Nintendo made X and Y make Mario run on the SNES, it's because you couldn't possibly hit X and B or Y and A without hitting the other buttons.

#14 Posted by Ranchod94 (404 posts) -
This is interesting.... I'd love to hear how someone could manipulate their fingers in such a way as to play the game comfortably.
#15 Posted by chris3116 (12174 posts) -
I'm glad that I received my CC on a christmas gift.
#16 Posted by Jaysonguy (37499 posts) -
Well all you have to do is keep the right side of your thumb to the left side of the button cluster
#17 Posted by born2runak (413 posts) -
This thread may have been a little more useful YESTERDAY!!! before I downloaded it, and discovered the GC controller sucks. Now I'm forced to buy the classic controller. Damn you Nintendo for not making a more thoughtful SMW control layout on the GC controller
#18 Posted by ZeldaMAN95 (751 posts) -
 can't you also use the Wiimote???
#19 Posted by Jaysonguy (37499 posts) -
can't you also use the Wiimote???
ZeldaMAN95

Nope, GC or CC only
#20 Posted by krystians (3577 posts) -
The classic controller is not very expensive. They are selling it at Futureshop for only $24.99 CND, and the futureshop on Robson street always has some. I think i will invest in the controller, so i start to download some classic games. Any one have a good idea with what i should download first?
#21 Posted by b11051973 (7619 posts) -
I bought the game last night and went straight for my classic controller to play it.
#22 Posted by keveinmay (85 posts) -
I am at bowsers castle using the GC controller and 91% complete. It sucks because I have to hold down the Y button with my index finger and jump with my thumb. My index finger gets tired, but it gets the job done. I will probably beat it today.
#23 Posted by bretthorror (1387 posts) -
I am at bowsers castle using the GC controller and 91% complete. It sucks because I have to hold down the Y button with my index finger and jump with my thumb. My index finger gets tired, but it gets the job done. I will probably beat it today.keveinmay
Yes, it's definitely possible to beat it with the GC controller, but at $8 for the game and such a great game with infinite replayability, you need the Classic Controller, especially if it's a game from your childhood that you will play over and over.
#24 Posted by foola12 (2242 posts) -
I haven't bought anything on the VC yet :lol: