Does anybody else miss F-Zero? What happened?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Helitons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Helitons
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

I've spent hours and hours playing F-Zero and always dreaming how the next game for the next console would be. I've played on Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Game Cube. What happened to F-Zero for the Wii. Come on Nintendo, your are going to be very successful. Please, start working on the great exclusive that you have!!!

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 blaaksheep
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

@Helitons: i was think this the other day. F-Zero would be a great way to show off great textures and graphics. it seems a great fit for motion control aswell

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19551 Posts

F-Zero GX was fantastic, and I'm disappointed that the series has basically been left by the wayside while Mario Kart keeps hogging the racing-game spotlight.

I can't think of any WiiU specific features a new game could have (maybe a cockpit view on the gamepad, to make each racer seem more unique?), but I'd still love to see a new one.

b4il

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 b4il
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

yes.

but i'm pretty excited about fast racing neo, it could be a great f-zero clone.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#5 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I consider F-Zero GX to be the finest racing game I have ever played on a Nintendo platform.

I desperately look forward to the day Nintendo will release a brand new F-Zero with online play and a track editor.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Miyamoto has said that they are aware of people wanting F-Zero and Starfox. But Nintendo refuses to let anyone outside of Nintendo do it. And they currently have no ideas for how to innovate them...so its just sitting there...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

still waiting for a game as amazing to look, fast to play, and with as awesome track design as GX, but with a soundtrack as kickass as X.

come on nintendo, i'd pay premium for something like that.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

To think that it has been a decade since the last F-Zero game. I really hope to see at least an announcement for a new F-Zero game during E3. A confirmation that F-Zero is still relevant in Nintendo's eyes outside of Smash Bros.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#9 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Well there's a lot of reasons, we haven't seen a new installment. One, the last one on the GC didn't sell that well and in the business of games, companies don't want to make things unless they turn a profit. Supposedly that's the same story with Starfox right now. Also this is where Iwata probably needs to stop letting Miyamoto dictate everything because allegedly Miyamoto didn't want to make any more Fzero games and didn't like what Sega did with the GC game. And said "well what else could we do to expand it?" But they forget that most gamers would be content with just an HD Fzero with online play and maybe tone the difficulty back a hair, like make it possible to win the story mode on your own. But this is where Iwata needs to say to Miyamoto. "No! I'm the boss. This is what we're going to do." Supposedly Miyamoto was against some of the design decisions but they didn't listen to him and look how good it turned out.

Some have hope though given Nintendoland had an Fzero themed racing game and it's a safe bet that Capt. Falcon will return for Smash Bros. They really should hand it off to another studio and not be so afraid. Capcom made some great handheld Zelda games on the GBC and GBA. Retro's done wonders with Metroid and Donkey Kong Country and supposedly Monolith Soft helped on this new Zelda.

But here's the thing, you can talk on forums like this till your blue in the face. Want Nintendo to listen? There's 2 places to go where you're more likely to be heard.

1) The Miiverse. If you have a WiiU, start Fzero forums on the Miiverse. Remember how long everyone begged for Earthbound and if was because of the insane amount of Miiverse posts, they finally made it available? Why aren't we doing this for more stuff?

2) Club Nintendo: even if you don't buy enough Nintendo stuff to justify it. They're more likely to listen to customers who fill out those surveys and offer suggestions via their website.

I can't guarantee this will do anything but you're more likely to be heard there than here.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@BrunoBRS said:

still waiting for a game as amazing to look, fast to play, and with as awesome track design as GX, but with a soundtrack as kickass as X.

come on nintendo, i'd pay premium for something like that.

Agreed 100%. This is what I'm waiting on as well.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#11  Edited By Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

God, I want to experience F-Zero again so badly that I wouldn't mind if they just made "F-Zero GX HD" on the Wii U. That game blew me away with the graphics, fast racing, and amazing soundtrack.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Indeed. GX was one of my favourite GC games, and one of my favourite racing games. I feel that Nintendo has a perfect combination of games, only if they freaking use what they have. Mario Kart is the perfect party racing game. F-Zero would be a perfect complement. Not sure how much GX sold, but I guess it wasn't good..

Also, where the **** is Metroid?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@kbaily said:

Well there's a lot of reasons, we haven't seen a new installment. One, the last one on the GC didn't sell that well and in the business of games, companies don't want to make things unless they turn a profit. Supposedly that's the same story with Starfox right now.

