Do you download your games or buy them in store?

#1 Edited by nintendogamer6 (1771 posts) -

I can't decide what I want to do (just got a 3ds). The convineace of downloading is nice. But if something happened to my ds id be screwed. Owning the actual game is nice too though. Plus it helps the local economy to buy from a retailer lol

Thoughts?

#3 Posted by nini200 (10415 posts) -

I've answered this question too many times. (Be lucky I don't turn on caps lock right now)

If I can buy the retail version, I buy that, if not, then I download.

#4 Posted by nintendogamer6 (1771 posts) -

@nini200: haha yeah I figured it was probably a pretty common question. So you buy retail because you just like having a hard copy ooorrr?

#5 Edited by quatoe (5803 posts) -

It depends for me. If the downloadable version is a good price I will download it, but if I can get a retail version for a better value I buy that. For example, I downloaded Dark Souls 1 because it was on sale for 5 dollars, but if I couldn't at that time due to money or not having Xbox Live Gold, I would have purchased the physical copy. Where as on my Wii U I only download VC titles, except for Darksiders 2. I got that because it was 19.99 on the eShop and I love that game.

#6 Posted by nini200 (10415 posts) -

@nintendogamer6 said:

@nini200: haha yeah I figured it was probably a pretty common question. So you buy retail because you just like having a hard copy ooorrr?

Yeah it has been asked quite a few times...

Yes I like being able to have a physical copy that collects value over time that I may sell later down the line. That's the main reason I like retail over digital. I am not putting any of my other reasons as you can find them by searching this forum.

#7 Edited by Chozofication (3809 posts) -

There's no reason to download games you can get physically other than if the downloadable version is super cheap, you can't sell downloads and pricing on downloadable retail games is a joke. Although, that seems to be changing recently with special sales (not with Nintendo though).. if a game is super cheap i'll buy the downloadable copy no problem.

And I just like having physical copies.

But, having your downloads limited to one user console on Nintendo platforms is a huge issue that also would keep me from downloading retail games, even if they were cheap. If something were to happen, Nintendo won't help you out (or at least not pay you back 100%). And if you happen to get another console, i don't think that content is transferable or at least it would be a big hassle. I only buy what I can't get physically on Nintendo consoles.

Nintendo needs to get with the times and stop being draconian with downloadable content..

#8 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I like the boxes and prettiness of it all, so...

If the downloadable versions were less expensive (which would be reasonable given how there are no distribution costs and etc), I would consider purchasing them.

#9 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4877 posts) -

Depends on the game. If it's a game I'm sure I'll play constantly and won't be replaced by a successor on the same system, like Animal Crossing, then I'll buy it digitally.

Other than that, I prefer getting the physical copy.

#10 Edited by HowlingLotus (509 posts) -

The 3DS is my odd system out where I only buy games digitally if that is the only option (ex: Pushmo, Crashmo, Mighty Switch Force, etc). This is mainly due to the fact games on Nintendo systems rarely drop in price, sales essentially don't exist/promo comes out after everyone has bought the game, and the fact Nintendo is still in the stone age of online services.

#11 Posted by LozzieBateman (10 posts) -

For 3DS? I buy my games from the store. I've heard horror stories about people who buy digital, then lose their 3DS or it breaks and they're screwed. I dunno how that works now since they introduced the Nintendo Network ID's, but before it was pretty bad, apparently.

#12 Edited by superbuuman (3215 posts) -

Prefer physical...not really into digital. For 3DS not much of concern ...but in general still prefer physical copy over digital..due to crappy net speed. :p

#13 Edited by YoshiYogurt (5987 posts) -

Strictly physical for me, I love games on the shelf.

#14 Posted by TTUalumni13 (755 posts) -

Physical only, except digital only titles (like indies, or past console games). I prefer having a hard copy, and being able to wait for lower prices or sell it if I don't like it after I beat it.

#15 Posted by tocool340 (20660 posts) -

Physical. Only digit games I downloaded are VC games...

#16 Posted by TJDMHEM (337 posts) -

I buy them in stores.

#17 Posted by Carl_W21 (2021 posts) -

Shop bought, I like to actually own the game, like the physical side of it. Also it's an added bonus the fact that you can sell it on or lend it to friends and family.

I am all for going green (no plastic case, no delivery etc...) However digital copies are not offering me anything, I don't see a lot if any digital discount, sometimes it baffles me that digital costs more :s

Then I guess software costs what software costs, so taking away delivery/material, I guess they could not reduce it by that much anyways, I would probably pay an extra £5-£10 say if that was difference for a physical after digital discount for the reason being... I like to have it as part of my phyiscal collection and the discount is probably not greater than the re-sale value if I choose too go down that road.

#18 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (8036 posts) -

It depends on the game. Sometimes I get them digitally. I try to make sure those are the ones I'm not likely to sell. I'm likely to sell Assassin's Creed, as I play it through once, and never again. In contrast, I play Donkey Kong and Pikmin over and over, and getting rid of them is never on the table. Plus, I like the convenience of having games on the system itself.

#19 Posted by Megavideogamer (5545 posts) -

I always choose the retail physical version of a videogame. But if there is no physical copy downloadable version

#20 Posted by mariokart64fan (19670 posts) -

any that come on disc i get on disc, any that dont go on disc such as vc games, i get downloade and indie games ,

#21 Edited by ZyroXZ2 (80 posts) -

I've made the decision to go all-digital on first-party and exclusives on the Wii U as a way of supporting the system. It puts more money in Nintendo's and the developer's pockets, and I usually keep my games for so long that they are only worth $1 or MAYBE $2 by the time I decide to trade them in...

