does anyone else feel like Nintendo is going the wrong way with Mario?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by coylenintendo (13713 posts) -

what I mean is Nintendo told us a while ago that they were working on a Mario game for the Wii U and personally, I felt like it would be another big Mario adventure like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. now they're releasing Super Mario 3D World which in my opinion, should have been released for the 3DS. maybe it's just me but I would have preferred another game similar to Sunshine/Galaxy. I'm all for having the New Super Mario Bros. and 3D World games but it just feels as though Nintendo is focusing on releasing the same Mario games now with a few new features instead of releasing more adventure type of Mario games. how does everyone else feel?

#2 Posted by nini200 (9473 posts) -
I'll reserve my judgement for when he game releases and I get to play it. I'm not fond of the cat suit and wouldv'e preferred a Hammer Bros suit again but I'll see what happens when I play it.
#3 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -
hey Coyle Yes I do believe they are going to the Wrong Direction :| the Nintendo Team may have the Rights to Mario but I mean Super Mario 3D World thinking as it has the 3D in the name and so it shoulda been on the 3ds 1st then the WiiU after whatever I dont have any other say in the matter cause I mean they can do what they want with Him. Mario is just a Character in a game. So he will have to deal with it just like the rest of us
#4 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

The thing is, as awesome and successful as the galaxy games were, the NSMB games and 3d land were just more popular.

#5 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -
Absolutely. Nintendo is whoring out Mario to gain some quick sales rather than using him in an innovative way. Super Mario Galaxy was a bright light in an otherwise mediocre franchise of games in the past 5 years. Mario is becoming like Call of Duty and Madden. Maybe even worse.
#6 Posted by rubber-chicken (2066 posts) -
Definitely, they're making a more pick up and play approach as opposed to games with a well-thought story or some kind of developed plot. But then again, we don't really know yet.
#7 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
Mario seemed to be doing really good quality wise around 2006-2010 NSMB for the DS brought back 2D mario Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were amazing and both should be in anyone's top 10 games of last gen. Now it feels like rehashes, NSMB U can't even sell the system.
#8 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7090 posts) -

Definitely, they're making a more pick up and play approach as opposed to games with a well-thought story or some kind of developed plot. But then again, we don't really know yet.rubber-chicken

A well-thought out story in a Mario game. :lol:

#9 Posted by Grieverr (2593 posts) -

Mario seemed to be doing really good quality wise around 2006-2010 NSMB for the DS brought back 2D mario Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were amazing and both should be in anyone's top 10 games of last gen. Now it feels like rehashes, NSMB U can't even sell the system.YoshiYogurt

Well said!

I understand that the Mario 64 formula of a main hub and worlds could use a change. But I do feel that NSMBU and now 3d World are steps backwards in scale. I'd like to see another big world for us to explore. How about an open-world Mushroom Kingdom?

#10 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

It seems like they're still creating quality Mario games, so not really.

#11 Posted by JP_ (12814 posts) -

guys check this out. I found this on youtube 5 minutes ago

IF you dont see the Video Reload the Page a few times

#12 Posted by Grieverr (2593 posts) -

It seems like they're still creating quality Mario games, so not really.

Michael0134567

I disagree (not saying there's a right or wrong, I just have a different opinion). NSMBU is basically the same as it's Wii counterpart, which was basically the same as the DS version. I don't think a high-def DS game is the best way to showcase the WiiU. And after a year on the market, I don't see how another portable remake is the right choice to follow up with.

#13 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22361 posts) -
Outside of NSMB2 the recent mario games have been consistently good
#14 Posted by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -
The Galaxy Games were awesome but I'm sick of the galaxy I would enjoy a sequel to sunshine but, i would really really really just enjoy classic big mario adventure like 64 I would buy that so fast.
#15 Posted by unreal223 (101 posts) -

I thought NSMB U was good. The problem is that its not enough to sustain a system. I haven't touched the wii u much since playing mario, darksiders 2, and batman. I have pc/360/ps3 that are still getting tons of games and wii u hasn't gotten much. This will change but nintendo definitely fumbled the launch of this console. 

I thought Mario 3d on 3ds was fun. As long as the Wii U game is more challenging and has more levels/gameplay styles then I'm going to get it. 

#16 Posted by KBFloYd (12929 posts) -

i dont mind this mario game. it looks like it will be awesome playing with peach or toad to beat a mario game...

smb2 was always my fav on nes.. more than mario 3...

but yes hope we still get a proper 3d mario... if we dont i will be very dissapointed. but ill get over it as long as they make another one ill be fine.

