Digital or retail for WiiU?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
So, how is everyone buying their games for your WiiU?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

Considering how bad Nintendo is with digital content there shouldn't be anyone who's buying digital unless that's the only way you can get them.

Unlike everywhere else that you actually own the game Nintendo's system is more of a rental system.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

When I get one, it will be retail since digital is often more expensive, for some really weird reason. Pay more and not get anything extra, but have things taken away instead doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jaysonguy

When I get one, it will be retail since digital is often more expensive, for some really weird reason. Pay more and not get anything extra, but have things taken away instead doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Litchie

Real companies do it so you never lose the title, always works perfectly, can be moved from location to location, there's advantages of digital content anywhere else.

hooch1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 hooch1
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts

Litchie
I agree. The way its handled on the PC with 3rd parties competing with one another is the way it should be done. The console version of digital distribution is single sourced and prices are typically higher than the physical copy that you can find on sale at Amazon, Best Buy, Target, etc. I used to be suspicious of Steam keeping tabs on everything but it is by far superior to anything the console companies are offering. I still will buy good digital only titles like Trine 2 and Journey.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Retail most of the time. I'll probably never need an external HDD for the Wii U. With a 32 GB SD card that will put my console up to 64 GB. My Xbox 360 HDD is only 60 GB and I never came close to filling that up either.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I think i remember Nintendo saying the 3rd parties could price their own software however they saw fit. Also, Nntendo said they were working on a solution to the problem of tranfering your e-shop purchased games to different Wii U systems. Its just gonna take some time for all this to settle out. But yeah, for now i would only download specific e-shop games like Nano Assault or Trine 2 for the time being and retail for everything else unless you are brave or confident your Wii U will never break.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="Litchie"]

Jaysonguy

Real companies do it so you never lose the title, always works perfectly, can be moved from location to location, there's advantages of digital content anywhere else.

Everything you mentioned can be done with an actual PHYSICAL copy, so whats the point of paying money for something you will never own?

Digital sucks no matter where you get it from.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Litchie"]

Vickman178

Everything you mentioned can be done with an actual PHYSICAL copy, so whats the point of paying money for something you will never own?

1. You do own it, you own the license, same thing as a retail copy.

2. Can never lose it no matter fire, theft, flooding

3. Anyone who's ever had to move instantly sees the advantage to digital

Retail games are dying like split screen gaming has died, things are just evolving.

SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

Both. Wherever I can get the better deal is where my $ will go.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#11 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I'm opting for digital as much as possible. Only disc game I have is Nintendo Land. Both, for ecologycal reasons as well as for practical ones as I prefer to have all my games in one place without having to switch discs
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I think it's REALLY useful for portable gaming, but for home consoles not so much. For some games I might buy digital versions, like Nintendo Land or an Animal Crossing game.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

online multiplayer games id like to keep on the HDD without switching discs.....but for all single player games im buying retail.

so far i got nintendoland and tekken digital... i wanted blackops 2 also but wierd they dont offer it.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

I think i remember Nintendo saying the 3rd parties could price their own software however they saw fit. Also, Nntendo said they were working on a solution to the problem of tranfering your e-shop purchased games to different Wii U systems. Its just gonna take some time for all this to settle out. But yeah, for now i would only download specific e-shop games like Nano Assault or Trine 2 for the time being and retail for everything else unless you are brave or confident your Wii U will never break.

Videodogg
If your Wii U breaks you can get your Nintendo account transferred. The account is transferable, just Nintendo has to do it. That's the same way the Wii was too. I know it isn't a great system but it's misinformation to say that your when your system breaks you'll lose all your games. I would like it to be the way the PS3 and 360 are where you can just sign in, but things aren't that bad.

Retail most of the time. I'll probably never need an external HDD for the Wii U. With a 32 GB SD card that will put my console up to 64 GB. My Xbox 360 HDD is only 60 GB and I never came close to filling that up either.

Bigboi500
You can't directly use an SD card for storage on the Wii U. It only recognizes USB hard drives. There's a way to get around that with a USB card reader but it isn't recommended as it's slower and will wear out much faster than a hard drive. As for the official topic I own 3 download retail games and 2 disc based retail games. I decide based on price and if I'm planning on ever selling a game.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I got to say physical. The laws around digital ownership do not seem to be set in stone, even though they should be by now. Not to long ago there was a steam Terms of Service change. Now, what it was doesn't matter. What matters is that a company can modify a a contract of sorts after you've already put money into the product. Digital purchases are NOT ownership. They all state that you cannot legally modify your download, meaning it'd be against the law to make copies of your download.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Considering how bad Nintendo is with digital content there shouldn't be anyone who's buying digital unless that's the only way you can get them.

