#1 Posted by Behardy24 (4514 posts) -

I have been building a coin collection for the last year and I have collected a half liter of coke bottle of coins. My plans are to transfer my coins to cash and buy a NES at the start of July. (Never played an NES or the games) I'm looking to start buying some of the best NES games ever released, so what are your suggestions? I'll probably start buying the NES games at a retro electronics store that's an hour away from me and at ebay/amazon.

#2 Edited by aia89 (2266 posts) -

Little Nemo, Metroid, Super Mario Bros 1,2,3

#3 Posted by bunchanumbers (1340 posts) -

depends on what you're into. Best platformers are the SMB games. My favorites include Blaster Master, Dragon Warrior 1-4, Final Fantasy, RC Pro Am, Ice Hockey, the TMNT games (including the first one), Tetris, Zelda, and the Castlevania games. There's also tons of other great games like Battletoads and the Double Dragon games. It's really a matter of your tastes.

#4 Posted by mattykovax (22693 posts) -

Legend of Zelda, SMB 3, punchout. However I would save a few more dollars, go SNES and buy Super Metroid, best game ever.

#5 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7310 posts) -

The Mega Man games are the best the NES has to offer. Super Mario Bros 3 is also a must have game. I would also pick up Baseball Stars, Battletoads, and Blaster Master. Most of the library has not held up very well, but these games are still a lot of fun.

#6 Edited by juboner (462 posts) -

Dragon Warrior 4 and Crystalis are really good rpg's for nes. Zelda but it is pretty tough awesome for its time though, I actually enjoyed it more than Link to the past bc it was actually a challenge. TMNT 3 Manhattan Project great 2 player game.

Oh looks like @bunchanumbers summed it up pretty good.

#7 Posted by KBFloYd (13790 posts) -

wizards and warriors

gunsmoke

blaster master

final fantasy 1

hogans alley

ikari warriors

kid niki

pro wrestling

rad racer

rygar

#8 Posted by yokofox33 (29860 posts) -

The three Super Mario games and Megaman 3 were my favorites. Good times for sure to be had with those gems.

#9 Posted by Sphensen (768 posts) -

duck hunt because apparently it's a two player game, I wish I would of known

#10 Posted by jdc6305 (3889 posts) -

Mega Man 2,3

Blaster Master

Castlevania 1,3

Metroid

Mario Bros 1,2,3

Ninja Gaiden 1,2,3

Zelda

These are some of the best. Be prepared NES games are hard as hell. Some of the above games took me years to beat. Blaster master took me 2 or 3 years same with the Castlevania games. It's been 20 something years and I still can't beat the Ninja Gaiden games. People cry about how hard Dark Souls is. DS has nothing on nes games. Todays games are easy as hell compared to back then.

#11 Edited by bunchanumbers (1340 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/top-100-nes-games/

This list pretty much seals it and should cover almost all bases and genres the NES had to offer.

Oh and while Duck Hunt is a fantastic game you will need a CRT TV to use it. Any zapper game does not work with the new flat screen TVs.

#12 Posted by Arlath (1 posts) -

Everything above, especially Megaman 3,2.

Punchout (Mike Tyson), Dick Tracy, Gun.smoke and Kirby's Adventure were a blast back when for me. I believe only Punchout & Gun.Smoke would still be entertaining these days. imho

#13 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2397 posts) -

While a lot of solid games already listed on this thread, but I'd like to add Star Force and Star Soldier (Soldier being the sequel). These games are ridiculously addictive and also very hard. I'd have to look through my collection to find some more hidden gems.

#14 Posted by bunchanumbers (1340 posts) -

One of my favorite shooters was a game called Section Z. Also a game that is great but not really known is Star Tropics. Its kinda like Zelda mixed with zelda 2 with better action and yoyos.

#15 Edited by jdc6305 (3889 posts) -

Heres a couple more I almost forgot.

Bionic Commando

Life Force

Contra

Super Contra

Cobra Triangle

Captain Skyhawk

RC Pro Am 2

Double Dragon 1,2

Batman

#16 Posted by juboner (462 posts) -

@jdc6305: I really like captain skyhawk also, still got it.

#17 Posted by PopeAnonymousXV (41 posts) -

T&C Surf Designs, Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde, and Dragon's Lair. Trust me. ;)

#18 Posted by thehig1 (2194 posts) -

@popeanonymousxv said:

T&C Surf Designs, Dr. Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde, and Dragon's Lair. Trust me. ;)

oh sure, might as well add back to the future, Action 52, Super Pitfall, and Ghostbusers to that list.

#19 Posted by smitherton4 (66 posts) -

Jackal is a sweet one that no one has mentioned.

#20 Posted by spiggy500 (2040 posts) -

River City Ransom, Super Mario 3, and Mega Man 2 are my favorites.

#21 Posted by Litchie (16367 posts) -

@aia89 said:

OMG Little Nemo! I thought I was the only one who've played this game. :P Seriously, it's an awesome game. Should be talked about more often.

#22 Edited by Behardy24 (4514 posts) -

@aia89: Thanks for the suggestions.

#23 Posted by Behardy24 (4514 posts) -

@Litchie said:

@aia89 said:

OMG Little Nemo! I thought I was the only one who've played this game. :P Seriously, it's an awesome game. Should be talked about more often.

I'll look into it. I know I'll buy it one day for sure.