Can i play Gameboy games on the DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rockin_alex_uk (87 posts) -
I just recently bought a DS and have a bunch of old gameboy games i would still like to play.  Is there an adapter or piece of hardware that enables me to play my gameboy games on the DS.  If so could you please post me a link to the item.  Cheers!
#2 Posted by DiabeticDood (4331 posts) -
I think GBA games just work...
#3 Posted by FLSTS (2425 posts) -
you can play the games that are the small rectangular but not the big square ones.
#4 Posted by Thevincent56 (794 posts) -
GBA games only, not the regular GB games *I noticed everyone else who posted before has an avatar relating to a smiley face:o*
#5 Posted by Jemdude (6045 posts) -
You can play Gameboy Advance games, but you can't play Gameboy Color and original Gameboy games on the DS.
#6 Posted by Xmaster888 (138 posts) -
You can play Gameboy Advance games, but you can't play Gameboy Color and original Gameboy games on the DS.Jemdude
yeah don't try, i played a gbc game on my gba sp and it malfunctioned. I think the same thing will happen to the ds
#7 Posted by DiabeticDood (4331 posts) -
GBA games only, not the regular GB games *I noticed everyone else who posted before has an avatar relating to a smiley face:o*Thevincent56
My Icon used to be Hobs before the icons got updated... I got this one off my web site
#8 Posted by PwningStick (453 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jemdude"]You can play Gameboy Advance games, but you can't play Gameboy Color and original Gameboy games on the DS.Xmaster888
yeah don't try, i played a gbc game on my gba sp and it malfunctioned. I think the same thing will happen to the ds

I just played Link's Awakening DX (gameboy color game) on my GBA SP today so your gba probably malfunctioned from something completly unrelated.
#9 Posted by Tking1293 (1222 posts) -
Only Gameboy Advance games work in the DS, which means you have to keep your GBA to play Game Boy Color and original GameBoy games.
#10 Posted by Xmaster888 (138 posts) -
im pretty sure its the game, it takes time to malfunction though. it even says in the instructions to the GBA SP not to play old GB games
#11 Posted by Zohluff (321 posts) -
it even says in the instructions to the GBA SP not to play old GB gamesXmaster888
It does? That's kind of weak. Would it be possible for Nintendo to make an add-on to play old Gameboy and GBC games? Or is a special kind of internal gizmo-doodle required? I really want to play my Tomb Raider on the DS.
#12 Posted by numbah91 (33 posts) -
GB(C) games don't even fit in the slot for me. ._.
#13 Posted by jacobs06 (498 posts) -
gamboy and gamboy colour games arent supposed to fit for the ds.
#14 Posted by KevinCamp24 (626 posts) -

It said on Nintendo's website that you could play old GB games on an SP, because it said:

Q: Will the cartridge get in the way of my hands when I play?

A: No, not at all.