Do I need a TV for the Wii U?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by p00zer (2514 posts) -

This might seem like a stupid question, but I saw that you can continue to play your games on the controller even if the channel is changed on the TV. So could I just buy the console and play the games on the controller with no TV? I don't have a TV and don't want to make that investment. This seems like it would be a lot of fun for parties though if people could just play on their own little screens.

#2 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

No, only a few games can be played on the controller itself.

#3 Posted by p00zer (2514 posts) -

No, only a few games can be played on the controller itself.

Jaysonguy

Okay. Thanks for the response. Looks like I'm sticking to board games then ha ha.

#5 Posted by ZamboniGamer (519 posts) -

All the power to you not having a tv :)

#6 Posted by p00zer (2514 posts) -

All the power to you not having a tv :)

ZamboniGamer

I spend plenty of time watching tv on the computer though. Just don't own one.

#7 Posted by aalexis (1 posts) -

So, why don't you just hook the system up to your monitor? Provided it has an HDMI port, i.e.

#8 Posted by p00zer (2514 posts) -

So, why don't you just hook the system up to your monitor? Provided it has an HDMI port, i.e.

aalexis

I actually don't have a computer either.. just use my school's computer labs.

#9 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4119 posts) -

[QUOTE="aalexis"]

p00zer

You watch TV on your school computers? :lol: That's awesome.
#10 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12762 posts) -
Buy a crap cheapy TV.
#11 Posted by teknic1200 (3191 posts) -
Buy a crap cheapy TV.OreoMilkshake
this. check out your local good will.
#12 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Buy a crap cheapy TV.teknic1200
this. check out your local good will.

that defeats the purpose of getting a Wii U....... it's an actual HD Nintendo console finally. I bet on a SD (standard definition) TV it will be hard to read things on the screen (like playing Xbox360 on an old SDTV is almost impossible for some games)

#13 Posted by p00zer (2514 posts) -

[QUOTE="p00zer"]

[QUOTE="aalexis"]

Toxic-Seahorse

You watch TV on your school computers? :lol: That's awesome.

Yep. I'm that guy.

#14 Posted by Bangerman15 (1976 posts) -
black Friday is this week, just get a cheap 20 inch hdtv dude and u can probably still have enough for a wii u as well
#15 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1111 posts) -

ha wow, even stores like Big Lots carry cheap ass HDTVS.

#16 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8226 posts) -
Wow I donno what to say no tv no computer. It's like your living in 3rd world country lol.
#17 Posted by p00zer (2514 posts) -

Wow I donno what to say no tv no computer. It's like your living in 3rd world country lol. AutoPilotOn
This thread is turning into an interview. I just spend all my money on music equipment. Never put any aside for anything else.

#18 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8226 posts) -
People r just shocked someone doesn't own a tv or monitor in this day and age is all lol it's ok
#19 Posted by thetravman (3515 posts) -

It's not a requirement for developers to make their games play without a TV. But some games can be played entirely on the gamepad such as Black Ops 2, NSMBU, Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman, and Scribblenauts. Just do some research before you buy a game.

#20 Posted by lalalei (203 posts) -

black friday... cheap 32" inch for $189 i've heard.

i would be fine without tv, but not having a computer sounds very strange to me...!!

#22 Posted by trugs26 (5314 posts) -

This seems like it would be a lot of fun for parties though if people could just play on their own little screens.

p00zer

Seems like everyone has addressed the first part of the question. To the second part, the Wii U only support at a maximum of 2 Wii U pads. And at the moment, no games support more than one Wii U pad in a game. Multiplayer at the moment is done by one player with a Wii U pad and up to 4 others with a Wii remote on the big screen.

#23 Posted by Epak_ (6765 posts) -

It's not a requirement for developers to make their games play without a TV. But some games can be played entirely on the gamepad such as Black Ops 2, NSMBU, Mass Effect 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Batman, and Scribblenauts. Just do some research before you buy a game.

thetravman

So quite a few actually and they just happen to be the best launch games even, pretty cool.