Unlike everywhere else that you actually own the game Nintendo's system is more of a rental system.

Jaysonguy
What is the deal with their downloadable games? You don't fully own them?
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#17 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I'll be buying retail, mostly, so that I don't fill up my memory.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Physical. Always. I still buy CD's and vinyl.

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts

Physical. Always. I still buy CD's and vinyl.

FFCYAN
Yeah, music CD's are cool. But videogames is a different story. :P
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

Retail games are dying like split screen gaming has died, things are just evolving.

lol i'v moved 7 times. its not a huge deal to put a disk in a box.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Vickman178"]

Djmaster214

"a disc"

How about a few thousand, let me know how that goes.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

"a disc"

im pretty sure thats a extremely small percentage that owns over a thousand cases. you can easily fit over 300 dvd boxes in a 16x16x16 box even more in a standard 20x20x20 , multiply that by two if their blu ray or ps3 cases. trust me i used to work for a moving company, aside from myself owning several hundred cases between movies and games. it would be about 4 boxes max for a thousand cases, and lets face it you just stack them its not heavy labor. stop making excuses
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I'm always getting retail and never really considered otherwise. BUT with the gamepad i find myself not using the TV at all, and doing just about everything on the pad. The only drag now is that I have to disc swap. If i went digital, I could find myself ignoring the TV/console altogether. Something I'm considering anyway.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I only buy digital on steam; no point in digital for me on consoles. Too expensive, and I much rather have the disk.
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

One thing that should be considered is if you have a Deluxe system, you basically get a 5$ credit with every purchase made on the eShop via the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"] lol i'v moved 7 times. its not a huge deal to put a disk in a box. Djmaster214

"a disc"

im pretty sure thats a extremely small percentage that owns over a thousand cases. you can easily fit over 300 dvd boxes in a 16x16x16 box even more in a standard 20x20x20 , multiply that by two if their blu ray or ps3 cases. trust me i used to work for a moving company, aside from myself owning several hundred cases between movies and games. it would be about 4 boxes max for a thousand cases, and lets face it you just stack them its not heavy labor. stop making excuses

Right, and that percentage are generally collectors--the ones that prefer physical. The social aspect of lending someone is also lost with digital.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

One thing that should be considered is if you have a Deluxe system, you basically get a 5$ credit with every purchase made on the eShop via the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

QuebecSuperstar

Nope, that never happened

What they do offer is 10% back on purcahses for the next 2 years

Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

[QUOTE="QuebecSuperstar"]

Jaysonguy

Nope, that never happened

What they do offer is 10% back on purcahses for the next 2 years

*purchases*

But yeah, you're right.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedude-
So we do not fully own the game if we buy it off eShop?
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#31 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I'm also not a huge fan of buying digital (unless it's a game not available on retail) since you can't trade it in anywhere. Digital is a drawback for us but it's good for developers and publishers, as it might cut down on used game sales.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

As long as their online games are much more expensive on the eshop than retail (at least her ein Switzerland), there's no need to get them digital. But I do get games that are digital only

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
So we do not fully own the game if we buy it off eShop?thedude-
You don't fully own the game off any digital source. Technicly publishers would like to let their illegal EULAs say you don't own those disks either. I think Jasonguy's point there was Nintendo is still behind on their online infrastructure, and if you can't move it to another system, do you really own it?
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thedude-
[QUOTE="thedude-"]So we do not fully own the game if we buy it off eShop?darkspineslayer
You don't fully own the game off any digital source. Technicly publishers would like to let their illegal EULAs say you don't own those disks either. I think Jasonguy's point there was Nintendo is still behind on their online infrastructure, and if you can't move it to another system, do you really own it?

Yea I guess I needed clarification. I hope Nintendo updates that soon. I am guessing you dont have the same account across your 3DS either.
mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

I have no issue with Xbox buying digital, but with the Wii U it will all be physical disks. Here is why:

1) Less expensive. Digital is rare to be on sale

2) Can't sell the back to store for credit.

3) Can't take to friends house for gameing session

4) If console goes (this is for Nintendo only) you lose your game. Nintendo ties to system and not the user.

5) Lack of internal storage on all versions of the Wii U.

6) Having to deal with gamecards or give Nintendo a credit card.

