Can Retro be turned into a "new Rare" ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Altho some of you may already consider them as such, I personally still do not.

To be worthy of that title, they would have to make more than just two-three games per generation and make new IPs as well.

In their best times, Rare were chucking out great games left and right and they were making both, new IPs as well as sequels to established ones.

Part of that reason was also that they often re-used a lot of the same assets and graphics engines, but nevertheless, their efforts were impressive.

With the recent news of Retro expanding their team, I think they have the manpower neccessary to bring out more new games and fresh experiences.

But there is a fundamental difference between old Rare and the current Retro.

And that is that Retro is fully owned by Nintendo and it's up to Nintendo to decide what they'll work on.

Rare had quite some creative freedom to do what they wanted partly also because they weren't fully owned by Nintendo, hence could make their own games besides working on Ninty's franchises.

So far, Nintendo has only allowed Retro to work on their franchises, but not also make their own ones.

I think this last part is very important to realize as it's the key to Retro becomming a more "versatile" developer with a own identity.

To allow them to make own IPs, as well as potentially fund some of them, would be the first steps to realizing this potential.

What do you think?

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Wanting more than 2 or 3 quality unique games per gen in this day and age from a SINGLE studio is ridiculous. As technology increases, development times do to. It was easy for people to pop out games left and right in the SNES and N64 days, not so much anymore.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Retro are better than Rare.
ArataWata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ArataWata
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

Considering how they pumped out amazing title after amazing title I'd say they're on the right track to becoming the next RARE, if not better!

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I think they're the closest thing Nintendo has to Rare. Their games have always pushed the hardware to their limits and they've demonstrated their versatility with Donkey Kong Country Returns and their work on Mario Kart 7.

I would love to see smaller, experimental projects from Nintendo's studios so we get fun, quirky bite-sized games inbetween the big releases like Mario and Zelda.

deomag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deomag4
Member since 2013 • 86 Posts

Retro are better than Rare.spike6958

disagree

deomag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deomag4

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Retro are better than Rare.deomag4

disagree

unless you are talking about today's rare

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Retro is Retro, don't try to be somebody else, just be Retro..look at Capcom how they're screwing up all their old games because they're trying to be like Western devs. :P

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 spike6958

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Retro are better than Rare.deomag4

disagree

Retro made Metroid Prime, therefore, they are better.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="deomag4"]

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Retro are better than Rare.spike6958

disagree

Old Rare made Donkey Kong Country. I would say they are about even.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 spike6958
[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="deomag4"]

disagree

darkspineslayer

Retro made a better Donkey Kong Country, so no, there not even close.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="spike6958"] Retro made Metroid Prime, therefore, they are better.

False. Returns was good, but not DKC2 good.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Well Retro recently moved into a building that could house 1200 people. They cuurently only have between 51-200 employees as of 2012.

deomag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deomag4

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="spike6958"] Retro made Metroid Prime, therefore, they are better.spike6958

banjo kazooie, perfect dark, blast corps, conker's bad fur day and goldeneye  tell me a different story

like metroid prime, but meh not quite as much. DKC:Returns was solid but i still prefer the snes titles. Mario Kart 7 was fun but didn't do anything groundbreaking either.

Retro is a damn good company, i just prefer the old rare to be honest. I think if i picked my top 10 n64 games there would be more Rare titles than Nintendo, and that's not an easy feat as nintendo makes a lot of great games especially in those days.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Wanting more than 2 or 3 quality unique games per gen in this day and age from a SINGLE studio is ridiculous. As technology increases, development times do to. It was easy for people to pop out games left and right in the SNES and N64 days, not so much anymore.

WreckEm711

Agreed. More importantly, I don't think Retro necessarily needs to be a "new Rare" in order to make a similar impact. The two are compared because they are known for developing exclusively on Nintendo platforms and creating software using Nintendo properties. However, I think Retro's upside to Nintendo is actually greater if they are ever given the green light to create a new IP. Most of Rare's past concepts piggybacked off of Nintendo's established ideas, but I think Retro might be the Nintendo-owned development studio best-equipped to create a new hit series under the HD model of game design, given what they've accomplished with past hardware and with the recent expansion of the team itself.

