Buying Wii U - doubts

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GuKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GuKre
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey guys, I'm new here and have some questions, hope you can answer.

Well I haven't had a nintendo console since Nintendo 64. I went to Dreamcast, Xbox, PS3 and now PS4.

Anyway, what I'm missing nowadays are games that are actually FUN to play. Not like those you finish the story and never touch the game ever again.

So I'm thinking of buying Wii U, since it has Mario Kart 8 (I still play Mario Kart 64 till these days!) and some other good platformers like Super Mario 3D World.

Well, another good point for Wii U, is that I heard it can play Wii games. But how is the gameplay for those games on Wii U? They play good with the pro controller, for example? (EDIT: Just saw that they only work with the Wii controller...)

Since I never owned a Wii, I think I could really enjoy it's vast lineup of games, like they were new.

I can see that for people who played all the Wii games, the backwards compatibility might not be a huge thing. But do you think the Wii U has that much better value for someone that never player Wii or Gamecube?

I think it could fit good as a 2nd console for me (or maybe even turn into my primary). Should I ever want to play those AAA games, I have my PS4 next to it, anyway.

Cheers!

GuKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GuKre

farrell2k, and how do the wii games play on the wii U? I mean, gameplay-wise and also how is it graphically, do they get an upscale for HD?

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

You say you have a few questions...but you don't actually ASK any? lol

GuKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GuKre

Oh I don't? Let me recheck my post...

"But how is the gameplay for those games on Wii U? They play good with the pro controller, for example?"

"But do you think the Wii U has that much better value for someone that never player Wii or Gamecube?"

hmm...

Anyway, point is, I would like to know from Wii U owners if the system has great value if bought right now? Specially considering I did not own a Wii nor a Gamecube and maybe could play some old games on the Wii U.

Maybe I add more "??" at the end of the sentences with questions.

@Master_Of_Fools said:

You say you have a few questions...but you don't actually ASK any? lol

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Of_Fools

@gukre: Sorry,. it just kinda sounded like you were having a conversation with yourself, like talking aloud rather then asking us. But yeah the Wii U is worth it, a hell of a lot more worth it then the PS4 and Xbox One right now lol.

GuKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GuKre

@farrell2k Cool, good to see someone in a similar situation having a great time with it. I'll have a look at deals and might get one together with Mario Kart 8.

@Master_Of_Fools all cool my friend. Funny thing, the game I play the most on my PS4 at the moment is Rayman Legends. It will get better with time, but still the lineup is quite thin.

@farrell2k said:

The Wiiu seems to upscals from 480 to 720 on my tv, as I see no black bars, but they still do look like wii games. :) Game play wise it is the same. I think things load a bit faster too. I am currently making my way through the force unleashed games and I am having a blast!

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@gukre: Sorry,. it just kinda sounded like you were having a conversation with yourself, like talking aloud rather then asking us. But yeah the Wii U is worth it, a hell of a lot more worth it then the PS4 and Xbox One right now lol.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@gukre: Rayman Legends is still the best on the Wii U, seeing as it was made from the ground up for it lol. In my opinion all the PS4 has is Infamous. I never in my life have bought a Sony product but will be getting a PS4, JUST for Batman Arkham Knight and Destiny. (Yes I know 2 Multiplats) If they were on Wii U I would have been good to go though...

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

If you skipped the Wii, you have a LOT of games to fill both a backlog, and many upcoming Wii U games!

At this point, it should be a must-buy if you're even considering it, because you'll have some serious gems from the Wii era to play, and also more exclusives on the way. There's no denying that the Wii U is a pretty good purchase right now.

A few games to start with on both the Wii and Wii U:

Wii:

- Super Mario Galaxy 1/2

- Donkey Kong Country Returns

- Red Steel 2 (highly underrated, the game can make you sweat, and is a really fantastic experience for Wii Motion Plus!)

- Skyward Sword

- Xenoblade Chronicles

Wii U:

- Pikmin 3

- The Wonderful 101

- Super Mario 3D World

- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

- Mario Kart 8 (but you already knew that!)

Additionally, the Wii U has some awesome upcoming games like Bayonetta 2, and Monolith Soft's yet unnamed "X" project (the people who made Xenoblade Chronicles). Then of course, by the time you catch up with all of the above, Smash Bros will be upon you! Any gamer buying a Wii U now will be busy for quite some time, especially considering you have the Wii library to catch up on!

Serbine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Serbine
Member since 2005 • 10934 Posts

@gukre said:

Hey guys, I'm new here and have some questions, hope you can answer.