#17 Posted by Sphensen (726 posts) -

it does seem odd they didn't make a Mario simiar to Mario 64, so maybe the new IP is going to do this but with a new character ?

#18 Posted by DarkGamer007 (6024 posts) -

I generally believe that Nintendo is great with making sequels to established IP's feeling new and exciting, but they haven't done that with Mario recently. At this point New Super Mario Bros. feels soulless, and while I'm happy to get Super Mario 3D World, I feel like it would be better suited on the 3DS with a more unique Mario game on the Wii-U. I'm still going to give Super Mario 3D world a fair shake, and it might be amazing, but I feel like Nintendo needs to lay off the standard Mario for a bit. If they are going to do Mario, do something different, even if it is slightly different like New Super Luigi U. Make a game around Princess Peach or Luigi.

#19 Posted by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -
They're going in a direction I don't have any interest in. I won't be so selfish as to call it a wrong direction. The style of games they're making Mario franchise into has a lot of benefits. Linear design and a streamlined interface lend themselves to tight, crisp level design.
#20 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4667 posts) -

The thing is, as awesome and successful as the galaxy games were, the NSMB games and 3d land were just more popular.

goblaa

The sad reality. :( This is the reason why they're releasing 3D World instead of something completely unique and innovative that pushes the Wii U's capabilities, or why they released two NSMB games last year. They know those games sell better and it costs them less money and time to create. They're trying to milk as much as possible in hopes of boosting sales.

I'm sure 3D World would be a great game, but it's really not what I was hoping for.

#21 Posted by TxTech1923 (607 posts) -
Nope, I loved 3D land because it played like a 2d Mario in the 3d world, which I love. I'm glad they're taking it in the direction they are :)
#22 Posted by Sepewrath (28678 posts) -
I'll reserve my judgement for when he game releases and I get to play it. I'm not fond of the cat suit and wouldv'e preferred a Hammer Bros suit again but I'll see what happens when I play it.nini200
Well the Frog Suit is back, so who knows, maybe the old Hammer Bros suit is back as well. As long as the games remain fun, they are going in the right direction.
#23 Posted by Pierst179 (10715 posts) -

I would have been happier if Nintendo went back to produce a more wide-open Mario game, along the lines of 64 and Sunshine, because I feel like going back to style of gameplay would feel really fresh given the fantastic linearity of the Galaxy titles. However, if done right, which is something that Nintendo tends to do with their franchises, IO am sure 3D World will be a lot of fun.

#24 Posted by superbuuman (2607 posts) -

cat mario 3D Land is certainly a step back from Galaxy, & one that I won't be buying..can't blame them tho, they're rushing to get games out. So it will either boost sale of the system or it won't. Either way until they release a better Mario game than Galaxy, I won't be buying. :p

#25 Posted by nini200 (9473 posts) -
[QUOTE="nini200"]I'll reserve my judgement for when he game releases and I get to play it. I'm not fond of the cat suit and wouldv'e preferred a Hammer Bros suit again but I'll see what happens when I play it.Sepewrath
Well the Frog Suit is back, so who knows, maybe the old Hammer Bros suit is back as well. As long as the games remain fun, they are going in the right direction.

True. So I'll reserve my judgement until I play it
#26 Posted by gronk-bonk (1951 posts) -

come on the new mario game doesn't look that bad. Super Mario 3d land was amazing and nothing suggests this won't be as well

#27 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
No I don't believe so. They made a Mario side scrolling platformer for the Wii U, also a Super Luigi side scrolling platformer. So it's only natural they're making a new Mario 3D game for the Wii U.
#28 Posted by hotdiddykong (2047 posts) -

We should wait till the game comes out

In my Opinion, Super Mario 3D World is being Super Mario 3D land's Galaxy 2. Howveer because the original was simplified for a handheld, was confirmed to be rushed, built specifically with the 3D Effect in mind instead of the Fusion concept. The upgrade on 3D World will be much bigger.

Also know that Nintendo takes risk. You wouldnt believe the amount of doubt and backlash they had with Galaxy 2, THEN EVERYTHING CHANGED THE GAME ACTUALLY CAME OUT

#29 Posted by JordanElek (17719 posts) -

Galaxy 2 was so great because it combined the 3D gameplay of 64 and Sunshine with the precision and simplicity of the 2D games. 3D World is doing exactly the same thing.

