can i use any SD card with my wii to store games on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ironre5 (1164 posts) -

hey guys im looking at two SD cards right now...one says its for the wii and the other doesnt say anything...the thing is the one for the wii is like 12 bucks for a GB of memory and the other is 3 bucks for 2gb...both as sandisk....which one to buy...here are the links for both

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Gaming-Memory-retail-package/dp/B0009PB0O6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222029644&sr=8-2

thats the wii one

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Card-SDSDB-2048-Package/dp/B000J47W12/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222029644&sr=8-3

this is the non wii one..

thanks for the help guys

#2 Posted by SER69 (7096 posts) -
Both should work. But just so you know, you cant actually play games off of the SD cards, you would need to transfer them to the Wii to play.
#3 Posted by judog1 (24636 posts) -
The wii one is just a normal sd card all that is special about it is that it has a sticker that says wii on it.
#4 Posted by SuperSmashBro1 (14237 posts) -

There is absolutely no difference between them except 1 says Nintendo on it.

Go with the cheaper one!

#5 Posted by air_wolf_cubed (10233 posts) -
Also, only 2 gigs or lower
#6 Posted by Ironre5 (1164 posts) -

Also, only 2 gigs or lowerair_wolf_cubed

wait what? are you saying i cant get an SD card bigger than 2 gigs?

#7 Posted by air_wolf_cubed (10233 posts) -

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]Also, only 2 gigs or lowerIronre5

wait what? are you saying i cant get an SD card bigger than 2 gigs?

if you want to use them with your Wii
#8 Posted by cloud_strife007 (160 posts) -
the way larger capacity sd cards store memory isn't compatable with the way wii stores and retrievs data. I bought an SD which was obviosly the same exact one as the wii one, but 20 bucks less.
#9 Posted by KungfuKitten (21280 posts) -
Your best bet is a 2GB microSD card with SD card adapter.
These are cheaper than normal SD cards because they are so popular in mobile phones now.
I found a 2GB micro+adapter for 14 euro in a common shop.
#10 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
any SD card works, as long as it respects the wii limit of 2GB. so the SD with 2GB and no wii tag works