Can Wii u play AVI files and other video file formats via HDD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BSG-Galactica75 (2 posts) -
Is the Wii u able to play various video file formats via HDD? If so what file formats can it play? Thanks
#2 Posted by Joseph881 (1182 posts) -

No, currently the Wii U cannot play any of your personal media. That includes video, music, and pictures. I'm hoping Nintendo adds the functionality later down the road though.

#3 Posted by BSG-Galactica75 (2 posts) -
That is really disappointing ... this why is Nintendo is slowly losing their grip on the video game world ... with the latest xbox 360 update my 360 will no longer read my 3TB HDD .. no I am forced to hook my laptop up to my 55" led TV which makes it run hot...MOTHER FRAKERS!!!!
#4 Posted by nini200 (9587 posts) -
#5 Posted by Joseph881 (1182 posts) -

You're welcome

nini200

That's a start, but it only currently works with MP4s. He would have to convert all his videos, and then still have to have the server running on his machine.

#6 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

That is really disappointing ... this why is Nintendo is slowly losing their grip on the video game world ... with the latest xbox 360 update my 360 will no longer read my 3TB HDD .. no I am forced to hook my laptop up to my 55" led TV which makes it run hot...MOTHER FRAKERS!!!!BSG-Galactica75

complaining a VIDEO GAME company won't play ur media files..........i am sure ur ipad does that fine. if you REALLY want to watch media, just buy a WD Media Live for $77 AU (dunno how much US) and then u has ALL THE MEDIAZZZZZZZ and it consumes even less power then ur latop or Wii U would

#7 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -

[QUOTE="BSG-Galactica75"]That is really disappointing ... this why is Nintendo is slowly losing their grip on the video game world ... with the latest xbox 360 update my 360 will no longer read my 3TB HDD .. no I am forced to hook my laptop up to my 55" led TV which makes it run hot...MOTHER FRAKERS!!!!kungfool69

complaining a VIDEO GAME company won't play ur media files..........i am sure ur ipad does that fine. if you REALLY want to watch media, just buy a WD Media Live for $77 AU (dunno how much US) and then u has ALL THE MEDIAZZZZZZZ and it consumes even less power then ur latop or Wii U would

I think the point is that since the PS3 and 360 do it, the supposedly "next gen" Wii U should also do it.
#8 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

[QUOTE="BSG-Galactica75"]That is really disappointing ... this why is Nintendo is slowly losing their grip on the video game world ... with the latest xbox 360 update my 360 will no longer read my 3TB HDD .. no I am forced to hook my laptop up to my 55" led TV which makes it run hot...MOTHER FRAKERS!!!!ItsEvolution

I think the point is that since the PS3 and 360 do it, the supposedly "next gen" Wii U should also do it.

360 plays avi and standard def mpeg's. ps3 plays the same plus my HDV mpegs from my HDV camera (and my new AVCHD camera). WD TV live plays 20 different codecs.......

#9 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3588 posts) -

360 plays avi and standard def mpeg's. ps3 plays the same plus my HDV mpegs from my HDV camera (and my new AVCHD camera). WD TV live plays 20 different codecs.......

kungfool69

That's beside the point, though, which is that there would have to be another purchase just to have that functionality to compliment the Wii U. It'd be one thing if Nintendo wasn't trying to push the Wii U as a multimedia device of sorts, but since they are, the inability to play video files in comparison to the other systems it's up against is a glaring omission.

Telling someone to spend more money as a compliment for a system already more expensive than the ones that do support what he/she is asking for isn't exactly the ideal response to someone's gripes about the situation. Just saying.

#10 Posted by sailor232 (4434 posts) -

I wish the WiiU played video file formats, I'd get rid of my ps3 which is only used as a media server.

#11 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

Madmangamer364

That's beside the point, though, which is that there would have to be another purchase just to have that functionality to compliment the Wii U. It'd be one thing if Nintendo wasn't trying to push the Wii U as a multimedia device of sorts, but since they are, the inability to play video files in comparison to the other systems it's up against is a glaring omission.