Still like my Wii U and am looking foward to Metroid and Zelda.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AlmightyDerek

I have no issue with Xbox buying digital, but with the Wii U it will all be physical disks. Here is why:

4) If console goes (this is for Nintendo only) you lose your game. Nintendo ties to system and not the user.

mgools
You don't lose your game if your system breaks. I don't know why people keep saying this. Your account is transferable, but only Nintendo can transfer it. It's not the most convenient system but you don't lose your games. The rest of your points are valid of course.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
Retail for me for the sole reason of I can sell it once I'm bored of it on Ebay or Craigslist and I just like having Physical copies. Digital would be only for those that are only available for Digital download.
marinevetstl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 marinevetstl
Member since 2012 • 175 Posts

I buy the disc, pure and simple. I keep my disc's perfect so I never have a problem playing them. Also, I have owned my house for 10 years so I am not going anywhere anytime soon. Digital download for me when it is a digital download only game.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thedude-
[QUOTE="mgools"]

AlmightyDerek
You don't lose your game if your system breaks. I don't know why people keep saying this. Your account is transferable, but only Nintendo can transfer it. It's not the most convenient system but you don't lose your games. The rest of your points are valid of course.

It is still a huge hassle that is not present on other hardware avenues.
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AlmightyDerek
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="mgools"]

thedude-

Agreed, they need to fix that, but that's not the same as losing your games forever.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thedude-
[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] You don't lose your game if your system breaks. I don't know why people keep saying this. Your account is transferable, but only Nintendo can transfer it. It's not the most convenient system but you don't lose your games. The rest of your points are valid of course.

Agreed, they need to fix that, but that's not the same as losing your games forever.

Yea people speak a different language here ha.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] You don't lose your game if your system breaks. I don't know why people keep saying this. Your account is transferable, but only Nintendo can transfer it. It's not the most convenient system but you don't lose your games. The rest of your points are valid of course.AlmightyDerek

Unless it's a situation where you don't own the console (fire, theft) or even the situation where a few years down the line the console breaks and Nintendo charges more money to repair it then it costs to buy one new during a sale period.

Every other platform you own a license of that game, Nintendo is the only one where you don't

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thedude-

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="thedude-"] It is still a huge hassle that is not present on other hardware avenues.Jaysonguy

Unless it's a situation where you don't own the console (fire, theft) or even the situation where a few years down the line the console breaks and Nintendo charges more money to repair it then it costs to buy one new during a sale period.

Every other platform you own a license of that game, Nintendo is the only one where you don't

Well they will always get away with it. They have an audience that is happy enough with their innovations and are obviously able to ignore such huge missteps.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"] Agreed, they need to fix that, but that's not the same as losing your games forever.thedude-

Well they will always get away with it. They have an audience that is happy enough with their innovations and are obviously able to ignore such huge missteps.

I don't know if it's that though

I think that people just don't know better.

Right now if you make a screen name and your Wii U breaks and you send it in to be fixed you still lose that name.

That's insane and no one in their right mind would think that's how it should work, the thing is that's how it works everywhere else so people think it'll be that way for Nintendo too.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
W bought 4 games for xmas so the kids would have something to unwrap. The rest of the games I buy will be DD. discs are antiquated.
rschauby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rschauby
Member since 2010 • 101 Posts

I'm going all Digital. I am even ready to go sell/trade in my physical copy of NintendoLand for the digital version. Changing games without swapping discs is a HUGE benefit for me. My wife and son are notorious for scratching/losing/breaking optical media so it also saves me money as well as wear & tear on the machine.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jaysonguy

I'm going all Digital. I am even ready to go sell/trade in my physical copy of NintendoLand for the digital version. Changing games without swapping discs is a HUGE benefit for me. My wife and son are notorious for scratching/losing/breaking optical media so it also saves me money as well as wear & tear on the machine.

rschauby

1. How about you make them do things right? Like seriously, you allow that from either one of them?

2. Hope your console doesn't break

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Wiiu digital is connected to an account. Also, you can share one Mii between 3ds and wiiu,no?
skingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 skingus
Member since 2006 • 2370 Posts
My problem with digital, besides the long downloads, is what happens to the games if the console breaks? Nintendo always makes great hardware but it still scares me. If I was I sure that they would just fix the console with all my downloads intact it would be no problem, but I would be ill if I had to re-download everything. Also, for some reason I still like to support actual stores.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jaysonguy

Wiiu digital is connected to an account. Also, you can share one Mii between 3ds and wiiu,no?Heirren

No, you can't