Did you beat alttp without a guide? if so...

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nintendogamer6
Member since 2006 • 1772 Posts

HOW!?

I just finished the game and really enjoyed it. But there where parts in the game where I feel I would have been aimlessly wondering around for hours(or longer) trying to find items that im not even sure i need/exsist.

SPOILERS***********

Like the final boss for instance. I cant even imagine how long i would have been wondering around looking for an item (silver arrows) that I have to use in last phase of the fight. And the game dosent even mention that i will need them once. Not to mention that you basically HAVE to have the tempered sword (unless your a master of the charge attack lol). And how bout the quake medalion? I dont think i ever would have guessed to throw a skull in a random circle of rocks so a fish would come out of the water and throw it at me(this one was a little more understandable because the game makes it clear that you need it to get into turtle rock).

These are just a few examples and there are others that arent coming to mind. but I just wanted to hear some comments from people who got through the whole game without a guide.

I realize this is just how games used to be and i respect that. I've played other adventure games from this era such as metroid and wonder boy. But alttp seems to be on a whole new level as far as having to indepentally expolre without any hints.

Posted from mobile. Soryy if sloppy

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

yea...i beat it as kid back before the internet. as a kid you have time to play the game for hours with wonderment. so you have more patience without going to the internet for help.

i couldnt beat zelda 1 and 2 on the nes though.

on zelda1 i got to the last dungeon but got lost and couldnt find the door that lead to ganon.

zelda2 i got to the last palace and again i got lost and couldnt find the way to the last boss.

now i can beat both....but i can only beat zelda2 with save state cheat.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I beat it on the SNES as a kid without a guide. Well it took 3 of us. Me and 2 of my cousins would get together on weekends and we'd play it together. One would control, and the other 2 would be planning strategy. Like how to beat the bosses, solving dungeons, how to get heart pieces etc. Talking to everyone really helps the most. But even with the 3 of us there were things we missed. We didn't know about the Zoras waterfall, and some of the heart pieces. But I come from a era where if you didn't have a Nintendo Power you were outta luck.

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nintendogamer6

These are the types of answers I expected. I remeber playing the oracle games and link awakening as a kid. Me and the kids in my after shool day care would get together and figure them out haha. And yes time is a big factor too, for some reason I had so much more pateince with games as a kid. It dosent help that I am constantly reminded that I can have the simple answer to any puzzle witihin 5 min of a google search :/

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Hm. Interesting. I definitely didn't use a guide. Back in the day, people would exchange ideas and tips in the school yard. Nintendo Power helped out a lot of people too.

But for the most part, I'm pretty sure most people did ALttP on their own. Maybe it was just how games were back then, so you were used to triggering such events or observing suspicious circumstances just because most other games did it in a similar fashion.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@nintendogamer6: I'm the same as the others, I played this on the SNES before there was internet. About beating the last boss: I remember knowing how to beat Ganon with a silver arrow because that's how you had to beat him in Zelda 1 which I had beaten a few years earier. I remember getting lucky that when I found the fairy fountain I just tossed the arrows in and they turned into silver arrows. I knew that I needed those for Ganon. So I got a bit lucky there.

@KBFloYd: About beating Zelda 1... With all the talk of Zelda WiiU taking a lot of inspiration from the original Zelda I have really wanted to play that game again on my WiiU VC. So I started playing an old save file where I had 5 pieces of triforce. I still remember most of the first quest well enough that I'll be able to finish it relatively quickly.

Then I plan on playing through the second quest... something I've never been able to complete. I got through 6 dungeons as a kid then my file corrupted as often happened in the NES days. I will try to beat it without a guide but this will be very tough as I only remember where like 3 or 4 dungeons are... I'm really excited to do this. It'll be hard not to look stuff up online though, I've gotten soft in my old age! :P

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I finished a lot of games from that era without a guide including ALTTP. I had no help with the game what so ever. The hardest part for me to figure out was having to shoot the statue in the eye for the wall to move. It took me 6 hours to figure that part out.

That hardest game I ever had to figure out was Castlevania 2 Simons Quest. The part with the tornado took me 10 hours to figure out.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

Yeah I beat all my games back in the day without a guide and I still continue to do so, I have to be really stuck to turn to a guide since I do have a limited amount of time these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#9 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Come on it is really easy. Guide aren't that useful and people get too used to use Google when they can figure out something in 1min

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 roboccs

@Sepewrath: I used to be really against using guides. But just like you, I don't have as much time to game so if I'm really stuck to where it's no fun anymore, I will use one. I usually will use one if I'm stuck on a really hard boss, I look for tips generally.

nintendogamer6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nintendogamer6

@roboccs: guides use to really get to me when they first came around too. I typically only use them on older games like this where hints are very sparse. I feel that after an hour plus you are just wasting your time and won't even feel satisfied if you do end up finding it out yourself.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21647 Posts

Honestly, the only Zelda game I ever had to get a game guide for was OoT since I really had no clue where to go after the Shadow temple. Didn't think too much about the desert since they had the placed locked down when Link was young and no bridge with adult Link. I spent weeks wondering Hyrule....actually, I got the game guide because I didn't realize Fire Arrows existed in the game so I was stuck trying to get through one particular spot in Ganondorf's Castle where Fire arrows were mandatory. I actually did spent a couple weeks trying to figure out where to go after completing Shadow Temple, but I was able to eventually figure it out on my own....

As for ALTTP, that took me months to beat it simply because of its difficulty back when I was a kid, never mind the lack of directions during certain parts of the game. As soon as I hit dark world, I was dying left and right. And the lack of directions wasn't that bad to me if you use common sense in many of those spots. It just requires that you pay close attention to your surroundings as you play though, like noticing all the spots where you can acquire the medallions as you get the pendants or noticing rocks in a peculiar arrangement as you travel.

I'll admit though that there was 2 times I did get genuinely stuck (If only for a moment), and that was figuring out how to blow open the crack in the wall on the pyramid when you first end up in the Dark World (I sort of knew it could have been blown open, just couldn't figure out how. Since the game upgraded many of the items as it went along, I figured it might require a bomb upgrade, just couldn't figure out where to get them. I remember seeing a character talk about bombs in the dark world, couldn't remember where he was located. I just happened to get lucky locating him) and during that one dungeon where Blind the Thief was masquerading as a princess or woman in that dungeon claiming he wanted to leave the place (Ended up spending hours trying to figure out how to get her to leave with me. I got really lucky in discovering his true identity)...

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I beat that game when I was 10 before the internet. I can rape that game in my sleep

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 roboccs

@Sphensen: Sure, you can now. But how hard was is for you when you were 10?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think I beat most of it on my own, but yeah there were some parts that I needed a guide for. Link Between Worlds I did completely without a guide though and 100%ed it (although that baseball mini game tripped me up and I went online for tips).

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Beat it without a guide when I was just a young fella. I remember playing it with friends trying to figure shit out/taking turns, but thats about it. I remember the Forest Temple and Turtle Rock upsetting me the most.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

There was a time when we had to figure games out on our own, or brought in friends or family to help.

Back in 1994 (when I played A Link to the Past for the first time), and I have to admit my memory is a little vague at this point, but I remember beating it largely on my own. There was only a couple puzzles in the Dark World that I had to ask a friend about.

Games used to be about building problem solving skills. Now they are about holding your hand through everything.