Do you prefer the typical Kirby games or the atypical Kirby games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

Typical: Return to Dream Land, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, etc.

Atypical: Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, etc.

Personally, I prefer the atypical Kirbys. You?

#2 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
There are only 3 good Kirby games: Tilt n' Tumble, The Crystal Shards and Epic Yarn. Do you consider Kirby 64 a typical Kirby? If so, it's 2 against 1, atypical Kirby games win!
#3 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

There are only 3 good Kirby games: Tilt n' Tumble, The Crystal Shards and Epic Yarn. Do you consider Kirby 64 a typical Kirby? If so, it's 2 against 1, atypical Kirby games win!Rod90

Crystal Shards would be "typical", but I always thought everyone believed Super Star to be the best "typical" Kirby, and plenty thinking it to be the best Kirby.

#4 Posted by Bangerman15 (1976 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rod90"]There are only 3 good Kirby games: Tilt n' Tumble, The Crystal Shards and Epic Yarn. Do you consider Kirby 64 a typical Kirby? If so, it's 2 against 1, atypical Kirby games win!

wtf? have u not played kirby superstar?? that's like the best kirby game
#5 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

I don't have a preference I suppose. Nightmare in Dreamland is one of my favorite platformers (although it's too short and obviously easy) but Kirby's Airride is one of my favorite GC games. That's a game that I'd like to see a sequel for because the original had a lot of potential, it just needed some tweeks and balancing and I thought it would have been a good series eventually.

#6 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
I have never played a Kirby game other than that golf thing on SNES
#7 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -
I prefer the typical Kriby games. But there are some good Atypical games too.
#8 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

I think I like the typical games more, but that's because the only atypical one I've played is Mass Attack and I found it to be a mixed bag. I realy want to play Epic Yarn. Will buy it, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Muramasa in the near future, and maybe a few others.

#10 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3588 posts) -

The typical ones. Super Star Ultra and Return to Dreamland are two of my favorite games this gen, and Kirby's Adventure and Kirby 64 are also memorable to me. That said, I'm also very fond of Epic Yarn, Canvas Curse, and to a lesser extent, Mass Attack as far as atypical games go. It's just that the conventional Kirby formula has proven itself to be rock-solid of late.

#11 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

So Epic Yarn is atypical just because of the art-style?

I think the "atypical" ones are those who don't play like the typical Kirby platfromers (i.e. Dream Course, the pinball games, ect.).

#12 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rod90"]There are only 3 good Kirby games: Tilt n' Tumble, The Crystal Shards and Epic Yarn. Do you consider Kirby 64 a typical Kirby? If so, it's 2 against 1, atypical Kirby games win!Bangerman15
wtf? have u not played kirby superstar?? that's like the best kirby game

I concur.

There's actually a re-release in the form of Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS.

I liked Dream Land 3 too tho.

#13 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

If you mean "main series" and "spinoffs"

Ofcourse ppl prefer the main series.

Duh!

#14 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

I think the "atypical" ones are those who don't play like the typical Kirby platfromers (i.e. Dream Course, the pinball games, ect.).

nameless12345

It plays differently in some ways than other Kirby games. You aren't copying enemies at all. Instead you're actually attacking them, changing shape, and manipulating the background. I'd say it's different enough to be considered atypical, but I could see it go either way here.

#15 Posted by nini200 (9587 posts) -
Atypical simply because of Kirby's Dream Course. That hands down is the Best Kirby game ever that also included a very fun multiplayer as well as it really used the kirby abilities better and more original than any other Kirby title and is the most deserving Kirby title that merits a sequel. Kirby's Dream Course was perfect.

Super Star comes in a close second as it was a great typical Kirby title with great platforming elements but it just didn't have the fun factor of Dream Course.

Air ride was pretty fun too but as someone else mentioned, it needs some tweaks here and there and it can be a very good title and could introduce some really interesting ideas to the franchise. What was that cloud riding Kirby game called on DS that you draw the line on the screen and Kirby follows it called? I thought that was an interesting concept but could've been implemented better.
#16 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
Atypical is way better. I've had more fun with Mass Attack, Canvas Curse, and Epic Yarn more than any traditional Kirby.
#17 Posted by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -
The typical ones in general, but I enjoyed Epic Yarn more than any of the others.
#18 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Atypical is way better. I've had more fun with Mass Attack, Canvas Curse, and Epic Yarn more than any traditional Kirby.OreoMilkshake

Mass Attack wasn't "atypical".it was in the main series.

#19 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Atypical is way better. I've had more fun with Mass Attack, Canvas Curse, and Epic Yarn more than any traditional Kirby.GreekGameManiac

Mass Attack wasn't "atypical".it was in the main series.

A typical Kirby game is one where Kirby uses his copy ability. Mass Attack is not that.
#20 Posted by Subtle_Ninja_X (35 posts) -
That's an easy one! The typical traditional Kirby games are where my allegiance resides! I was a 90's child though so the typical Kirby games offer up a heap of nostalgia for me.
#21 Posted by Jaysonguy (37553 posts) -

nameless12345

Epic Yarn wasn't a kirby game, it was another character's game that Kirby was put into last second.

#22 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

I heart Canvas Curse

#23 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I voted Typical Kirby game.

Because the only Kirby games I ever played were: Kirby's Dreamland, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby Super Star Ultra, and Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.

#24 Posted by Subtle_Ninja_X (35 posts) -
I'm just gonna make the call: Kirby Superstar = One of the best games ever made
#25 Posted by goblaa (19304 posts) -

Kirby's Dream Course is addictive as hell.

#26 Posted by nini200 (9587 posts) -

Kirby's Dream Course is addictive as hell.

goblaa
as well as the Best Kirby Game ever made. Superstar comes 2nd
#27 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
I like both, and these are my favorites. Kirby's Adventure Kirby's Return to Dreamland Kirby Super Star Kirby: Canvas Curse Kirby's Dream Course Kirby: Mass Attack
#28 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

I like all Kirby games for the most part, but I prefer the typical style.