#22 Posted by DSbestfriend (17 posts) -

I also just got my 3DS XL and I decided that I'd buy physical games only since the digital and physical copy both cost the same, but with the physical copy you can get a box which would look good if you are planning on a collection. Plus, I think it's extra costly if you keep on buying an SD card if you run out of space.

#23 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2730 posts) -

I'll continue to buy physical at least until Nintendo will believe I actually own the games I buy digitally. They're firm believers in tying your digital purchases to one device, and if that device shoots craps, you have to jump through hoops to have a chance at getting your games back.

#24 Edited by BattleSpectre (6874 posts) -

In store all day everyday. So I can smell the cover of the game.

#25 Posted by Kurezan (1850 posts) -

Physical is very much preferred over digital for me.

Digital purchases don't have the same weight to them, I don't get the same sense of achievement after I buy something digitally.

#26 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10934 posts) -

Always physical, with the exception of games on the eShop like the Oracle games as I don't have a Gameboy Color.

#27 Edited by SolidTy (45781 posts) -

I only buy Retail games for Nintendo products (my DS, 3DS, Wii U) after buying digital Wii titles and having a bad experience.

Until Nintendo changes the way they treat consumer's DD games, I won't support Nintendo's DD games.

If Nintendo changed the above, I would consider buying DD again as I do on PC/PSN/XBL, but only at reduced rates. I NEVER buy DD games at full price, EVER for any platform. I only buy DD when there is no physical option, and only when the DD title is on sale.

tl;dr

1. I don't buy DD games for Nintendo products until they change their e-policies
  2. I will buy DD games from Nintendo after but at reduced/discounted prices.
#28 Posted by SolidTy (45781 posts) -

@zyroxz2 said:

I've made the decision to go all-digital on first-party and exclusives on the Wii U as a way of supporting the system. It puts more money in Nintendo's and the developer's pockets, and I usually keep my games for so long that they are only worth $1 or MAYBE $2 by the time I decide to trade them in...

Actually, as a collector, I can tell you 1st party physical titles hold their value.

#29 Edited by outworld222 (2510 posts) -

I download almost exclusively. I am planning on getting SSB in cartridge form though. Partly because I'm running out of space in my 8GB card, and partly just because.

#30 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

Usually I buy them in a store; I like having the disk and boxart. If I can't find the game or am too lazy to go to the store, I'm not against downloading them. On my 3DS I've downloaded Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and Harvest Moon: A New Beginning.

#31 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2730 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@zyroxz2 said:

Actually, as a collector, I can tell you 1st party physical titles hold their value.

Yeah, if you're selling Mario titles for 2 bucks, you're selling them at the absolute lowest value they'll ever be. But with that said, I can't remember the last time I saw that actually happen.

#32 Posted by JordanElek (18086 posts) -

Wow, after skimming this thread, I feel like the only one who doesn't even think twice about downloading games.

I haven't bought a WiiU game in stores since launch, and I haven't bought a physical 3DS game since Fire Emblem.

Being able to play the game immediately and never have to worry about switching games out seems so natural now that the old way already feels retro. The rebate on WiiU games pretty much makes up for the inability to resell. I sold a huge chunk of my last-gen library before the WiiU came out and most games sold for around $5.

#33 Edited by GeorgeOglee (27 posts) -

i buy physical all the time unless it's not an option. I just like having something tangible to own really! if there's a game that's physical but like, out of stock, i'll wait for it. I hate having full game downloads! The only time i'll have downloaded games, particularly if we're talking 3DS, is when they're download only titles.

#34 Posted by starwolf474 (970 posts) -

If the game is available on physical media then I always buy the physical media. I like being able to display my games on my bookshelf; it gives me a greater feeling of ownership. I also like knowing that I can sell the game if I grow tired of it. And most importantly, I like the security of knowing that as long as I have the disc, I will always be able to play the game; I don't trust that I will always be able to play the digital games that I buy, especially for Nintendo since their games are stupidly tied to the console instead of a universal account.

#35 Edited by MirkoS77 (8196 posts) -

All physical. As long as Nintendo ties accounts to hardware, I'm not going to spend a single cent on their digital offerings. I swear, if they put accounts to the cloud and kickstarted their VC output, I would throw such insane amounts of money their way. I've never seen a company self-sabatoge their own prospective profits before as Nintendo has done with its digital policies. It's like they're doing everything in their power to not make money.

#36 Posted by FFCYAN (4954 posts) -

@tocool340 said:

Physical. Only digit games I downloaded are VC games...

This. VC games look sweet upscaled. I could probably get a lot of value of of the Deluxe Digital Promotion, but not at the expense of physical ownership.

#37 Posted by yixingtpot (1420 posts) -

I buy stupid small games like Mutant Mudds Deluxe or whatever the hell it's called via download. If I like a game to add to my collection I buy the disc. Then again if I see the Vita version of Mutant Mudds for real cheap I might collect that rage quit game card.

#38 Posted by Bigboi500 (31028 posts) -

Either way is fine. On 3DS i buy both dd and retail, and the games I share with my family are usually physical. On Wii U I buy almost everything physical copy because the HDD is only 32 GB.