But I think a big part of what's turning people off from it is that it isn't as pretty as a Galaxy game. The levels we've seen have had a lot of sharp edges and flat running space, and they seem to be missing the beautiful surroundings that the Galaxy games have.

Plus, it feels like we just played 3D Land, even though it's been two years.

I don't think they're going in the wrong direction, though. They're taking 3D Land to the next level, just like they took Galaxy to the next level with its sequel. When they can't progress with this concept any more, they'll come up with something totally new. That's been their strategy since the beginning. I even expect the next NSMB game to be pretty different from NSMBU.

#30 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to Sunshine. It'd be cool to revisit Delfino Island and see how it's changed (plus they could expand the hub world, add more levels, etc.)

EDIT: JordanElek's above comment hit the nail on the head.

#31 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

My problems with recent Mario games is all in the visual and sound departments, so I'm good for the most part. They're still fun, after all.

#32 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3586 posts) -

I'm more inclined to argue that Nintendo has been going the wrong way in general that past 3+ years and is bringing its franchises with it. Maybe the company's in a collective creative rut, is dealing with too many platforms, or just isn't as focused, but Nintendo's offerings just haven't been as mind-blowing as a whole of late. A lot of of Nintendo's most notable games of late have been remakes, nostalgia-fueled, or flat-out uninspired. It's been very evident since the Wii's best days left and as the company made the transition to the 3DS and Wii U, which both have seen some pretty significant software droughts.

Mario has been victimized by this, but I think the Zelda series has gotten it worse to this point. Between OOT3D, Wind Waker HD, and LttP 2, Nintendo seems all too intent on using the past to reinvigorate the series, instead of experimenting with an entirely new take on the series. At least all of Mario's games have been "new" to a greater extent, even if the NSMB name has taken a hit with its last two installments and with 3D World looking like a modest upgrade of the 3DS title moreso than a sparkling-new 3D Mario adventure. I have my concerns, but not exactly with the Mario franchise itself. I just think Nintendo needs to calm down and relocate its magic.

#33 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

I'm more inclined to argue that Nintendo has been going the wrong way in general that past 3+ years and is bringing its franchises with it. Maybe the company's in a collective creative rut, is dealing with too many platforms, or just isn't as focused, but Nintendo's offerings just haven't been as mind-blowing as a whole of late. A lot of of Nintendo's most notable games of late have been remakes, nostalgia-fueled, or flat-out uninspired. It's been very evident since the Wii's best days left and as the company made the transition to the 3DS and Wii U, which both have seen some pretty significant software droughts.

Mario has been victimized by this, but I think the Zelda series has gotten it worse to this point. Between OOT3D, Wind Waker HD, and LttP 2, Nintendo seems all too intent on using the past to reinvigorate the series, instead of experimenting with an entirely new take on the series. At least all of Mario's games have been "new" to a greater extent, even if the NSMB name has taken a hit with its last two installments and with 3D World looking like a modest upgrade of the 3DS title moreso than a sparkling-new 3D Mario adventure. I have my concerns, but not exactly with the Mario franchise itself. I just think Nintendo needs to calm down and relocate its magic.

Madmangamer364

I also think if they insist on using the past, they should at least bring back some of their older franchises that haven't gotten as much attention (FZero, Star Fox). I also wish they wouldn't be so damn stubborn with their Metroid releases... I see no issue with releasing another one in the same vein as Super Metroid (non linear, open ended world, heavy emphasis on exploration, etc.).  I don't mind their reliance on the past much (with WWHD and OoT3D at least it gives new gamers a chance to play the greats) but I think they should do it for all franchises, not just the big ones (Can we please have another Kirby game where you can mix any and all abilities? Please??)

#34 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

come on the new mario game doesn't look that bad. Super Mario 3d land was amazing and nothing suggests this won't be as well

gronk-bonk
The problem with the "NEW" and "3D" series games are that we've already had tons of 2D/Half-2Dish games since the original NSMB for DS. They last few ones feel like level packs, not the high quality adventures that the Galaxy games felt like.
#35 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Well, it's disappointing to me that the 3D titles are abandoning the exploration-based and open-ended formula of SM64 more and more.

While SM64's approach might not have been in accordance with the former conventions of the genre, it was also an evolution of it.

