Discussion on recent vs old Nintendo sountracks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

As Nintendo moved into the Gamecube era, main composer Koji Kondo moved into more of a supervisory position. This resulted in changes in Nintendo's sound team.

Videogame music has always been a big part of Nintendo's legacy. In this topic lets discuss how Nintendo is currently doing in this area.

• Mario: Recent 2D titles have been very forgettable; 3D titles have remained strong due mainly to the involvement of newer composer, Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo still composing a select few main themes.
    • Mario Kart: Has always been good, not great. I consider 64 the strongest.
    • Zelda: Has undergone some decline since Wind Waker. While newer soundtracks are exceptionally well produced and still contain great themes themes, the series is no longer linked with iconic music the way it once was. Some games like "A Link Between Worlds" make use of older themes, to great effect.
    • Metroid: The "Prime" games were musically superior to the already fantastic NES/SNES scores
    • Donkey Kong: The "Country" series has been stronger than ever, under the care of the Kenji Yamamoto and main series composer David Wise.
    • Animal Crossing: Consistent? (personally haven't played all the games), New Leaf was musically strong.
    • Fire Emblem: The most recent Awakening had maybe the series' best score.
    • Yoshi: Yoshi's Island DS and seemingly Yoshi's New Island have very poor soundtracks.
    • Smash Bros: Brawl was a fantastic homage to video game music, in general. Info on Smash Bros U's soundtrack is scarce.

Overall: You can tell that Koji Kondo is no longer composing all of the Mario and Zelda music, like he once did. The 2D Mario and Yoshi games seem to have suffered the biggest drop in quality. Recent musical highlights include Mario Galaxy/3D World and the new Donkey Kong County games.

#2 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -

I think that the only major Nintendo series in need of a musical overhaul are the Mario/Yoshi sidescrolling games. Too much remixing of old tunes, extreme repetition of songs and uninspired new music.

Animal Crossing's soundtrack is fantastic. New Leaf's music is great. Many of the 24 tunes that play on each of the day's hours are remarkable. Not to mention the KK songs.

Tropical Freeze's soundtrack, while not as good as the one for Diddy Kong's Quest (is that even possible?), is right up there among the best to ever show up on an exclusive title for Nintendo's platforms. On some levels I was almost happy to die, because it meant I would get to listen to the music some more.

#3 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4772 posts) -

I completely agree with the 2D Mario/Yoshi games. I guess Zelda has been declining, sort of. Newer titles are not receiving as many original memorable tunes compared to the earlier titles, but they have some fantastic remixes.

I really, REALLY hope Smash Bros delivers an even better soundtrack than Brawl. I just want a crapload of amazing orchestrated remixes from all the video games it represents so I can jam while kicking ass. Even if it's as unfitting as Route 209 on Spear Pillar.

#4 Posted by Pierst179 (10803 posts) -
@ANIMEguy10034 said:

I completely agree with the 2D Mario/Yoshi games. I guess Zelda has been declining, sort of. Newer titles are not receiving as many original memorable tunes compared to the earlier titles, but they have some fantastic remixes.

I really, REALLY hope Smash Bros delivers an even better soundtrack than Brawl. I just want a crapload of amazing orchestrated remixes from all the video games it represents so I can jam while kicking ass. Even if it's as unfitting as Route 209 on Spear Pillar.

The next Zelda needs the orchestrated treatment the Galaxy games had.

Super Smash Bros Brawl is the greatest jukebox ever. I am also hoping the Wii U game will top it.

#5 Edited by Chozofication (2938 posts) -

@Pierst179: Wasn't skyward sword orchestrated?

#6 Posted by FFCYAN (4943 posts) -

I still prefer the 40 second looped songs from the NES/SNES eras. Excellent compositions sound great no matter what the sound driver.

Nintendo needs a new F-Zero soundtrack to go with a new entry in the series!

#7 Posted by JordanElek (17887 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

Yes, and that soundtrack is amazing.

The weirdest part is that the learned songs in Skyward Sword - the equivalents of the Ocarina songs in OoT - are forgettable and downright bad. The rest of the music is pretty fantastic. If they're going to keep milking the tradition of specific music playing a role in the plot, they should at least make it memorable, like all of the Ocarina songs were.

#8 Posted by Chozofication (2938 posts) -

@JordanElek said:

@Chozofication said:

Yes, and that soundtrack is amazing.

The weirdest part is that the learned songs in Skyward Sword - the equivalents of the Ocarina songs in OoT - are forgettable and downright bad. The rest of the music is pretty fantastic. If they're going to keep milking the tradition of specific music playing a role in the plot, they should at least make it memorable, like all of the Ocarina songs were.

Agreed completely.

#9 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

I've found that the Zelda series music peaked with Wind Waker. That soundtrack is simply sublime. New games in the series still sound great but none are close to Wind Waker or Majora's Mask.

Pokemon though still puts out consistently quality tunes. I don't think the series has put out anything as great as generation 2, but each gen has some really good ones.

#10 Edited by nini200 (9827 posts) -

The Prime soundtracks were phenomenal but the 2D Metroids soundtracks are better.

2D Donkey Kong Country's soundtracks are better than the New ones. Heck the only memorable songs from the new ones are the remade 2D ones.

FZero X has the best soundtrack for the FZero series. GX was good but X had that adrenaline pumping music that made you want to PLAY IT LOUD!