Does anyone else's 3DS do this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

I started noticing this after the April Folders update, but now it is getting to the point where this problem is making the system borderline unusable.

Anyway, here's the gist of the problem: my 3DS's sleep mode is busted. If I put it in Sleep Mode, and leave it there for more than a few minutes (I think five minutes is the max I've managed so far), I can't retrieve my system from the sleep mode. It just won't wake up. It's still on, everything is still functioning. It continues getting StreetPasses, continues getting stuff over SpotPass, drains the battery and dies... but I can't retrieve it from Sleep Mode, and to use it again, I have to long hold the power button, turn it off, and then turn it on again.

The really weird thing is, when the system is in DS/DSi mode (as it was when I was playing Pokemon Black 2, for example), I can literally leave it sleeping for days, and there is no problem; the issue seems to be specific to the 3DS mode.

It's really annoying because you get the most from your 3DS is you don't turn it off, and leave it on to connect with StreetPass and SpotPass; leaving it in the cradle and such, and this completely cripples my system. Hell, playing something like Resident Evil Revelations becomes hard, because I can't just flip the system shut and expect to pick up from where I left off.

Does anyone else's system do this? Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

#2 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4139 posts) -
I'd contact Nintendo.
#3 Posted by Superzone (3713 posts) -
I've never experienced that with mine. Sounds like a very unusual problem. I'd say get a hold of Nintendo and see if you can figure out what's up. I'm sure they will help you out. Best of luck.
#4 Posted by Justinps2hero (2171 posts) -
That my friend is a fault, unfortunately.
#5 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

I haven't experienced this. I'd send it to nintendo, or call them or something.

#6 Posted by ultrabug (3 posts) -
i'm having the exact same problem (3ds xl), and it's not just me. a friend is also having this same problem (regular 3ds). it's driving both of us crazy. neither of us have contacted nintendo yet, we just started looking around to see if there were others having this problem as well. we both noticed it started doing this after "swap note" updated to the latest version. it may have been something else updating, but that's when we both actually noticed it. i plan on looking around some more to see if there are others having this issue, plus i plan on contacting nintendo. if anyone else is experiencing this, please chime in. i'll update if i find anything out.
#7 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -
It seems to have stopped doing this after the latest update a few weeks ago.
#8 Posted by ultrabug (3 posts) -
sadly, that's when ours started doing it. we have the lasted update (ver. 4.5.0-10U), and it's still malfunctioning. i think i'm going to send it in to nintendo to get it fixed. which, by the way, is what i found they recommend. which means they know it's a problem, but it's obviously not completely software related (but must be somewhat related because things were okay before the update), or an update would take care of the issue.
#9 Posted by RiKanKiDD (1058 posts) -

Yeah, getting help from Nintendo is probably the best thing to do when you get problems like this.

#10 Posted by ultrabug (3 posts) -
UPDATE: after some trial and error, i tracked down my problem to a bad install of SWAPNOTE (i believe that version was corrupted and was effecting the operating system somehow). once i uninstalled SWAPNOTE, the problem went away. i have since re-installed SWAPNOTE, and my system is still working normally. i haven't experienced the "non wake up" issue since. this was also the case with my friend's 3ds. once SWAPNOTE was uninstalled, the problem went away. if you're having this problem, try this solution. it may not be what's causing your "non wake up" issue, but it doesn't take long to test, and it's worth a shot. better than sending the unit in if you don't have to.
#11 Posted by Atermi (3 posts) -
UPDATE: after some trial and error, i tracked down my problem to a bad install of SWAPNOTE (i believe that version was corrupted and was effecting the operating system somehow). once i uninstalled SWAPNOTE, the problem went away. i have since re-installed SWAPNOTE, and my system is still working normally. i haven't experienced the "non wake up" issue since. this was also the case with my friend's 3ds. once SWAPNOTE was uninstalled, the problem went away. if you're having this problem, try this solution. it may not be what's causing your "non wake up" issue, but it doesn't take long to test, and it's worth a shot. better than sending the unit in if you don't have to.ultrabug
YOU ARE MY KNIGHT!!! Thanks so much mate! P.S. sorry for the foul forum necromancery
#12 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27891 posts) -

P.S. sorry for the foul forum necromanceryAtermi
Unforgiveable! :evil:

:P