I don't think they need to go back to the "sidescroller roots" with the 3D games which, imo, should be more about the exploration and adventuring.

Likewise, the 2D titles have started to feel far too similar to each other, having just marginal visual and gameplay improvements.

This is opposite to the 2D games on the old systems (i.e. NES, SNES, GB) which all felt unique and fresh.

While they may still be fun and well made games, I don't think many will remember them as fondly as the old games and will be seen as just "another" Mario game rather than timeless classics people will fondly come back to.

For example I can see NSMB2 being quickly forgotten while there is a reason people still fondly remember SML2 on the monochrome GB.

#36 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

While I feel that the recent 2D titles are more of the same with various gimmicks in them, I do not see them as going the "wrong" way for the Mario franchise. People are buying the games and I wish that can be said about the 3D games.

#37 Posted by Josh5890 (1012 posts) -

Every video I see for 3D World makes me think it belongs on the 3DS. I'm sure it will be a fun game but the Wii-U has to be capable of alot more than just a 2.5D game.

#38 Posted by Chozofication (2727 posts) -

I wonder if a lot of people even played Super Mario Galaxy 2.  It was just really good DLC, and a lot of it was just there for a challenge.  It's like the ultimate dlc for the original, so saying the original is better doesn't really sound right.

But it is, it was waaay better.  Night and day better.  But if there was no galaxy 2 we wouldn't have the complete package either, Galaxy 2 is still pretty good.

Anyways, yes they're milking Mario to death.  Not all is lost because it seems like 3D world is just there until they have made something really special like the original galaxy.  I heard the galaxy team isn't making 3D world, or if they are it's not taking up a lot of resources.  Might also be there so the team can get used to HD development like the Zelda team.

The real issue here is Nintendo has just taken way too long to adjust to new development technique's and have missed to boat to really wow people.  They will still wow people, but it won't be until after the PS4's out and running.

...Please understand!  :P

#39 Posted by MrDziekuje (7730 posts) -

I can definitely see disappointment some people may with with Ninty going for a SM3DL sequel instead of a big vastly different 3D successor. I even felt a twinge of it myself when I saw the first trailer. But honestly, 3D Land was a fantastic game and for them to add all sorts of things to that, including multiplayer, that seems like a recipe for a solid game to me. I won't turn away a fun experience.

#40 Posted by MrDziekuje (7730 posts) -

Every video I see for 3D World makes me think it belongs on the 3DS. I'm sure it will be a fun game but the Wii-U has to be capable of alot more than just a 2.5D game.

Josh5890

There's nothing 2.5D about 3D World. This isn't New Super Mario Bros.

#41 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22361 posts) -

Madmangamer364

Not really , Nintendo trys new things with their franchises all the time (ie. Skyward sword)

problem is sometimes these changes aren't well recieved so they go back to the basics (Lttp2) But ofcourse even when they do that they still have "fans" throwing fits

And don't even try to tell me that Nintendo hasnt made any excellent games over the past 3 years, thats a bold faced lie and you know it. This year alone we saw a great Fire emblem, a follow up to Luigi's mansion, and the best Animal crossing game in the series

#42 Posted by ssj_neo (162 posts) -

Nintendo needs a mario game that shows off the gamepad the way that mario 64 showed of the n64 controller. Not saying that this one doesn't but it needs to be something unique aswell and it needed to be near launch as well. Nintendo should've been thinking about that mario game 2-3 years ago along side wii u Development. To see this was really disapointing but I'll still reserve judgement until I finally play it. It just didn't have the wow factor of when they showed of mario 64 and the galaxy games. People thought nintendo were working on the top secret megaton mario game and nintendo  showed this instead. At this point it seems like nintendo has no idea to make use of the second screen.

Atleast Mario kart looks good.

#43 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3586 posts) -

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Shinobishyguy

Not really , Nintendo trys new things with their franchises all the time (ie. Skyward sword)

problem is sometimes these changes aren't well recieved so they go back to the basics (Lttp2) But ofcourse even when they do that they still have "fans" throwing fits

And don't even try to tell me that Nintendo hasnt made any excellent games over the past 3 years, thats a bold faced lie and you know it. This year alone we saw a great Fire emblem, a follow up to Luigi's mansion, and the best Animal crossing game in the series

Skyward Sword is an exception to the list, and given that it was probably in development for years prior to its release, it's not saying that much in regards to Nintendo's recent status. If Nintendo is going to continue with its current approach, it's going to eventually be met with backlash anyway. The New Super Mario Bros. brand is a perfect example. With the DS and Wii titles, they were beloved because of their "back to basics" approach, but the success of those games probably became more of a crutch when it came to the 3DS/Wii U installments, and didn't have the same inspiration behind them. At the end of the day, Nintendo's objective should be making sure its games continue to provide fresh, best-as-possible gaming experiences, not pander to whatever requests fans may make in any particular direction. Anyone that knows Nintendo and how it operates should be totally aware of this, including Nintendo itself.