One of these days, I'd like to see what Retro can do without having to live up to the expectations set by established IPs, like Metroid and Donkey Kong. Much like what Monolith has started to do, I think this is a studio that can give Nintendo's library of titles a unique set of quality games, and that would be huge moving forward.

deomag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deomag4

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

Madmangamer364

Agreed. More importantly, I don't think Retro necessarily needs to be a "new Rare" in order to make a similar impact. The two are compared because they are known for developing exclusively on Nintendo platforms and creating software using Nintendo properties. However, I think Retro's upside to Nintendo is actually greater if they are ever given the green light to create a new IP. Most of Rare's past concepts piggybacked off of Nintendo's established ideas, but I think Retro might be the Nintendo-owned development studio best-equipped to create a new hit series under the HD model of game design, given what they've accomplished with past hardware and with the recent expansion of the team itself.

One of these days, I'd like to see what Retro can do without having to live up to the expectations set by established IPs, like Metroid and Donkey Kong. Much like what Monolith has started to do, I think this is a studio that can give Nintendo's library of titles a unique set of quality games, and that would be huge moving forward.

I agree with this 100% actualy. I personally really want to see what Retro can do making their own new IP. I was pretty excited by early footage of raven blade so i know they can make something pretty awesome. 

Hell i wouldn't mind if nintendo tried to organize another studio like retro again.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

They are their own studio. And a really good one at that. I can't compare them to how good they are to Rare because I only played Metroid Prime. I was never even a fan of Donkey Kong Country to begin with, so I never picked up Returns. 

And honestly, I haven't played many Rare games either. But I played a TON of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I enjoyed DK 64 as well. But not nearly as much.

What I mean is, they both made some excelent games. But yeah, I would love to see what Rare does if they make a new ip as well.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="spike6958"] Retro made Metroid Prime, therefore, they are better.spike6958

Rare also made Killer Instict,GoldenEye,Perfect Dark,Jet Force Gemini,Banjo Kazooie,Banjo Tooie,Conker's Bad Fur Day and Starfox Adventures.(among others)

So,take that.

Retro Studios won't reach them untill they've made a bunchload of high quality games for Nintendo.

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

I loved the Rare games on the N64, but I hated DKC. I like DKC Returns and Metroid Prime a lot too... Metroid Prime alone probably tips the scales over Conker, Banjo Kazooie, and Donkey Kong 64 for me, which I love, but Star Fox Adventures really made me hate Rare so I definitely like Retro more.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] Old Rare made Donkey Kong Country. I would say they are about even.GreekGameManiac

Rare also made Killer Instict,GoldenEye,Perfect Dark,Jet Force Gemini,Banjo Kazooie,Banjo Tooie,Conker's Bad Fur Day and Starfox Adventures.(among others)

So,take that.

Retro Studios won't reach them untill they've made a bunchload of high quality games for Nintendo.

But Retro wouldn't be able to make more games until they either move into their new building (If they haven't already) and hire more employees since their new building houses 1200 Employees; Retro currently has 51-200 employees.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 spike6958

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] Old Rare made Donkey Kong Country. I would say they are about even.GreekGameManiac

So,take that.

Not one of those games comes close to the quality of Metroid Prime. In fact the only games on that list that are good are Conker's BFD and Starfox Adventures. Everything else is mediocre at best, and only hyped by N64 fans because they system had nothing else outside of Nintendo's usual outings.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

So,take that.

Actually Rare and Midway made Killer Instinct. I'd say, let Retro work on a new Perfect Dark (after reacquiring the IP) or spy type FPS and then we'll see who's the better dev Free Radical or Retro. Retro however did make Metroid Prime which is one of my favorite games as well. We'll see.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="spike6958"] Retro made a better Donkey Kong Country, so no, there not even close.nini200

So,take that.

Actually Rare and Midway made Killer Instinct. I'd say, let Retro work on a new Perfect Dark (after reacquiring the IP) or spy type FPS and then we'll see who's the better dev Free Radical or Retro. Retro however did make Metroid Prime which is one of my favorite games as well. We'll see.

It's Retro, not even worth comparing.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="deomag4"]

disagree

darkspineslayer

+1 Love Metroid Prime but Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 occupy a very dear place in my heart (or brain, rather). Diddy's Kong Quest is basically my favorite game.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

DKC: Returns was about as good as the orginal trilogy on the SNES, stupid roll manuever aside. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were amazing games (Prime 3 was just okay in comparison), and Mario kart 7 was a worhty addition to the Mario kart series.