Telling someone to spend more money as a compliment for a system already more expensive than the ones that do support what he/she is asking for isn't exactly the ideal response to someone's gripes about the situation. Just saying.

to the average consumer they are NOT trying to push anything related to media..... no dvd or blu ray stamp on the box, no point of sale advertising TVii here in australia (TVii has no date for Down Under.....) i can;t even see on the box where it should say the Wii U can control my TV....(already set up btw to turn my samsung on and off). Advertising in my store includes price for console, bundles and games. the PS3 and Xbox area have items such as remote controls being sold (hell, There used to even be Blu0ray's bundled with PS3 remotes the last few years, thats how i got mine with Resident evil Extinction)

#12 Posted by Jaysonguy (37553 posts) -

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

kungfool69

to the average consumer they are NOT trying to push anything related to media..... no dvd or blu ray stamp on the box, no point of sale advertising TVii here in australia (TVii has no date for Down Under.....) i can;t even see on the box where it should say the Wii U can control my TV....(already set up btw to turn my samsung on and off). Advertising in my store includes price for console, bundles and games. the PS3 and Xbox area have items such as remote controls being sold (hell, There used to even be Blu0ray's bundled with PS3 remotes the last few years, thats how i got mine with Resident evil Extinction)

..........for Christ's sake

Half of Nintendo's entire pitch for the Wii U has been it's ability to be a multimedia hub, that's why they're pushing streaming services and it's own integration with cable companies.

You bring up remote controls?

The (@#*(@# controller can be used as a channel guide and then to watch the video from all of it's streaming options.

How do you not know Nintendo's intentions when they broadcast it everywhere?

#13 Posted by nini200 (9587 posts) -

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Jaysonguy

Half of Nintendo's entire pitch for the Wii U has been it's ability to be a multimedia hub, that's why they're pushing streaming services and it's own integration with cable companies.

The (@#*(@# controller can be used as a channel guide and then to watch the video from all of it's streaming options.

O.O LOOOLLLL I'm done!!! :lol:
#14 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Jaysonguy

this may be why Nintendo suffers in Australia, THEY BROADCAST NOTHING. There are TV adverts but they only show people playing games and ZERO point of sale for anything other then games. My shop has a demo TV playing a loop of Wii games all day. GAMES. GAMES ONLY. ZERO point of sale make ANY mention of multimedia hub options. Try this yourself. walk into your local game shop and PHYSICALLY look for any indication that WIi U does more then games.

#15 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3588 posts) -

kungfool69

On that note, it's not like the other consoles show commercials of their systems being able to play DVD/Blu-Ray. Doesn't mean that they're not still being pushed as multimedia devices at the end of the day. TVii is no less of a key to Nintendo's success in that regard as DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray have been in the past. If anything, Nintendo's hoping that TVii becomes the Wii U's trump card in becoming a must-have item to consumers with interests outside of gaming.

Trust me when I say that Nintendo is pushing the Wii U as being multimedia, even if a TVii logo isn't slapped on the box.

#16 Posted by painguy1 (8686 posts) -

Well the WiiU seems to be built entirley on a web browser so I think it's safe to say the web browser is burly enough so that you can stream videos from your PC, but I wouldn't know. I'm not even sure if it supports any sort of standard video codec.

---Edit---

I was beaten. yeah u can stream Mp4's

#17 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

Madmangamer364

On that note, it's not like the other consoles show commercials of their systems being able to play DVD/Blu-Ray. Doesn't mean that they're not still being pushed as multimedia devices at the end of the day. TVii is no less of a key to Nintendo's success in that regard as DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray have been in the past. If anything, Nintendo's hoping that TVii becomes the Wii U's trump card in becoming a must-have item to consumers with interests outside of gaming.

Trust me when I say that Nintendo is pushing the Wii U as being multimedia, even if a TVii logo isn't slapped on the box.

I earlier the exmple of the selling blu rays packed with ps3 remotes. Also the Xbox pro first came with a media remote. Also for $89 Microsoft push a controller + media remote +3 months gold. Sony sell their remote right next to controllers. Check out ur Wii U box, it tells u what's inside, not what it can do. Xbox Kinect box shows a picture of Foxtel, Facebook, twitter and Zune.