Also, I haven't said that Nintendo hasn't made any quality games of late. I could argue the "excellent" part, but not only is that subjective, I haven't played any of those games to begin with to make a strong enough assessment of that anyways. Even so, still doesn't change the way Nintendo has handled its franchises recently, nor does it provide a convincing enough of a point to where I'm inclined to feel more comfortable about the company's direction, especially when I'm not the only one that's seeing what's going on with the likes of Mario and Zelda.

#44 Posted by XplicitVibe (28 posts) -
I don't find Mario 3D world to be interesting.. but I wont really know until I try it myself. However I do find Sonic lost world to be interesting.
#46 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Madmangamer364

Skyward Sword is an exception to the list, and given that it was probably in development for years prior to its release, it's not saying that much in regards to Nintendo's recent status. If Nintendo is going to continue with its current approach, it's going to eventually be met with backlash anyway. The New Super Mario Bros. brand is a perfect example. With the DS and Wii titles, they were beloved because of their "back to basics" approach, but the success of those games probably became more of a crutch when it came to the 3DS/Wii U installments, and didn't have the same inspiration behind them. At the end of the day, Nintendo's objective should be making sure its games continue to provide fresh, best-as-possible gaming experiences, not pander to whatever requests fans may make in any particular direction. Anyone that knows Nintendo and how it operates should be totally aware of this, including Nintendo itself.

Also, I haven't said that Nintendo hasn't made any quality games of late. I could argue the "excellent" part, but not only is that subjective, I haven't played any of those games to begin with to make a strong enough assessment of that anyways. Even so, still doesn't change the way Nintendo has handled its franchises recently, nor does it provide a convincing enough of a point to where I'm inclined to feel more comfortable about the company's direction, especially when I'm not the only one that's seeing what's going on with the likes of Mario and Zelda.

lttp2 actually fits that ds/wii mario analogy, it's been years since we've had a classic top down zelda. If anything it's welcome (plus that style if zelda fits handhelds like a glove)

#47 Posted by Randolph (10426 posts) -

I'll say this... Mario 3D World looks like it will be super fun.  Mario 3D Land is super fun, and this seems to be essentially running on the same engine upscaled to HD with more content.  But that is also the problem, it seems to be running on the same engine and has the same scale as a handheld game.  But it's not on a handheld.  That's a problem.  When it comes to Mario games on console Nintendo set the bar at "PHWOAAAAAARRRRRR!!!!11! Mind Blowing Awesome" with Mario Galaxy.

Their just isn't any way for me to think about the SMG games, look at video of Mario 3D World, and not feel completely dissapointed with the direction they are taking the console games in.  The scope and scale is just so much smaller and restricted, and when I first saw screens I thought "oh hey another 3DS Mario game cool, now when are they showing that new Wii U Mario game??".  You can imagine how let down I was to find out that WAS that Wii U Mario game.

You can't go from Mario Galaxy to that and not expect people to see it as a downgrade, and a severe one at that.  Why bother releasing a new HD console, if you were just going to turn around and use it to up-rez GC games and release handheld game expansions?  It's just... such a complete waste of potential.

#48 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2737 posts) -
Itll be awesome anyway
#49 Posted by Lambent7 (926 posts) -

Sonic Lost World seems to be doing everything that Mario these days isn't....so I will be buying that instead of Cat 3D Mario Land. Seriously, Mario is really starting to feel like COD for me and that not a good sign.

#50 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -
The multiplayer in Galaxy was such an afterthought, so it's impressive to me to see Nintendo step up in that region big time for 3D World. I knew Nintendo probably wasn't going to do a Galaxy 3, because they like to switch things up a lot with the 3D series. I was impressed with the reveal of 4 player in a 3D Mario; I did not expect that at all. I think the stages will probably be on par with the cool design found in Mario Galaxy and 3D Land, so I'm not too worried.