Do 3DS games have to be in 3D?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Aside from DSiWare and Virtual Console titles it seems like every game both downloadable and retail packaged for 3DS features some sort of 3D effect. My question is: does Nintendo (or someone) require all titles be in 3D? Could someone publish a 3DS game w/o a 3D effect?

I am not specifically interested in playing non-3D games or anything it just seems like there's a lot of cool games, indie games especially, that would work great on handheld but really wouldn't or even couldn't benefit from 3D. Think something like Hotline Miami or Retro City Rampage which are based on 2D sprites...

#2 Posted by SadAngelman (379 posts) -
Games don't actually have to be in 3d as it's up to the developer to decide if they want there game to have 3d or not. In the eshop Hydroventure Spin cycle, Mad Dog McCree, Sweet Memories Blackjack & Pokemon Dream Radar don't have any 3d at all & Cubic Ninja is a retail game that has no 3d either.
#3 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Games don't actually have to be in 3d as it's up to the developer to decide if they want there game to have 3d or not. In the eshop Hydroventure Spin cycle, Mad Dog McCree, Sweet Memories Blackjack & Pokemon Dream Radar don't have any 3d at all & Cubic Ninja is a retail game that has no 3d either.SadAngelman

Well, that answers that question as far as eShop titles. Still, Cubic Ninja does have some limited 3D effect according to Tom McShea's review on GameSpot.

#4 Posted by HowlingLotus (425 posts) -

As far as I know there hasn't been a game to force the 3D effects yet, and there may never be one. I generally keep the 3D off unless I want to see how a game looks with it on.

#5 Posted by MrNuttyboh (137 posts) -

As far as I know there hasn't been a game to force the 3D effects yet, and there may never be one. I generally keep the 3D off unless I want to see how a game looks with it on.

HowlingLotus

Yeah I don't use the 3D effect either..and to be honest if a game ever was released that REQUIRED 3D to be on I would porbably never play it. It gives me quite a headache.

#6 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

I dont think every game thats been released for the Nintendo 3DS needs to have the 3D turned on. Me, I have crappy eyesight so I just turn the 3D feature off. Games like Resident Evil Revelations look better without the 3D on anyway

#7 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

I did not mean that the 3D effect was required to be turned on. I assume it can be turned off in all cases. I meant weather it was required to have a 3D effect at all. Or, in other words, are there games where you can't turn the 3D effect on. It seems like there's some on the eStore and maybe some retail so I guess that is a reasonable enough answer for me.

#8 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
I haven't heard anything about a requirement, but I would be surprised to see a title launch that didn't have any. Not that I use it, I always keep mine off.
#9 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

It is not required but it should be. Imagine someone developing a game for Wii U with standard definition graphics instead of high definition. That makes about as much sense as developing a 2D game for a 3D system.

#10 Posted by Wolfysteve (29 posts) -
Honestly they would be jumping the shark if they didn't implement it. 3D is a great feature from a business standpoint, even for nintendo when it comes to multiplatform games, because 3D is a feature exclusive to the 3DS. People with both the Vita and 3DS will most likely buy the game that features a 3D option.
#11 Posted by FirstNintendork (11 posts) -

The only good excuse for no 3D effect is a game that uses the gyroscope in every play mode, or requires you to turn the console on its side.

I am disappointed that Fractured Soul does not utilize the 3D. I'm assuming they either didn't want to put the extra time and effort into adding it (it was in development for 8 years, so it wasn't originally designed with the 3DS in mind), and/or they felt that both screens should have the same look because they're both used in the exact same way - with gameplay revolving around the constant swapping of the character from screen to screen.

#12 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Super Mario 3D Land has certain points where you have to use 3D but other than that the 3D just looks nice from the games I have played.  Well there are some moments in Kid Icarus where the 3D is helpful to know how long you have to land but that is not needed.

#13 Posted by KBFloYd (13840 posts) -

im pretty sure all retail games require 3d....it's the selling point of the device that sets it apart from vita's hd screen....

it's good that 3ds has a ton more games than the vita because that is also what is making it sell more for people who didnt like the 3d.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25600 posts) -

3D is mostly a novelty at this point.

I only turn it on when I want to go "OOO! Ahhh!"