Best Professor Layton Game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10865 posts) -

So I just finished Unwound Future and can now say I've played through all three games and it made me wonder. Which game, out of the three that have been released outside of Japan so far, do you guys think is the best?

#2 Posted by pizzamanopenup (1350 posts) -

Unwound Future had the best story.

#3 Posted by sandlot76 (53266 posts) -

I'll be curious to see what the outcome of this is. I've only played the first time (the curious village) and I am waiting for the others to go through a price break or two.

#4 Posted by Krazykid3333 (442 posts) -

Unwound Future. It had awesome puzzles, an awesome story, and an awesome ending.(Italmost made me cry)Plus it had a pretty good plot twist.

#5 Posted by LaytonsCat (3652 posts) -

They were all great. My favorite is the first. Not because it does anything better than the other two it was just the first time I had experienced it. (Honestly all three games are very simular) The second had an outstanding ending and the third had the best story overall. But the villiage in the first has a charm that was never recaptured

#7 Posted by knives913 (133 posts) -
I only played Curious Village completely because I didn't like Diabolical Box at all. It bored me to death. I still need to play Unwound Future but it looks like it's the best of the 3 so YAY!
#8 Posted by Shy_Guy_Red (17133 posts) -

Either Curious Village or Unwound Future, choosing between those is quite difficult though.

Curious Village has the whole "it was first," thing going for it, but aside from that Unwound Future outdoes it in just about everything. However, Unwound Future does have a few problems of its own, and I preferred the climax in Curious Village, but overall I can't really choose, so I just voted for Curious Village since it has less votes, and would simply recommend both.

#9 Posted by buft (1793 posts) -
Im about halfway through the first game, it doesnt surprise me that its a popular choice, i was surprised at how deep the story runs and how well the puzzles fit into the world. it really brought puzzle games back into the mainstream for me.
#10 Posted by CrankyStorming (223 posts) -

Why does everyone seem to hold up Lost Future as the best when that was the one that gave us a gaping plothole right near the end in regards to the big reveal on the thrid-act bad guy, on top of being completely ridiculous? Pandora's Box not only didn't have any gaping plotholes, certainly nothing that stood out within context, but was much more believable and tragic. Though Curious Village was the only one I ever got stuck on.

#11 Posted by Shy_Guy_Red (17133 posts) -

Why does everyone seem to hold up Lost Future as the best when that was the one that gave us a gaping plothole right near the end in regards to the big reveal on the thrid-act bad guy, on top of being completely ridiculous? Pandora's Box not only didn't have any gaping plotholes, certainly nothing that stood out within context, but was much more believable and tragic. Though Curious Village was the only one I ever got stuck on.

CrankyStorming

All Layton games have one ridiculously huge twist, that's nothing new to the series. I found all 3 to be about the same in terms of how believable they were.

I don't know what plot holes you're speaking of too, but I never had any problem with them if they exist, as they are usually small ones, but which ones were you referring to?

#12 Posted by vgamefreak225 (270 posts) -

I never really played Professor Layton Games, but I do have one The Curious Villiage. I didn't really like it and wasn't interested. I never finished it.

#13 Posted by bls_essex (266 posts) -

Diabolical Box got boring at the midpoint but then it picked up again and the ending was fantastic. All three games are good. I'm having trouble picking a favorite one. The first one had a certain charm to it.

#14 Posted by starwarsgeek112 (3472 posts) -

Is it necessary to play these games in order or can I just pick up any of them? I really want to try out one of these games but I'm not sure which one to pick up.

#15 Posted by Shy_Guy_Red (17133 posts) -

Is it necessary to play these games in order or can I just pick up any of them? I really want to try out one of these games but I'm not sure which one to pick up.

starwarsgeek112

It's not completely necessary for 2 and 3, but it is the best way to go, and would be difficult to go back to 1.

For example, you won't miss anything if you play Layton 2 or 3 in either order, as both games cover separate stories that don't relate to one another. However, if you play either game before the first you will have part of the plot in Layton 1 spoiled, so it's recommended you play Curious Village first, and then the order isn't that important after that, though it would probably be better to play 2 and then 3 if given the choice.