Well I haven't had a nintendo console since Nintendo 64. I went to Dreamcast, Xbox, PS3 and now PS4.

Anyway, what I'm missing nowadays are games that are actually FUN to play. Not like those you finish the story and never touch the game ever again.

So I'm thinking of buying Wii U, since it has Mario Kart 8 (I still play Mario Kart 64 till these days!) and some other good platformers like Super Mario 3D World.

Well, another good point for Wii U, is that I heard it can play Wii games. But how is the gameplay for those games on Wii U? They play good with the pro controller, for example? (EDIT: Just saw that they only work with the Wii controller...)

Since I never owned a Wii, I think I could really enjoy it's vast lineup of games, like they were new.

I can see that for people who played all the Wii games, the backwards compatibility might not be a huge thing. But do you think the Wii U has that much better value for someone that never player Wii or Gamecube?

I think it could fit good as a 2nd console for me (or maybe even turn into my primary). Should I ever want to play those AAA games, I have my PS4 next to it, anyway.

Cheers!

The Wii games play the same way as before, though something I find neat is that you can set it so the gameplay show up on the Wii U Pad "even though it a Wii game, but you can't controller it with the pad tho I believe".

Something I must warn you about be prepare to use up cash on just controllers only, you got the Wii U Pro Controller *assuming you want something that last longer than the Pad* that act as an alternative for the Wiii U Pad going for 50 bucks, gonna need a pair of Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk come to $60 total *40 for Wii Remote Plus, 20 for Nunchuk*, if you plan on downloading some Virtual Console/WiiWare games you miss out on than you need a Wii Classic Controller Pro to play them that another $20, you can imagine the cost if you gotta buy multiple controllers for multiplayer action, another thing not all game support each controller type so it a juggling act.

Aside from that the Wii U pretty awesome console indeed.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@Serbine:

Or you can just use the Wii U pro controller for all the virtual console stuff, no need for any kind of classic controller.

As for OP, Yeah I like the system, Kind of like the gamecube was for me. Definitley a secondary system wont lie, But a second system worth having because some of the exclusives are/will be just that good.

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

If you're on the fence you might want to wait til E3 and see what Nintendo has to offer in the future. As of right now the Wii U is only a decent console. You already mentioned that you'd like to play Wii games on it, and that's something you can sink hundreds of hours into. Although beware, if you're used to HD graphics you're going to feel a bit "eew" at first.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

If there's one thing Nintendo knows its fun games. Wii U and controllers and all your friends over for a weekend and you'll have a fantastic time. And in the end that's all that really matters. Sure on some of those story games you'll get some satisfaction for beating the game but its not pure fun like playing a game with all your friends.

GuKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GuKre

Thanks everybody for your input.

Since the E3 is almost here anyway, I will probably wait till then and see if anything happen. Probably not so much.

About the costs of buying wii remote, wii games etc. that's a good point. I'll see if one of my friends that had it can lend the remote controllers to me, as they aren't using it anymore.

Disperse420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Disperse420

The Wii U is such an under appreciated trashed console. So sad. Though I'm happy I have one to experience the amazing that is HD Nintendo :p

gablebon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gablebon

The Legend of Zelda Shard of Nightmare teaser CAM :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wksf3Mpv0xM

GuKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GuKre

@farrell2k: hmm, can you tell me how "generic" is this Afterglow brand? I mean, are they famous or something?

Normally I refrain from buying generic controllers, but once in a while some brands make them good.

@farrell2k said:

This is the wiimote and nunchuck I bought. Less than $20 after shipping. Works great for wiimotion+ games like Skyward sword. You can get 3rd party pro controllers for $20 as well. I have a Nyko that has the stick layout of a 360 controller. Got it for $18 on ebay.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@gukre said:

@farrell2k: hmm, can you tell me how "generic" is this Afterglow brand? I mean, are they famous or something?

Normally I refrain from buying generic controllers, but once in a while some brands make them good.

@farrell2k said:

This is the wiimote and nunchuck I bought. Less than $20 after shipping. Works great for wiimotion+ games like Skyward sword. You can get 3rd party pro controllers for $20 as well. I have a Nyko that has the stick layout of a 360 controller. Got it for $18 on ebay.

I've never used the Wii ones, but I do own an Afterglow 360 controller for my PC and it's great. Sturdy and feels exactly like the one MS makes. In other words, I wouldn't refrain from buying another one of their controllers if I wanted a new controller.