This is true, but I don't lay the fault at the consumer's feet in this case. Nintendo fails to aggressively market and push their product hard, and this is a HUGE issue that has plagued them lately over the past few years. This is why their conservatism is killing them, and one reason I think Iwata needs to be replaced: they want all this gain without having to spend any money. Nintendo has all these golden IPs, yet they don't make them because they "don't sell".

It's not just because they don't market; they also fail to produce and maintain a steady stream of software for their console to create and maintain momentum to keep it alive and people interested and enthusiastic so when they DO finally market it, people are paying attention. They instead release their hardware, ignore it for months letting it sit dead in the water with no support, in the meantime gaining all this negative press, and then throw out a game here and there........and it's the consumer's fault that they don't sell?? Big fucking surprise. Why should consumers care for a product when the company who makes it apparently doesn't?

F-zero, Starfox, Metroid (all brilliant series) don't sell not because they're badly made games or because there's no gamer interest, it's simply because Nintendo mismanages them before and after they're put to market. I'm 100% convinced that if those IPs can't make any money, then none can. I believe if they were in the hands of Sony or MS they could easily make a decent profit. Advertising and being very aggressive with a product is just as vital as producing it, if not more so, and Nintendo needs to learn this. I always mention Apple as a comparison.....they truly understand and utilize the power of advertising.

This post isn't addressed at you btw, just a general observation from what you said.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7204 Posts

Making a new F-Zero would be like doing a sequel to Citizen Kane. From a gameplay perspective, it was perfect and any changes or "innovations" they make would just mess it up. They should make another Excite Bots instead. That game was great but left some room for improvement.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@kbaily said:

Well there's a lot of reasons, we haven't seen a new installment. One, the last one on the GC didn't sell that well and in the business of games, companies don't want to make things unless they turn a profit. Supposedly that's the same story with Starfox right now.

This is true, but I don't lay the fault at the consumer's feet in this case. Nintendo fails to aggressively market and push their product hard, and this is a HUGE issue that has plagued them lately over the past few years. This is why their conservatism is killing them, and one reason I think Iwata needs to be replaced: they want all this gain without having to spend any money. Nintendo has all these golden IPs, yet they don't make them because they "don't sell".

F-zero, Starfox, Metroid (all brilliant series) don't sell not because they're badly made games or because there's no gamer interest, it's simply because Nintendo mismanages them before and after they're put to market. I'm 100% convinced that if those IPs can't make any money, then none can. I believe if they were in the hands of Sony or MS they could easily make a decent profit. Advertising and being very aggressive with a product is just as vital as producing it, if not more so, and Nintendo needs to learn this. I always mention Apple as a comparison.....they truly understand and utilize the power of advertising.

This post isn't addressed at you btw, just a general observation from what you said.

While I wouldn't blame consumers for a product not selling in most cases, I also don't think it's strictly a marketing issue, either. The fact of the matter is that games, much like any other product, have ceilings relating to the amount of people they can appeal to, and those ceilings are not all equal. I think Nintendo has an understanding that not all of its IPs are as safe to use as the likes of Mario and Pokemon, and handles those IPs accordingly. Still, that doesn't mean that Nintendo can't and won't take chances here and there. If that was the case, we certainly wouldn't have seen IPs like Sin & Punishment, Punch-Out, or Kid Icarus make returns in the past years. Nevertheless, I don't think it's unreasonable for Nintendo or anyone else to exercise some caution, especially with franchises that have clearly struggled in the past decade or so.

In the case of F-Zero, not only did GX struggle to sell on GameCube, but the GBA game GP Legend did even worse... and that game had an anime series to accompany its release as well. While that doesn't mean that Nintendo still couldn't have done a poor job handling the series, I think it's much easier to say that the series isn't becoming Nintendo's next super-hit in our lifetime. The notion that if F-Zero, Starfox, and Metroid can't generate revenue, none can is pretty farfetched, especially since when you consider that producing the kind of game that fans would expect would also be significantly more expensive now than they were during the GCN/Wii days. And no matter how hard Nintendo pushes the games, we can all be certain that they wouldn't reach the type of commercial success that Nintendo's top games typically do, assuming that they have what would be considered "success" at all.

There's a reason why we see the games that we most often do in today's video game world, and while Nintendo's offerings may appeal to a different crowd in general cases, their approach isn't that unorthodox compared to the rest of the industry when it comes to using its brands. And yes, while Nintendo has done a sad job of keeping some consumers interested in their products in recent years, it alone still doesn't explain the huge gap in commercial success between series like Mario, which actually grew during the DS/Wii era and something like Metroid, which has struggled to stay a relevant franchise since its revival.

Anyways, just my two cents on what was looking like an interesting discussion. :P