Does any1 here walk with their 3ds?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by thriftymutt (315 posts) -

I love the walking feature they put on the 3ds it gets u up and goin in the morning! Of course I walk a lot anyways! Just wondering if u guys like or dislike the fact that u must walk 1,000 steps a day to get 10 coins or if u sit on the couch and repeatedly shake ur 3ds? Also just wondering how often u might get a streetpass tag? I never get them cuz I usually don't have the wifi on and I'm too scared to bring my $200 3ds into public places I guess I'm just paranoid lol! =)

#2 Posted by hyperjj3000 (973 posts) -
I usually just sit and shake mine, i dont want to take mine outside in case i lose it.
#3 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

I keep my 3DS on me nearly 100% of the time--as much to keep track of my steps as anything else. I have bought pedometers from time to time but always lost them but the 3DS is a bit expensive for that so it works really well for me. A thousand steps is about a half mile or so. Even if you sit in a chair at home all day, you'll get close to it just getting up and going to the fridge or whatever. I have a thousand steps before I get to work in the morning. The big issue for me is that you can only have up to 300 coins. I am pretty much always at the limit.

I wish more people carried around their 3DSs. I live in a big city and get a street pass every couple days if I'm lucky--and, like I said, I have my 3DS w/ me basically always. I was in Tokyo a few months ago and you'd get a good half dozen just walking into most train stations at a busy time. It was a lot more fun w/ all those people using it. I got more street passes some days in Tokyo than I do in a year in the US, though I've noticed it's picked up since this last Chirstmas.

#4 Posted by EyeShatteredSky (1510 posts) -

I just got my XL a week ago and I've already gotten into the habit of carrying it around with me anywhere I go. I was already partial to taking daily walks/runs, but obtaining those little player coins is admittedly a nice incentive all the same.

#5 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -

nah i just shake it

#6 Posted by Justinps2hero (2162 posts) -
Here & there, but don't really get the coin thing, its just not that useful.
#7 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4704 posts) -

I wish more people carried around their 3DSs.

logicalfrank

This.

I live in New York City and the only time I surpassed 5 passes in a day is when I visited the Nintendo World Store.

#8 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

I brought mine to Youmacon and passed hundreds of people. My brother has a 3DS so we streetpass constantly.

#9 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
Here & there, but don't really get the coin thing, its just not that useful.Justinps2hero
It'd be more useful if it wasn't limited to TEN ***ING coins a day. Pokemon Dream radar, Kid Icarus, and the mii plaza make heavy use of the coins and 10 a day is BS. OH stop exercising now you've got 10. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
#10 Posted by benleslie5 (7773 posts) -

I'm pretty much out of the house most of the time and do take my 3DS with me, if I'm at work or hanging out with my friends on the Saturdays. Best place to get streetpass is when it comes to Anime conventions or meet-ups

#11 Posted by wraith-squad66 (1368 posts) -

i only put it in my bag and turn it on sleep mode when i know im going to an area with a high volume of people. (Such as a mall in the city or a convention)

#12 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

I bring mine to class with me and just keep it in my backpack. I get several thousand steps walking across campus and every now and then I'll get a street pass, but more often than not my roommate is the only person I tag.

#13 Posted by Yoweeh (3025 posts) -

I walk with mine. c:

Mine has a clear case on it, which I put inside another case, which I put in a ziploc bag in my purse. I get the same two StreetPasses every day at school. I took it with me to the mall once and I was surprised to get 7 StreetPasses that day (this is recently!). I usually shake it if I'm not walking around with my purse that day.

#14 Posted by chronos2013 (18 posts) -
The only time I have ever seen the 3DS used in public was 2 kids playing it on the train.
#15 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8212 posts) -
I used to carry my xl in my pocket. But I think it squeezed the screens together to much caused alittle scratching.
#16 Posted by V3rciS (2213 posts) -

I think if you'll just shake it slightly for a few mins you'll get plenty of steps registered. I'm also kinda old for the average 3DS user so not many friends to use street pass etc...

#17 Posted by Moloch121 (677 posts) -

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

I wish more people carried around their 3DSs.

ANIMEguy10034

This.

I live in New York City and the only time I surpassed 5 passes in a day is when I visited the Nintendo World Store.