I'd say Retro is at the very least close to old rare's level of quality. 

ssj_neo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 ssj_neo
Member since 2010 • 162 Posts

Seems like they already are. Let them make Eternal Darkness 2 and Raven blade and I will be happy.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="spike6958"] Retro made a better Donkey Kong Country, so no, there not even close.spike6958

So,take that.

Not one of those games comes close to the quality of Metroid Prime. In fact the only games on that list that are good are Conker's BFD and Starfox Adventures. Everything else is mediocre at best, and only hyped by N64 fans because they system had nothing else outside of Nintendo's usual outings.

Uh,they are too many.

They beat MP,if they unite.

Stop exaggerating already.

MP is just one game.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

So,take that.

GreekGameManiac

Uh,they are too many.

They beat MP,if they unite.

Stop exaggerating already.

MP is just one game.

Metroid Prime spans 3 games actually.. :P

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreekGameManiac

WreckEm711

We meant the first one,and you knew that.

And that's 4 games.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

GreekGameManiac

We meant the first one,and you knew that.

And that's 4 games.

He he he, yeah I knew, I was just giving you a hard time :P

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GreekGameManiac

He he he, yeah I knew, I was just giving you a hard time :P

WreckEm711

Love you too,man.

But yeah,i do think that if they make a variety of good games,they can be considered the new Rare.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I know that normally, Quality > Quantity.. but Rare did so much more in less time than retro has. Retro has only made 4 games in 11 years. Rare made about 2-3 good- amazing games every single year.

While I think Metriod prime is better than any game Rare made if Im going to be honest, rare did more for Nintendo and even the gaming industry than Retro ever has. Without Rare, the n64s library is borderline pitiful. But rare gave Nintendo the n64 a ton of amazing games making it JUST enough to compete with the psone, which was getting games from every developer on the planet, which is just a testament to how good they were at the time. They put out 7AAAes and 5AAes for the n64 at IGN. Back in a time when igns ratings weren't nearly as inflated as they are today. Imagine ANY one developer doing that today. Its almost unthinkable. We'd bow to them as gods.

Sure, you can look back and say certain games are dated, or whatever. But thats not really fair. Rare gave N64 owners fantastic games to play when it actually mattered. Gamers and reviewers loved them at the time. And they weren't afraid to try something new and different. And alot of them still hold up really well today also.

Retro imo needs to expand. They need more parts, and need better funding and support by Nintendo to be to what Rare was to Nintendo at the time.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345

Retro is Retro, don't try to be somebody else, just be Retro..look at Capcom how they're screwing up all their old games because they're trying to be like Western devs. :P

superbuuman

I didn't say they should becomme a carbon copy of them but simply that I'd like to see some new IPs and more games from them.

I feel Retro is the type of company that could shine in graphically intensive games and also make their own shooter, action-adventure, platformer, fighter, racing game, ect. IPs.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nameless12345

Retro are better than Rare.spike6958

For you, but for me the Prime trilogy, DKC:R and MK7 don't outweight the whole (huge) collection of games Rare made in the past...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nameless12345

[QUOTE="spike6958"] Retro made a better Donkey Kong Country, so no, there not even close.nini200

So,take that.

Yeah, I agree.

Games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Project IGI, No One Lives Forever, XIII, ect.

There should be more "stealthy FPS" type games and not just "guns-a-blazin'" ones... (but should still have a fun multi-player with lots of options)

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GreekGameManiac

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Retro are better than Rare.nameless12345

For you, but for me the Prime trilogy, DKC:R and MK7 don't outweight the whole (huge) collection of games Rare made in the past...

This.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Wanting more than 2 or 3 quality unique games per gen in this day and age from a SINGLE studio is ridiculous.

WreckEm711

Not really. Platinum Games does it all the time.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Retro are better than Rare.nameless12345

Rare's only good game is Banjo Kazooie though.

GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreekGameManiac

Rare's only good game is Banjo Kazooie though.

Pffrbt

>_>

That's such a naive and idiotic statement.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

If nintendo has any say in what they do or create then hell no, their games will suck ass and they will flounder just like damn near everything nintendo touches these days.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

[QUOTE="deomag4"]

[QUOTE="spike6958"]Retro are better than Rare.spike6958

disagree

I'm more of a Banjo Kazooie kind of guy, so I'm gonna disagree with you on that.