Seriously? I live in New York too. I go to my friends house in Brooklyn and I streetpass with like 20 people. I walk around in my area in Queens and that is 10 people. Manhattan even more!
#18 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4704 posts) -

Seriously? I live in New York too. I go to my friends house in Brooklyn and I streetpass with like 20 people. I walk around in my area in Queens and that is 10 people. Manhattan even more! Moloch121
Maybe I'm really unlucky? :P
I walk by 3 schools every morning, pass by Times Square most afternoons, and visit Madison Square Garden occasionally, and I still get 0-3 passes.

#19 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
I put mine in my bag when I go to college, I usually streetpass a couple people and get my ten coins.
#20 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

[QUOTE="Moloch121"] Seriously? I live in New York too. I go to my friends house in Brooklyn and I streetpass with like 20 people. I walk around in my area in Queens and that is 10 people. Manhattan even more! ANIMEguy10034

I walk by 3 schools every morning, pass by Times Square most afternoons, and visit Madison Square Garden occasionally, and I still get 0-3 passes.

Visited NYC for 3 days only only got like 5 or so passes.....
#21 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

[QUOTE="Moloch121"] Seriously? I live in New York too. I go to my friends house in Brooklyn and I streetpass with like 20 people. I walk around in my area in Queens and that is 10 people. Manhattan even more! ANIMEguy10034

Stupid question, but how can you actually live in NYC? Do you live in an apartment or what? Where are the schools? Do you walk everywhere?
#22 Posted by Moloch121 (677 posts) -

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

[QUOTE="Moloch121"] Seriously? I live in New York too. I go to my friends house in Brooklyn and I streetpass with like 20 people. I walk around in my area in Queens and that is 10 people. Manhattan even more! YoshiYogurt

Stupid question, but how can you actually live in NYC? Do you live in an apartment or what? Where are the schools? Do you walk everywhere?

New York City is made up of 5 political entities which are called "boroughs". The five boroughs of New York City are: Brooklyn, The Bronx, Staten Island, Queens and MANHATTAN. There are schools, houses, apartments and anything else a typical city has just imagine a lot more apartments.

manhattan-skyline-new-york.jpg

#23 Posted by moltenix (2485 posts) -

I bring my 3DS to school everyday.

I've gotten over 1300 streetpass tags to date. Pretty much all of them are from other students around campus. Outside of campus though, streetpass activity is pretty much dead.

One of the things I kinda like is tracking how many steps I take each day of the week. I don't know how accurate it is but it seems to work well. On days where I have more classes and have to walk more to get around, I get a lot more steps. On other days where I have fewer classes with long breaks inbetween, i'm usually just sitting around and I get less steps in.

#24 Posted by thriftymutt (315 posts) -

Wow a lot of posts and almost every1 walks w/ it! Although to tell the truth u probly get more exercise shaking it lol! I think its a great idea but I agree it should let u get like 10k steps a day! Although u may get robbed. Oh well anyways ya w/ all the games one could own 1k is too little. :twisted:

#25 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -
I usually just sit and shake mine, i dont want to take mine outside in case i lose it.hyperjj3000
...But if you shake it too much it could cause damage to the system. I'd rather just walk.
#26 Posted by TheTolemac (82 posts) -
One of the main reasons I hesitate buying one. Until they have an all black version I am doubting I would bring it out in public.
#27 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -
...But there is a pretty much all black version... It has a gray bottom but who the **** cares? :|
#28 Posted by darksongbird (1234 posts) -

I used to take my 3DS places sometimes but now it just stays home.

#29 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

Yes, yes I do walk around with my 3DS. But I think it's rather a jeap that it gives you only 10 coins a day. They should go a little more the distance, to help promote physical acitivity while apose to people just sitting around on their butts getting fat & lazy.

#30 Posted by Kenny789 (10215 posts) -
I always take it with me wherever I go :)
#31 Posted by rubber-chicken (2067 posts) -
Yeah sometimes my 3DS barks a lot so I put on its leash and we go for a nice walk.
#32 Posted by spike6958 (4707 posts) -
I used to for the first few months when there was nothing else to play on it apart from the coin mini games, but now I leave it in the charger cradle when I'm not playing on it.
#33 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Of course! I love streetpass!